PDA

View Full Version : lol, Mike D'Antoni

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AoVI8FV74lxR0I6..LwU52CQvLYF?gid=200 7110701

Grant Hill 41 minutes
Steve Nash 37 minutes

MaNuMaNiAc
11-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Leave him alone! Regular season is all he's got!

timvp
11-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Two 40+ minute games for Grant Hill already?

Lunacy.

AZLouis
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
If you're going to try and tell me that PO minutes against the Hawks during the 5th game of the season is funny...

Cause it is. That sure is a deep bench. Meaning look how many guys sit there and watch.

Add to that the 4 Hawks guys who grabbed 10+ boards too.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Wow, 20 and 12 for Marvin, 19 and 10 for Childress.

monosylab1k
11-07-2007, 11:23 PM
The Hawks are a damn good young team. Joe Johnson, Marvin, & Josh are all proven studs IMO, and if Law figures things out at PG & Horford is the real deal, they're gonna be a force in the East for years.

But this game was karma for the NBA trying to protect their golden child. Stu Jackson may not want to punish Nash for his dirty malicious attack on Raymond Felton, but the Basketball Gods exacted justice on the Suns tonight.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Stu Jackson may not want to punish Nash for his dirty malicious attack on Raymond Felton, but the Basketball Gods exacted justice on the Suns tonight.

Yet Stack committing a flagrant one on Shaq was worth sitting down for G5 of the Finals. Fuck Stu Jackson.

phyzik
wow.....

I really dont know what to say....

Grant fucking Hill with 41 minutes? Is D'Antoni seriously relying on Mr candy-glass? I give another 10 games until an epic failure of the ankles with those kind of minutes.... and thats being generous.

OldDirtMcGirt
In MD's fairness, one of our starters didn't play so this was hardly their normal minutes. When Amare gets back into the lineup, I hope that we see Nash and Hill down at 35.

Findog
wow.....

I really dont know what to say....

Grant fucking Hill with 41 minutes? Is D'Antoni seriously relying on Mr candy-glass? I give another 10 games until an epic failure of the ankles with those kind of minutes.... and thats being generous.

Didn't even get the win to make it "worth it."

monosylab1k
11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
In MD's fairness, one of our starters didn't play so this was hardly their normal minutes. When Amare gets back into the lineup, I hope that we see Nash and Hill down at 35.
how about giving more minutes to Marks/Skinner instead of wearing out Mr. Glass?

:lmao when Devin Harris went down, Avery didn't respond by playing Eddie Jones for 40 minutes. He played his fucking backup PG like a coach is supposed to.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Sean Marks 6 minutes
Brian Skinner 4 minutes
Marcus Banks 4 minutes

What the hell?

AZLouis
11-07-2007, 11:28 PM

It's only a sign of things to come. He hasn't changed one bit.

Antoni isn't one to hold back. After all they do give out regular season trophies. Right?

OldDirtMcGirt
11-07-2007, 11:28 PM
how about giving more minutes to Marks/Skinner instead of wearing out Mr. Glass?

He should definitely give more minutes to Skinner, and at least give Tucker or Strawberry a chance. I'm not trying to defend Mike, if anything I'm more pissed about it because he's fucking up my team.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I really feel bad for JMark, ODM, Nashfan, AZLouis, BillsCarnage, Ron, they're good fans that deserve better...

but other than that, :lol

phyzik
11-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Dont know if you heard recently.......

------===========NEWS==========-------

The sky is blue.

Water is wet.

Wind Blows.

The sun is bright.

Night time is dark.

35 minutes is 20 minutes too much For freaking Grant Hill.

itzsoweezee
11-07-2007, 11:30 PM
lol @ suns fans who were claiming that phoenix is deeper this year.

OldDirtMcGirt
11-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I really feel bad for JMark, ODM, Nashfan, AZLouis, BillsCarnage, Ron, they're good fans that deserve better...

Get Carlisle up in this bitch. At least he knows how to play some defense.

OldDirtMcGirt
11-07-2007, 11:32 PM
lol @ suns fans who were claiming that phoenix is deeper this year.

I legitimately think that we are deeper this year, and I don't think that's being a homer. The only problem is you could have the entire fucking hall of fame on your bench, and if your coach doesn't play them it don't mean shit.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Get Carlisle up in this bitch. At least he knows how to play some defense.

You think this is D'Antoni's last stand if he can't get it done? I think Carslisle would be a terrific coach for Phoenix. Probably wouldn't tinker with the offense too much, would make them accountable to play defense and would GASP! use an 8-man rotation during the regular season.

monosylab1k
11-07-2007, 11:36 PM

I'm sure in some Phoenix suburb tonight, da_suns_fan & DannyB & yourcheatinheart are all crying over bottles of Zima about tonight's loss. And getting ready to crawl into their 3-way spooning train and kiss each other good night.

OldDirtMcGirt
11-07-2007, 11:37 PM
You think this is D'Antoni's last stand if he can't get it done? I think Carslisle would be a terrific coach for Phoenix. Probably wouldn't tinker with the offense too much, would make them accountable to play defense and would GASP! use an 8-man rotation during the regular season.

I sure hope so. Especially if we get fucked over by his short rotations and complete neglect towards rebounding and defense. The past two season there have been some mitagating circumstances in the playoffs, but enough is enough. IMO we have the most individually talented team in the NBA, but our coaching is bringing us down. This offense can basically run itself, hell all the insight I ever hear from D'Antoni on the bench is "run faster". Carlisle is a proven guy who fits in perfectly with our deficiencies.

That said, Sarver seems to be just a greedy bastard who doesn't give a shit about post season success and just wants to see us be the most entertaining team in the NBA and bring in the dough.

phyzik
11-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I legitimately think that we are deeper this year, and I don't think that's being a homer. The only problem is you could have the entire fucking hall of fame on your bench, and if your coach doesn't play them it don't mean shit.

I agree with this.

Playing Grant Hill that much is akin to Pop playing Horry for that much.... it just doesnt make sense.... especially in a loss.

dont get me wrong, I think Grant Hill would be a great pickup for any team coming off the bench, but playing him that much is just asking for trouble considering his history.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm sure in some Phoenix suburb tonight, da_suns_fan & DannyB & yourcheatinheart are all crying over bottles of Zima about tonight's loss. And getting ready to crawl into their 3-way spooning train and kiss each other good night.

Zima? More like Mike's Hard Lemonade, followed by a nice group shower and eating spaghetti together in order to "meet in the middle."

monosylab1k
11-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Zima? More like Mike's Hard Lemonade, followed by a nice group shower and eating spaghetti together in order to "meet in the middle."
:lol

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
:lol

Texans drink Lone Star.

Findog
11-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I

That said, Sarver seems to be just a greedy bastard who doesn't give a shit about post season success and just wants to see us be the most entertaining team in the NBA and bring in the dough.

Quite the contrast:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1354/584119690_5966268873_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1417/570366725_988e01fbaa.jpg

vicphoenix
11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AoVI8FV74lxR0I6..LwU52CQvLYF?gid=200 7110701

Grant Hill 41 minutes
Steve Nash 37 minutes

There is no doubt that Grant Hill shouldn't be playing 40 minutes. As for Steve Nash, 37 minutes is fine considering he only played 25 minutes the previous night. I don't get why Nash's minutes are such an issue? Oh yeah, that's because Mark Cuban tried to make it an issue. Remember, Nash has played an average of 75 games the last three seasons. He also stays in tremendous shape and has never missed a ton of time due to injury.

Findog
11-08-2007, 12:04 AM
There is no doubt that Grant Hill shouldn't be playing 40 minutes. As for Steve Nash, 37 minutes is fine considering he only played 25 minutes the previous night. I don't get why Nash's minutes are such an issue? Oh yeah, that's because Mark Cuban tried to make it an issue. Remember, Nash has played an average of 75 games the last three seasons. He also stays in tremendous shape and has never missed a ton of time due to injury.

His performance tends to drop off the later his teams advance in the playoffs. He broke down against Bibby and Parker his last years in Dallas, and he hasn't played all that well when his Phoenix teams have been eliminated. I agree he's not as fragile as Grant Hill, but I wouldn't play him more than 33 minutes a night in the regular season.

vicphoenix
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
His performance tends to drop off the later his teams advance in the playoffs. He broke down against Bibby and Parker his last years in Dallas, and he hasn't played all that well when his Phoenix teams have been eliminated. I agree he's not as fragile as Grant Hill, but I wouldn't play him more than 33 minutes a night in the regular season.

Nash didn't play well in the 04 playoffs but that was one season. That Mavs team had alot of flaws anyway. But in the playoffs the last three seasons, Nash has played great. His last three playoffs average out to 21 ppg, 12 apg and 52 percent shooting. I would argue that the only team that has contained him is the Spurs. Even with that, Nash still managed 20 ppg, 11 apg and 48 percent shooting against them in the 2007 Western Conference semi-finals.

ShoogarBear
11-08-2007, 01:00 AM
The bad news is Grant Hill is averaging more MPG with the Suns than he did with the Magic.

But the good news is, he's jacking up 2.8 3PA per game.

And hitting at 9%.

Xylus
11-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Jesus Christ, I think I could coach the Suns better than D'Antoni could.

objective
11-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Tony Parker just lodged 81 minutes in a back to back. Before last year's playoffs Parker is also a player who could be viewed as someone who faded late in the playoffs. Manu also played more minutes than usual albeit slightly.

Yes, there's a big difference between them and Grant Hill and D'Antoni's track record on these things, but even Pop sometimes will have his guys lodge more minutes than you might expect.

timvp
11-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Tony Parker just lodged 81 minutes in a back to back.Parker is 25 and Pop is trying to knock off some of Parker's rust from not playing much in training camp or the preseason.

Hill is 35 and D'Antoni is playing Hill more in early November than any sane coach would play Hill in late May.

objective
11-08-2007, 03:04 AM
much less knocking off rust than not trusting DW. That's why the major minutes in a b2b.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2007, 03:09 AM
:clap

I agree completely. When the coach doesn't even let the bench guys practice, depth means little to nothing.

timvp
11-08-2007, 03:42 AM
much less knocking off rust than not trusting DW. That's why the major minutes in a b2b.Doubt it. Pop could go with more of Manu at point guard if he really wanted to limit Parker's minutes and didn't trust Washington. Parker had to eventually play his way back into shape and playing him major minutes is the fastest way to do that.

ShoogarBear
11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Tony Parker just lodged 81 minutes in a back to back. Before last year's playoffs Parker is also a player who could be viewed as someone who faded late in the playoffs. Manu also played more minutes than usual albeit slightly.

Yes, there's a big difference between them and Grant Hill and D'Antoni's track record on these things, but even Pop sometimes will have his guys lodge more minutes than you might expect.Wrong on two counts:

a) Parker's fading never had anything to do with his minutes.

b) There are only two teams which won an NBA title with nobody averaging over 35 minutes per game during the regular season: the 2005 San Antonio Spurs and the 2007 San Antonio Spurs.

Findog
11-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Nash didn't play well in the 04 playoffs but that was one season. That Mavs team had alot of flaws anyway. But in the playoffs the last three seasons, Nash has played great. His last three playoffs average out to 21 ppg, 12 apg and 52 percent shooting. I would argue that the only team that has contained him is the Spurs. Even with that, Nash still managed 20 ppg, 11 apg and 48 percent shooting against them in the 2007 Western Conference semi-finals.

He didn't play that great against us in the 06 Conf. Finals. He had a great Game One and the rest of the series he was alright by his standards. He sucked in the elimination game.

1Parker1
11-08-2007, 09:15 AM
The problem with DAntoni is that he isn't learning from his mistakes in the playoffs every season to better the Suns chances the following season. Case in point, their first season together....won 64 some games in the regular season, and in the post season the Spurs annihilated them in 5 easy games showcasing their biggest problem: lack of defense. The following season, he still didn't address this: Adding 1 Raja Bell does not instantly make your entire team a "defensive team." Last year, aside from whatever excuses Suns fans want to make, fact is the 4 games the Spurs did win showcased the Suns other weakness: They have no playmakers outside of Steve Nash, they are horrible at rebounding, and they don't know how to maintain their compsure under pressure playoff situations. So how do they start off this season in response to this? D Antoni already gets into a mindless fight with Phil Jackson over timeouts, they add a "playmaker" in Grant but decide to play him 35-30 minutes early in the season when he clearly shouldn't be, and their rebounding issues still haven't been addressed. Not to mention their short rotations and DAntoni's lack of trust in what happens to be a very good bench he has.

Basically Steve Nash is running the Suns, that's why they look good on paper. Guarantee come playoff time if DAntoni doesn't address any of these issues, which it doesnt look like he will judging from past experiences, Suns are going to be looking at yet another early round exit.

Reggie Miller
11-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Jesus Christ, I think I could coach the Suns better than D'Antoni could.

If it's any consolation, I think you could do better as well.

Another wrinkle is that you can't trade players that never play. You'd think Mikey Mike would give these guys some burn, just so he had some hope of generating trade interest.

IIRC, the Suns do not have a dramatic home/away split. When you consider that, there is zero rationale for this behavior.

Reggie Miller
11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Wrong on two counts:

a) Parker's fading never had anything to do with his minutes.

b) There are only two teams which won an NBA title with nobody averaging over 35 minutes per game during the regular season: the 2005 San Antonio Spurs and the 2007 San Antonio Spurs.

Just a thought, but this is also consistent with the overall Spurs' team philosophy. You can't preach "team, team, team" and then hand out minutes like MD. Keeping everyone sharp and conditioned is only part of it. Pop's approach means that everyone (well everyone except Beano) knows their roles and knows that they will get PT if they fulfill them.

Taco
11-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Leave him alone! Regular season is all he's got!

:lmao

Extra Stout
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
With the talent on the Phoenix roster, one of my bowel movements could coach them to the Pacific Division title.

D'Antoni is a phony and a fraud who gets lauded because he plays a style that looks pretty, though ultimately it is incompatible with winning championships. He is Paul Westhead with a more talented roster.

If Phoenix had a real coach, Suns fans wouldn't have to whine about the Amare/Diaw suspensions, because they wouldn't have mattered, and the Spurs' dynasty might now be considered a thing of the past.

Armando
11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Losing to the Hawks sucks but that being said they are off to a better start this season compared to last season when they were 1-4. However D'Antoni needs to give Banks,Tucker,Skinner and Strawberry more minutes. On to the Heat.

hater
11-08-2007, 12:44 PM
HAHAHA

Suns are in for a great season!

karma is a bitch!!!!!

Armando
11-08-2007, 12:44 PM
With the talent on the Phoenix roster, one of my bowel movements could coach them to the Pacific Division title.

D'Antoni is a phony and a fraud who gets lauded because he plays a style that looks pretty, though ultimately it is incompatible with winning championships. He is Paul Westhead with a more talented roster.

If Phoenix had a real coach, Suns fans wouldn't have to whine about the Amare/Diaw suspensions, because they wouldn't have mattered, and the Spurs' dynasty might now be considered a thing of the past.

Who though? You do want a coach who places more focus and defense and plays his bench more but at the same time you don't want a Jeff Van Gundy who will slow down the offense to a crawl.

da_suns_fan__
11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I remember Ponky starting this exact same thread towards the end of the season last year.

Of course, she learned her lesson and dissapeared.

The rest of the Mavs fans should take notice and realize they have no room to criticize.

Whatever Avery's minute distribution is, its not working (see playoffs)!!!

sribb43
11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Jermaine Jones, James Jones, Kurt Thomas anyone. I know those guys arent great but better than having to run out marks, skinner, and playing Hill 40min a night in game 5 of the season. And props to D'Antoni for making Hill a 3pt shooter

oh ya and thats 41 minutes on the 2nd night of a back to back

Oh, Gee!!
11-08-2007, 02:08 PM
he's gonna kill grant.

Findog
11-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I remember Ponky starting this exact same thread towards the end of the season last year.

The rest of the Mavs fans should take notice and realize they have no room to criticize.

Capitalize your O Motherfucker.

Extra Stout
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Yes, because the Suns have so many more Finals appearances in the last five years than the Mavs do, and have all those series wins over the Spurs.

Stabbin' Cabin
11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
D'Antoni is a clown. He specializes at one part of the game and blows at everything else. We will never win a damn thing with him running the team.

vicphoenix
11-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, because the Suns have so many more Finals appearances in the last five years than the Mavs do, and have all those series wins over the Spurs.

You forgot to add that the Mavs have one more first round exit than the Suns the last three years. No one cares about Finals appearances. Both the Suns and Mavs have yet to win a championship.

Findog
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
You forgot to add that the Mavs have one more first round exit than the Suns the last three years. No one cares about Finals appearances. Both the Suns and Mavs have yet to win a championship.

Who's closer to a title? It's debatable. Dallas has actually taken the Spurs out, Phoenix hasn't. Congratulations on beating the LA teams, that's really something to hang your hat on, and hold over Mavericks fans.

Xylus
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Who's closer to a title? It's debatable. Dallas has actually taken the Spurs out, Phoenix hasn't. Congratulations on beating the LA teams, that's really something to hang your hat on, and hold over Mavericks fans.
What do the playoffs of bygone years have to do with the upcoming playoffs? It doesn't matter if the Mavs have beaten the Spurs, they still lost to Miami and Golden State after that. The Suns, meanwhile, seem to have the leg up on everyone but San Antonio at the moment.

You're right, it is debatable, but I wouldn't use either the Suns' or Mavericks' track record in recent postseasons as an argument. We'll have to see how the regular season plays out before we can make that call.

Extra Stout
11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
So I suppose if I look up in the rafters in the US Airways Center, I won't see banners for the 1976 and 1993 Western Conference titles?

JMarkJohns
11-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Don't feel bad for us. Just pray. Pray so we make it through the day.

:shootme

If you're not a praying post, then perhaps you can off D'Antoni and Sarver for us? Hey, you can't blame a desperate man for asking, can ya?

Mister Sinister
11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Don't feel bad for us. Just pray. Pray so we make it through the day.

:shootme

If you're not a praying post, then perhaps you can off D'Antoni and Sarver for us? Hey, you can't blame a desperate man for asking, can ya?
Depends how much you're offering. And whether you want it clean or messy.