PDA

View Full Version : Uncharacteristic unselfishness a big change

ducks
08-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Uncharacteristic unselfishness a big change in Iverson's gameBy Chris Bernucca SportsTicker Pro Basketball Editor

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (Ticker) - There's some things about Allen Iverson that never change.

Here on an island whose passion for basketball is growing daily, Iverson's jersey - whether it be the No. 3 of the Philadelphia 76ers or the No. 4 of Team USA - is being worn by people everywhere.

During pregame introductions, he still gets introduced last, just as he does at the First Union Center. He still gets by far the loudest cheers, just as he does in every NBA arena, at home or on the road.

And he's still being coached by Larry Brown, although those days are finitely numbered.

So what's the big fuss? It's the same old Allen Iverson, right?

Wrong. If you are fortunate enough to watch - in America, the FIBA Tournament of the Americas isn't exactly as accessible as reruns of "Friends" - or have taken the time to listen, Iverson clearly has changed his approach - in actions and words - to continue to live one of his dreams.

"It means a lot to play on a U.S. team because I remember the first Dream Team (in 1992), the way they conducted themselves, the way they carried themselves on and off the court," Iverson said. "It was a dream for me to be on an Olympic team and I had the chance to learn from those teams and conduct myself in the same manner."

This is not just conversational spittle from Iverson. He is cordial with the media, still showcasing his sometimes brutal honesty with a hint of a smile. He is friendly around the team hotel, saying hello to familiar faces. Perhaps more than any of his teammates, he is enjoying this experience - even when his 6-year-old-son, Deuce, accidentally locked himself in the bathroom of the team bus.

Here's how dramatic the change has been. After Friday night's win over Venezuela, he owned up to committing eight turnovers by saying, "I was just trying to play the right way."

That had Brown beaming.

"I've been reading a lot of comments from our players and comments from the people throughout the country and I think they recognize how much he's trying to play like a team player ... to defend and share the ball," said Brown, who coached Iverson for six years in Philadelphia before moving on this summer to the Detroit Pistons.

"I've said it since I coached him at Philly, he had to do a lot of things that maybe some people thought were selfish. But, he was trying to help us win. I wish he could have been involved with a situation like this four or five years ago. But, I'm proud of the way he's played and I think his teammates are as well."

Iverson doesn't have to do any of those things with this squad. For seven years, the 76ers have been looking for a secondary scorer to complement him. Here, he has 11 of them.

"When I play for the Sixers, I'm called on to do other things on the basketball court," he said. "Sometimes it takes me to shoot the ball 25-30 times in order for us to get a win. There's no way I would have to do a thing like that with a team like this.

"We're so talented from 1-12, any night, it could be any guy trying to put the ball in the basket. You just let the game come to you. All I concentrate on is playing defense, rebounding the basketball and running up and down the floor, filling my lane. Everything will come to me, as long as I'm doing that."

Shots are still coming Iverson's way. As part of Brown's starting lineup, he is averaging 12 points in four games and led Team USA with 17 points in Saturday's 113-55 strafing of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

But the changes in his game are evident, whether or not the boxscore shows them. Iverson rarely has had to force a shot and is clicking at 62 percent (18-of-29) from the field. He has handed out 17 assists, acting as a facilitator for the offense.

And he is not driving recklessly into the forest of big men, hoping to make a play. Aside from the sloppiness against Venezuela, he has committed just three turnovers, displaying a newfound patience in his game necessary for success in international play.

"Playing with guys who have so much talent, it makes it that much easier to adjust," he said. "I'm just going with the flow. Whatever they need from me, that's what I try to give. I'm not complaining about time or anything like that. Once coach calls my number, then that's when it's time for me to perform. But if he doesn't call my number, I sit on the bench and cheer for my teammates."

No longer the eye of the storm, Iverson has been making good use of his extra time. He is chatting up his teammates and coaches, trying to build friendships and improve his game. Asked to describe the best part of what he considers a great honor, there was no hesitation in Iverson's answer.

"Being around the coaches and the players and listening to and telling stories. Getting to know guys you spend a lot of time competing against," he said. "You see guys from afar and this gives you a chance to get to know them. You find out how good they are as people, not just as players."

Believe it or not, some of that time is being spent after practice, which Iverson at times throughout his career has considered optional. He admitted the work habits of some of his teammates are rubbing off on him.

"Staying after practice and working, even if it's just a shooting game, there's something you can get accomplished, it's something that can help you," he said. "Just the competitiveness of the shooting game is enough. It helps you work on your shot right after practice and even before practice we do some shooting for some money. Hopefully I can get my shot better and win some money in the process."

Despite Brown's wishes, Iverson probably would not have been ready for this experience four or five years ago. His roguish approach to the game probably would have made him the ugly American player and stunted the worldwide popularity he is enjoying now.

But the player and coach who fought each other chasing the same goal for six years both know that the change in Iverson could not have come at a better time or place.

"I'm just happy to have the opportunity to come out here and showcase my talents to all these people in Puerto Rico and my team as well," Iverson said. "But the most important thing that I'm excited about is that all of us left all our egos at the front door to accomplish the same goal, and that's the special thing about it."

"They see Allen Iverson sacrificing, that really helps our sport," Brown said.
the source (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=21963690)