PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Team's depth leaving minutes at a premium

biba
11-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Spurs: Team's depth leaving minutes at a premium

Web Posted: 11/04/2007 12:03 AM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110407.BKN.SpursBench.en.34d2c99.html

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Ime Udoka started 75 games in Portland last season, signed a lucrative two-year deal with the Spurs in the summer and drew rave reviews for his work during training camp in the fall.
What happened next tells all one needs to know about the current state of the Spurs' bench.

Udoka did not play in either of the Spurs' first two games of the regular season. Not a single second.

When Udoka finally did get on the floor — in Friday's 96-80 victory over Sacramento — he made the most of it, scoring 14 points.

That, too, speaks volumes.

"There aren't so many teams in the league that have a team as deep as ours," said Spurs super-sub Manu Ginobili. "We have a very deep team, and we're going to use that wisely."

Statistically speaking, the Spurs boasted the best bench in the NBA last season, getting an average of nearly 37 points a night from their reserves.

Frightening memo to the rest of the league: There are signs this year's bench might be even better.

Granted, it's still early. Three games of an NBA season is no kind of sample size from which to draw definitive conclusions.

Still, the Spurs' reserves have scored 149 points in those three games, overwhelming opponents with wave after wave of bench scorers. All this, and Robert Horry and Jacque Vaughn — two significant bench contributors during last year's title run — haven't even suited up yet.

Udoka came to a none-too-startling conclusion after his first three games in San Antonio.

"There are a lot of guys here who can play," he said.

As it did for most of last season, the Spurs' boost off the bench begins with Ginobili, who ought to be the season-long frontrunner for Sixth Man of the Year honors so long as he remains a reserve. He is averaging 18.7 points per game, tied with Tim Duncan for the early team lead.

But the Spurs' bench has been more than just Ginobili so far.

In each of their three victories, the Spurs have received at least one double-digit scoring effort out of a reserve not named Ginobili. Most recently, against the Kings, Matt Bonner added 13 points to Udoka's 14 and Ginobili's 10.

Brent Barry also has had his moments, as has center Francisco Elson.

There is no dearth of depth in San Antonio. It is a trend the Spurs won't mind continuing when they face Southwest Division rival Houston on Tuesday at the Toyota Center.

The gaudy production of his bench could prove quite a pleasant problem for coach Gregg Popovich, who must somehow devise a way to divvy minutes among his arsenal of reserves.

Typically, it takes Popovich well into February to settle on a rotation. With the way his bench is performing so far, he will have some difficult decisions to face in the months to come.

"I have no clue on how to sub them," Popovich said. "It usually takes me a while to figure out what the rotation is going to be. I don't really have a firm handle on that yet."

Which is how Udoka came to find himself glued to the bench for the first two games of his Spurs career.

For Udoka, spending two nights as a spectator was an odd feeling, but not a wholly unexpected one. He knew minutes would be at a premium when he signed with the Spurs.

"They told me during the (free-agent) process that I was going to have to come in and earn it," Udoka said. "It's not like I thought I was going to come in and start."

Barring something strange and unforeseen, Udoka probably will not start a game this season for the Spurs. Some nights, he might not even get to remove his warm-up pants.

"Obviously, everybody who is competitive wants to play," Udoka said. "But you've got to understand, this team has been together for a long time. It's going to be hard to come in and take people's minutes."

timvp
11-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Ime Udoka started 75 games in Portland last season, signed a lucrative two-year deal with the SpursLucrative? Maybe in the real world but not the NBA. Udoka got less money than Jacque Vaughn.

mystargtr34
11-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Lucrative? Maybe in the real world but not the NBA. Udoka got less money than Jacque Vaughn.

Thats the first thing i noticed also... :lol i read it twice

maxpower
11-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Still, the Spurs' reserves have scored 149 points in those three games, overwhelming opponents with wave after wave of bench scorers. All this, and Robert Horry and Jacque Vaughn — two significant bench contributors during last year's title run

Really? I guess any one point is significant in a title run.

I would like to see a bench combo of Manu and Ime when the Spurs meet up with the mavericks' bench duo of stackhouse and terry.

dougp
11-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Really? I guess any one point is significant in a title run.

I would like to see a bench combo of Manu and Ime when the Spurs meet up with the mavericks' bench duo of stackhouse and terry.Since they never said that Rob and Jacque contributed points specifically, what they said is true ... those two were very big contributors off the bench.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Udoka is one classy guy. He has the talent to possibly start on this year's team and he's admitting that he will be getting some DNPs this year and he'll totally fine with it. :tu

Russ
11-04-2007, 10:14 AM
You'd have to suspect that Duncan's and Bowen's minutes will be decreased to allow this depth to come into play. That would solve two problems by resting the key guys and keeping the bench players involved.

TP's and Manu's minutes might also be reduced but it might be touchier to pull off -- TP wants to build on his Finals MVP and Manu is already sacrificing above and beyond by accepting a bench role in the first place.

duncan228
11-04-2007, 10:19 AM
What a nice "problem" to have.

SenorSpur
11-04-2007, 10:50 AM
The Spurs do indeed have one of the deepest teams in the league. This is a wonderful problem to have.

As an outside observer, I would have to say the Mavs probably have THE deepest team in the league. Their recent addition of Juwan Howard only served as a reminder of that point. Clearly, AJ will not find enough minutes among those guys to keep them all happy.

Despite that, I firmly believe the Spurs have better chemistry, better cohesion and a clearer identification of roles across their team - especially the bench.

SpursFanFirst
11-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I really like Udoka's attitude...from what he said above, he reminds me of Manu and his selfless ways. :tu

Darkwaters
11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't think the Mavs are nearly as deep as you give them credit. Nick Fazekas had done little to prove he deserves minutes (although he had a nice statistical game against the Hornets). Ager was unable to crack the rotation basically all of last year and was given limited minutes the last two games with equally limited success. Eddie Jones is just old and I haven't seen much that would indicate he shouldn't have retired. While Brandon Bass has looked surprisingly good with Dampier out I'm not sure it will last. Hes a career underachiever and was downright horrible with the Hornets. But, for his sake, I hope this new beginning lets him truly break out. And while Juwan Howard seems to be a good signing, we still have yet to see him play with the unit. Many of these players are of high quality. But the thing the Mavs lack that the Spurs have is cohesiveness. Many of the Mavs have been here a while, but many haven't. What about the Spurs?

For the Spurs, Ian Mahinmi is obviously a probject (regardless of his gaudy 6 minute stats the other night). The Spurs' reserve point guard play is inferior to Dallas' (as JJ Barea showed last night) but our starting element is much better to begin with. Robert Horry has also not proven he isn't just plain old and can still play. But a few months ago in the finals he was a defensive beast at times. However, unlike Eddie Jones, he hasn't had a few lackluster on-court performances yet as he hasn't even played yet.

I don't think you can crown one team deeper than the other just yet. But the Spurs are the early favorites, not Dallas. Although, being the media's darlings, I'm sure this fact will be obscured by ESPN pundits all season until the playoffs hit.

C'est la vie.

Mr. Body
11-04-2007, 12:47 PM
DarkWaters is right - Dallas isn't as deep as they've been in the past. Barea's explosion (against GSW) looked good, but against a dubious defensive team. If they hadn't signed Howard, where would they be in the front line? Still, they creamed Sacramento without Harris and Josh Howard.

thispego
11-04-2007, 12:57 PM
yeah because harriss sucks