PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes

KoriEllis
09-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I can't believe that Matt Barnes could have been a Spur and opted for an unguaranteed shot at the Kings. I trust Marty McNeal's accuracy, but I hope that Barnes isn't that stupid. :(

Coming home to be a King is Barnes' goal

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, September 23, 2004

www.sacbee.com/content/sp...0149c.html (http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10842374p-11760149c.html)

Matt Barnes likely can make more money playing basketball overseas, and he probably could have received guaranteed money from the Milwaukee Bucks or maybe even the San Antonio Spurs.

However, Barnes didn't grow up overseas or in Milwaukee or San Antonio. He's a homeboy and always wanted to play for the Kings.

So the 6-foot-7 forward from Del Campo High School accepted an invitation from the Kings to join them at next month's training camp and will try to fulfill a childhood dream.
Barnes, one of 19 players who will be in the Kings' camp, believes he has a good chance to make the team.

"Besides the fact that (their style) is my style of play as far as the way they move the ball, it's always been a dream of mine to be able to come home and play with the Kings," Barnes, 24, said Wednesday. "When that opportunity arose, I jumped on it."

His agent, New York-based Bill Neff, said Barnes had his mind made up.

"He definitely had some opportunities to play for probably more makeable teams," Neff said, "but Matt really wants to play here. And he believes beyond making the team, he can play and contribute, given the chance he hopes he'll receive.

"I couldn't sway him, even though other guys have guaranteed money. He thinks the Kings are going to be really good, and I think the upside for him here is greater than it might have been in other places."

Barnes finished last season with the Los Angeles Clippers after playing in the American Basketball Association in 2003-2004 and the National Basketball Development League the previous season.

His NBA experience began in the 2002 draft, when the Memphis Grizzlies selected him 46th overall and then traded him to Cleveland. He was waived by the Cavaliers and then went to Fayetteville, N.C., to play in the NBDL.

Barnes attended the Seattle SuperSonics' 2003 training camp but said things didn't go well for him there before being waived.

"I didn't get a chance to play in the preseason," Barnes said of his tryout with the Sonics. "I hurt my shoulder, separated it really, a couple of things happened, and it didn't work."

Barnes spent most of this summer working out at Basketball Town with Kings guard Bobby Jackson and local hoops mogul Guss Armstead.

Jackson said he has seen a change in Barnes over the years since the forward came back to Sacramento following his four-year career at UCLA.

"Matt's improved every year," said Jackson, who is moving naturally and showing no effects from the abdominal strain that sidelined him for all but one game for the final four months of last season.

"The first time I got with him, I thought Matt was really lazy. ... But he's older and more mature now and realizes what's at stake, and he's dug down and really has been working hard."

Said Barnes: This is the hardest I've ever worked. I've been up (at Basketball Town) with Bobby the whole summer, I've been working out with (Kings strength and conditioning coach) Al Biancani, and I really feel I'm ready to gear it up and make this team."

Jackson said Barnes can bring qualities the Kings desperately need.

"He does the rebounding and hustling our team is going to need," said Jackson, who contributes in those areas. "We're not looking for a guy to shoot all the balls. We're looking for guys to do the little things. We've got guys who can score.

"And that's what I've told him. Play 'D,' rebound and do the hustle plays. If he has the open shot, shoot it. He has to understand the offense isn't going to run through him. ... It's not going to run through me, either. We've got to know our role and come play hard."

Denver Nuggets point guard Andre Miller, who has family in the Sacramento area and always spends time here during the summer, said he has been following Barnes since his Del Campo days.

"He's going to hustle and rebound, and he's going to make you work," Miller said. "He guards people and can play a few positions, and hopefully, he's going to get that chance. He's a guy everybody wants on their team."

In about a month, we'll see if the Kings do.

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 09:32 PM
F him. You turn down the Spurs you are dogshit.

ducks
09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
I bet he gets injuried
po has a curse:lol

KoriEllis
09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
I hope he doesn't get injured. He's a good guy.

I guess he just really wanted to stay home. It would sort of be like Devin playing elsewhere if he didn't have a guarantee with S.A.

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
You bumped a 2004 thread instead of one from a couple weeks ago? :lol

T Park
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I have said all along we should have signed him. It makes me sick to see a his boxscore stats. Look at the game tonight vs. the Grizzlies. Fucking ridiculous.

could have been a Spur and opted for an unguaranteed shot at the Kings

What about him, turning down the Spurs for an unguaranteed deal with the Kings do you not understand?

Supergirl
01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
With Billups, Hinrich, Pierce, and Lue out with injuries, Matt Barnes is singlehandedly keeping my fantasy roster afloat.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
he wouldnt put up those insane numbers on the spurs system

cose our main guys need the ball to be effective

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2007, 12:51 PM
You bumped a 2004 thread instead of one from a couple weeks ago? :lol

That is funny!!

leemajors
01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
That is funny!!

chopper, did you see the game last night? at one point the ads in front of the scorer's table said SPAM all the way across...

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2007, 04:07 PM
chopper, did you see the game last night? at one point the ads in front of the scorer's table said SPAM all the way across...

You'll never believe how much that cost me!!!

Actually I didn't see it but that would have been cool!!

Kori Ellis
01-04-2007, 04:10 PM
he wouldnt put up those insane numbers on the spurs system

cose our main guys need the ball to be effective

He wouldn't need to put up awesome numbers here. But he would have been a good guy to have. Oh well, he didn't want to come.