PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill never returned Jackson's call

ducks
11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Grant Hill never returned Jackson's call
Saturday, Nov 3, 2007 6:26 am EDT

Getty Images
The Los Angeles Lakers were interested in talking with then free agent Grant Hill over the summer. However, the Los Angeles Times reported there apparently was no response from Hill, who later signed with the Phoenix Suns.

"He didn't return my phone call, so I guess not," Jackson said. "I figured he didn't entertain the idea very much if he didn't return that call."

Source: Los Angeles Times

Related: Grant Hill, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns

peskypesky
11-04-2007, 10:34 PM
What player in his right mind would want to play with Kobe?

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 01:04 AM
See Shaq, 3 rings, Horry, fisher, fox.......
Plus he's chasing a ring...and the lakers with Grant still wouldn't contend. Really shows the faith and opinion of his own game....let's go to a loaded Suns team and ride the coatails.....

OldDirtMcGirt
11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Plus he's chasing a ring...and the lakers with Grant still wouldn't contend. Really shows the faith and opinion of his own game....let's go to a loaded Suns team and ride the coatails.....

Grant is doing a lot more than riding the coattails. He's a starter playing starter's minutes and contributing alot. He's been one of our most consistent players through this short season.

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Look I like Ghill's game...but not to return a call from Mr 9 rings is an insult. All he had to say is no.....so he goes to the Suns...should have went to the spurs if he knew what's good for him.

OldDirtMcGirt
11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Look I like Ghill's game...but not to return a call from Mr 9 rings is an insult. All he had to say is no.....so he goes to the Suns...should have went to the spurs if he knew what's good for him.

It does sound kind of odd that a guy like Grant (who pretty much everybody attests to as being a good guy) didn't return the call. Could be that it was just his agent that received it, but whatever. I'm not sure if Grant would start with San Antonio, or if he'd have the ability to get 35 minutes a game. I don't think that a ring was the be all and end all of his team search. Sure he wanted to play on a legitimate contender, but he also wanted a chance to contribute majorly in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Well like I said, Grant's a great player and I would have loved him in LA, but your suns needed some Low Post power, and they don't seem to have it right now.

vicphoenix
11-05-2007, 04:02 AM
Grant Hill made his mind up after last season that he was going to join the Suns. You heard him say as much during the NBA Finals. So I don't see how the Lakers can be that upset.

101A
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
..., or if he'd have the ability to get 35 minutes a game.

35 minutes per game is going to KILL Grant Hill.

Pop would limit him to 15 - 20 AT MOST - if he even sniffed the court with the bottleneck at wing the Spurs have.

Hell, Duncan & Parker barely get 35!

stretch
11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
It does sound kind of odd that a guy like Grant (who pretty much everybody attests to as being a good guy) didn't return the call. Could be that it was just his agent that received it, but whatever. I'm not sure if Grant would start with San Antonio, or if he'd have the ability to get 35 minutes a game. I don't think that a ring was the be all and end all of his team search. Sure he wanted to play on a legitimate contender, but he also wanted a chance to contribute majorly in the regular season and in the playoffs.
If Grant Hill is starting and playing 35 MPG on a team that needs defense and rebounding, then he is wasting his time if getting a ring is his goal.

monosylab1k
11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Look I like Ghill's game...but not to return a call from Mr 9 rings with Jordan/Shaq is an insult.
fify

monosylab1k
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
he didn't owe Phil a damn thing either. and talk about riding coattails....Phil Jackson may be the greatest coattail rider in sports history.

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Mono....ask the hall of fame, ask Jordan, Shaq, Pippen, and Kobe if Phil "lucked out"....

monosylab1k
11-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey Mono....ask the hall of fame, ask Jordan, Shaq, Pippen, and Kobe if Phil "lucked out"....
Well Pippen and Kobe have no room to talk because they were clutching those coattails almost as hard as Phil was.

We all know who really coached the Bulls, and it's not too tough to win titles with the only dominant center in the entire league.

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Mono....I know you're jealous of Kobe's exploits in the playoffs during their 3 peat run....still I can see why....your team was nowhere near them for contention anyways. I can see that you probably never seen them play....don't worry buddy, not offense taken.

da_suns_fan__
11-05-2007, 04:14 PM

See Shaq is right....too bad the Lakers don't have Shaq anymore.

Medvedenko
11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, too bad the lakers don't have Shaq right now....he's really tearing it up.....

da_suns_fan__
11-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, too bad the lakers don't have Shaq right now....he's really tearing it up.....

Both the heat and the Lakers are first round fodder.

No wonder Hill didn't give the Lakers a second thought.

Stargazer
11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I think chose Phx because:

1. Phx is a contender (not a lock, but a contender)
2. Phx has a very good training and medical staff
3. Phx has very light practices
4. Phx has very good weather during the season
5. Phx has a good group of guys to play with

Can LA offer any of that?

da_suns_fan__
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I think chose Phx because:

1. Phx is a contender (not a lock, but a contender)
2. Phx has a very good training and medical staff
3. Phx has very light practices
4. Phx has very good weather during the season
5. Phx has a good group of guys to play with

Can LA offer any of that?

Good weather yes.....the other stuff, no.

6. Phx doesn't have Kobe.

Xylus
11-05-2007, 08:32 PM
7. ...it's the Lakers

OldDirtMcGirt
11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
If Grant Hill is starting and playing 35 MPG on a team that needs defense and rebounding, then he is wasting his time if getting a ring is his goal.

We're also a team that needs a second ball distributor when Nash is on the bench. He's a hell of alot better than James Jones, and without a doubt improves our team.

NBA Junkie
11-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Well Pippen and Kobe have no room to talk because they were clutching those coattails almost as hard as Phil was.

We all know who really coached the Bulls, and it's not too tough to win titles with the only dominant center in the entire league.

Phil was able to take the Bulls and Lakers over the hump to their respective dynasties.

Jordan-Pippen and Shaq-Kobe didn't quite get there until Phil arrived.

Shit, what Jackson has done to get the Lakers to the playoffs the last two seasons has been nothing short of amazing.

lurker
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Grant claims he never got Phil's message. :lol