PDA

View Full Version : All right, how about best Beatle?

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 09:08 PM
John ftw!

duncan228
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
John without a doubt.
The four were magic together but Lennon was the soul.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 09:29 PM
John Lennon was the soul of that group.

His lyrics were unparalleled, and they continue to be so.

Kyle Smith
11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Completely agree.

Xolotl
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
For me it's Paul because he wrote 3 of my favorite songs, Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, and Maybe I'm Amazed (even though that was post Beatles). Hell I gotta also add in Let It Be and Live and Let Die. But, John deserves credit too he was a genius.

CuckingFunt
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
John, George, Paul, and Ringo. In that order.

exstatic
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
John, and to some extent George, were the only Beatles to have critical success after the breakup, although they all sold a shitload of records.

John was a thinker and a writer, and Paul was really a Pop singer.

Twisted_Dawg
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
In a Playboy interview about a month before John was murdered, he and the interviewer went over many Beatle songs and it shocked me how many songs John gave credit to Paul for writing many of them.

http://www.john-lennon.com/playboyinterviewwithjohnlennonandyokoono.htm

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2007, 10:31 PM

John Lennon was perhaps the greatest lyricist to ever live; but Paul McCartney wrote some amazingly poignant lyrics as well -- I'm not sure it's completely fair to label him just a pop singer. To be sure, George Harrison had his own greatness as a writer as well. I tend to think that Lennon's presence made the Beatles, but also tends to diminish McCartney and Harrison in historical terms.

Of course, the aggregation of those three guys in a single band explains why nobody will ever again be like the Beatles.

CuckingFunt
11-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I never thought that Paul was the brains of the operation, but became especially annoyed with him when he wanted to switch the writing credits on a bunch of songs to put his name first. If it were a true partnership amongst friends, it shouldn't matter.

Duff McCartney
11-08-2007, 10:34 PM
I never thought that Paul was the brains of the operation, but became especially annoyed with him when he wanted to switch the writing credits on a bunch of songs to put his name first. If it were a true partnership amongst friends, it shouldn't matter.

I agree with that...Paul is an amazing talent...but for whatever reason it seems more and more he wants to put himself and give himself more credit for The Beatles than anyone else gave him.

It seems even more hard for people to speak out considering John and George are dead and they can't rebuke him.

exstatic
11-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Of course, the aggregation of those three guys in a single band explains why nobody will ever again be like the Beatles.
I agree one hundred percent, and this is definitely a textbook example of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

There is a reason that you add salt to chocolate chip cookies: it pulls against the sugar. John was the salt, and Paul the sugar in a complex band and relationship.

Kori Ellis
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
All I know is that you guys are lucky I'm in a good mood. :lol
I hate the Beatles and I'm allowing TWO Beatles threads in the Club at once! :dramaquee

exstatic
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Thank you, Kori. :)

Xolotl
11-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I hate the Beatles and I'm allowing TWO Beatles threads in the Club at once! :dramaquee

Wow I've never heard anybody say they hate the Beatles....lol

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:20 PM

You obviously know nothing about music.

I am disappointed in you.

Kori Ellis
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow I've never heard anybody say they hate the Beatles....lol

I hate Elvis too. :dramaquee

duncan228
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Your patience never ceases to amaze me.

Two Beatles threads, plus all the bs arguing going on in both basketball forums. And the season is only a week old. :lol

You've got the patience of a Saint.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:29 PM

God's gonna kill you.

You speak blasphemy.

I don't even know you anymore.

Xolotl
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM

are you one of those people that hates everything that other people like and like to hate the stuff so people argue with you about it lol

Kori Ellis
11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
are you one of those people that hates everything that other people like and like to hate the stuff so people argue with you about it lol

:lol No, I don't think I've ever argued about Elvis or the Beatles in my life. I just don't like the music.

peewee's lovechild
11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
:lol No, I don't think I've ever argued about Elvis or the Beatles in my life. I just don't like the music.

I hope timvp doesn't share the same sentiment.

I fear for the future of your children.

mrsmaalox
11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I vote John; but I actually liked him most post-Beatles than during.

ShoogarBear
11-09-2007, 01:44 AM
http://www.tegneserieguiden.net/usa/billy/billy8.gif

(That's for you, Kori.)

Kyle Smith
11-09-2007, 01:47 AM
John, and to some extent George, were the only Beatles to have critical success after the breakup, although they all sold a shitload of records.

I agree with Paul being more poppy

Kyle Smith
11-09-2007, 01:49 AM
I agree with that...Paul is an amazing talent...but for whatever reason it seems more and more he wants to put himself and give himself more credit for The Beatles than anyone else gave him.

It seems even more hard for people to speak out considering John and George are dead and they can't rebuke him.

Lol if you were in one of the greatest bands ever, you'd have an ego too

Kyle Smith
11-09-2007, 02:07 AM
lol thank you for your patience, Kori, but I'm having a hard time believing anyone can truly dislike the Beatles for a reason that isn't simply to be a rebel.

Elvis I understand, but the Beatles wrote such a variety of different music that it's like impossible not to at least appreciate some of it. They revolutionized so much it's (in peewee's words) blasphemy not to like at least some of their stuff.

Kyle Smith
11-09-2007, 02:07 AM
lol who voted for ringo? :P

MaNuMaNiAc
11-09-2007, 05:28 AM
lol who voted for ringo? :Pyou can check

Jimcs50
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Kori also hates Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I think awhile back I would have been on the Lennon bandwagon but the more I listen to Harrison the more I think he's the best.

peewee's lovechild
11-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Kori also hates Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

She killed the Tooth Fairy, too.

I saw her do it.

She scared me.

whottt
11-09-2007, 10:25 AM

I disagree...Ringo recieved rave reviews for Caveman.