PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Defender would you define Dirk Nowitzki at right now?

21GoSpursGo9
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
How good of a defender is Dirk and what proves why he is or isnt a good defender? I would like to know some examples of situations etc etc

Shank
11-08-2007, 06:30 PM
It's not his forte.

Chicks dig the 3-ball anyway.

LEONARD
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
avg...

He gets ZERO credit for what defense he does play...

He's not _irk like he used to be, but he's certainly not great at it either...

ludda
11-08-2007, 06:35 PM
made considerable improvement from before...but thats not saying much either

JamStone
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Slightly above average. He's not elite, nor will he ever be. But, he does make efforts, and for his size he does have quickness and athleticism to defend adequately on a good percentage of players. Against elite players, he's toast, but so are most players. And, he's always been a very good defensive rebounder, which a big part of defense.

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I think there are things that Dirk does well. He's become a good rebounder and he occasionally blocks shots, both of which make him more useful defensively, as a 7 footer. I still think that Dirk fails to move his feet very well as a defender and, consequently, is frequently left to do little more than flail at the ball (playing defense with his arms and not his feet). He's developed a bit of a knack for getting the ball (or for at least not getting called when he doesn't). To the extent that doing so keeps his opponent from scoring, he's effective.

RonMexico
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I think there are things that Dirk does well. He's become a good rebounder and he occasionally blocks shots, both of which make him more useful defensively, as a 7 footer. I still think that Dirk fails to move his feet very well as a defender and, consequently, is frequently left to do little more than flail at the ball (playing defense with his arms and not his feet). He's developed a bit of a knack for getting the ball (or for at least not getting called when he doesn't). To the extent that doing so keeps his opponent from scoring, he's effective.

He receives a little bit of superstar treatment on the defensive end making up for his lack of skill and what I construe to be apathy.

dirk4mvp
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM
He receives a little bit of superstar treatment on the defensive end making up for his lack of skill and what I construe to be apathy.

Chime in with a genius insight again when Nash attempts to play D.

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM

I think that's kind of what I was hinting at. Again, I think the word that I would use to describe Dirk is, in essence, "effective" -- or at least "effective enough." I do think that he can be exploited by creative post scorers or big guys who can put it on the floor on the offensive end and for as long as that's true (and I don't think it's changing) he'll never be much more than effective enough.

Vinnie_Johnson
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/pictures/matador.jpg

I am at a loss for words.

RonMexico
11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Chime in with a genius insight again when Nash attempts to play D.

I probably will on the day when Nash's lack of defensive skill causes his team to drop 4 straight to Miami and bow out in the first round of the playoffs in the subsequent year.

Oh wait - that wasn't just Dirk's poor defense, but rather an entire meltdown under pressure and general dearth of leadership ability.

mavsfan1000
11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Dirk is good with his height but he can't guard players that are faster than him.

RonMexico
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I think that's kind of what I was hinting at. Again, I think the word that I would use to describe Dirk is, in essence, "effective" -- or at least "effective enough." I do think that he can be exploited by creative post scorers or big guys who can put it on the floor on the offensive end and for as long as that's true (and I don't think it's changing) he'll never be much more than effective enough.

You pretty much did. I just wanted to make sure that we all made it clear that he plays the Karl Malone "slap-defense" and rarely picks up a foul, but somehow fouls out Tim Duncan by rolling his ankle.

dirk4mvp
11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I'd much rather try to play D than no D at all.....like Nash. But of course you just like to beat around the bush and flip whatever we're talking about over.

K-State Spur
11-09-2007, 12:19 AM
better than he was, but still a liability.

one of the reasons that the Mavs match up better with SAS than with GSW. They can 'hide' Dirk on Bowen, but GSW will go long stretches where they have 5 guys who can score on the floor.

RonMexico
11-09-2007, 02:31 AM
I'd much rather try to play D than no D at all.....like Nash. But of course you just like to beat around the bush and flip whatever we're talking about over.

Actually, I'm not. I remember this thread being about Dirk and you brought Nash into it. His defensive ability has absolutely nothing to do with the weak overall defender Dirk Nowitzki is.

naico
11-09-2007, 03:52 AM
He's not.

Reggie Miller
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I would second (third? fourth?) the obsevation that Dirk doesn't move his feet well. Also, the closer he gets to the basket, the less comfortable he becomes. You have to anticipate, rather than react, in the paint, and he is still reacting most of the time.

I would also agree that very few players are capable of guarding the best bigs.

stretch
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
I probably will on the day when Nash's lack of defensive skill causes his team to drop 4 straight to Miami and bow out in the first round of the playoffs in the subsequent year.

Oh wait - that wasn't just Dirk's poor defense, but rather an entire meltdown under pressure and general dearth of leadership ability.
All this happening after bitch-slapping the Suns for 50.

Oh, Gee!!
11-09-2007, 01:03 PM
below average to average at best.

SpursIndonesia
11-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Average at some situations, under average on the rest of the situations. Depends on the circumstances, the team, and the opponent player that he's assigned upon.

LakeShow
11-09-2007, 05:51 PM
^ Soft And Weak!

RonMexico
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
All this happening after bitch-slapping the Suns for 50.

One game... one win vs. 4 straight losses.

D-Wade wins.