PDA

View Full Version : Interesting statistics!

Gummi
12-23-2004, 10:43 AM
In the wake of this latest loss, I along with most of you are very disappointed in our free throw shooting. Why canīt our guys make these damn free throws?

I decided to check some players that have played for us and moved on and some players that are currently playing for the Spurs. I found out that players that sign for the Spurs, almost all of them decrease their free throw percentage. Here are some examples.

Kevin Willis = Career % (71.4%), with the Spurs (61.4%, two seasons), this season with Atlanta (86.7%) = more then 25% increase.

Hedo Turkoglu = Career % (75.3%), with the Spurs (70.8%, one season), this season with Orlando (84.5%) = almost 14% increase.

Speedy Claxton = Career % (80.0%), with the Spurs (68.4%, one season), this season with Golden State (79.0%) = just over 10% increase.

Robert Horry = Career % (73.3%), with the Spurs (66.6%, two seasons), almost 7% decrease since joining the Spurs.

Rasho Nesterovic = Career % (54.7%, with the Spurs (46.2%, two seasons), last season with Minny (64.2%) that's almost 20% decrease since joining the Spurs.

These stats are pretty interesting. Why do players suck shooting free throws when they play for us? Very few recent players have increased their percentage, Bowen, is the only I could find and also Ferry that one season when he shot 90%.

If only Parker and Duncan could shoot 75% we would be almost unstopable since they take most of our free throws along with Manu but he's pretty good at the line.

I hate to see us loose games because we can't make free throws. That should be easy. I'm sure last season that we would've won at least 3 more games if Duncan wouldn't stink it up on the line like he did. Free throws can easilly make or brake a game and ultimatly could brake a season if we continue shooting like we do. If the Spurs can't make their free throws they have to play very good defense all the time and that's tough in a 82 game season.

CHAMPS AGAIN
12-23-2004, 10:51 AM
With some players they were playing more so their % go up players playing lest % goes down,depends who is playing more minutes,and for what team. In SPEEDY case he was hurt for half a seasond.

Gummi
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I know more minutes will get more often to the line, but still, you should be able to make free throws playing 10 min a night as well as 25 min a night.

In Hedo's case he's playing the same amount of minutes with Orlando and he's shooting much better.

Speedy was injured a lot last season as well but he still made 81% of his free throws but then again he played more minutes.

Jimcs50
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I think they are affraid to show TD up, personally.

GoSpurs21
12-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Its just the curse of the Spurs. The price we all pay for a successful basketball team. It seems that once one person misses all the other players get in on the fun. It also seems like the players dont take the oppertunity seriously.