PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Fans, Rejoice

Guajalote
11-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Apparently, we're not the only ones that "pick on" poor Mike D'Antoni.

The only interesting moment down the stretch came when Suns coach Mike D'Antoni became livid when Lakers coach Phil Jackson called a timeout, right after the Suns called one, with 4:55 to play and Phoenix trailing 111-78.

"Yeah, I was pretty upset," D'Antoni said. "I thought he disrespected our players. But he likes to play the mind games and that's fine. He might want to try to do it in playoff time when we bust them every year."

Jackson said he was just getting a mandatory timeout out of the way.

"He wasn't thinking straight. That's all," Jackson said of D'Antoni. "He'd understand that if he thought about it for a second. I think he thought I was trying to showboat or grandstand. But when you have a mandatory timeout coming in a minute and a half or something like that, just get it out of the way."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271102021

How many people are as sick of this guy as I am? (including Suns fans).

T Park
11-03-2007, 01:17 PM
D'Antoni is the last one that needs to run smack about playoffs and getting busted...

sa_kid20
11-03-2007, 01:21 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/bobbyt207/atw13.jpg

Guajalote
11-03-2007, 01:23 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/bobbyt207/atw13.jpg

:lmao That is too funny.

Strike
11-03-2007, 01:28 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/strike019/Myspace%20Pics/leash2.jpg

shyne
11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
How do you talk shit to someone with 9 rings?

rAm
11-03-2007, 01:33 PM
what a little bitch

missmyzte
11-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Phil said later that he called the extra time out because a mandatory time out was coming in a little over a minute so he may as well use it then to avoid an additional stopage in play. Don't know if I believe him, but it definitely was fun watching the Lakers blow them out in Phoenix. Heck, it was fun watching the Lakers win at all.

bdictjames
11-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I hope Phoenix gets ousted at the first round this year.

Spurs Dynasty 21
11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
was very nice to see the Lakers embarrass the Suns on national TV

td4mvp3
11-03-2007, 03:46 PM
horry probably did some dirty play that made jackson call that time out.

itzsoweezee
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
when is that little pussy not whining? gotdamn, just the sight of him annoys the shit out of me.

HighLowLobForBig-50
11-03-2007, 05:44 PM
the "face time" on D'antoni in like the last 8 minutes was great. he just looks and acts like such a lil bitch.

Hemotivo
11-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Q: I know just about all the [NBA] rules except the mandatory TV timeouts. Could you please inform me. I believe the home team is charged one for the first dead ball under 7:00, but my friend pointed out that the road team must also be charge later to make it fair. Can you give me the complete answer, please?

A: I had the good fortune of being a minor official for NBA exhibition games here where I live (in Calgary), and did five years of minor officiating work in a CBA-level summer league using the same basic rules. Here is the scoop (noting that in some playoff games, an extra media timeout is added that complicates this otherwise elegant system):

If neither team has called a full timeout by the time the clock shows 6:59 each quarter, the home team is charged with a time out on the next stoppage (there are a couple of really minor exceptions). If a timeout was called, there is no mandatory time-out at that time.

The next time marker is 2:59. If a second full time out has not been taken, the team not previously charged with a timeout shall be charged. If two full timeouts have been called in the quarter, there is no mandatory time-out. It does not matter which team called the timeout; any two full timeouts will do.

I hope that is clear. It is really a very elegant and unobtrusive way to get TV time-outs into a game. To make it easier to understand, let's pretend the Raptors are playing in Houston. Each teams starts with 6 full timeouts. Here are how the timeouts might be charged:

1st Quarter

8:02 Toronto calls a full time-out (first mandatory eliminated)

2:45 First stoppage since 2:59; Houston charged with a mandatory time-out

2nd Quarter

6:59 Play stopped for a foul; Houston is charged with a mandatory time-out

2:59 Houston requests a full time-out during play (second mandatory is cancelled)
Note: Although the time listed is 2:59, the same would apply if Houston had called it from the floor earlier (or later, if there were no stoppages)

3rd Quarter

9:40 Toronto calls a full timeout (first mandatory eliminated)

8:55 Toronto calls another full timeout (second mandatory eliminated)

4th Quarter

Note: A team may not call more than four timeouts in the 4th Quarter, nor may they call more than three in the last 2 minutes.

6:55 Houston requests a 20 second timeout; since they would normally be charged with a mandatory timeout on this stoppage, a full timeout is charged instead (the 20 second timeout is returned to them)

1:48 Houston requests a 20 second time-out (this is the first stoppage since 2:59); the 20 second timeout is granted; it is followed immediately by a full time-out charged to Toronto.

I think that covers all the most normal scenarios, and would answer any question you might have.

When we get into playoff mode, they appear to add an additional mandatory at 9:59, but it appears to be outside the regular rule. I suspect the TV-charged timeout would get bumped down to the next time marker if a team voluntarily took an early time-out.

http://members.shaw.ca/jazzace/ace/hoop/ask_misc.html

JMarkJohns
11-03-2007, 07:12 PM
How many people are as sick of this guy as I am? (including Suns fans).

He's the Mike Martz of the NBA. If there were offensive coordinators, then he'd be among the best in the League. As a head coach, he's always been overrated because he can't handle player rotations, can't develop young talent (Iavoroni developed Amare/Diaw and Dan D'Antoni developed Barbosa), can't identify talent via the draft or in free agency, doesn't coach X's/O's, doesn't emphasize defense and rebounding, and, finally, sets a poor example of poise on the sidelines, inspiring attitudes of entitlement and whining rather than determination and winning.

Without Nash, Phoenix has another head coach right now.

He's just not very good.

And yes, I'm sick of his baby antics. Suck up the "wrongs" and lead by example... With the right example.

SenorSpur
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
He's the Mike Martz of the NBA. If there were offensive coordinators, then he'd be among the best in the League. As a head coach, he's always been overrated because he can't handle player rotations, can't develop young talent (Iavoroni developed Amare/Diaw and Dan D'Antoni developed Barbosa), can't identify talent via the draft or in free agency, doesn't coach X's/O's, doesn't emphasize defense and rebounding, and, finally, sets a poor example of poise on the sidelines, inspiring attitudes of entitlement and whining rather than determination and winning.

Without Nash, Phoenix has another head coach right now.

He's just not very good.

And yes, I'm sick of his baby antics. Suck up the "wrongs" and lead by example... With the right example.

....and this great summation from a PHX Suns fan.

My question back to you, sir, is whether your criticism of D'Antoni is shared by some of the locals?

Timmy!
11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
D'Antoni is a pussy but dont forget Jackson is an asshole too.

CarefreeAZ
11-03-2007, 08:58 PM

My question back to you, sir, is whether your criticism of D'Antoni is shared by some of the locals?

YES!! D'Antoni has started getting more defensive/argumentitive with the media when it comes to extending to more of a nine man rotation. With the new draft additions like Strawberry (who can play defense), I would like to see D'Antoni adjust more to the situation when defense is called for instead of that pigheaded stubborness he likes to display. The one good thing that he is building in at least 15 minutes for Marcus Banks. I thought for sure the other night against Seattle when Banks let his man go by him and you could see the coach upset that he was going to pull Banks out immediately. Instead he kept him in which proved beneficial as Banks hit three 3-pointers. Since the championship window is not going to always be open, there is pressure and questions from fans on D'Antoni and his style.

T Park
11-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Is the city of Phoenix FINALLY waking up that this style of basketball doesn't win in the playoffs?

Demo Dick Marcinko
11-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey suns fans! Question - is Hill taking all those 3 point shots per DA's instructions or is he doing on his own? Secondly in retrospect does Hill warrant so many minutes so early in the season because watching the early Suns games he seems to be slowing your guys in transition. It doesn't look like he's taylor made for DA's style of play. I think Hill would have been a great signing for just about anyone, why wouldn't he, but it just doesn't look like you can put a round peg in a square hole. Lastly what happened to what Grant does best, his mid-range shots and his slashing to the basket?

TampaDude
11-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Fuck the PHX whiners...

Amare_32
11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
:rolleyes D'Antoni I wonder how he will handle the game on 12/17 on the road.

picnroll
11-04-2007, 10:29 AM
D’Antoni said he felt embarrassed because he had nothing further to say to his team when the second timeout was called. “So now, we’re standing around like idiots, He said. “We were down 30. We’re already idiots. Now we really look like idiots. It’s something I thought he could have avoided. He chose to do that, and that’s fine.” Los Angeles Times

:rollin

Amare_32
11-04-2007, 10:38 AM
All great coaches now how to play mind games with other teams. Riley,Jackson and Popovich do it. See Riley and Ben Wallace when the Heat beat the Pistons. Riley had players foul Wallace intentionally in Game 1 when the Heat had the lead. D'Antoni should learn from that and stop his whining. Thank God we have Nash.

JMarkJohns
11-04-2007, 10:45 AM

To be honest, I haven't a clue if the opinion is shared. I don't live in Phoenix, so I don't listen to sports radio or hear banter in the sports bars. I've discussed such openly on the few message boards I frequent and the general assessment is that my opinion is close to reality. I've swayed a handful of people I know, but I can't speak for the larger populace of Suns nation, mostly because I don't frequent any Suns message boards because my honest and real takes would get me booted off the happy suns and rainbow sites. Also, the Arizona Republic has a vested interest in the Suns as they rose to popularity because Colangelo once had a stake in them, allowing the sports department in heard of access to the Suns, so they aren't as much news as hype, so you can't even get opinion like mine from that paper.

SenorSpur
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
With D'Antoni's helter-skelter style, you would think he would have cultivated a deeper rotation simply to further tire teams out by constantly running fresh bodies at them. Hard to figure out why he's hell-bent on a short rotation.

bonesinaz
11-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I live in Northern AZ, but I am a Spurs fan. Most of my friends who are suns fans hate the Spurs. A few of them are starting to realize that the suns lost because they play no D. A few more do realize that D'Antoni is the real problem. Some blame the players.

Overall most here are casual fans and as such, they continue to blame the dirty Spurs. They turned on the D-backs after the Suns got booted from the playoffs. :lol

nfg3
11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
It will probably take a couple of more exits in the playoffs for the light to shine through. Let's be honest - most causal fans wont take the time to try to understand the nature of the game. All they want is excitement and to win. How? Let's not get too deep into the matter. Their brains have a tendency to overload and shut down. O

I agree that if not for Nash the Sons wholuld have another coach. Nash is that good. D'Antoni isn't. And the development of Amare is really questionable. So far he is up to his old tricks by getiing silly fouls called on him and having to sit. When is he going to learn proper defensive position? Maybe after TD retires? Works for me.

Roxsfan
11-04-2007, 10:40 PM
when is that little pussy not whining? gotdamn, just the sight of him annoys the shit out of me.

No shiit, I can't stand the jerk

TwelveGs210
11-04-2007, 11:25 PM
lol @ D'antoni.. from the opening tip he has that same stupid expression and is in the refs ear the ENTIRE game..

LilMissSPURfect
11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
sucks to b him!

nkdlunch
11-05-2007, 12:04 PM
D'antoni needs help from the Dog Whishperer!

he is such a bitch

Indazone
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Suns suck. What a bunch of whiners. I hope Amare stays out with that knee.

MoSpur
11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I really can't stand that coach.

smeagol
11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Is he still the coach of USA Basketball?

JMarkJohns
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
He's A coach of USA basketball...