PDA

View Full Version : Who'da thunk it?

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Trade Gap Narrowed in September (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071109/economy.html?.v=5)

Falling Dollar Spurs Foreigners to Buy American, Pushing Exports to Record Level

Every cloud has a silver lining.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Trade Gap Narrowed in September (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071109/economy.html?.v=5)

Falling Dollar Spurs Foreigners to Buy American, Pushing Exports to Record Level

Every cloud has a silver lining.

That exactly, sounding like dan, what WC and I said
would happen. It happens every time. A cheap currency
makes little difference to people inside a nation. It
only affects import/export cost. Wal-Mart may go up
on their Chinese made products, which I doubt, since
China will just rig their currency so that it will not affect
their exports. But a loaf of bread or gallon of milk
produced locally will be affected very little. The doom
sayers say oil cost will put us into an inflation mode but
we will see. Wall street flinches everytime someone
belches and the futures market is affecting oil more than
anything. There is plenty of oil out there so the experts
say, so those playing the market may get burned pretty
badly, as they have in the past.

101A
11-09-2007, 09:59 AM
That exactly, sounding like dan, what WC and I said
would happen. It happens every time. A cheap currency
makes little difference to people inside a nation. It
only affects import/export cost. Wal-Mart may go up
on their Chinese made products, which I doubt, since
China will just rig their currency so that it will not affect
their exports. But a loaf of bread or gallon of milk
produced locally will be affected very little. The doom
sayers say oil cost will put us into an inflation mode but
we will see. Wall street flinches everytime someone
belches and the futures market is affecting oil more than
anything. There is plenty of oil out there so the experts
say, so those playing the market may get burned pretty
badly, as they have in the past.China's currency is TIED to the dollar, as ours go, so goes theirs! They know where there bread is buttered.

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
China's currency is TIED to the dollar, as ours go, so goes theirs! They know where there bread is buttered.
Yep, they're heavily invested.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2007, 10:42 AM
So the plummeting value of the dollar is a good thing. Just like rising temperatures are a good thing because colder climates are now more temperate. Got it.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 10:44 AM
China's currency is TIED to the dollar, as ours go, so goes theirs! They know where there bread is buttered.

China's currency is tied to what their government says.
It is way undervalued.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
So the plummeting value of the dollar is a good thing. Just like rising temperatures are a good thing because colder climates are now more temperate. Got it.

Another oneliner that shows how much you know.
:rolleyes

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 10:53 AM
So the plummeting value of the dollar is a good thing.
Could be.

Just like rising temperatures are a good thing because colder climates are now more temperate.
Okay, my belief that global warming isn't occurring aside, let me ask you this. What is the optimal temperature for our planet?

Got it.
Nah, I really don't think you do.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Could be.

Could be if you only look at half the story. While the demand for US exports may increase due to the now-lower costs of our goods, the costs of imports to the US will be higher. Also, if the dollar continues to fall, the countries that currently put their money in US investments, and assist in supporting our economy, may be less willing to do.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Another oneliner that shows how much you know.
:rolleyes

xray, you're such a twerp. You'll swallow anything Rush or Hannity feed to you. Quit listening to OAI all day and maybe you'll be less cantankerous.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Could be if you only look at half the story. While the demand for US exports may increase due to the now-lower costs of our goods, the costs of imports to the US will be higher. Also, if the dollar continues to fall, the countries that currently put their money in US investments, and assist in supporting our economy, may be less willing to do.

Dollars will eventually come back to the U.S. Just like
people invest in all countries. We, the US, has one
advantage over many countries. We are probably one
of the most stable countries in the world. People with
money are not prone to investing in unstable countries.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
xray, you're such a twerp. You'll swallow anything Rush or Hannity feed to you. Quit listening to OAI all day and maybe you'll be less cantankerous.

You prove my point again. You have no idea of what
you speak.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
You prove my point again. You have no idea of what
you speak.

Maybe not. I just saw you call someone else a "twerp" in another thread and I thought it was funny.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Dollars will eventually come back to the U.S. Just like
people invest in all countries. We, the US, has one
advantage over many countries. We are probably one
of the most stable countries in the world. People with
money are not prone to investing in unstable countries.

They are prone to investing in the dollar because the dollar is a stable currency. If the value keeps falling, maybe it is no longer as attractive as it once was.

xrayzebra
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Aren't you one the folks who talk about Yoni stealing?

But thanks for the compliment.

I got to make an appoint, I will be back and play with you
folks later. Have a good day......

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Could be if you only look at half the story. While the demand for US exports may increase due to the now-lower costs of our goods, the costs of imports to the US will be higher.
Which could increase domestic production of those goods.

Also, if the dollar continues to fall, the countries that currently put their money in US investments, and assist in supporting our economy, may be less willing to do.
Then, they'll have to sell what they have to somebody. That's cool with me.

This is only a problem if potential investors believe the United States is going to collapse. In the end, if that doesn't happen, and we rebound (which I suspect we eventually will) -- whoever holds U.S. Currency stands to make a killing.

If we don't rebound and we collapse...well, it's over. The grand experiment fails and we're not going to even be interested in discussing it on a Spurstalk Forum, are we?

101A
11-09-2007, 11:18 AM
China's currency is tied to what their government says.
It is way undervalued.What, Ray, jabbing with the liberals on the board leaving you unfulfilled?

O.K. China's government policy is currrently to tie their currency's value directly to that of the dollar.

Semantic bitch.

clambake
11-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Which could increase domestic production of those goods.
increased exports will only give it a slight lift. the value is still falling and will likely deepen the recession. i think this could be a very serious time.

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 11:42 AM
increased exports will only give it a slight lift. the value is still falling and will likely deepen the recession. i think this could be a very serious time.
Could be. What doesn't kill us will make us stronger.

clambake
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Could be. What doesn't kill us will make us stronger.
unless it kills us. i understand what you're saying and i share your optimism, but the dollar has never been this leveraged before. its not just "in our hands".

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
unless it kills us. i understand what you're saying and i share your optimism, but the dollar has never been this leveraged before. its not just "in our hands".
Then pray.

Let me add this. The free world would be ill-served if the United States suffers an economic meltdown. If nothing else, I can imagine a scenario where there is some tectonic shift that just clears the playing board and starts over. Because, in the end, it isn't really about money. It's about world power.

clambake
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Then pray.
we should have planned, as a nation. praying is fools gold. now we have a vig.

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
we should have planned, as a nation. praying is fools gold. now we have a vig.
Whatever. Maybe you should make an escape plan. Some are.

clambake
11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Whatever. Maybe you should make an escape plan. Some are.
it's not me i'm worried about.

Yonivore
11-09-2007, 12:05 PM
it's not me i'm worried about.
Okay then. Be prepared to help someone out that you are worried about. That's what makes America great.

Nbadan
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Yoni is assuming increased productivity will lead to increased wages....(at least enough to keep up with real inflation, not the government deflated numbers)...

Real median household income in the United States rose by 1.1 percent between 2004 and 2005, reaching $46,326, according to a report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. Meanwhile, the nation’s official poverty rate remained statistically unchanged at 12.6 percent. The percentage of people without health insurance coverage rose from 15.6 percent to 15.9 percent (46.6 million people).

Census (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archiv)

And that total includes billions of news dollars given to Corporate CEOs...The chief executives of America's 500 biggest companies got a collective 38% pay raise last year, to $7.5 billion. That's an average $15.2 million apiece. Exercised stock options again account for the main component of pay, 48%. The average stock gain was $7.3 million.

These guys are robber-barons robbing the people and their workers blind with no sense of remorse....