PDA

View Full Version : Best Beatles Album?

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I think the White Album is their best work by far, but I like Yellow Sub too just because no one else does.

Oh, and if you don't like the Beatles or think they're overrated; we've heard it before. Great.

mrsmaalox
11-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Here we go again :lol I love the earliest Beatles stuff because I like pure, raw rock n roll. My favorite album is "Beatles For Sale", but anything before about 1967 is cool. Now before Peewee starts calling me "insane", let me clarify that ALL the Beatles music is wonderful. I just prefer them "unadulterated"----before they had loads of money they couldn't afford alot of studio musicians, with synthesizers and special effects. Also the lack of modern technology kept it simple.

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Here we go again :lol I love the earliest Beatles stuff because I like pure, raw rock n roll. My favorite album is "Beatles For Sale", but anything before about 1967 is cool. Now before Peewee starts calling me "insane", let me clarify that ALL the Beatles music is wonderful. I just prefer them "unadulterated"----before they had loads of money they couldn't afford alot of studio musicians, with synthesizers and special effects. Also the lack of modern technology kept it simple.

I like the simple stuff, but the studios and the drugs and stuff allowed them to be more experimental, you know? I love Lennon's work during and after the Beatles.

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Here we go again :lol

lol how often is this thread made? :spin

BeerIsGood!
11-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Whatever album has "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" because that is head and shoulders above any other song they ever did IMO. Maybe Elenor Rigby comes close.

atxrocker
11-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Elenor Rigby will always be my fave beatles song.. though it's hard because i'm a huge fan. lotsa good stuff, grew up listening to them.

Slomo
11-08-2007, 04:58 AM
It would be hard for me to decide. I get fed up by the Beatles every so often just to re-discover them again a few months later. I also like the early stuff, but I have no problem listening too all their songs.

A few year's back I picked up this CD (http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=008811184124). It's an amusing twist on the Beatles' music. "Here comes the sun" is my favourite track from that CD.

Thunder Dan
11-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Revolver, Rubber Soul and Sgt. Peppers in that order

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 09:27 AM
The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul.

In that order.

They were the greatest musicians the world had ever seen, and have been unmatched thus far.

CuckingFunt
11-08-2007, 09:28 AM
"Revolver" and "Rubber Soul."

I've also always loved "Help," but I don't know that I'd call it one of their best.

baseline bum
11-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I've gotta say Abbey Road, since Here Comes the Sun might be the greatest rock song ever. For my #2, it's a toss-up between Help and Please Please Me. Still, I've never heard a Beatles album that wasn't a masterpiece.

whottt
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm going to say Abbey Road as well. I also think Here Comes the Sun is probably the best Beatles song(it's definitely in the top 5). I think George Harrison was every bit as good as Lennon and McCartney...especially post Beatles.

While my Guitar Gently Weeps was off the White Album BTW.

As for how great they were...after the Beatles broke up...all four members had songs and albums that hit #1 on the charts...yes even Ringo...he was actually the first to do it after they broke up. That's pretty amazing.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I think George Harrison was every bit as good as Lennon and McCartney...especially post Beatles.

I totally agree.

"My Sweet Lord" is a great song and showed that he was just as talented as Lennon and McCartney.

CuckingFunt
11-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I think Harrison was just as talented as Lennon, and I'd put them both a step ahead of McCartney.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Harrison was just as talented as Lennon, and I'd put them both a step ahead of McCartney.

I second that.

Mr. Peabody
11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Abbey Road -- "Come Together," "Something," "Here Comes the Sun," and the "You Never Give Me Your Money" medley at the end. I could listen to this album over and over without tiring of it.

Jimcs50
11-08-2007, 01:09 PM
1. Rubber Soul

2. Abbey Road

Spurminator
11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Another vote for Abbey Road here.

But the one I've listened to the most lately is Let it Be.

Fat Bones
11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
White album, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul do it for me.

KSYM has or had a pretty excellent Beatles show on Sunday mornings. The guy who does it plays a lot of rare stuff and it's pretty entertaining.

duncan228
11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Abbey Road, Let It Be, The White Album.

If it was that desert island thing those are the 3 Beatles albums I'd bring.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:08 PM
White album, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul do it for me.

KSYM has or had a pretty excellent Beatles show on Sunday mornings. The guy who does it plays a lot of rare stuff and it's pretty entertaining.

KSYM??

Jimcs50
11-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I chose Rubber Soul mainly because my favorite Beatles song is on that album.

In My Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0x3vTw6yc

Oh, Gee!!
11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
revolver

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I chose Rubber Soul mainly because my favorite Beatles song is on that album.

In My Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0x3vTw6yc

Damn good song.
That's my second favorite Lennon song.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Does anyone remember the Beatles cartoons???

I used to watch them when I was a kid.
They were re-runs, of course.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I love this song, but I never understood the significance of some of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOKvonLrH8

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Harrison kicking ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qpfGVUd8c

Jimcs50
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM

:lol

I do not think it was meant to be understood.

You need to go see Across the Universe, just to see Bono's rendition of this song in the movie, it is great.

Aother reason to like Rubber Soul, as well as Dear Prudence, which is another great Lennon song, which he wrote in 30 mins while in India about Mia Farrow's sister.

mrsmaalox
11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Does anyone remember the Beatles cartoons???

I used to watch them when I was a kid.
They were re-runs, of course.
Yea I saw those; the voices were really over the top! When I was like in 1st or 2nd grade, one of my friends' aunt had the Beatles action figures. We snuck them out to play once and this stupid kid next door threw the Ringo doll over a fence; I had to kick his ass!!

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
:lol

I do not think it was meant to be understood.

You need to go see Across the Universe, just to see Bono's rendition of this song in the movie, it is great.

Aother reason to like Rubber Soul, as well as Dear Prudence, which is another great Lennon song, which he wrote in 30 mins while in India about Mia Farrow's sister.

I really want to see that movie.

Dear Prudence was in the White Album, though.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Yea I saw those; the voices were really over the top! When I was like in 1st or 2nd grade, one of my friends' aunt had the Beatles action figures. We snuck them out to play once and this stupid kid next door threw the Ringo doll over a fence; I had to kick his ass!!

I hope you castrated him for that.

mrsmaalox
11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I hope you castrated him for that.
I did hurt him bad. But now I feel bad because that poor lady had saved those dolls for a long time, and we just used them to marry our Barbie's to!

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I did hurt him bad. But now I feel bad because that poor lady had saved those dolls for a long time, and we just used them to marry our Barbie's to!

Those things are probably worth a mint.

Jimcs50
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I really want to see that movie.

Dear Prudence was in the White Album, though.

Nope...Rubber Soul...look it up.

Spurminator
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Uh, Jim....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_(album)

Side one
"Back in the U.S.S.R." – 2:43
"Dear Prudence" – 3:56
"Glass Onion" – 2:17
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" – 3:08
"Wild Honey Pie" – 0:52
"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" – 3:13
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (George Harrison) – 4:45
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" – 2:43

Side two
"Martha My Dear" – 2:28
"I'm So Tired" – 2:03
"Blackbird" – 2:18
"Piggies" (Harrison) – 2:04
"Rocky Raccoon" – 3:32
"Don't Pass Me By" (Ringo Starr) – 3:50
"Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" – 1:40
"I Will" – 1:45
"Julia" – 2:54

Side three
"Birthday" – 2:42
"Yer Blues" – 4:00
"Mother Nature's Son" – 2:47
"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" – 2:24
"Sexy Sadie" – 3:15
"Helter Skelter" – 4:29
"Long, Long, Long" (Harrison) – 3:03

Side four
"Revolution 1" – 4:15
"Honey Pie" – 2:40
"Savoy Truffle" (Harrison) – 2:54
"Cry Baby Cry" – 3:02
"Revolution 9" – 8:13
"Good Night" – 3:11

I mean, come on, the song BEGINS with the airplane sound from "Back in the U.S.S.R"...

exstatic
11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Revolver
Abbey Road

Incidentally, if you're going to argue what track was on what album, you'd probably better specify US or UK release. The UK albums always had more/different tracks.

exstatic
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Billboard's Top 100 albums, all time, contains the following Beatles albums:

01 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
03 - The Beatles - Revolver
05 - The Beatles - Rubber Soul
10 - The Beatles - The White Album
14 - The Beatles - Abbey Road
39 - The Beatles - Please Please Me
59 - The Beatles - Meet The Beatles
86 - The Beatles - Let It Be

Also appearing:
22 - John Lennon -Plastic Ono Band
76 - John Lennon - Imagine

mavsfan1000
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
1.Revolver
2.White Album
3.Abbey Road
4.Rubber Soul
5.Sgt. Pepper

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Nope...Rubber Soul...look it up.

I have the White Album right here.

Dear Prudence is the second song on the first cd, right after Back in the USSR.

I don't know how else to prove it to you.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Spurminator beat me to it.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 09:25 PM
By the way, "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is the kind of song that makes me sad that we don't have songwriters like them anymore.

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 09:49 PM
By the way, "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is the kind of song that makes me sad that we don't have songwriters like them anymore.

Yeah, they just dont make masturbation references like they used to :p

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 10:03 PM

If you ascribe significance to any part of it, it's because you choose to, not because it's there.

The story, as I've read it in several places (the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_the_Walrus) entry on the song jives with what I've read elsewhere), goes that Lennon had threads of three songs that he was working on but couldn't finish. One was the little riff about pretty little policemen in a row -- that was Lennon intrigued with the cadence of a siren and trying to match it in music; one was the part about spending time in his garden (notice that there's a definite change in the song at that point -- very much like the middle of "A Day in the Life," which was also the combination of two incomplete songs); the third was about a corn flake. He couldn't make any of them work alone, so he started trying to put them together. Apparently, acid trips gave him the opening lyrics (" I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.") and the next line.

At some point during this process, Lennon learned that an English teacher at his grammar school was having students study Beatles lyrics for imagery and symbolism. Amused by that, Lennon came up with a verse that was full of absolute nothingness. That's the part that goes "yellow mother custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye."

He finished the track with some rips on Hare Krishna.

The irony in the end, is that Lennon used the Walrus as the character, lifting it from Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but learned after the song was released that the Walrus in that poem was actually the villian.

In the end, the stuff about Hare Krishna has a pretty self-evident meaning, but the rest of the song is basically a bunch of unconnected nonsense.

It's still a great song, though.

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, they just dont make masturbation references like they used to :p

that, or heroin.

exstatic
11-08-2007, 10:10 PM
By the way, "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is the kind of song that makes me sad that we don't have songwriters like Lennon anymore.
FIFY. It's been fairly publicly acknowledged that it was never Lennon and McCartney, but rather Lennon or McCartney. Paul even said that they had a conversation in the later years, and there was only one song they were unclear as to who wrote it. Maybe they really did collaborate on that one. :lol

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 10:14 PM
FIFY. It's been fairly publicly acknowledged that it was never Lennon and McCartney, but rather Lennon or McCartney. Paul even said that they had a conversation in the later years, and there was only one song they were unclear as to who wrote it. Maybe they really did collaborate on that one. :lol

I'm pretty sure they collaborated on "A Day in the Life." Lennon wrote the main portion of the song and McCartney wrote the change in the middle.

exstatic
11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure they collaborated on "A Day in the Life." Lennon wrote the main portion of the song and McCartney wrote the change in the middle.
Maybe that was the one song. :lol It was probably an exaggeration by Paul, but nonetheless, it wasn't the tight songwriting duo that was presented to their fans.

Duff McCartney
11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Incidentally, if you're going to argue what track was on what album, you'd probably better specify US or UK release. The UK albums always had more/different tracks.

Granted...but Dear Prudence and India happened almost 3 years after Rubber Soul came out....add to the fact that most people wouldn't have the US versions of the albums...unless they were vinyl. I think the UK versions have since been the only ones made on CD.

As for me...I think the most important album by The Beatles is probably Help...although I would probably consider White Album my favorite.

Help was a breakthrough I think...it's such a great album..and save for the last song on it...has some amazing stuff...Yesterday and Ticket To Ride are probably the stand out tracks on the album.

Duff McCartney
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
If you ascribe significance to any part of it, it's because you choose to, not because it's there.

The story, as I've read it in several places (the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_the_Walrus) entry on the song jives with what I've read elsewhere), goes that Lennon had threads of three songs that he was working on but couldn't finish. One was the little riff about pretty little policemen in a row -- that was Lennon intrigued with the cadence of a siren and trying to match it in music; one was the part about spending time in his garden (notice that there's a definite change in the song at that point -- very much like the middle of "A Day in the Life," which was also the combination of two incomplete songs); the third was about a corn flake. He couldn't make any of them work alone, so he started trying to put them together. Apparently, acid trips gave him the opening lyrics (" I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.") and the next line.

At some point during this process, Lennon learned that an English teacher at his grammar school was having students study Beatles lyrics for imagery and symbolism. Amused by that, Lennon came up with a verse that was full of absolute nothingness. That's the part that goes "yellow mother custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye."

The irony in the end, is that Lennon used the Walrus as the character, lifting it from Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but learned after the song was released that the Walrus in that poem was actually the villian.

In the end, the stuff about Hare Krishna has a pretty self-evident meaning, but the rest of the song is basically a bunch of unconnected nonsense.

From what I read on the Anthology book...Lennon just made the lyrics up and they mean nothing. I think he said he had a friend who was a teacher and he told them they had a class discussing The Beatles and so he wrote nonsense lyrics that they could read into.

BTW it's "yellow matter custard"...not "yellow mother.".... :spin

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:28 PM

I also read that they (Beatles) complained when they were criticized for the movie they made (which is where that video came from) because people just didn't "get it".

The Walrus and the Eggman were supposed to mean something. And the fact that they were dressed up in costumes was supposed to symbolize something. But, I read that so many years ago.

I don't remember what it was about all too well.

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 11:39 PM
BTW it's "yellow matter custard"...not "yellow mother.".... :spin

Good catch -- my bad.

The sone
11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
cave man staring starr! :)

The sone
11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
wait....what was the questions again?

Duff McCartney
11-09-2007, 12:49 AM
I also read that they (Beatles) complained when they were criticized for the movie they made (which is where that video came from) because people just didn't "get it".

The Walrus and the Eggman were supposed to mean something. And the fact that they were dressed up in costumes was supposed to symbolize something. But, I read that so many years ago.

I don't remember what it was about all too well.

Yeah Magical Mystery Tour..and it's an interesting movie. A drug trippy movie...but the problem that everyone said, at least The Beatles, was that it was a color film with brilliant colors and scenery and everything and it was shown on the BBC in black and white. Which is probably why people didn't get it either.

Who cares really? Alot of people bashed them for it but The Beatles got the last laugh.

Jimcs50
11-09-2007, 08:50 AM
My bad....I stand corrected. :oops

Fat Bones
11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
KSYM??

Yeah...this is from their website....

9am Best of the Beatles A D U L T
10am with Richard Turner A B L U M
11am Best of the Beatles A L T.

peewee's lovechild
11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah...this is from their website....

9am Best of the Beatles A D U L T
10am with Richard Turner A B L U M
11am Best of the Beatles A L T.

Okay, but what is KSYM??

I'm still relatively new to San Antonio.

Fat Bones
11-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow.

Are you trolling me????

google would have answered it quickly, but in the sense of good neighborlinessismication...:

90.1 on your local San Antonio FM dial (mainly inside Loop 410), webcast (mms://sacrtf2.accd.edu/wmtencoder/ksym.wav) available from their website. Sometimes, they are the best radio station on the planet. Sometimes.

Enjoy.

Fillmoe
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
abbey road

Ronaldo McDonald
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
the first time i listined to the white album i thougt, 'this is their best".

and i still think it is but peppers and abbey road are tied for a close second. revolver is third

mavsfan1000
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I like Sgt Pepper the most. I like that Rock Opera effect/psychedelic stuff they made. Revolver is also really good. Everything the Beatles did was great though. Depending on my mood, I prefer a different album.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2009, 05:41 AM
White Album