PDA

View Full Version : UPS is fucking retarded

baseline bum
11-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I've been waiting on my XBox360 to be delivered via UPS from the repair center in McAllen, TX to my place in Los Angeles, CA, and I finally got a tracking number for it. I went to the UPS website to check the tracking information, and I see that it was first shipped from McAllen to Houston. Hmm I start thinking, Houston is the wrong way; LA is west, and Houston's a pretty decent distance east of McAllen. Still, I guess Houston is one of their main distribution centers for Texas, so it's not that strange I guess. Now, I see my freaking package is in Louisville, Kentucky. What in the fuck? Why the hell would they send it halfway across the country in the wrong goddamn direction? Is UPS that stupid? I get that they have to send packages to main distribution centers and all, but am I supposed to believe they have no route to LA from Houston, or not even to a closer major city such as Dallas, Oklahoma City, Saint Louis, Denver, Salt Lake City, or something more reasonable than 960 miles in the wrong direction from Houston?

The distance from McAllen to Louisville is 1308 miles. The distance from McAllen to Los Angeles is 1541 miles. So basically, they've delivered the package 85% of the length of the trip, but in the exact fucking opposite direction. How can this company of retards stay afloat? So far, the best case has them shipping my package 3398 miles to get it to a location 1541 miles from the starting destination, but that's only if it comes directly to LA from Louisville.

Sunshine
11-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I work for DHL, so I know of what you speak, so to speak.

I can't explain the McAllen to Houston trek, but the main hub for ALL major carriers (DHL, UPS, FedEx) is in Kentucky. Well, DHL's is in Willmington OH but it's across the border). Every package is flown from it's original departure point to the main hub where the plane is emptied, and package are sorted according to final destination.

So your package went on a plane with all the other packages coming from the McAllen sub-station, flew into Kentucky (via Houston for some reason) then got sorted and put on a plane that will go into the airport in LA where UPS will then distribute them into trucks going to all the UPS sub-stations in LA for final delivery.

Yeah, it's retarded.

Edited to add: Houston is the Texas distribution point for UPS. So that's why it went from McAllen to Houston.

baseline bum
11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I work for DHL, so I know of what you speak, so to speak.

I can't explain the McAllen to Houston trek, but the main hub for ALL major carriers (DHL, UPS, FedEx) is in Kentucky. Well, DHL's is in Willmington OH but it's across the border). Every package is flown from it's original departure point to the main hub where the plane is emptied, and package are sorted according to final destination.

So your package went on a plane with all the other packages coming from the McAllen sub-station, flew into Kentucky (via Houston for some reason) then got sorted and put on a plane that will go into the airport in LA where UPS will then distribute them into trucks going to all the UPS sub-stations in LA for final delivery.

Yeah, it's retarded.

Seriously? :dizzy

When I sent it to McAllen to get fixed, it was on the same 3-day ground shipping plan, and went from LA to DFW to San Antonio to McAllen. Seems like a much smarter route to me.

Summers
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
As long as the delivery guys keep wearing those little shorts to deliver packages, I'm cool.

baseline bum
11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
As long as the delivery guys keep wearing those little shorts to deliver packages, I'm cool.

I'm a stick a knife in their package if my 360 comes back damaged. UPS sucks ass. I always use FedEx as UPS has screwed my mail up 2 out of the 3 times I've used them, but Microsoft paid the shipping and insisted on shitty UPS. FedEx is so much more reliable, and I've never had any issue with them.

The Korean jerkoff at the UPS store on Santa Monica Blvd actually dropped my 360 onto the ground (as opposed to setting it down) when I took it into their store to have it shipped in the first place. I really wanted to jump over the counter and kick the shit out of him, but I figured my not having done that saved my XBox from a good kick or two.

LuvBones
11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
As long as the delivery guys keep wearing those little shorts to deliver packages, I'm cool.:tu The UPS guy that comes to my work every day is nice eye candy. :D

LuvBones
11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
double post. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/drool.gif

Beno Udrih
11-08-2007, 12:18 AM
double post. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/drool.gif
:lol

ShoogarBear
11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I though FedEx's hub was Memphis, not Kentucky.

What I was always told was that if I send a package to a place across the street via FedEx Overnight, it goes to Memphis. They've just calculated it to be more cost efficient to send everything to one hub, even if it's going just a short distance.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2007, 12:52 AM
What I was always told was that if I send a package to a place across the street via FedEx

Actually, it'd be more cost-efficient for you to take the package across the street.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/The_More_You_Know.jpg

florige
11-08-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm a stick a knife in their package if my 360 comes back damaged. UPS sucks ass. I always use FedEx as UPS has screwed my mail up 2 out of the 3 times I've used them, but Microsoft paid the shipping and insisted on shitty UPS. FedEx is so much more reliable, and I've never had any issue with them.

The Korean jerkoff at the UPS store on Santa Monica Blvd actually dropped my 360 onto the ground (as opposed to setting it down) when I took it into their store to have it shipped in the first place. I really wanted to jump over the counter and kick the shit out of him, but I figured my not having done that saved my XBox from a good kick or two.

Then dude do yourself a favor and never go to the hub where they actually throw (Im sorry gently care for your package like it's their very own) the package like Troy Aikman throwing a screen pass to Michael Irvin. I worked there in the hub while I was in school part-time. In training they tell you to treat those packages gently or whatever, but once those packages come flying down that freakin conveyor all package ethics go out the window! Yeah so if you wanted to just kick that Korean, I;m pretty sure after visting the hub you would probably want to visit the nearest pawn shop if you know what I mean.... :smokin

Shelly
11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I have rotating UPS guys come to my house :nerd

But seriously, every month it's someone new. I'm sure they hate coming to my house because as soon as my dog sees UPS coming to the door, she goes ballistic. They pretty much throw my delivery at the door and run for cover.

703 Spurz
11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I though FedEx's hub was Memphis, not Kentucky.

What I was always told was that if I send a package to a place across the street via FedEx Overnight, it goes to Memphis. They've just calculated it to be more cost efficient to send everything to one hub, even if it's going just a short distance.

Now that's retarded

Sunshine
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Just be glad you GET it period. I can't tell you how many Dell Computers, XBoxes and other high dollar items get "lost" in transit.

Shelly
11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Just be glad you GET it period. I can't tell you how many Dell Computers, XBoxes and other high dollar items get "lost" in transit.

http://consumerist.com/search/dhl/

read the first two stories!

resistanze
11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
You're mad cuz their style you're admiring
Don't be mad, UPS is hiring

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
You're mad cuz their style you're admiring
Don't be mad, UPS is hiring

Damnit, I had that line saved up for Shoog came in with his comeback.

I challenge you to a duel! :lol

Sunshine
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
http://consumerist.com/search/dhl/

read the first two stories!

I used to have a link to a website called "IHATEDHL" that was full of horrible stories!

The sad thing is, this isn't just an issue with DHL. You will find these same complaints against UPS and FedEx. I deal with customers everyday who are switching to DHL because "FedEx has lost every package I ship" or "UPS must use elephants in their warehouse, they constantly break things".

Two Christmases ago, I worked in Tracking and Tracing during the holiday season (for DHL) and it became a joke as to how many customers we were filing SVP claims for on missing/lost XBoxes. They'd arrive at the destination station and scans would stop there.....just into a black hole.

Shelly
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I used to have a link to a website called "IHATEDHL" that was full of horrible stories!

The sad thing is, this isn't just an issue with DHL. You will find these same complaints against UPS and FedEx. I deal with customers everyday who are switching to DHL because "FedEx has lost every package I ship" or "UPS must use elephants in their warehouse, they constantly break things".

Two Christmases ago, I worked in Tracking and Tracing during the holiday season (for DHL) and it became a joke as to how many customers we were filing SVP claims for on missing/lost XBoxes. They'd arrive at the destination station and scans would stop there.....just into a black hole.

Oh, I know! They all have their problems. Plenty of times UPS tracking will say it's gonna be delivered on such and such date, only to come the day before and no one being home to sign for it.

My husband just recently tracked a FEDEX ground package and noticed they had the wrong street. Called and got it corrected (surprisingly!). They told him it would be redelivered in 2 days. It came in one.

marini martini
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Dayum, they better not screw up my lampe burger oil, I just ordered off e-bay :madrun :lol :madrun

resistanze
11-08-2007, 02:04 PM

I challenge you to a duel! :lol
I was fighting the urge to use it all morning, I couldn't resist!

florige
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Dayum, they better not screw up my lampe burger oil, I just ordered off e-bay :madrun :lol :madrun

You can kiss that Burger oil goodbye..... :depressed

ShoogarBear
11-08-2007, 07:26 PM

I challenge you to a duel! :lolI thought you were honoring the writers' strike.

ShoogarBear
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
:lol This should be a poll: who's worse, UPS, FedEx, DHL, or USPS?

By far, my worst experiences have been with UPS.

2Blonde
11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
My worst has been with DHL (Sorry Sunshine :spin ). A couple of months ago Logitech was sending me a replacement wireless mouse for my laptop. It made it to the truck so I thought cool I'll get it today. No delivery. I got busy and didn't realize it for almost a week. Then I looked up the tracking info and it said delivered. I called them and they contacted the driver and she said yes she delivered it. I said no way. Then I asked where she delivered it. They described the house across the street which is vacant and has a "for sale" sign out front. I explained to them which side of the road I was on and that my house is the only one of three houses here that DOES NOT have a for sale sign. I also told them there is a mailbox on my lot with my address on it. She went out to retrieve the package the next day and bring it to me. She called back and said the package had already been picked up and that she delivered it to the right address. Once again she described my neighbor's house across the street. I told her supervisor to stand at that house and look across the road at the house with cars, a circle driveway and NO "for sale" sign!!! Logitech sent out a new mouse and once again she tried to deliver it to the wrong house. So I went out front and made 2 big arrows with yellow electrical tape directing her to my house. I finally got it the next day.

Then about 2 weeks ago I ordered new cell phones. They were shipped out and arrived in SA the next day. It took them 2 days to deliver it and when I got the package, the guy said it looks a little beat up but I'm sure it's fine. It looked like it had been opened ad restuffed with extra packing material and then tape over to hold it shut. He bolted right after that before I could even open the package to check it out. Sure enough one of the cellphones was missing. The packaging for it was there but the phone and sim card were missing. I called them and they said they would start an investigation. I never heard another word. The company who sent it wanted to wait for the investigation to be complete before they sent me another phone. I had to speak with a manager before I could get them to send me a replacement now. I had them ship it on a different carrier this time. FedEX, I think. Got it the next day with no problems.
The sad thing is that DHL has been delivering to my house for months with no problem and then all of the sudden I can't get anything done right from them.