PDA

View Full Version : Top Coaches?

sickdsm
12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
If you were starting a team and could have any coach, current or without a job. What would the top ones be? I'm not really sold on Phil but i'd think my top three would be

Pop
Larry Brown
JVG
Phil

After that its a wide gap.

McMillian
Skiles
Mitchell
Eric Mussleman
Bird

Jimcs50
12-23-2004, 01:26 PM
JVG??????

You have to be freaking nuts.

Jimcs50
12-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Scott Skiles after Pop.

He is coaching his ASS off in Chicago.

I never would have thought anyone could make that team a winner.

kudos to Mr Assist record holder.

airjer15
12-23-2004, 01:29 PM
what, were is Sloan? I hope you just made an honest mistake, other wise your nuts.

BigVee
12-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Not sold on Phil? How many titles does he have to win? I don't like the guy, but he has been pretty damn successful.

airjer15
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Not sold on Phil? How many titles does he have to win? I don't like the guy, but he has been pretty damn successful.
I have never coached in my life (unless you count my little sisters 4th grade basketball team) but give me Jordan&Pippin or Shaq&Kobe (pre drama) and I could have a good career too.

BigVee
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I have never coached in my life (unless you count my little sisters 4th grade basketball team) but give me Jordan&Pippin or Shaq&Kobe (pre drama) and I could have a good career too.

Oh really?

Ask Kurt Rambis, Del Harris, Doug Collins, etc about that.

pjjrfan
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Sloan and Pop. In any order, they are both no-nonsense guys who stick to the program in my mind treat everyone fair and square. There are no hidden agendas with these two guys, every player on their teams knows exactly where they stand. We the fans may not, but these two guys let their guys know what they expect and demand it. It's a damn shame that Sloan has never won a title. Sometimes even great coaches don't get to enjoy such a moment.

Jimcs50
12-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Oh really?

Doug only had Pippen for 2 yrs and that was before he really started to shine.

Drachen
12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I'll agree with airjer, Sloan is a great coach. I would have to add Riley, and I think the reason that Phil doesnt get as much credit as others believe he should is that he never even tried to develop new young players. He started coaching teams that had all-time greats on them. Now I have to say that he did exceptionally well, maybe even the best in history in that facet of coaching, but best all around? Not too sure on that.

Manu20
12-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Pop and Sloan are the best coaches in the NBA.
Also, Stan Van Gundy he did a great job last year and he is doing a good job this year too.

ducks
12-23-2004, 03:25 PM
bob hill :lol

ALVAREZ6
12-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I think Larry Brown is a better coach than Pop.

angel_luv
12-23-2004, 07:50 PM
I thought Terry Porter did well with his team last year.

Coach Pop is my number one pick, even if he does bring in... you know who. Pop is the only coach I could ever find it in my heart to forgive for that too.

sickdsm
12-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah i definatly forgot Sloan. The whole point of this post is i take a lot of heat in the wolves community for hating flip. I'm basically trying to figure out coaches i'd rather have. Phil i can't really be sold on for the fact about his players he's had. Don't get me wrong, he's a great phsychiatrist if you need one. JVG i like bc of his commitment to defense. I'm not really sold on Caslise either, i guess though that when you have to deal with artest that's not really fair.

Phenomanul
12-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Oh really?

Who we should really mention is Tex Winters..... after all it was his Triangle offense that allowed Phil to shine with teams of two-stars plus role players...

Phenomanul
12-23-2004, 11:39 PM
What I will concede about Phil, is that he was a good "person manager" allowing such great egos to coexist...when this ability dwindled in his final year so did his ability to win championships....

2pac
12-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Best former Spurs players to coach?

Porter
Dunlevy
Lucas
Rivers
Avery

Who else am I forgetting?

T Park
12-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Doug only had Pippen for 2 yrs and that was before he really started to shine

Dont forget Horace Grant, BJ Armstrong,Ron Harper.

A bunch of key guys that Phillip got to have that Doug didnt.

But in fairness, Phil Jackson is better than Doug Collins.

Top 5 coaches.

1. Larry Brown
2. Pop
3. Eric Musselman
4. Johnny Davis
5. Jerry Sloan

Phenomanul
12-23-2004, 11:53 PM

Porter
Dunlevy
Lucas
Rivers
Avery

Mike D'Antoni

50 cent
12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
There is no way JVG should be considered a good coach. In fact, I would say he is probably one of the 2 or 3 worst in the league.

adidas11
12-24-2004, 01:21 PM
I'd go with Jerry Sloan. That guy is one damn good coach.

Phil is probably one of the top 3 or 4 greatest coaches of all time. Winning titles with 3 different teams, successful on two different levels of basketball.

Solid D
12-24-2004, 02:07 PM

Porter
Dunlevy
Lucas
Rivers
Avery

Allan Bristow coached for 5 seasons with the Charlotte Hornets. 207 - 203 Career Record. He's in the front office for N.O. now (G.M.).

Solid D
12-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Stan Van Gundy has become an excellent coach.

Pop is certainly a Top 5 active.

ducks
12-24-2004, 04:22 PM
pop,sloan,phil and some others are better then larry brown

adidas11
12-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Agreed. Larry Brown is a little overrated.

Drachen
12-25-2004, 12:45 AM
I'd go with Jerry Sloan. That guy is one damn good coach.

Phil is probably one of the top 3 or 4 greatest coaches of all time. Winning titles with 3 different teams, successful on two different levels of basketball.

3 different teams??

Rummpd
12-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Brown??? On anyone list = most over-rated coach in history and a jerk. Found a way to screw up the Olympics even more by not playing the talent he had. Plus, he is holding up the development of potential talent in Detroit for Derek Coleman??? Was a disaster for Spurs - check it out BOB HILL HAD BETTER RECORD UNTIL DR GOT HURT. Good ridance the peripatic Brown!!!

Jackson ditto but at least he is amusing in a way and 9 titles is 9 titles.

Sloan
Pop
Hubie Brown with a new heart.

Most likely to destroy a team with a chance = Fratello, George Karl, Nellie, and Houston's Van Gundy. One on the horizon. In a few years I hope _allas gives Johnson his chance to really screw them up.

I like the "Wolfman" above abhor Saunders = who got a pass for horrible coaching a number of years.

By the way is this guy, Saunders, finally aging or what - his toupe must be corroding or something!!!

MadDoc

adidas11
12-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Quote: "3 different teams??"

Yes, 3 different teams. Two in the NBA, and one in the CBA.