PDA

View Full Version : Spurs @ Rockets - Nov. 6 Random Thoughts

timvp
11-06-2007, 11:47 PM
-Good loss. The Spurs were worrying me with all this early season success. Championship Spurs teams struggle out of the gates. 4-0 would have given me a bad vibe :lol

On top of that, the Rockets gimmick defense isn't going to work in the playoffs. They were hugging the three-point shooters all night. You give Duncan that much room in the playoffs and he'll destroy you. The Spurs have never lost a playoff series in which the other team dared Duncan to beat them. Duncan just beat them.

The Spurs defense was good. Very active and rotating decently well. The offense was just a bit rusty, no big deal. The effort was there but the execution was off. That's perfectly acceptable this early in the season.

-Duncan's first half was pretty bad. He wasn't fighting for position or using any of his post moves. He resorted to using his jump hook almost exclusively. In the second half, his offense was much better. Still has a ways to go but it's early. Defensively, he was good for the most part.

-Ginobili is playing like a beast. His energy level, jumping ability, quickness and all-around athleticism is perhaps at a career best level. That's pretty shocking considering he's 30-years-old and should be becoming a worse athlete. Then again, Ginobili was a late bloomer so perhaps he can peak later than most shooting guards.

-Parker is rusty. His stats look decent but it's obvious that he's just not in sync. Tough to blame him seeing as he didn't play in training camp and in only a couple preseason games. His defense has been solid much of the season and I like the strength he's shown. He's becoming Gary Payton-esque in his ability to muscle other point guards out of the way.

-Bowen played TMac well. He made him shoot tough shots. Nothing really to complain about in regards to Bowen.

-Oberto was pretty bad. Early on, he was letting Yao get too good of position. Then obviously Pop got on Oberto to fight Yao for position and then that resulted in Oberto picking up cheap fouls. Not a good showing.

-Finley wasn't that good in the first half but I like how he competed in the second half. He picked up his defensive intensity and was one of the few swingmen who bothered to box out.

-Barry was decent. The Rockets hugging the three-point shooters took him out of the game for the most part. Decent to good effort defensively ... when he wasn't guarding Bonzi, that is.

-Bonner was pretty horrible. Defensively he was just ugly bad at times and offensively, the Rockets made him disappear. Not a way to try to earn some of the backup bigman minutes.

-Elson was really good in the first quarter. Trouble is he SUCKED in quarters two, three and four. If he wasn't boxing out Yao, he was letting Bonzi push him around. Not to mention Dikembe dunking on him. The Spurs need a more consistent effort out of him.

-Washington really didn't show much. Pop's trust level in Washington doesn't seem that high at the moment. Those footsteps you hear are Jacque Vaughn coming to reclaim his job.

-Udoka still has a ways to go. The Spurs' defense is based on trust and in the couple minutes he was out on the court, he left his teammates hanging a few times but not rotating. His man-to-man defense was solid but he has to better learn the team defensive rules.

-Pop confused me a bit with his coaching. I though Duncan and Parker should have played fewer minutes. Maybe I'm spoiled but I don't think an early November game is a game to be trotting Parker out there 40 minutes. I would have liked to have seen Washington play a bit more to get a better read on him. Overall though, this was your typical early season Spurs loss.

duncan228
11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
As always, well thought out and stated.
I particularly agree with your takes on Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Pop.

Is this what you're going to do instead of grades this year?
I like it.
I liked the grades too but this seems deeper.

11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
way to go houston rockets :clap :clap we finally beat the spurs. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap .let take care of the sa spurs. :clap :clap

timvp
11-06-2007, 11:54 PM
way to go houston rockets :clap :clap we finally beat the spurs. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap .let take care of the sa spurs. :clap :clapI'll email you my reply.

Thanks.

SequSpur
11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Let me make this comment simple... I don't think most of you quite understand......

Bonner sucks.

bdictjames
11-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I actually haven't seen Duncan and Parker do the pick-and-roll like they used to.

Duncan had a good defensive game, but Bonzi and Yao were just too much.

ashbeeigh
11-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Let me make this comment simple... I don't think most of you quite understand......

Bonner sucks.

I see we've found Sequ's new whipping boy.

:tu on the random thoughts, though, timvp. Agreed on all of them.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
As always, well thought out and stated.
I particularly agree with your takes on Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Pop.

Is this what you're going to do instead of grades this year?
I like it.
I liked the grades too but this seems deeper.
i like this well enough.

Grades gave an excuse for people to gripe over who deserved what last year.

Good takes.

SequSpur
11-07-2007, 12:06 AM
I like them also. They are usually right on and more objective.

Just because someone puts on a Spurs jersey doesn't necessarily make them an allstar in the Eastern Conference when they leave.

tmtcsc
11-07-2007, 12:14 AM
a November loss. whatever. wake me when the playoffs start. oh, and Ginobili looks good. We'll figure the Rockets out when it counts.

xamila rey
11-07-2007, 12:23 AM
thanks timvp! i like random thoughts better than grades,
in this way we avoid the discussion of Elson or whoever..didnt deserve C- or why duncan/ manu have only a b+, etc.
I agree on all that u said, specially that i would be worry if the spurs win too many in a row this early in the season.
I also see Manu with a monumental energy, i just hope he saves some for later...

gilmor
11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Great Analysis as usual.. I actually like Spurs' losses than wins.. in some ways..

Prob I am older nowadays..

whottt
11-07-2007, 12:28 AM
-Barry was decent. The Rockets hugging the three-point shooters took him out of the game for the most part. Decent to good effort defensively ... when he wasn't guarding Bonzi, that is.

-Pop confused me a bit with his coaching. I though Duncan and Parker should have played fewer minutes. Maybe I'm spoiled but I don't think an early November game is a game to be trotting Parker out there 40 minutes. I would have liked to have seen Washington play a bit more to get a better read on him. Overall though, this was your typical early season Spurs loss.

Whenever Pop wants our offense to start sucking early in the season he has sone of those "confusing" games. #1 thing he does is sit Barry...which usually then sends Barry into a funk because he wonders why in the heck Pop sat him.

It's a huge load of crap that Barry play against the Rockets, yet that is almost always the team Pop picks to sit him against.

I'll just point out 2 or 3 years ago when the Spurs won the title, late in the seaon when Duncan was out and the Rockets were playing well and the Spurs were beat to hell and having to start Marks. Brent whupped up on the Rockets...in the fourth. One of his best games actually.

Pop just flat out didn't play him till late...and Barry can do other stuff to help our offense besides shoot the 3.

Would have been nice to see more of Udoka early as well...if not Barry.

Perfect game for Barry though....it's not like we fucking stopped Banzi anyway.....might as well get some offense or defense.

Instead Pop went with Finley...fuck competitiveness....winning is better than losing with effort.

Bottom line...as you said, this was one of Pop's "confusing" games.

101A
11-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I figure Pop uses these games to test match-ups/combos - takes notes, files it away for use when it actually matters. Also I figure he makes a point of not playing his own hand. Phil Jackson used to do this to the Spurs/Pop during the regular season. Totally different beast in the playoffs.

DaDakota
11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
We lost to Dallas last night and beat you guys tonight and right now the Hornets are whuppin up on the Lakers.

Our division is going to be a dog fight....I think the NBA champ comes out of our division...again....

I just hope it is not a repeat champion.
;)

DD

spursfaninla
11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
It seems to me that Bonzi is a problem for the Spurs. He is too big and strong for our guards to handle him. When he plays sg we simply can't keep him off the boards.

The rebounding differential was outrageous and unacceptable.

And we missing something like 10 free throws.

I know we played decent d, and kept it relatively close, but Houston did a very good job of making TD beat them, and he didn't. Maybe that is the way to beat the Spurs; let TD be a scorer but not create for others. The scoring from our shooters is predicated on passing out of the double team on TD and on kickouts from tony and manu...

we dared Amare to beat us way back in the 2005 playoffs, he scored something like 39 a game and we still beat them. Maybe you let TD score 30+ , let Tony and manu shoot jumpers and even drive without doubling, and shut down the 3pt shooters to beat this team.

timvp
11-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I know we played decent d, and kept it relatively close, but Houston did a very good job of making TD beat them, and he didn't. Maybe that is the way to beat the Spurs; let TD be a scorer but not create for others. The scoring from our shooters is predicated on passing out of the double team on TD and on kickouts from tony and manu...

we dared Amare to beat us way back in the 2005 playoffs, he scored something like 39 a game and we still beat them. Maybe you let TD score 30+ , let Tony and manu shoot jumpers and even drive without doubling, and shut down the 3pt shooters to beat this team.In the playoffs, a team has never used that strategy to eliminate the Spurs. Teams have won a game like that but the Spurs adjust and Duncan beats teams single-handedly.

I'd welcome any team to hug the three-point shooters like the Rockets did tonight. Try that in the playoffs and the Spurs historically show they'll either sweep you or beat you in five.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2007, 01:05 AM
bonzi wells = spurs killa

dude always shows up to play against us compared to other teams

Cry Havoc
11-07-2007, 01:10 AM

we dared Amare to beat us way back in the 2005 playoffs, he scored something like 39 a game and we still beat them. Maybe you let TD score 30+ , let Tony and manu shoot jumpers and even drive without doubling, and shut down the 3pt shooters to beat this team.

That works with many players because they do not possess the basketball IQ of Duncan, nor the fundamentals. You can let a player like Amare go off, because you're going to catch him falling into a rhythm of scoring. Eventually, he will realize that you're letting him score and stop going through the motions of spotting open shooters. He's going to get a little too comfortable and turn the ball over.

Duncan is a machine in terms of scoring production. He is going to take 90-100% of what you give him every single game, and he's going to do it without turning the ball over or putting up bad shots. You're also going to let the offense dictate it's flow through the post game and pick up easy points while getting your own big men in foul trouble. This is going to limit you in 2 ways: 1. It means your big men will not be able to be aggressive on offense or pursuing rebounds. 2. It means that the 4 other Spurs on the court are going to get a huge "rest" while Duncan takes it in over and over again (offensive movement w/o the ball is much more wearing on a defense than an offense). They are going to be that much quicker on defense, where they can use that extra energy to get on the floor and make plays.

But hey, they can do what they want. ;) I'd be more than willing to see Duncan single covered for an entire series. After he fouls out their two PFs, are they going to put Yao on him?

polandprzem
11-07-2007, 01:50 AM
timvp preper to the next loss tonight

I hate that phrase - good loss

No matter what I hate lossing. If you would fight (boxing, MMA, whatever) are there good losses?

BeerIsGood!
11-07-2007, 04:10 AM
timvp preper to the next loss tonight

I hate that phrase - good loss

No matter what I hate lossing. If you would fight (boxing, MMA, whatever) are there good losses?

The fight hasn't been won or lost, there are 82 rounds to this fight, and then another 16+ round fight right after that one. Think of losing a few rounds now as learning and motivation to deliver when the fight hits the late rounds. The Spurs are body punchers, they win the fight in the late rounds when they step up and others are tired. You can't blow your wad early if you want to finish late.

BeerIsGood!
11-07-2007, 04:31 AM
The thing about this game is that even though the Spurs brought their D game and Duncan possibly his D- or F game, the Spurs were right there in the 4th to possibly take it with a nice little run. Even giving up 20-something offensive boards and shooting horribly all night they were right there against a Houston team that had Bonzi play the best game he's playing all season. There is no way this team should have been within 18 points in this game, and they were within 5 at one point midway through the 4th. Even a decent game from Duncan or Parker and this is a win. That's a damn good sign.

Admidave50
11-07-2007, 04:39 AM
This thread is nice since I couldn't watch the game! Way to go Timvp!

diego
11-07-2007, 07:33 AM
i have a lot of respect for pop but some times i just cant understand what he's doing. the beggining of the season is the time to be trying things out, and if circumstance is giving you subtle hints... why didnt he try udoka on wells earlier (at least while tmac was in). why didnt he let parker catch a breather and put washington out there. why didnt we try and go small (i thought that was what bonner/udoka are for)? I'm not saying we would have won with those moves, but it would have felt better to lose an experiment than doing a full court press with our "closer" unit down 10 with 15 sec to go.

and speaking of coaching moves, i havent seen a boxscore but it seemed to me that when the rockets played yao and mutombo they killed us. i guess we can go back to trashing oberto/elson/horry/bonner... bring in splitter already!

ploto
11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Oberto was pretty bad..Bonner was pretty horrible...Elson was really good in the first quarter. Trouble is he SUCKED in quarters two, three and four.

Or maybe Yao is that good...

1Parker1
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Bonner was horrible. I would have liked to see Pop give Udoka more minutes in the first 1/2 rather than just throw him in there in the 2nd half. Finley is looking like he's on his last run already this season....not a good sign.

Dirk Nowitzki
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
The Mavs are winning the championship this season. We lucked out by not playing them last year in the playoffs.

:)

sa_butta
11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Rebounding was big factor in the loss, but the ball was just no falling especially on inside scoring. We were also missing a 4th scorer after the big three, Finley had just 10 points. Normally one other person steps up. I also noticed that Darius Washington did not seem comfortable with actually taking shots. I dont know if Pop just wants him distributing and not too much shooting, but sometimes you have to take the initiative. Even as poor as we shot we still stayed in the game most of the way and I look for a better shooting and rebounding performance tonight. I think the Rockets just had too many bigs in the paint for us to really get anything going.

ShoogarBear
11-07-2007, 09:02 AM
In the playoffs, a team has never used that strategy to eliminate the Spurs. Teams have won a game like that but the Spurs adjust and Duncan beats teams single-handedly.

I'd welcome any team to hug the three-point shooters like the Rockets did tonight. Try that in the playoffs and the Spurs historically show they'll either sweep you or beat you in five.Yao is capable of bothering Tim for long stretches. Granted, the playoffs are a different story, but in the past Tim's always had DRob around when he had to play an elite center.

Houston is going to be a tough matchup. By the end of the year, maybe even tougher than the Mavs.

Slomo
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Bonner sucks.What exactly is your point?

Slomo
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Yao is capable of bothering Tim for long stretches. Granted, the playoffs are a different story, but in the past Tim's always had DRob around when he had to play an elite center.

Houston is going to be a tough matchup. By the end of the year, maybe even tougher than the Mavs.For all the criticism Rasho received these were the situations where he was the most useful. Defending Yao, Shaq and even KG was his speciality. So TD is really facinfg these guys alone (or with little help) for only the second season.

How did we do against those three last year? Didn't injuries play a part (I know Shaq's decline is becoming quite obvious)?

sa_butta
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
For all the criticism Rasho received these were the situations where he was the most useful. Defending Yao, Shaq and even KG was his speciality. So TD is really facinfg these guys alone (or with little help) for only the second season.

How did we do against those three last year? Didn't injuries play a part (I know Shaq's decline is becoming quite obvious)?I think Rasho was a better defender than Elson at this point. Elson looked lost or just plain missed assignments last night.

Indazone
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
After last night

Yao > Duncan

LOL

Slomo
11-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I think Rasho was a better defender than Elson at this point. Elson looked lost or just plain missed assignments last night.Rasho was a much better defender than Elson. He knew the system well and was rarely out of place in defensive sets. Just ask Tony what he thought of Rasho's screen and other similar stuff. But he was always criticized for his offensive performance (or lack of) both in terms of points and rebounds (his defensive rebs were also not stellar).

But my point was in regards to those specific - to use timvp's word - "elite" bigmen. As Shoogar noted first there was Robinson to help with those and after him came Rasho who's best moments were always against those bigmen. How much is the lack of help in defending them a factor? Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).

Slomo
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
After last night

Yao > Duncan

LOLOf course it is. And then you woke up because you had to pee. :rolleyes

Reggie Miller
11-07-2007, 10:13 AM
This thread is nice since I couldn't watch the game! Way to go Timvp!

Same here.

sa_butta
11-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).http://www.nba.com/games/20070303/SASHOU/boxscore.html <<Yao DNP (W)

http://www.nba.com/games/20070211/SASMIA/boxscore.html << outrebounded 46-30 (L)

http://www.nba.com/games/20070103/SASMIN/boxscore.html << outrebounded 41-39 Garnett had 17 rebounds. (L)

http://www.nba.com/games/20061222/HOUSAS/boxscore.html<< Yao played and go outrebounded 38-33 (L)

maxpower
11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Timvp, what are your random thoughts on Duncan waving off Pop after he picked up a quick second foul and after his 4th foul?

Did Pop just want to get Duncan to his normal rest time or is this a sign of something new.

I was really surprised he allowed Duncan to remain in after his 4th foul as the game was at a point where the rockets, with the lead could have really made an attempt to get another foul on Duncan and really take control of the game.

Indazone
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Of course it is. And then you woke up because you had to pee. :rolleyes

Yep and I dreamed last night that:

Yao 28 pts 13 rebounds 6 assist

Duncan 14 pts 10 rebounds 1 assist

Pretty good dream if ya ask me LOL :p:

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Ugly game all around. For as bad as the Spurs were from the line, the Rockets somehow managed to be worse.

Yao impressed me. I've seen plenty of Rockets games where he's either completely gassed by the fourth or simply disapears but he came up big down the stretch.

As for Bonzi Wells, I propose we take a page from Lawrence Taylor's playbook. Only instead of sending hookers we start sending cases of Krispy Kremes to Bonzi's place until he can't get out the front door. Because on the court it just seems the Spurs don't have an answer and won't have one any time soon.

BOX OUT, REBOUND, REPEAT. Pop should force everyone to walk around with that written on their foreheads for the rest of the week.

Spurs didn't guard against the 3 very well though I suspect some of them were the result of offensive boards for the Rockets getting the ball back to the perimeter before the Spurs could get back into their defense. Every time the Spurs started looking like there was hope they'd give up a wide open dagger three.

And I'll say what you're all thinking-if we had Beno we would have won last night.

tlongII
11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
What appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Rockets are just a superior team this season. Yao's size is clearly too much for Duncan. They have an excellent new coach in Adelman who Bonzi will actually play for. And they are able to beat the Spurs with TMac having an off night. Things don't look good for the Spurs.

Sweetey
11-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I did not like the way the Spurs played last night ! They looked lethargic and uninterested. But with 6 months to go until playoff time, I am not the least bit concerned. They'll be just fine and we WILL win #5 !! Book it !!

Sweetey
11-07-2007, 12:14 PM

Bonner sucks.
Bonner does NOT suck. The ENTIRE Spurs team sucked a big one last night. Don't blame it on Bonner.
:rolleyes

41times
11-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Okay i was not able to watch the game last night. So i need some clarifications.

After going to the Mavs vs. Rockets game and seeing the mavs run the rockets up and down the court thereby tiring out Yao and making him less effective in the 4th quarter i thought the Spurs would handle the Rox.

So was the pace too slow allowing Yao to play 42 minutes and kill you? The score seems low so my guess is the pace was slow?

And Timmy's numbers were bad. Was it an off night or did they so something special against him? Because if Timmy gets his usuall 23-24 points the Spurs win.

pawe
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Spurs are in trouble if they face the Rox in the playoffs. Bonzi is a spurs killer, Yao's length bothers TP and TD on the inside block, Battier is a great defender and a decent shooter on the 3 and of course there's always gonna be Tmac who always goes off against us. It's a psychological thing, they know they can win against us.
The Spurs have a winning attitude and I believe in it. Attitude for me is more important than skills and personnel.

pawe
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
^^^but I would welcome Dwight Howard anytime

ploto
11-07-2007, 01:03 PM
But my point was in regards to those specific - to use timvp's word - "elite" bigmen. As Shoogar noted first there was Robinson to help with those and after him came Rasho who's best moments were always against those bigmen. How much is the lack of help in defending them a factor? Last year we played with roughly the same roster - what happened last year? I don't remember anymore (and it's easier to ask here than go chasing the stats over the internets).
Spurs played Miami twice-- once without Shaq, Spurs won. Once with Shaq, Spurs lost.

Spurs played Houston 4 times-- twice with Yao (1-1); twice without Yao (1-1).

I do remember one game where Yao was dominating Oberto and Elson, but Pop switched Tim onto him and he did a great job. The Spurs have no one but Tim to cover those guys. NO ONE.

barbacoataco
11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Yao proved me wrong last night, because I did not believe he had the stamina to last that many minutes and play well. Can he keep it up for 82 games plus the playoffs? Who knows. This Houston team has a lot of weapons. Battier is one of the NBA's best defenders, Bonzi is long for his position and the Spurs can't contain him, Yao is a freak of nature, T-mac has the skills of Kobe or Wade, and Scola brings energy off the bench.

Out of all the Spurs current and potential bigs, which ones cn play Yao, other than Duncan? Oberto is too small, and Elson not pushy enough. Splitter has great size and strength, but he's 1-2 years away.

I still think in a 7 game series the Spurs win against the Rockets. Duncan, Manu, Bowen and Parker are just tougher, more competitive players. But the West is so deep anything could happen. New Orleans could also be in the mix.

whottt
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
What appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Rockets are just a superior team this season. Yao's size is clearly too much for Duncan. They have an excellent new coach in Adelman who Bonzi will actually play for. And they are able to beat the Spurs with TMac having an off night. Things don't look good for the Spurs.

What also appears to be getting lost in this discussion is that the Spurs sucked last night.

They actually haven't played that well this season yet...

phxspurfan
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Spurs played Miami twice-- once without Shaq, Spurs won. Once with Shaq, Spurs lost.

Spurs played Houston 4 times-- twice with Yao (1-1); twice without Yao (1-1).

I do remember one game where Yao was dominating Oberto and Elson, but Pop switched Tim onto him and he did a great job. The Spurs have no one but Tim to cover those guys. NO ONE.

This is not good. In an age where the NBA has slated all rules to allow for small ball and big teams like the Rockets still succeed, we have to find a way to defend both types. I hope the Spurs can come up with a system of defense that can slow Yao without slowing Duncan as well (putting TD on Yao). Otherwise, we will be just like all the other teams that have to make their best player lead both offense and defense. Those teams lose.

wildbill2u
11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
put this loss on Tim. No matter who they put on him on defense (Hayes, Scola, Yao), he didn't move well or shoot up to par. They are going to get a lot of rebounds when he shoots 5-15.

Remember that Houston won 52 games last year with Yao and TMac sidelined for a lot of games. They will be in the fight in the West this year.

1Parker1
11-07-2007, 02:04 PM
As long as Yao and McGrady are healthy, Houston will always be a threat/contender. Yao is a mismatch for every single player in the league and McGrady is an offensive threat to anyone and puts pressure on your defense. That combined with the fact that with Adelman as the coach, their offense will be even more potent (a problem the last few seasons I think), I think this is the year they finally get out of the 1st round.

BeerIsGood!
11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

I thought I told you to step up your game this season? This is the same weak ass trolling you've brought for the last two seasons at least. Get some new material.

BeerIsGood!
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
TlongII's a one trick pony. If you can't bring anything useful to the table and are basically just a resident troll, at least bring some variety. Your stuff isn't even worth reading anymore, it's all just the same stuff over and over.

YallMean
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Rockets fan here.

Ugly game last night. Both team looked sluggish and sloppy at times. The Rockets were on an back to back schedule, and they just played Mavs at Dallas on Monday. Tmac forced the issue in that game, probably tired himself, and therefore he was lethargic in the game.

I agree Spurs didnt look to be in playoff form either despite winning 4 games. But they are just coasting right now.

If Rockets and Spurs were to meet in the playoff, it's going to be hell of a series. Yao's length bothers TD, not only in this one game. Yall can see TD's frustration whenever he had to shoot over Yao. Yao stands there just engulfed TD. TD's best bet aginst Yao I think is at elbow, with a little more space to operate. TD's mobility bothers Yao. If TD's catches the ball at low post, Yao usually wins the battle.

Parker needs to be aggressive against Houston, which he wasnt. All in all, I think Spurs and Rockets evenly match up with each other. It's going to be tough for either team. It's the little thing and luck that probably dicate the outcome.

Now, I have to shout out this. I hate Manu and his drama queen flop, of course with all the respect.

Peace out. See you next game.

Slomo
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks sa_butta and ploto. My previous posts were from work and I didn't have time to check. You confirmed what I remembered from last year.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Rockets fan here.

Ugly game last night. Both team looked sluggish and sloppy at times. The Rockets were on an back to back schedule, and they just played Mavs at Dallas on Monday. Tmac forced the issue in that game, probably tired himself, and therefore he was lethargic in the game.

I agree Spurs didnt look to be in playoff form either despite winning 4 games. But they are just coasting right now.

If Rockets and Spurs were to meet in the playoff, it's going to be hell of a series. Yao's length bothers TD, not only in this one game. Yall can see TD's frustration whenever he had to shoot over Yao. Yao stands there just engulfed TD. TD's best bet aginst Yao I think is at elbow, with a little more space to operate. TD's mobility bothers Yao. If TD's catches the ball at low post, Yao usually wins the battle.

Parker needs to be aggressive against Houston, which he wasnt. All in all, I think Spurs and Rockets evenly match up with each other. It's going to be tough for either team. It's the little thing and luck that probably dicate the outcome.

Now, I have to shout out this. I hate Manu and his drama queen flop, of course with all the respect.

Peace out. See you next game.
:tu Good first post. Welcome to the board.

WalterBenitez
11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Or maybe Yao is that good...

It is not easy to say that :oink

ManuTastic
11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
One note to file away on the Rox: full court press is tough for them to handle. They have a big heavy team, not fast guys with good handle. Smokin'

YallMean
11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
One note to file away on the Rox: full court press is tough for them to handle. They have a big heavy team, not fast guys with good handle. Smokin'

:lol

That's a major reason why we still keep Rafer and Francis is on the bench. Yall saw last night 3-4 mintues till the end, Spurs making a push on us. Mike James offensively is more of weapon for us, and Rafer's offense is as ugly as the "Tony Parker wanna be" tear drop of his. But Rafer is an excellent ball handler. Other than that, there is really no reason for him to start and finish game for us while Francis is on the pine not seeing any minutes.

Holt's Cat
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Good early season loss. There's a bit too much hubris in the air about this team being a 'dynasty'. Hopefully some other team will hit their stride too soon and earn the mantle of prohibitive '08 NBA Champs by February. The Spurs are at their best when they are forgotten.

Didn't get to see the game, but the single digit 3 point attempts stuck out like a sore thumb. As did the rebounding disparity. What wonders a Reggie Evans would do for this team. Not that I expect the Spurs to make a mid-season move, but if the right PF or C became available it might be worth the Spurs exploring that route.

Anyways, it's November 7th.

Holt's Cat
11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
PS...Spurs got 8 rebounds from their swingman rotation. Feels kinda light.

tlongII
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
TlongII's a one trick pony. If you can't bring anything useful to the table and are basically just a resident troll, at least bring some variety. Your stuff isn't even worth reading anymore, it's all just the same stuff over and over.

Attack the post, not the poster! But...........................you can't do that, can you? It's all right. All good things must come to an end. I'm actually a bit sad to see that the Spurs are outclassed this early. I would prefer that the Blazers knock them off the throne, but it appears that we will have to deal with Houston.

By the way. That sound you just heard? It was the window of opportunity slamming shut for the Spurs.

Holt's Cat
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
By the way. That sound you just heard? It was the window of opportunity slamming shut for the Spurs.

Nah, that was just Oden hitting the floor.

kingmalaki
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
If you go back and watch previous Rockets/Spurs games it’s obvious that Yao’s length gives Duncan some trouble. I’m not saying Yao is a Duncan stopper, but it is clearly hard to shoot over a 7’6 dude. Duncan’s offensive game is built more on fundamentals and power and less on athleticism (either too strong for folks in the post or can shoot over dudes). The guys that give Yao problems are the ones that can easily go around him (Amare, Boozer) because he is so slow. Yao has always done a decent job on traditional bigs.

Last night was just one game but I did see some trends that should make this a competitive series this season:

A) We still have no defensive answer at PF for Duncan. However Yao can hold him for stretches. Does this mean a Yao/Duncan matchup come 4th quarter time?
B) The Rockets have two big guards that can score, but y’all only have one perimeter player who can contain big perimeter players (Bowen). What’s up with the dude y’all just acquired? Is he any good and will he get PT?
C) We still have no answer for Parker, or any other PG that can create their own offense.
D) We can stay in a game (well, at least keep scoring) when our bench comes in (Wells, James, Scola – even though he sucked last night). Francis still hasn’t played yet.
E) Adelman’s system gets our stars easy buckets now.
F) Robert Horry is an important piece of the team.

I still feel like SA is the best team in the league but I like the changes my Rockets have made. I still think Dallas has matchup advantages over both of our squads, depending on which Dirk comes to play. Our division should be the leagues toughest again (and I haven’t even mentioned the Hornets yet).

BeerIsGood!
11-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Attack the post, not the poster! But...........................you can't do that, can you? It's all right. All good things must come to an end. I'm actually a bit sad to see that the Spurs are outclassed this early. I would prefer that the Blazers knock them off the throne, but it appears that we will have to deal with Houston.

I'm not attacking you bud, I'm attacking your weak trolling post - the same one you use over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

That sound you hear is the tearing of the knee of that 50 year old fucker the Blazers believed was 18!

Obstructed_View
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Sorry, but your posts have no substance to attack. Seriously, if you can't be imaginative, you might as well just paste the same stupid shit into your posts or retire. I suppose I could just respond by asking how that Sam Bowie pick is turning out; it's a bit more clever than anything you've posted lately.

If the Rockets can hold Duncan to 30 percent shooting from the floor and out-rebound the Spurs by 27, 21 of them offensive, then they can expect to win close games at home. As a Spurs fan, I'm shaking in my boots.

Roxsfan
11-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Yao proved me wrong last night, because I did not believe he had the stamina to last that many minutes and play well. Can he keep it up for 82 games plus the playoffs? Who knows. This Houston team has a lot of weapons. Battier is one of the NBA's best defenders, Bonzi is long for his position and the Spurs can't contain him, Yao is a freak of nature, T-mac has the skills of Kobe or Wade, and Scola brings energy off the bench.

Out of all the Spurs current and potential bigs, which ones cn play Yao, other than Duncan? Oberto is too small, and Elson not pushy enough. Splitter has great size and strength, but he's 1-2 years away.

I still think in a 7 game series the Spurs win against the Rockets. Duncan, Manu, Bowen and Parker are just tougher, more competitive players. But the West is so deep anything could happen. New Orleans could also be in the mix.

Yeah, plus Mike James has been a God-sent too...hitting 3s, driving the lane for easy buckets or assists...scoring punch off the bench.

I want to see this!!!

ChumpDumper
11-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Jackie Butler kicked our ass.