PDA

View Full Version : Advice on video camera

velik_m
11-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a video camera, nothing fancy, just something for home videos. But i don't know much of them and i thought you could give me some advice, maybe share your experiences.

Home much resulution? What media for storing? What to look for in a camera?

Slydragon
11-03-2007, 01:43 PM
My old one was 8mm and it was good but you needed the cam to play back the tapes. My new one is a JVC harddrive/SD cam and I love it. After I am done recording I just put it on the dock that is connected to the pc and it burns them to dvd with or with out menus. Its also very small, fits on my palm.

It also has a sd slot so when I know I want to youtube something I record it to sd and then pop it into my pc for a fast upload.

velik_m
11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
My old one was 8mm and it was good but you needed the cam to play back the tapes. My new one is a JVC harddrive/SD cam and I love it. After I am done recording I just put it on the dock that is connected to the pc and it burns them to dvd with or with out menus. Its also very small, fits on my palm.

It also has a sd slot so when I know I want to youtube something I record it to sd and then pop it into my pc for a fast upload.

How much time can you tape on the hard drive?

velik_m
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh, come on - there has to be more than one guy in this forum that bought/has a camera.

What is better HDD, DVD or mini DV?

Slydragon
11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
How much time can you tape on the hard drive?

7 hours on high mode and 37 on eco mode, and there are 2 other in between settings.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-GZMG155-Camcorder-Optical-Docking/dp/B000MAFTDQ/ref=sr_1_4/105-1406349-0393264?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194285740&sr=1-4

That's what I got and have had no problems with it.

velik_m
11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
7 hours on high mode and 37 on eco mode, and there are 2 other in between settings.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-GZMG155-Camcorder-Optical-Docking/dp/B000MAFTDQ/ref=sr_1_4/105-1406349-0393264?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194285740&sr=1-4

That's what I got and have had no problems with it.

Looks slick. I found a similar model for 440EUR (=640USD), which is a bit more than i planed to spend, will have to think about it. Maybe a cjeaper model with less hdd.

They mostly have Sony and cannon over here.

Mixability
11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
my fiancee just got a sony sr5, which is a high def hard drive handycam. but one warning, with the fact that you don't run out of tape, it will fill up your pc's storage very fast, especially since it's high def. I'm currently looking to get 3 separate TB external drives just to have space.

Slydragon
11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
my fiancee just got a sony sr5, which is a high def hard drive handycam. but one warning, with the fact that you don't run out of tape, it will fill up your pc's storage very fast, especially since it's high def. I'm currently looking to get 3 separate TB external drives just to have space.

Or a blu-ray burner. I plan on gettting the share dock for the JvC cam. That way if I am out of town I do not need a pc to burn just pop in a blank dvd and hook the cam up and it burns with no pc. I can also make copies for friends while I am there and not have to mail them a copy. Once it makes the dvd I have the whole hard drive to work with again.

Mixability
11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Or a blu-ray burner. I plan on gettting the share dock for the JvC cam. That way if I am out of town I do not need a pc to burn just pop in a blank dvd and hook the cam up and it burns with no pc. I can also make copies for friends while I am there and not have to mail them a copy. Once it makes the dvd I have the whole hard drive to work with again.

Eh, I want to get away from disks altogether. That's why I'd rather have externals constantly backing each other up and having all of those backed up offsite at my parents house and at her parents house in case of a failure. I'd rather deal with that than scratching a disc and never having that footage again. Then with the drives all linked to all the tvs in the house, it's easy to boot up anything on any tv in the house, without having to worry if I have to move the ps3 or the 360 or a standard def dvd player around just to play a home movie.

Either way, just make sure you make back ups. and back ups to the back up if it's a real important video.