PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili, Oberto set to face Rockets countryman Scola

tinysands
11-06-2007, 12:27 AM
SPURS: Ginobili, Oberto set to face Rockets countryman Scola

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110607.Spurs-1106.en.31e71a9.html

Web Posted: 11/05/2007 10:36 PM CST
Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — One sunny Sunday in September, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili invited a longtime personal friend and soon-to-be basketball foe to his house for a barbecue.

Tired of subsisting on a diet of room service in his new NBA hometown of Houston, Luis Scola was happy to accept.

Ginobili's Spurs teammate Fabricio Oberto came too, and the three Argentine amigos spent the day laughing and eating and rekindling old times. As lunch gave way to dinner, necessitating the delivery of a second meal of Italian food, talk soon turned to basketball.

For Scola, what had begun as a laid-back respite from his first week as a Houston Rocket quickly became a two-on-one break in favor of the Spurs.

"We told him we were going to beat them this year," Ginobili said, "and get back to the Finals."

"It was very friendly," Ginobili is quick to add. "No bets. Nothing serious."

The serious part comes tonight when the Spurs meet Scola, their prodigal draft pick, and his new team, the Rockets. The game at the Toyota Center marks the first regular-season meeting between the two teams since the summertime trade that sent Scola's rights to Houston and caused much consternation among Spurs faithful.

The worry: If Scola — a 6-foot-9 power forward with all the quit of the Energizer bunny — is able to imbue Houston with the same tenacity and toughness he once lent to the Argentine national team, all bets are off in the already top-heavy Southwest Division.

"He's got a huge heart, great energy, basketball savvy," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of the 27-year-old Rockets rookie. "He adds a real winner to their program."

Friends since they were teenagers, Scola, Ginobili and Oberto formed the core of the 2004 team from Argentina that won gold at the Athens Olympics. There was a time when the two Spurs thought they might one day wind up reunited with Scola.

Scola was the Spurs' first-round pick in 2002. The team worked for five years to sign him, the sticking point being a substantial buyout from his Euroleague club.

Negotiations between the two parties were at times acrimonious, with Scola's agent at one point declaring that, "in the land of liberty," his client was "being held hostage."

In July, the Spurs finally surrendered the Scola war, swapping him to Houston along with Jackie Butler in a deal that got them salary cap and roster space, but little else, in return.

Through it all, Scola remained conspicuously above the fray. He says he holds no hard feelings against the Spurs.

"It just didn't work out," said Scola, who averaged 5.0 points and 6.7 rebounds off the bench in Houston's first three games. "I am with the Rockets, and I am pretty happy with it. Now I am going to enjoy playing here."

Much like the Spurs' own pair of Argentines, Scola possesses a set of skills that doesn't always manifest itself on the ESPN highlight reels.

Such was evident last month, when the Rockets visited San Antonio for a preseason game.

Scola wasn't flashy in the Spurs' 99-92 victory. He wasn't dominant. Yet he ended with 14 points and 10 rebounds, by far one of the Rockets' most effective players.

"I expect him to be tough and to play hard, because that's what he does," Ginobili said. "In the long run, he is going to help the Rockets, for sure."

As such, Spurs officials would have preferred to have not dealt Scola to a division rival. They hope the trade will not one day come back to bite them.

Ironically, the Rockets feel the same way.

The deal allowed the Spurs to re-sign key pieces of last year's NBA title team and, possibly, to sign this year's first-round draft pick, Tiago Splitter, next summer.

"We were real reluctant to make the deal, too, for all the room it creates for them," Houston general manager Daryl Morey said. "But we had a real need and felt like Luis was the best guy out there we could get."

Ginobili and Oberto readily agree with that assessment.

Tonight, they are just hoping their longtime friend turned NBA enemy doesn't go out of his way to prove it.

"We wish him well," Oberto said, "but we want to win."

tinysands
11-06-2007, 12:29 AM
"We told him we were going to beat them this year," Ginobili said, "and get back to the Finals."

"We wish him well," Oberto said, "but we want to win."

:hat

meta2007
11-06-2007, 12:56 AM
I wish I was invited too! :hungry:

Holt's Cat
11-06-2007, 01:00 AM
"We were real reluctant to make the deal, too, for all the room it creates for them," Houston general manager Daryl Morey said.

So the Spurs can sign someone to be their 15th man?

Hit the spreadsheet, Daryl.

11-06-2007, 01:13 AM
spurs
rockets
spurs
rocket
it is going to tied 2-2 apiece in this series :clap :clap
rockets will win 2 game
spurs will win 2 game :toast :)

gospursgooo
11-06-2007, 01:26 AM
spurs
rockets
spurs
rocket
it is going to tied 2-2 apiece in this series :clap :clap
rockets will win 2 game
spurs will win 2 game :toast :)

Spurs - Rockets 3 -1

Darkwaters
11-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Scola was the Spurs' first-round pick in 2002. The team worked for five years to sign him, the sticking point being a substantial buyout from his Euroleague club.

Not quite accurate there McDonald. Double check your sources.

mystargtr34
11-06-2007, 02:04 AM
you could be right fastdunk... the playoffs would be probably be the same scoreline... but the other way around

Quasar
11-06-2007, 04:51 AM
"We were real reluctant to make the deal, too, for all the room it creates for them," Houston general manager Daryl Morey said. "But we had a real need and felt like Luis was the best guy out there we could get."

'...for all the room..." ?

What room?

Jackie butler represents only one slot! It's not as if they took Beno together with him.

Also, how can Jacky Butler's salary (even taking luxury tax into account) allow them to resign Vaughn, Duncan, and Udoka?

Martin R
11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
INSIDE INFO :

There's a bet going on between them. The one who lose, pays the "Asado" (sort of argentine barbaque) for the whole families.

:)

101A
11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Rockets 4

Spurs 0

This will be the final after 4 regular season games.Actually wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Then, after the playoff series: 4 - 4

urunobili
11-06-2007, 09:05 AM
INSIDE INFO :

There's a bet going on between them. The one who lose, pays the "Asado" (sort of argentine barbaque) for the whole families.

:)
it really doesn't surprise me... it's what they have been doing with Nocioni too... difference is.. Luis is just a couple of hours away... and they do get the chance to get closer and do more asado's together... :downspin:

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Scola better than Bonner but he still suck as NBA player. Just wait for Spanoulis come Spurs and see how idiot Rockets are.

sa_butta
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I think Ginobili and Oberto will make a bigger difference in this game than Scola. I think we need to try to slow down Mcgrady and Yao. Should be a good game.

TampaDude
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Rockets 4

Spurs 0

This will be the final after 4 regular season games.

NOT

nfg3
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Tonight is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. Spurs will either split or go 3-1 against the Rockets. But that really dosen't mean anyhting since Pop always manages the team where they peak come playoff time. The Cavs beat us twice last year and what did that mean? Squat!

hater
11-06-2007, 01:34 PM
scola looks soft and lost out there. plus he does not get any passes on offense whatsoever

Cry Havoc
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
scola looks soft and lost out there. plus he does not get any passes on offense whatsoever

I wish Elson or Fab could look lost and get 14 points and 10 boards. :bang

ChumpDumper
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I wish Elson or Fab could look lost and get 14 points and 10 boards. :bangI bet they dominate against our D-League lineup.

11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
rockets will win tonight bubby.y don't call my team idiot.look who give on luis scola the spurs did :madrun .RED ROWIDES get ready to kick the spurs booty.HOUSTON ROCKETS :clap :clap :clap HOUSTON ROCKETS
go rockets win rockets win fight win rockets.show the spurs we can
win against them :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap .

BeerIsGood!
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
In the Rockets game against the Mavs it was more of the same - Yao and McGrady doing everything while everyone else does next to nothing. That's the kind of strategy that got them eliminated by Utah, and they won't beat the Spurs, Mavs, or Suns when it counts by doing that again. I think Scola will be a decent role piece, but until that team finds a way to win without Yao and Mac doing everything it'll be the same old Rockets this year again.

11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
whatever dude..... :p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

boutons_
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, Scola doesn't look good at all.

Only Manu has come from Europe and contributed immediately (post-ASB 2003).

Give rookie Scola some time to adapt to Rockets and to NBA and to gain some confidence, like the time needed by Fabricio.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Scola = Argentina Mark Madsen

Indazone
11-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Scola ummm right now I'd play Bonzi ahead of Scola. Scola needs to adapt to this NBA speed. He's a bit off on his defensive rotations too.