PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: Welcome back Beno (and Horry, too)

Spurs Brazil
11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Jeff McDonald: Welcome back Beno (and Horry, too)
Former Spurs guard Beno Udrih is back in the AT&T Center after a wild week that saw his rights belong to three teams in four days. In reality, he never left town.

On Monday, the Spurs dealt Udrih to Minnesota, which promptly waived him. On Thursday, he signed with the Sacramento Kings -- who just so happen to be the Spurs' opponent tonight.

Udrih, still recovering from a broken finger suffered in the preseason, won't dress tonight for Sacramento. He won't be forced to suffer the surrealism of donning a Kings jersey for the first time in San Antonio.

He will get to pick up his NBA championship ring, which ought to be surreal enough. The tentative plan is to present him with it on the court before the start of the game.

Once his finger heals, Udrih ought to have a chance at minutes in Sacramento, especially with starting point guard Mike Bibby out for at least the next five weeks with a torn ligament in his thumb.

Udrih's former Spurs teammates say they will be happy to see Udrih again, even though it's as if he never left.

"It happened so fast. It's very strange," said Manu Ginobili, who dressed next to Udrih for the past three seasons. "That's the way the NBA is. We like him a lot, he's a great guy, and we enjoyed some great moments together. We're going to miss him."

And, speaking of comebacks ...

Spurs forward Robert Horry rejoined the team at Friday morning's shootaround, practicing for the first time in almost a month. He had been out on personal leave while tending to a family emergency in Houston. Horry won't dress tonight, either, but at least he's working out with the team again.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2007/11/jeff_mcdonald_w_2.html

T Park
11-02-2007, 03:42 PM
"It happened so fast. It's very strange," said Manu Ginobili, who dressed next to Udrih for the past three seasons. "That's the way the NBA is. We like him a lot, he's a great guy, and we enjoyed some great moments together. We're going to miss him."

God, why do you have to lie?

MoSpur
11-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Good to hear Horry is back.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
God, why do you have to lie?He didn't say anything about how he played basketball.

T Park
11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Hes full of crap in that "we all loved him"

I know they couldn't stand his ass.

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

What makes you think they weren't friends?

Anyway, I am very excited to get to see Beno tonight and am so pleased Rob is back!

:)

mardigan
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Beno doesnt seem like a bad guy, I doubt anyone really had any problems with him off the court. Hope he turns it around

ploto
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM

People here just do not understand that others do not hate Beno like this place does. He is very well-liked as a friend, and even casual Spurs fans do not have hatred for Beno. I will miss him and wish him all the best of luck.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I would totally party with that guy; I just wouldn't pay him millions of dollars to play basketball.

timvp
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Beno is a really nice guy. He's genuinely nice. The problem is he can't bring the ball up against a press defense and he's really, really, really dumb.

But that doesn't mean he isn't nice.

E20
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I would totally party with that guy; I just wouldn't pay him millions of dollars to play basketball.

timvp
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh and good news about Horry. Hopefully his family problems weren't serious and. Good to see that he's back with the team. :tu

whottt
11-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Even if Manu is lying...perhaps he's doing it to avoid stupid distractions...

You got a problem with that, T Owen? or should I call you R Arte?

FromWayDowntown
11-02-2007, 04:16 PM
You got a problem with that, T Owen? or should I call you R Arte?
That made me laugh.

I agree with the notion that Manu and all of the rest of the Spurs could very, very much like Beno Udrih as a person, even if he wasn't a very useful professional basketball player while in San Antonio. I don't have the sense that any of the Spurs dislike any of the other Spurs, which might explain the lack of any chemistry issues. I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with Manu expressing completely genuine thoughts about liking Beno. In fact, I'd bet that when Beno gets his ring tonight, he'll be surrounded by Spurs who will be extremely happy for him.

easjer
11-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, my coworker is moving from Houston to New York in a month. Genuinely nice guy, funny as hell, and made meetings bearable. I enjoyed drinking with him and bitching with him, and will genuinely be sorry to see him leave.

Doesn't mean I didn't want to tear my hair out working with him. He was a terrible coworker, dumping his shit on me, leaving crucial pieces to the last minute so I had to scramble to cover my ass, so on, and so forth.

Doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bad coworker.

I suspect the same is true with Beno.

Glad Horry is practicing with the team again; hope all is well with his daughter.

T Park
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
You would figure there would be some pissed at him for his lazy attitude, lazy work ethic, and how seriously he goes about his work.

You dont think theres someone on the team like a Matt bonner who is jealous of his natural skill and pissed that he doesn't work harder and utilize em?

Bruce bowen probobly.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome back Horry. :)
And we should be able to blow out Sacramento so if Udoka doesn't play I'm gonna shit a chicken.

nfg3
11-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Glad to see Horry back and I hope his family's situation improves. As for Beno personally I have nothing against him. He seemed like a nice guy and all but what I get from Spurs fans here is that he wasted an opportunity and really didn't have the Spur mindset/toughness we've all come to expect from our players. He just didn't fit in basketball wise and that happens. Once on Pop's S list you had better bust ass to get off it or you're going nowhere. I wish him well and I hope he gets it together but only he can do that.

sprrs
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Just as it's wrong to think anyone on the team hated Beno, it's also wrong to assume everyone loved him.

Pero
11-02-2007, 06:30 PM
The tentative plan is to present him with it on the court before the start of the game.

Will the people boo him?

T Park
11-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I would've had he worn the Spurs jersey.

But since hes now Sacramento's pile of rotting excrement, I would've prob just keep drinking my water.

wildbill2u
11-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Sometimes the coach just dislikes a player's skills or attitude. The players may have a different idea, but the coach makes the decision.

Look at what happened to Spanoulis in Houston with Van Gundy. The players reportedly thought he could play but JVG wouldn't give him the time of day.

Not saying Beno and Spanoulis are exact parallels, but there's never been any hint that Beno was a problem in the locker room, either from his own point of view or from those of his teammates.

freemeat
11-02-2007, 07:09 PM

A lot has been said about Beno on this board for years...some positive, mostly negative...but this is -- HANDS DOWN -- the most accurate statement about him that I have read.

Truer words were never spoken (at least about Beno).

v2freak
11-02-2007, 07:24 PM

I agree that Beno wasn't a good match with the Spurs but c'mon, there's no need to knock his personality.

TradeManu4Kobe
11-02-2007, 07:44 PM
so did beno get his ring? did he look happy?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Yea but it was during commercial so I doubt anyone will know.

Spurs Brazil
11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Beno Udrih was listed on the Kings' active roster but was not in uniform. He received

his 2007 championship ring before introductions and was greeted by the Spurs' Gregg

Popovich, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Bruce Bowen.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2007/11/tonight_spurs_vs_kings.html

TradeManu4Kobe
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Yea but it was during commercial so I doubt anyone will know.so kens didn't even record it and air it when they came back from the break? not even a lil clip? wow

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 10:48 PM

He was happy.

Pop gave it to Beno and they hugged.

Beno got a great cheer from the crowd and waved to them all.

One of my stinkers of a friend saw me watching the ceremony and booed Beno right in my ear just to bug me.
I hit him.

Timmy came over and gave Beno a congrats hug as did Tony and I believe Bruce.

Also today I got to touch one of the brand new rings. It was one of the owner's rings so not quite as blinged out as the players' rings.
But it was still a sight to see.
The owner had let my manager WEAR the ring and my manager brought it by so we could see it. :)

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Beno Udrih was listed on the Kings' active roster but was not in uniform. He received

his 2007 championship ring before introductions and was greeted by the Spurs' Gregg

Popovich, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Bruce Bowen.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2007/11/tonight_spurs_vs_kings.html

Beno is listed as number 19 now instead of 14.

T Park
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I had to admit, beno cleaned up nicely.

His coat and pants actually matched.

All hate aside, good luck in Sac Town Beno.

I gotta say though, not as nice a town to live in as SA. Take your heavy coat. BRR!!!

T Park
11-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Beno is listed as number 19 now instead of 14.

Either he wants a fresh start or someone has that number retired, or someone has 14 already.

jman3000
11-02-2007, 10:54 PM
i will always wonder how many half slovenian-half hispanic children he has here. little bastards.

T Park
11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
i will always wonder how many half slovenian-half hispanic children he has here. little bastards.

When you have a bunch of Ernesto Rodriguez's playing good ball and shooting left handed, you'll know.

angel_luv
Either he wants a fresh start or someone has that number retired, or someone has 14 already.

Yes, I wasn't sure which.

I know that wearing the number 9 is a tradition in Beno's family but 9 already was taken.

So I don't know if the 19 was to use the number 9 or if 19 has its own significance.

jman3000
how angel could like a player who is as un angel as they come is beyond me. i know he's slovenian... but wtf?

jman3000
11-02-2007, 10:57 PM

So I don't know if the 19 was to use the number 9 or if 19 has its own significance.

jman3000
11-02-2007, 10:57 PM
damn... ernesto rodriguez sounds like he could be a balla.

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
how angel could like a player who is as un angel as they come is beyond me. i know he's slovenian... but wtf?

Haha, I've wondered that myself.

damn... ernesto rodriguez sounds like he could be a balla.

Straight from Espada road on the southside, Ernesto Rodriguez straight ballin BOYEEEEEEEE

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I know that wearing the number 9 is a tradition in Beno's family but 9 already was taken.

Interesting.

Yeah, I dont THINK there was a 19 here in 04 05, nor 05 06 or 06 07.

So I don't know the reason for 14, and not 19...

ashbeeigh
11-02-2007, 11:03 PM

:lmao genius. Did he ever get your friend's phone number?

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 11:04 PM

If anyone needs an Angel, it is Beno.

Am I right? :)

jman3000
11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
:lmao genius. Did he ever get your friend's phone number?

he always had it..... i believe he tried to get in her pants, but she turned him down and they just watched some movies at his pad.

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
If anyone needs an Angel, it is Beno.

Am I right?

He needs an Angel that will slap him upside the head.

I don't think you'd qualify as that though :)

angel_luv
Interesting.

Yeah, I dont THINK there was a 19 here in 04 05, nor 05 06 or 06 07.

So I don't know the reason for 14, and not 19...

I love the number 14.

It was Hedo's number too when he was here. :)

angel_luv
He needs an Angel that will slap him upside the head.

I don't think you'd qualify as that though :)

You want me to hit on Beno? :lol

jman3000
11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
angel saves all her physical violence for me... which is not cool.

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 11:09 PM
angel saves all her physical violence for me... which is not cool.

I have decided to stop smacking you around since it is not nice to hit girls.

jman3000
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I will cut you.

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
OH DUDE ANGEL OWNED!!!!

Nice job Angel!!!

You want me to hit on Beno

No, he needs someone to literally to slap him upside the head.

Like you did with Jman.

Like I said, your not one for violence so you wouldn't do well haha.

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I will cut you.

With what a razor?

Last I saw, you didn't seem to own one.

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 11:20 PM
OH DUDE ANGEL OWNED!!!!

Nice job Angel!!!

No, he needs someone to literally to slap him upside the head.

Like you did with Jman.

Like I said, your not one for violence so you wouldn't do well haha.

:lol ty *curtsey*

Seriously though, if this getting traded and then being cut hasn't woken up Beno, than I don't know what help anyone can be to him.

I ,of course, wish him all the best.

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Seriously though, if this getting traded and then being cut hasn't woken up Beno, than I don't know what help anyone can be to him.

unfortunately he was signed up pretty quick.

I don't know if it will teach him much or not...

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
unfortunately he was signed up pretty quick.

I don't know if it will teach him much or not...

We'll hope for the best. :)

spurscenter
11-03-2007, 12:48 AM
can someone tell me what horrys problems were ?

thanks

exstatic
11-03-2007, 12:56 AM
It was never stated or announced. You're welcome.

ploto
11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/02/fullj.getty-76075860ce004_kings_spur.jpg
:cry

Que Gee
11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Hes full of crap in that "we all loved him"

:rolleyes

T Park
11-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Is that the best you could say?

Or do you have any more insightfull things to say?

ploto
11-03-2007, 07:34 PM
:rolleyes
Don't you know-- T Park has more inside knowledge on the Spurs than you do! :spin

sendman
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
he always had it..... i believe he tried to get in her pants, but she turned him down and they just watched some movies at his pad.

And you bought that?

Man...how stupid are you?
:donkey :sucker

smeagol
11-04-2007, 06:03 PM

How is that so?

Do you party with Manu, TP and the gang?