PDA

View Full Version : Cherry-picking The News

Nbadan
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Old Habits die hard for this administration...

White House Edits ABC News Then Takes it Back
November 02, 2007 12:21 PM

ABC News' Jonathan Karl Reports: News flash -- The White House has selectively edited a report on Iraq, taking out negative information and distorting the report's meaning.

This isn't about intelligence or weapons of mass destruction. It's my report on Thursday's evening on World News with Charles Gibson.

The report noted "violence in Iraq is down and down considerably" in virtually every category, but my report also noted that "there has been almost no political progress on the national level" and that "U.S. officials know military gains won't mean much if the Iraqi government doesn't get its act together."

The White House sent out an edited version of my report in an official White House publication called "White House Iraq Update."

Iraq Update is put together by the National Security Council and distributed by the White House via email to government officials, Congressional staffers, radio & television talk show hosts, journalists and foreign policy experts.

As edited by the White House, my report looked like an unqualified declaration of success in Iraq. The White House e-mail publication is headlined: "In Case You Missed It: "Violence Is Down in Iraq and Down Considerably."

Here's is what it included from my report:

CHARLES GIBSON, ABC NEWS: "At the Pentagon today, military officials gave one of the most upbeat assessments of the security situation in Iraq that we have heard since the opening months of the war. Jonathan Karl is at the Pentagon tonight. Jon?"

JONATHAN KARL, ABC NEWS: "Charlie, nobody over here is anywhere near ready to declare victory. But the military statistics tell an unmistakable story. Violence in Iraq is down. And down considerably.

"Baghdad's marketplaces are slowly coming back to life, as violent attacks in Iraq have fallen to less than half of what they were a year ago. Until recently, the trends had been deadly and consistent, violence steadily increasing to an all-time high in June. Since then, however, attacks have fallen four straight months -- in every category."

LT. GEN. RAY ODIERNO: "What I'm confident about, is the progress we're making I think is real."

KARL: "Roadside bombs fell in October to an average of 20 a day. Still high, but the lowest level since October 2004. Iraqi civilian deaths have fallen to a third of where they were a year ago. And after the deadliest summer ever for US forces in Iraq, US combat deaths fell to 29 last month, the lowest level in more than 3 years."

MICHAEL O'HANLON, BROOKINGS INSTITUTION: "The fact that we're seeing a durable trend over half a year time period tells us something real is going on. It doesn't mean, however, that it's guaranteed to last. …"

Here is what the White House left out:

O'HANLON: ... and it doesn't answer the questions about political progress.

KARL: In fact, there's been almost no political progress on the national level, and U.S. officials know military gains won't mean much if the Iraqi government doesn't get its act together, which is one reason the Pentagon doesn't even want to use the word "winning."

[To Defense Secretary] You're not ready to say we're winning, that the surge is working --

ROBERT GATES [Defense Secretary]: (From tape.) I think – I think that those end up being loaded words. I think we have been very successful. We need to continue being successful.

KARL: Today, Defense Secretary Gates said that the reduction in violence would not have been possible without the surge of 30,000 additional troops into Iraq, but, Charlie, those troops are going home in the coming months, raising the question of whether the violence will go up when they leave.

GIBSON: Jonathan Karl tonight reporting from the Pentagon, thanks.

After ABC News expressed concern about the selective editing of the report, White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe acknowledged it was inappropriate and agreed to sent out the full text of the ABC report.

"The White House understands your concern and the full text of your report will be released to the same distribution list so that recipients have a chance to see what the entire report was about."

ABC News (http://blogs.abcnews.com/rapidreport/2007/11/white-house-edi.html)

Yonivore
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Hold on there.

ABC News is complaining the White House edited a report of theirs?

What's keeping ABC News from airing the entire report?

In fact, I watch Good Morning America this morning and the bit about the lack of political progress was on the program.

If the White House chooses to release a report touting the decline in violence and leave out material related to tangential matters, such as the political situation -- which, I believe, the White House has talked about in other materials, interviews, and reports -- what's the big deal?

The fact remains, Violence in Iraq is down, and it's down dramatically. That's good news.

No one was censored, the White House -- as NBAdan implied -- isn't censoring the news or vetting reports before they're aired, they simply chose to include good news, reported by ABC, in a report about the good news from Iraq.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 04:11 PM
The political situation in Iraq is tangential?

Dan implied nothing. He said the administration was cherry picking.

Nbadan
11-07-2007, 03:59 AM
Yet more cherry-picking of pre-war intelligence exposed

According to Drumheller, CIA Director George Tenet delivered the news about the Iraqi foreign minister at a high-level meeting at the White House, including the president, the vice president and Secretary of State Rice.

At that meeting, Drumheller says, "They were enthusiastic because they said, they were excited that we had a high-level penetration of Iraqis."

What did this high-level source tell him?

"He told us that they had no active weapons of mass destruction program," says Drumheller.

"So in the fall of 2002, before going to war, we had it on good authority from a source within Saddam's inner circle that he didn't have an active program for weapons of mass destruction?" Bradley asked.

"Yes," Drumheller replied. He says there was doubt in his mind at all.

"It directly contradicts, though, what the president and his staff were telling us," Bradley remarked.

"The policy was set," Drumheller says. "The war in Iraq was coming. And they were looking for intelligence to fit into the policy, to justify the policy."

Drumheller expected the White House to ask for more information from the Iraqi foreign minister.

But he says he was taken aback by what happened. "The group that was dealing with preparation for the Iraq war came back and said they're no longer interested," Drumheller recalls. "And we said, 'Well, what about the intel?' And they said, 'Well, this isn't about intel anymore. This is about regime change.'"

Link (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/21/60minutes/main1527749_page2.shtml)

This is why Ms. Pelosi, impeachment of Cheney should not just be a political juggernaut, it should be a moral imperative...

Wild Cobra
11-07-2007, 04:09 PM
This is why Ms. Pelosi, impeachment of Cheney should not just be a political juggernaut, it should be a moral imperative...
Really? It is already shown that Tenet was liar in the situation who was expected to bring forth the facts. He was a major intelligence problem with his bogus reports, and you are going to believe him?

Leave it to CBS (Clinton Broadcast System) to have such a story.

George Gervin's Afro
11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Really? It is already shown that Tenet was liar in the situation who was expected to bring forth the facts. He was a major intelligence problem with his bogus reports, and you are going to believe him?

Leave it to CBS (Clinton Broadcast System) to have such a story.

attack the source not the story..

your right. bush has no culpability in this. he only ordered the invasion on what was given him..poor guy he was duped.

Nbadan
11-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Conyers and Pelosi want the evidence of crimes before they move on Impeachment. The Senate's Phase 2 of Pre-war Itel is 229 pages of evidence. It was quietly released during the Betray-us Report. It details what was known about how bad the post Saddam Iraq would be. It reveals the truth of what was known. Line it up beside everything Dick, Dubya and Dummy said. Proof positive of lies into an illegal war.

Iraq Pre-War Intelligence report (http://intelligence.senate.gov/prewar.pdf)

It's all there folks....

Yonivore
11-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Conyers and Pelosi want the evidence of crimes before they move on Impeachment. The Senate's Phase 2 of Pre-war Itel is 229 pages of evidence. It was quietly released during the Betray-us Report. It details what was known about how bad the post Saddam Iraq would be. It reveals the truth of what was known. Line it up beside everything Dick, Dubya and Dummy said. Proof positive of lies into an illegal war.

Iraq Pre-War Intelligence report (http://intelligence.senate.gov/prewar.pdf)

It's all there folks....
Riiiiiiiggggghhhhht. :lmao

It'll be like everything else this Congress has accomplished. Oh yeah, they haven't done anything.

What are they going to do? Start impeachment hearings on January 20, 2009?

Wild Cobra
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Typical liberals in congress. They have to satisfy their wacky base, or fear being replaced with someone more whacky in their primaries, then lose the general election.

This is far more of a do-nothing congress than I expected.

It keeps getting closer in my eyes to having a republican congress again in 2009.

George Gervin's Afro
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Riiiiiiiggggghhhhht. :lmao

It'll be like everything else this Congress has accomplished. Oh yeah, they haven't done anything.

What are they going to do? Start impeachment hearings on January 20, 2009?

the gop had control for 6 yrs and all we heard was the right wing crying because democrats were being obstructionists..but those same folks hold the dems to a different standard..yes my friends those who have different standards are hypocrites..

Yonivore
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
the gop had control for 6 yrs and all we heard was the right wing crying because democrats were being obstructionists..but those same folks hold the dems to a different standard..yes my friends those who have different standards are hypocrites..
That's not all you heard. They got shit done!

And, they stayed well above the 11% approval rating of the current Congress. :lmao

George Gervin's Afro
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
That's not all you heard. They got shit done!

And, they stayed well above the 11% approval rating of the current Congress. :lmao

please explain 6 yrs of getting things done.. they sure did spend alot of money though.. :lol

Wild Cobra
11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
please explain 6 yrs of getting things done.. they sure did spend alot of money though.. :lol
There are several things. Without looking things up, here are a few:

Reduced taxes, increasing economic growth
Started more border security
Dramatically increased AIDS funding

Oh, Gee!!
11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Dramatically increased AIDS funding

That's not the Christian thing to do according to Thomas Sowell