View Full Version : Ice, Ice, baby : the official 2007-2008 NHL season thread
lefty
11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Go Habs Go!
Ok let's start this :hungry:
Stars are canning everyone they can get their hands on. Armstrong was let go yesterday (and Brett Hull is being given a chance as GM) and now team prez Jim Lites was 'reassigned'. Worst part, instead of picking a hockey-knowledgeable Canuck in a suit or something, Hicks put that d-bag Jeff Cogen from the Rangers in charge.
Under Lites, the Stars have made the playoffs the last four seasons and something like seven out of eight years since the Cup win. Cogen is never done much in his three years as Rangers prez, finishing under .500 every season.
Color me excited.
Duncan21
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
i think its obvious edmonton oilers will win this easily.
DarkReign
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Wings lose 2 in a row. Ottawa still raping the league without their #1 centerman. Must be nice to play in the East, thats all I have to say.
Carolina looks to be a real contender this year. Rod Brindamour is ageless. Racking up points at 38...amazing.
Habs with the #1 powerplay, sans Souray. Thats a surprise. Huet looks back in form. If Ryder wakes-the-fuck-up some time this year, this team could be dangerous.
San Jose failing to meet expectations...again, and again, and again....
What do two $7 million dollar, off-season aquisitions get you? A near 0.500 record and the lowest scoring offense in the NHL. Rangers....HA!
Chicago's kids are fucking awesome to watch. Jonathon Toews (prounced "Taves") and Patrick Kane are spectacular. Robert Lang has actully propelled this team. Very dangerous. If Khabibulin becomes his former self, this team is playoff bound.
Anaheim...fucking Anaheim...I cant even spell the damn thing right. I always have to go back and put the "e" before the "i". The organization has found a loophole in the CBA and are already exploiting it 3 seasons in. Scott Neidermeyer no less. "I have called this press conference today to inform the organization, my fans and the NHL that........I have not made a decision yet....thank you." Anti-climatic doesnt seem to properly describe what that whole mess really is. Heres the deal....Anahiem is up against the cap. Even if Scott did want to come back, Anahiem couldnt keep him without trading away big salary. What do you do? Trade the injured Bertuzzi (never happen) or trade Schneider (your offseason Scott-replacement? never happen)?
No, you colude the system and have your star player who was obviously injured in last years playoffs, take the first 2/3 of the season off while under suspension, allowing his salary to not count against the cap, bring him back in the fold to much fanfare just before the trade deadline, thereby exponentially increasing your chances in the playoffs.
Sounds great in practice and theory, but when your team couldnt score a goal with a 5 on 1 and an empty net, playoff hopes 2/3 of the season thru might not be realistic. I hope they fucking bomb.
lefty
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Ryder has been demoted to the 3rd line
By the way, the Habs top line is actually the 2nd , not the 1st : Kostytin, Plekanec (much better than Koivu in my opinion) and Kovalev have done a fantastic job; another good surprise is the defense: much, much better; and the goaltending duo is just amazing
Rip-Hamilton32
11-15-2007, 08:16 PM
mccabe gave you guys the OT win the other day, i used to watch all of the leaf games but hockey isn't what it used to be to me
lefty
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
mccabe gave you guys the OT win the other day, i used to watch all of the leaf games but hockey isn't what it used to be to me
Yeah, McCabe made a huge mistake; but watching Komisarek scoring a finesse goal was priceless.
But if you miss Patrick Roy, you're gonna love Carey Price
samikeyp
11-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Red Wings look good overall...so far.
Rip-Hamilton32
11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, McCabe made a huge mistake; but watching Komisarek scoring a finesse goal was priceless.
But if you miss Patrick Roy, you're gonna love Carey Price
hes no roy lol sure hes gonna be a really good goalie but its still way to early to say that, but one thing the leafs need badly is a goalie this raycroft/toskala thing is not working
DarkReign
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Datsyuk had a SICK,SICK goal yesterday (2 actually in the same game).
(cant find them on youtube, so here's ESPN's highlights of the game)
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3130878&categoryId=2459791&n8pe6c=1
DarkReign
11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
ESPN highlights suck, btw. And most Americans have a terrible time at streaming TSN, so I dont link it.
Rip-Hamilton32
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Datsyuk is an awesome player, great offensive player and never goes to the box
DarkReign
11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Im braggin...spent a lot of time on it
Check the sig
Rip-Hamilton32
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
nice, most would have count det out after losing there vets and hall of famers but zetterberg and datsyuk are killin it and so is osgood (it is osgood isn't it?) lol
Rip-Hamilton32
11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
but the thing i want to know is why the hell are they in the west lol?
DarkReign
11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
but the thing i want to know is why the hell are they in the west lol?
Buttman was on sports radio last year and already said that the Wings will be moving to the East ASAP (3-5 years).
Rip-Hamilton32
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Buttman was on sports radio last year and already said that the Wings will be moving to the East ASAP (3-5 years).
thats good for wing fans but then the leafs have another good team to worry about
lefty
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Datsyuk + Zetterberg : WOW
Can't believe Detroit didn't win the Cup last season
lefty
12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Nice stuff
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=amber_david&id=3134876
The highs and lows, best and worst from Williamson's hockey odyssey
By David Amber
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: November 30, 2007, 4:35 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Thirty NHL games, 30 consecutive nights, 30 cities.
Sound impossible? Well, one rabid hockey fan did just that.
Steve Williamson lived out his NHL dream and shares the highlights of his travels from coast to coast and back again in this edition of "Facing Off."
Question from David Amber: Before we get to your amazing trip, give us some background. Who is Steve Williamson, the hockey fan?
Answer from Steve Williamson: I grew up in England. I used to go watch the Wembley Lions hockey team, one of just a handful of pro hockey teams left in England. In 1973, I moved to the United States, just outside New York City. I became a huge Rangers fan, those teams with Ron Greschner, Rod Gilbert and Carol Vadnais.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1130/nhl_g_habsfan_200.jpg
Williamson said the Canadiens fans in Montreal were the best by far.
Q: So, even before this NHL arena journey, you had been to a lot of games.
A: I have been to hundreds of NHL games. Mostly Rangers games when I was younger. Since 1992, I have been a season-ticket holder with the Lightning. Before this trip, I had probably been to about six or seven different NHL arenas.
Q: How did you put your schedule together to do 30 games in 30 nights?
A: When the NHL schedule came out in July, I started to figure things out. I knew I wanted to do the trip early in the season so that the weather wasn't an issue. On some days, there were only two games scheduled; one Sunday, there were only games in Colorado and Chicago, so those were the games I penciled in first. Then, I worked around those dates as best I could. I tried to do what made most sense, like scheduling the Devils, Rangers and Islanders in a four-night period. But I did have to cross the border into Canada four times during the trip. Luckily, all my plane rides went really smoothly. I had one delay from Florida to Ottawa. I thought I might miss my connection and miss the game. Luckily, when I told the flight attendant about my trip, she let me be first one off the plane so that I made my connection.
Q: So give us the stats. How many plane rides did you take? How many miles did you travel?
A: I just calculated that I traveled 30,530 miles, including three trips across the country. I took 35 flights total, a few train rides, used a lot of rental cars and took one bus in Vancouver from the airport to the arena.
Q: How much did this journey cost you?
A: It cost about $7,000 total. About $1,000 I spent on food. I saved a lot of money on tickets. I was lucky that some fans took me to some games and some teams gave me tickets when they heard what I was doing. Also, I booked a lot of plane tickets through Internet deals. I used some points for hotel rooms and used frequent-flyer miles on some flights. So, I saved money along the way.
Q: So which was the best arena?
A: The nicest physical arena was the American Airlines Arena in Dallas. I was surprised to see people dressed up for the game. It had sort of a swanky feel to it. The arena was beautiful, kind of like a hotel lobby with the way it was shaped. It was rectangular, not oval, and the sightlines were amazing.
As far as atmosphere, Montreal was the best, without a doubt. It was unbelievable. It was a Tuesday night game against a last-place team, and the fans were still really into it. Ten minutes before the game, the seats were filled and the place was loud. I was really lucky because, that night, they were celebrating the 1,000th NHL game for Alexei Kovalev, Roman Hamrlik and Bryan Smolinski. Henri Richard came out to honor them, and he got a three-minute standing ovation. During the game itself, the fans followed every nuance of every shift. It was like watching a tennis match where every fan was keyed in to every play. I loved it there.
Q: Which arena had the best fans?
A: I didn't have high expectations for St. Louis, but, I have to say, those fans are great. At least two-thirds of the fans at the game were wearing Blues sweaters. It was cool because, that night, the team was honoring Al MacInnis for making it into the Hall of Fame. The fans were loud, rambunctious and love their Blues.
Q: Which arena had the best food?
A: The United Center in Chicago had the best selection. You could get Mexican or ribs or pretty much anything you wanted. I ate a hot dog at every arena, and the best by far were in Montreal, where the bun is slit on the top and they lightly butter it. Also, in Dallas, they have something called the "knife and fork" dog, which is a hot dog smothered in chili, cheese and onions. And yes, you do have to eat it with a knife and fork. It was great. The worst food was in Edmonton, where I got food poisoning. Not sure if it was at the arena or at a restaurant, but my flight the next morning to Toronto wasn't pleasant.
Q: What was the most surprising moment during your trip?
A: Well, the funniest moment was in Detroit, my first night of the trip. It was breast cancer awareness night at The Joe, so every woman wearing pink got some sort of discount at the concession stand. There was this one guy who looked like a biker. He was big, like 240 pounds. He was wearing a pink dress and a pink bra. I was about to take a picture of him, but I figured he would kick my butt, so I didn't.
Q: Which arena had the best beer?
A: I had a self-imposed two-beer limit at every arena, but I made sure to try the microbrewery beers as much as possible. The best I had was in Phoenix; it was called Oggi's California Gold Blonde Ale. It was awesome.
Q: What was the biggest disappointment?
A: The atmospheres in some of the Canadian rinks, especially Vancouver and Calgary, were surprisingly bad. The fans seemed indifferent during the game: not a lot of cheering, not a lot of excitement. I was expecting the Canadian rinks to be the best, but it was pretty dead in those two cities.
Q: Overall, which arena had the worst atmosphere?
A: Washington was really sad. It was a Saturday night, there was a small crowd. It was quiet. Just didn't feel like hockey there. In Florida for the Panthers game, it was also quiet and a small crowd. You just didn't get the feeling there were a lot of real hockey fans in these cities.
Q: Who did you go to the games with?
A: About half the games, I went with friends or family. And the other half, I was alone. It was a great way to reconnect with some old college friends. My sons, my brother and my girlfriend all met up with me along the way.
Q: What was the best moment from the games?
A: A couple of great moments stand out. In Carolina, against the Lightning, Vincent Lecavalier scored an amazing goal. He broke through the defense, and with Bret Hedican draped on his back, he just shrugged him off and scored. It was an incredible show of strength and skill. I saw a total of 158 goals. That one and a Sam Gagner shootout goal were the two beauties I remember best.
Then, in Phoenix, Daniel Carcillo of the Coyotes had three fights in one game against the Ducks. He had, like, 34 penalty minutes. He was the most entertaining player I saw, a real pest on the ice. The fans loved it.
Q: Did you meet any of the players or get any special VIP treatment along the way?
A: In Philly, I was the guest on the intermission show with Flyers broadcaster Steve Coates. He was great. He actually took me down to sit on the Flyers bench for the pregame skate. So, I'm sitting on the Flyers bench, and first, Jeff Carter skates up and starts asking me how the trip is going. Then, Mike Knuble comes over, and we start talking about the games I've seen. They had read about the trip in the newspaper, so it was cool that these guys were coming up and asking me questions.
The last game of the trip was in Tampa. Before the game, I was at center ice to do the "Let's play hockey" chant to start the game. It was amazing, standing there with the spotlight on me and looking up at this huge arena from ice level.
In Chicago, between periods, I was picked to shoot a puck from center ice to try to win two airline tickets anywhere United Airlines fly. Obviously, I could have used those tickets [laughs]. You had to try to score on one of those nets with a big board hanging in front of it. I did horribly. This young girl was after me, and she did way better than me. It was pretty embarrassing [laughs].
Q: Overall, which would you say is the best NHL city to visit?
A: I didn't get to do as much sightseeing as I would have liked. I spent most mornings planning my travel for the next city. One place I would like to go back to is Vancouver. It's really a beautiful city. It was raining when I was there, but I like the vibe of the city.
Q: How did you spend your time between games?
A: I didn't have too much down time. Every day I wrote my blog. It was supposed to be a way for my friends and family to keep posted on the trip, but I was getting thousands of visits to the site every day as the media and other fans started to hear about what I was doing. So I ended up spending a lot of time making sure I wrote a detailed account of what was going on. That took a lot of time. I did get to the Sears tower in Chicago when my girlfriend joined me. We get to the top, and I'm thinking, "I'm spending $25 to do this, when every night I'm thousands of feet in the air with a great view at the games" [laughs]. So, we left after about five minutes.
Q: Would you do this trip again?
A: Thirty cities, 30 nights, 30 arenas. It's now been done. If the NHL were to expand, I would consider doing it again. But I feel like it was a dream of mine that has been completed.
Q: Is it safe to say you are the most devoted hockey fan in the world?
A: I don't know. There are great fans all over the place. I had guys e-mailing me, telling me they saw me on television in Chicago one night, Washington the next night and Colorado the next. These guys are watching like three games every night. So, there are great fans everywhere. There are guys out there who dream about doing something. I'm glad I did it. I'm 49 years old, so time is short. I wanted to do it, and I did. I am passionate about the game and doing this trip meant a lot to me.
Q: What was the first thing you did when you woke up the morning after your 30th and final game and you didn't have a plane to catch?
A: I actually woke up in the afternoon [laughs]. I slept in until 1 p.m. It was a Sunday, so I woke up and watched football and spent time with my family, just hung out. It felt great that the last game was in Tampa, so I was already back home. I went to my final game with 10 friends and family members. It was a fitting conclusion to a fantastic voyage. By the way, somehow, despite all the hot dogs and beer, I lost five pounds on the trip. Not a bad way to lose weight [laughs].
ESPN reporter David Amber is a frequent contributor to ESPN.com.
lefty
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Fuck
Brodeur killed the Habs
Once again
Fuck
Rip-Hamilton32
12-01-2007, 09:50 PM
well the shootout continues to own toronto
lefty
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
The Northeast division is having a tough time : Ottawa and Montreal a having a bad streak, Toronto sucks, Buffalo is not the same without Briere and Drury...
lefty
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Detroit is playing in Montreal tonight.
I should have gotten some tickets for this game. Fuck fuck fuck !!!
Plus, my apartment is 15 minutes from the Bell Center (by walking)
lefty
12-05-2007, 10:14 AM
They aren't on strike?
Apparently, the Habs and Sens are on strike; thy have decided to stop playing hockey.
DarkReign
12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Apparently, the Habs and Sens are on strike; thy have decided to stop playing hockey.
:lmao
Good game, but the Habs arent in the Wings league. Havent been for years.
IMO, the entire Eastern conference is a step behind the West (or two). They dont play defense. Until they do, the West will continue to win the Cup 60-70% of the time.
DarkReign
12-05-2007, 03:37 PM
BTW, I liked that article, Lefty.
Rip-Hamilton32
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
:lmao
Good game, but the Habs arent in the Wings league. Havent been for years.
IMO, the entire Eastern conference is a step behind the West (or two). They dont play defense. Until they do, the West will continue to win the Cup 60-70% of the time.
that is until detroit is in the east right lol, leafs on a mini 3 game win streak :elephant
lefty
12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
:lmao
Good game, but the Habs arent in the Wings league. Havent been for years.
IMO, the entire Eastern conference is a step behind the West (or two). They dont play defense. Until they do, the West will continue to win the Cup 60-70% of the time.
I totally agree.
Actually, Detroit is my 2nd favorite team : Datsyuk+Zetterberg : Wow
(plus they have the best uniform in the NHL, by far)
By the way, Scott Niedermayer is back with Anaheim; bad news Red Wings :D
lefty
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
There's Leafs-Habs, and then there's these new rivalries
Amber
By David Amber
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)
We all know about the storied rivalry between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens. The "Battle of Alberta," the Islanders vs. the Rangers and Detroit vs. Colorado are clashes that will always hold a special place in our hearts.
But with new teams, new players and new story lines, we have some fresh rivalries ready to hit a boiling point. In the latest 10 Degrees, we look at the best "new" rivalries in the NHL.
10. Vancouver vs. Minnesota
Here are two teams without much head-to-head history, geographical ties or any reason to despise one another. That all changed on Nov. 16, when the mild-mannered Mattias Ohlund took a two-hander to the leg of Mikko Koivu after he was elbowed by the Wild center. The fallout from what became an international incident between Ohlund (Sweden) and Koivu (Finland) was a four-game suspension for Ohlund, a cracked fibula for Koivu and some bad blood between the Canucks and Wild. When the two teams faced each other again on Dec. 2, a scrap broke out just three seconds into the game and four misconducts followed. These teams face off five more times this season, so don't be surprised if we see more fireworks as they battle for the Northwest Division title.
9. Anaheim vs. Los Angeles
Separated by less than 40 miles, the Ducks and Kings have become bitter local rivals. Last season, the teams played eight times; seven were decided by one goal and three of those tilts were shootouts. This season, they have already played five games, including the back-to-back, season-opening games in London, England. Despite playing in a division with Cup contenders Dallas and San Jose, Ducks coach Randy Carlyle calls the Kings "our fiercest rival." The numbers don't lie. In their meetings this season, there have been eight roughing penalties, six boarding penalties, two fights and four misconducts, including a game misconduct. Next up, Jan. 24 in L.A. Game on!
8. Philadelphia vs. Boston
Considering their leader is 5-foot-9, 175-pound Daniel Briere, the Flyers aren't exactly the reincarnation of The Broad Street Bullies. But with five player suspensions (52 games) already in the books this season, Philadelphia is stirring things up around the NHL. No team has felt the effects more than the Boston Bruins. Patrice Bergeron's season may be over after suffering a concussion and broken nose in October, courtesy of a nasty hit from Flyers defenseman Randy Jones. In the teams' next meeting one month later, Scott Hartnell smashed Andrew Alberts head first into the boards, knocking the Bruins' tough guy out of the game. Both Jones and Hartnell were given two-game suspensions. The league has spoken, but what about the Bruins? Most players and teams subscribe to the "eye for an eye" philosophy. We'll find out in "Flyers vs. Bruins, Part III" on Jan. 12.
7. Derek Boogaard vs. Georges Laraque
The NHL's top two heavyweights have had a running feud since 2005. They have fought four times overall, with the lefty Laraque getting the better of Boogaard each time. The last scuffle one season ago sent the 6-foot-7 Boogaard to the injured list with a knee injury and he sat out nearly a month. With Laraque now in the Eastern Conference, the next edition of this rivalry will have to wait until the 2008 season since he missed this season's Penguins-Wild matchup. Still, at just 25, Boogaard has made it clear he plans to unseat Laraque as the game's most feared pugilist. Time will tell, but Round 5 between these two enforcers is bound to happen.
6. Ottawa vs. Buffalo
As if meeting in the playoffs four times over the last decade wasn't enough, the Senators and Sabres get to face each other eight times during the regular season in a matchup of two of the better skating teams in the league. Every game is a physical, end-to-end affair, with both teams' fans well represented in each city. This growing rivalry has been particularly hot since last February, when Chris Neil ran over Chris Drury, injuring the then-Sabres' leading scorer. The hit sparked a brawl, including goaltenders Martin Biron and Ray Emery. Even though Drury (Rangers) and Biron (Flyers) left Buffalo, the ill will between the teams remains. They play three games over a 15-day stretch starting on Dec. 26.
5. Chicago vs. Detroit
Superman had kryptonite, Seinfeld had Newman and the Detroit Red Wings apparently have the Chicago Blackhawks. Of all the possible Original Six matchups, this is the most improbable of rivalries. Since the last time the Hawks won a playoff series in 1996, the Wings have won three Stanley Cups and seven Central Division titles. But, this season, a rivalry has been revived out of what has recently been a mockery. Chicago is 4-0 vs. Detroit this season, the only team to beat the Wings at The Joe. After missing the playoffs eight of the last nine seasons, this maybe the season where the Windy City has the final say against Hockeytown.
4. Edmonton vs. Anaheim
On the ice, this rivalry has been timid compared to what has been said and done off it. It started in June 2006, when Chris Pronger asked for a trade from Edmonton after helping the Oilers reach the Stanley Cup finals. GM Kevin Lowe obliged by shipping the former MVP to Anaheim. The following offseason, just weeks after Anaheim won the Cup, Lowe presented restricted free agent Dustin Penner with a five-year $21.25-million offer sheet. Some considered the move "breaking protocol" with GMs and Ducks GM Brian Burke called it "colossal stupidity." Burke went on to say, "If I had run my team into the sewer like that, I wouldn't have thrown a grenade at the other 29 teams, and my own indirectly." Lowe shot back, calling Burke an "egomaniac" and a "blowhard." The war of words paved the way for some passionate on-ice battles. The Oilers recently swept a home-and-home series from the Ducks, outscoring the defending champs 9-1.
3. Sidney Crosby vs. Mike Richards
By all accounts, Mike Richards is a goal scorer. He leads the Flyers in scoring and sits in the top 10 in the NHL. But he can also be a pest. Just ask Sidney Crosby. Last season, the Penguins won all eight regular-season matchups vs. the Flyers and Crosby delivered seven goals and nine assists along the way. This season, with Richards draped all over Crosby, the Penguins are winless in two games. In their last meeting, a 5-2 Flyers win, Crosby was accused of diving, an accusation that left the reigning MVP seething and led to some jawing with Richards during the game. Neither will discuss what was said on the ice, but they both concede it was a spirited conversation. They may have won two gold medals as teammates for Team Canada at the World Junior Championship, but, right now, Richards and Crosby are bitter rivals with six more matchups this season. Next up, Dec. 11 in Philly.
2. Claude Julien vs. the Montreal Canadiens
It used to be former Boston coach Don Cherry that caught the ire of the Montreal Canadiens. Move over Grapes; say hello to former Habs bench boss Claude Julien, who has picked up right where Cherry left off. The rivalry began in earnest Nov. 8, when Bruins defenseman Aaron Ward suffered a concussion after getting elbowed by Francis Bouillon. Julien was incensed no penalty was called, and no suspension followed (Ward missed two games). In a rematch in Montreal nine days later, Julien let his players loose after the Habs held a comfortable lead in the third period. A series of fights ensued. After Bruins defenseman Mark Stuart roughed up non-fighter Andrei Kostitsyn, Julien and Montreal assistant coach Kirk Muller were screaming at each other from the benches. Following the game, Julien sent a message via the media to his Montreal counterparts: "Take care of your own business, and we'll take care of our own." There will be plenty of business for Julien to take care of with five more meetings between these clubs.
1. Sean Avery vs. ...
Where do we begin? Since making his NHL debut six seasons ago, Avery quickly established himself as a pest. In last season's ESPN.com NHL Players Survey, 38 percent of the 141 players polled said Avery was the dirtiest player in the league. The 27-year-old Rangers forward has a number of ongoing feuds, both on and off the ice. Within the last three seasons, he was suspended by his former team, the L.A. Kings, for conduct detrimental to the team; he made an inflammatory comment about French-Canadian hockey players; he was accused of uttering a racial slur at Georges Laraque; he had a very public and heated argument with Ducks broadcaster Brian Hayward; and, last month, he had a heated pregame and in-game battle with Toronto's Darcy Tucker. But let's not forget, Avery can play. He's been the spark in the Rangers' lineup since joining the club before last season's trade deadline. And it's safe to say Avery will be stirring up new rivalries once he returns from a wrist injury.
Rip-Hamilton32
12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
4 game win streak, here we come playoffs lol
lefty
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Bringing old school and new school together, one puck at a time
Buccigross
By John Buccigross
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 11, 2007, 3:53 PM ET
* Comment
* Email
* Print
For those of us who now get the NHL Network on our television, life as an NHL fan has never been better. We can see every highlight of every game, every night and every morning.
This cannot be overstated. The griping about the "mainstream media" ignoring the NHL in the United States has, for some of us, become academic. Slowly, the mainstream is being obliterated. All that is really left is the NFL, "American Idol" and Britney Spears. We can watch hockey highlights on the NHL Network, read about it on the Internet and listen to it on satellite radio. These things do cost money, so the revolution does come at a price.
A couple of weeks ago, I did a retro blog of an old Red Wings-Maple Leafs game from 1971 that got some pretty good reaction. I wanted to wait awhile before the next one, but Monday's Vintage Game was too juicy to pass up -- Canadiens vs. Bruins, 1979 Prince of Wales Conference finals. The winner would go on to play Phil Esposito and the New York Rangers in the 1979 Stanley Cup finals.
Shot of the Week
By popular demand (and we mean that), the shot of the week is back!
You know how it works. We will present an NHL photo, and Bucci will provide a caption. E-mail him your suggestions (include your name and hometown/state) and we will use the best ones and provide a new photo the following week.
LAST WEEK:
"One more 'A' and we could provide free towing for qualified members." (Getty Image)
Your captions:
"Hey, that kid in the stands said he wants his jersey back."
-- Tim Koen
"Think we'll land the part for "Stuck on You 2?"
-- David M. Hintz
Hemsky: "OK, you get first pick, we get first puck."
Nash: "Fine. I'll take Fedorov."
-- Mike Aurilio ( Philadelphia)
"No, really. In Canada, the 'A' means 'hello.'"
-- Craig L. Roberts
THIS WEEK:
Attendance problems continue in Detroit despite "Guaranteed Christmas Star Night." (Getty Image)
Then, I thought of trying something that might never have been done in blogging history -- simultaneously blogging two games played 17½ years apart. So, I recorded the Canadiens-Bruins game and the present-time Red Wings-Predators game from Monday night and waited until the Detroit-Nashville game ended to begin the blogging process.
I'll go back and forth from 1979 to 2007 in intervals because the "score bug" we now enjoy in any game we watch was not around in the '70s.
First period
Canadiens-Bruins
The Bruins had not beaten the Canadiens in a playoff series since 1943. Montreal won the first two games at the Forum, and the Bruins took Game 3. So, this is the pivotal Game 4.
Opening faceoff: After the large size of Peter McNab's head, the first thing one notices is the small rink size of the old Garden (191 by 83 feet). Today's "Garden" is like every other NHL rink (200 by 85). The old dimensions resulted in NASCAR hockey -- fast bumping and grinding. It had to have been terrifying for defensemen going back for the puck in their own zone.
19:48: Hey, it's Don Cherry in a burgundy Ron Burgundy-vested suit! This was Cherry's last season as Bruins coach despite four straight 100-point seasons. He went on to coach the Colorado Rockies the next season and lasted one year before later being hired by CBC. The analyst for this game, Dick Irvin, just said, "Cherry has worn a different suit every game." Changing clothes was apparently breaking news in 1979.
19:00: Stan Jonathan just gave Mario Tremblay a wicked forearm right to the head in the neutral zone. Today, this would have resulted in an elbowing penalty and a 30-minute discussion on how players don't respect one another. This is why I like watching old games. It dispels myths. Yes, players took head shots 30 years ago. The issue is today's hard equipment hitting skulls. For fun, I just timed how long it took to complete a faceoff after a whistle -- 35 seconds. They get longer as the game goes along.
18:00: It's a physical game early. Bob Gainey flattened Jean Ratelle. Then, Guy Lapointe had back-to-back checks on Don Marcotte and Ratelle. Ratelle was just shy of his 39th birthday in this game, but he looks like Sen. Joe Biden (1979's 39-year-olds looked much different from today's). The overall skating compared with today's game is startling. Some of the players appear to be wearing 30-pound ankle weights, especially the defensemen. You can see why the Edmonton Oilers did what they did three seasons later with their 417 goals and Wayne Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games. The NHL was there for the taking by a team with speed.
16:00: Double pad-stack save by Gilles Gilbert on Pierre Mondou. My gosh, the net looks enormous, and Gilbert is 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds. Even at the other end with Ken Dryden (6-4, 205), there is plenty of twine to shoot at.
[+] Enlarge
Don Cherry
Bruce Bennett Studios/Getty Images
Don Cherry pulled off the Ron Burgundy look before it was 'cool.'
Red Wings-Predators
So far this season, the Detroit Red Wings are the best team. They are by far the best-coached club. Mike Babcock is hands down the best coach in the NHL. He has to be Canada's coach at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and Steve Yzerman should pick the team. Synergy, people.
They score, they check and simply control the game. They are a little top-heavy scoringwise and, for this game (at least at the start), will split up Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. Jiri Hudler is coming on and has been playing at about a point-per-game rate. You can see his confidence growing.
Nashville, as expected, took a hit from its offseason losses. The Preds give up more goals than they score and have poor special teams and spotty goaltending. But they are right on the playoff cusp and have games in hand on just about every team in the West. I picked Nashville to finish ninth in the West. Unless the Preds shore things up, that's about where they will finish.
20:00: Unlike the Canadiens-Bruins game, this contest is in high definition and even the referees are wearing helmets and visors. This game also has two referees and the road team is wearing white instead of at home like the ol' Bruins. It's a small thing, but I love the home whites. Baseball, basketball and hockey should have home whites and football should have home colors. It's simple.
19:59: As play begins, I see other differences. The camera angle, as in all new NHL arenas, is higher up and farther back compared with the hovering-above-the-ice look in the old Boston Garden. The Canadiens-Bruins game is much more intimate; I feel as though I am in the arena. The goalie equipment is much bigger today, yes, but the goalies also play bigger from the evolution of coaching and equipment; both make goalies fearless. They hold their pads in an upside-down V with their knees flexed. Their elbows are away from their bodies. Psychologically, this is damaging to the shooter. He can't see a thing coming down the wing.
18:19: Whistle on the play, and U2's "Desire" blares from the sound system in Nashville, although it sounds as if it's played at a reasonable decibel level. (1979 was the last full year U2 wasn't signed to a significant label.) Big hit by Jordin Tootoo. Stan Jonathan had a big hit at about the same time in the 1979 tilt. This Nashville crowd is into the game, which helps because comparing a playoff game and a regular-season game is not always the best matchup.
Back to Boston …
14:00: Terry O'Reilly is a menace. A big bodycheck on Larry Robinson sets up a scoring chance, and for the rest of the shift, the eyes of fans in the Garden are on O'Reilly. Imagine what that did to a player. A player knows when he has the crowd's attention, and it makes him faster, stronger, more confident. It's the greatest feeling in the world. Dryden makes a sprawling save. Butterfly style wasn't common in 1979, but Dryden used the length of his body to take away the ice in distress situations.
13:00: Gainey is flying. He is a big, rangy player who skates well and plays with a lot of edge and heart. He would have been a popular and effective player on this small Garden ice. This game has become a turnover fest. Let's go back to Nashville.
Back to Nashville …
12:50: Datsyuk sets up Tomas Kopecky with an amazing play to make it 1-0. After the goal, there was a weird collision involving referee Kerry Fraser. Apparently, Fraser just got the wind knocked out of him. His hair is still perfect. Fraser has more kids than Nicklas Lidstrom has Norris Trophies -- that scoreboard stands at 7-5. Martin Erat just was called for an elbowing penalty on a play identical to Jonathan's hit from 1979. The big difference in this game is the Red Wings' amazing puck-possession skills. On the small ice, turnovers were inevitable. It led to up-and-down action and lots of contact. With bigger ice and better skating skills, the Red Wings wait for an opening. The Bruins and Canadiens didn't have that luxury. That's why going to a bigger surface than what we have now will result in less up-and-down action and more puck-possession time.
It's 1979 again …
7:00 left in the first: Still scoreless in Boston. In a big playoff game like this, there are a lot of safe, chip-it-out plays. Mike Milbury is one of two Bruins players wearing a helmet. Sadly for Islanders fans, the helmet didn't prevent damage to the portion of Milbury's head that would help him land good trades in the future. The Bruins are an aging, slow team at this point. They are doing it all with heart, led by O'Reilly. They could have used Ray Bourque, a player they would welcome five months later.
4:35: Ratelle scores to make it 1-0. The hustle of O'Reilly makes it happen. When the camera shows the cheering crowd, there are no Bruins jerseys on the fans and lots of well-dressed adults. That is an enormous change to sports in the past 25 years. This entertainment option was primarily for adults. With a couple of minutes left in the first period, we get our first look at Canadiens coach Scotty Bowman. Cherry has had about three shots on camera; Bowman one. Al Sims just shot the puck over the glass in his own end, but he will not be penalized as Brian Rafalski will be late in the Red Wings game.
1:00: Mondou scores late in the first to tie the score at 1. Cherry gets two more close-ups, plus a shout-out to Cherry's dog Blue from the announcers. Cherry leads Bowman in camera close-ups, 8-2. Bowman leads in Cups, 9-0.
It's 2007 again …
4:45: There is simply no better NHL broadcasting tandem than Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond. Some might be as good, but not better. Daniels has few peers as a play-by-play man. He has passion, a great voice and extensive knowledge, and he flawlessly sets the scene. I assume he rejects any national game opportunities because he clearly should get those assignments. Redmond is so likable and warm, you feel as though he is in the living room with you. Every one of their games sounds important and eventful. Penalty shot! Valtteri Filppula gets tripped up going to the net alone, and Fraser awards a penalty shot. Filppula's world-class move beats Predators goalie Dan Ellis. It's 2-0 Detroit after one.
[+] Enlarge
Referee Kerry Fraser
Gregg Forwerck/NHLI via Getty Images
A shocking sight -- Kerry Fraser wearing a helmet.
Second period
Canadiens-Bruins
20:00: The second period is marred by whistles and lifeless play. The crowd is out of the game. No one sounds too concerned in 1979. People are being patient. There is a lot of hooking and holding with no penalties having been called yet.
13:10-ish: Montreal defenseman Brian Engblom makes a nice backhand chip pass out of the Montreal zone to a streaking Guy Lafleur, who takes eight strides, crosses the Bruins' blue line and blisters a shot by Gilbert to make it 2-1. (It is the identical shot Lafleur would take to tie the score late in Game 7 to force overtime.) The Canadiens are more talented and deeper than the Bruins. It's amazing this series went seven games.
Red Wings-Predators
20:00: The second period begins with an Igor Larionov interview. Larionov's daughters will be part of the new "American Idol" that begins in January. Larionov also mentions that the Red Wings' patience with Datsyuk throughout the years has made all the difference. He said a lot of Russians and Europeans often are not given the time to grow.
15:38: The improved level of athleticism compared with 1979 is blatant. The equipment, weight training, nutrition and coaching make today's game more difficult and skillful. And that should be the case. However, I think the overall passing in 1979 was a little better, perhaps out of necessity. Not many players were beating people one-on-one. They worked together more, and the physical play was more prevalent in 1979. It was more of a battle of wills than today. I think both eras cared as much and tried as hard, but the one-referee system allowed the game to have a better flow. I will always be a one-referee guy.
Canadiens-Bruins
6:30: Ratelle ties the score at 2. He had a strong postseason, scoring seven goals in 11 games. Ratelle was not very productive in his postseason career with the Rangers; but, with the Bruins, he scored 23 goals in 52 playoff games 1976-79. He scored only nine playoff goals in 65 games as a Ranger. Pat Hughes of the Canadiens just took a dive after a hook from Jonathan. Yes, players took dives in 1979, although that was the first one so far in this game. The second period ends with the score 2-2.
Red Wings-Predators
10:12: Tomas Holmstrom gets called for interference. There have been 769 of these types of plays in the Bruins-Canadiens playoff game. It doesn't matter, though, as Nashville's power play looks weak and indecisive. The power play was 13.5 percent entering this game. Last season, it was 17.4 percent. The Preds need to get back up to last season's number to make the playoffs. Another dicey Red Wings penalty, so the Preds' power play will get another shot. Redmond calls it a ridiculous penalty. Nashville is then called for a penalty that has Redmond chuckling. He played in the '70s, and these were everyday plays back then.
3:35: Daniels just said that because Datsyuk is shooting more, he is going through a stick a night. There have been no broken sticks in the 1979 game.
0:24: Martin Gelinas makes it 2-1 with a short-handed goal. Chris Osgood is ticked at his Red Wings teammates for actually allowing a shot on goal.
[+] Enlarge
Chris Osgood
John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images
Chris Osgood uses those big, bad pads to stop yet another opposing player.
Third period
Canadiens-Bruins
20:00: The period begins with a sense of urgency. The hooking and slashing have picked up, and the players are trying to draw penalties. Both Gainey and O'Reilly "dive," trying to sell a penalty that did take place. We've talked about how small the goalies' gloves were in this era (without the "cheater" above the wrist), but the small gloves did make it easy to dump the puck to defensemen to prevent a whistle and faceoff. Today's goalie gloves are so enormous that it's hard to get the puck out of the glove on the fly, much less control it. Dryden is very good at keeping the play alive and dropping the puck off to a swooping Montreal blueliner.
6:39: There have been at least 12 instances when a penalty would have been called in today's game. Wally Harris hasn't swallowed his whistle, he has mailed it back to Montreal. McNab scores with 3:42 left for a 3-2 lead. The entire Bruins bench leaves the ice to congratulate him. When did this start and when did this end? Engblom made a nice initial play to block McNab's shot, but McNab beat Dryden along the ice inside the post. If only Engblom had his 2007 hair in 1979, he might have gotten a piece of that shot with an undisciplined follicle. If Dryden were a butterfly goalie, it would have been an easy save; but, at this point, his pads probably weighed 137 pounds. Those old pads would get wet and feel like two fire hydrants.
2:06: Guy Lapointe scores the tying goal on a slap shot that goes right through Gilbert. Gilbert clearly has an issue with long slap shots. The entire Montreal bench leaves the bench to celebrate the goal. This game is going to overtime, but not before Montreal ices the puck with six seconds left. From the time the whistle blew to when the puck was dropped for the faceoff back in the Montreal end, it took a 1:20!
Red Wings-Predators
17:32: Back to the camera-angle discussion. I can't see the players' names on the back of their jerseys, and sometimes, I can't see their numbers. I have no such problem in the 1979 version, and it wasn't in HD like the Wings-Preds game. You can't really get a feel for each individual player. That fails to engage the viewers. I mentioned the intimacy of the camera angle in the Bruins game. If you are looking to improve the NHL on TV, that is it. I wrote last year that I see a time when there is an array of hovering cameras around the perimeter of the ice surface and above the glass (say 10 feet) to bring intimacy back. Short shifts and four lines don't help, either. Of course, all the advertisements littered along the boards and on the ice constantly reinforce that it is a business. In 1979, it looked more like a game these guys would be playing even if no one went to the game or watched it on TV.
6:03: This game is going well for the Red Wings, but I still wonder … When the game becomes a little more physical in the postseason and Detroit is trying to protect a one-goal lead late in the game, does it have the physical play to protect leads? The goaltending has been good, but I think the Wings' postseason goaltending is going to have to be better for Detroit to win a championship. I still think the team needs some more sandpaper and growl on the back end. In the meantime, the Wings hold on to win 2-1 as Osgood makes a sweet left-pad save late. Osgood's record is 14-1-1, and he has the lowest goals-against average in the NHL (1.75).
Overtime in Boston
3:36: Ratelle completes the hat trick, scoring the winner as he takes a beautiful backhand pass from Rick Middleton. The Bruins tie the series at 2. Ratelle's expression never changes. A different time. A different era. And, of course, the camera spots Cherry walking back up the tunnel to the dressing room. You're my boy, Blue.
lefty
01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Canadiens finally beat Devils, and in Newark! (new arena, but still empty) :elephant :elephant
Down 3-1, it's hard to beat Brodeur, but Habs did it.
But we're still 6 points behind Ottawa in the East
Purple & Gold
01-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Kings shit on the Ducks. :clap :clap :clap
lefty
01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Kings shit on the Ducks. :clap :clap :clap
That's a good rivalry
lefty
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
The skills competition's newest event, the breakaway challenge, was super entertaining !
:tu :tu
lefty
02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Seantors trade Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves for Cory Stillman and Mike Commodore !!!
:bang :bang :bang
As a Montreal Canadiens fan, I'm really worried now; not only did the Sens pound us last Saturday, but this trade makes them even stronger.
Great job by the Senators GM. :tu
Bob Gainey has to react now.
Rip-Hamilton32
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
anyone else see that skate to the throat? damn that was painful looking glad hes ok though
videotuning
02-12-2008, 01:25 PM
good game...:))))))))
T Park
02-17-2008, 04:49 PM
My Blues had a good shot at making the playoffs.
Unfortunately it looks like they are not gonna make it.
Again.
lefty
02-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I got tickets for Canadiens-Devils (March 11) :D
lefty
02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Flames pick collapses at home
WINDSOR, Ontario -- Mickey Renaud, a center with the junior league Windsor Spitfires, died Monday after collapsing at his home in Tecumseh, the team said. Renaud was 19.
Renaud, a fifth-round draft pick by the NHL's Calgary Flames, was taken to a hospital with no vital signs and attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Roy Diklich said.
Renaud was pronounced dead in the emergency room at Windsor Regional Hospital, the Ontario Hockey League team said on its Web site. An autopsy was scheduled later Tuesday, police said.
Renaud, the captain, was in his third year with the Spitfires and had 21 goals and 41 points in 56 games this season.
"This is the biggest tragedy in Spitfire history," Windsor general manager Warren Rychel said in a statement. "Words alone cannot describe our pain at this time."
Renaud was to have participated in the team's Family Day skate at Windsor Arena beginning at noon Monday. His teammates were called off the ice.
"The entire Ontario Hockey League family is mourning this tragic news," OHL commissioner David Branch said. "We extend our deepest condolences to Mickey's family, friends and teammates during this very difficult time."
The 6-foot-3, 220-pound center showed solid development last season, when he scored 22 goals and amassed 54 points in 68 OHL games.
Renaud excelled at penalty killing, finishing third in the league last season with six short-handed goals.
Mark Renaud, his father, played 142 NHL games with the Hartford Whalers from 1979-1980 through 1982-83, and 10 games with the Buffalo Sabres in 1983-84.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
:depressed :depressed
lefty
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
7 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT …
… being an NHL referee.
by Kelly Sutherland, NHL referee (as told to Greg Segal)
Black/Toby
1. WE'VE BEEN ON THE OTHER SIDE … "We all played at one point, and some, like Wes McCauley and Scott Cherrey, reached the pros. Now our playing is mostly limited to training camp, when we break into teams and battle it out. We ref the games ourselves, but it's still some of the dirtiest hockey I've ever seen."
2. … AND WE TRAIN LIKE WE'RE STILL THERE. "There's a killer fitness test in camp, and if you don't pass, you don't work. The game is so fast, you need to be durable, so most guys focus on the core. But some linesmen lift for bulk, too, for when they have to break up fights."
3. HAZARDS ABOUND. "Don Van Massenhoven took a slap shot to the face one year and had to have it reconstructed with metal plates. The worst I've had is concussions and bruised ribs. You're not supposed to get hit, so when it happens, it's always unexpected."
4. WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP TO. "Before each game, we study lineups and history to see if there was a fight or a big hit in the last meeting. And when a guy like Sidney Crosby is playing, the other team will do just about anything to stop him. He doesn't get preferential treatment, but it is something we have to be aware of."
5. Coaches talk the talk … "Coaches argue better than players. Some would make great lawyers. Steve Ludzik and Bob Hartley were the best. I know they were trying to get their teams fired up, but they didn't know when to stop. At some point, we have to agree to disagree. And if we can't, I call a penalty on them."
6. … BUT FANS TALK IT BETTER … "Refs are always the visiting team, and fans let you know how they feel. At my first game, in Buffalo, Scott Driscoll got hurt, and I replaced him. Kerry Fraser and I look similar, so when I got on the ice, a fan yelled, 'Fraser, you suck!' I hadn't started, and already I was being heckled!"
7. … AND SOMETIMES THEY'RE RIGHT. "A few years ago in Dallas, I lost sight of the puck during a scramble behind the net. I blew the whistle, which took away the Stars' game-winning goal. I saw later that I was completely wrong, but there was nothing I could do. I made the call I thought was right at the time."
lefty
02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Habs HISTORIC comeback !!!!
NY Rangers 5http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/sml/nyr.gif , http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/sml/mon.gif Montreal 6
Habs rally from five down, top Rangers in SO to cap biggest rally in team history
MONTREAL (AP) -- Michael Ryder and Alex Kovalev each scored twice and the Montreal Canadiens staged the biggest comeback in their storied history, rallying from five goals down to beat the New York Rangers 6-5 in a shootout Tuesday night.
Saku Koivu beat Henrik Lundqvist with a forehand deke on Montreal's second shootout attempt and Cristobal Huet stopped Brendan Shanahan, Chris Drury and Jaromir Jagr to the delight of the sold-out Bell Centre crowd of 21,273.
Montreal stormed back from a 5-0 deficit early in the second with five unanswered goals.
Ryder scored the first two of four straight even-strength goals by Montreal as the Canadiens pulled within one.
Kovalev, who scored Montreal's third goal 9 seconds before Mark Streit scored, rolled onto his back amid a wild ovation after he tied it with his team-leading 29th goal at 15:38.
Shanahan scored twice to reach 20 goals for the 19th straight season and Jagr had four assists to help stake the Rangers to their big lead.
Brandon Dubinsky and Sean Avery scored goals 14 seconds apart in the first, and Drury scored his 20th goal 28 seconds after Shanahan's second goal of the game to give New York a five-goal lead 5:03 into the second.
Shanahan scored New York's third goal of the first period and the first of two power-play goals 28 seconds apart by the Rangers early in the second to extend the streak that he began in 1988-89 with 22 goals in his second season with New Jersey.
Ryder drew Montreal within 5-1 with his 10th goal at 8:28 before cutting the lead to three with his second in a row at 12:52.
The Canadiens struck for two goals 9 seconds apart to cut the lead to 5-4 just 6:52 into the third.
Dubinsky opened the scoring with his 11th goal 8:50 into the first period on a rink-length give-and-go play with Jagr off a Montreal turnover in the Rangers' zone.
Jagr also had a hand on the Rangers' next goal as Avery put away a rebound of Carey Price's pad stop on Jagr shortly after the faceoff that followed Dubinsky's goal.
Shanahan chased Price, who allowed three goals on 11 shots, with his 19th goal at 13:56. He got his second of the game against Cristobal Huet 4:35 into the second with Chris Higgins serving a double minor for high-sticking.
Shanahan, who also played for St. Louis, Hartford and Detroit over the course of the streak, surpassed Marcel Dionne last season for sole possession of the second-longest streak in NHL history.
He trails only Gordie Howe, who scored at least 20 goals for 22 straight seasons with Detroit from 1949-50 to 1970-71.
The game was delayed for a few minutes with 2:36 remaining in the third when a few hundred "Go Habs Go" signs given away to the sold-out crowd of 21,273 by a hardware retailer rained down onto the ice after Canadiens defenseman Mike Komisarek was called for his second minor penalty in a row.
Game notes
Dubinsky fought with Komisarek late in the first period. ... Price had won three straight starts, including back-to-back wins over Philadelphia on the weekend.
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/35789f3a-904e-40a8-ac94-130ebd1d9793.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/17033296-66f4-4040-a3aa-6fe717bc68d8.jpg
dg7md
02-25-2008, 03:37 AM
I got tickets for Canadiens-Devils (March 11) :D
Nice, that should be a killer game.
I was wanting to go to the recent Stars/Canucks match up (big fan of both teams) but the good seats were out. :drunk
Now, relevant topic of discussion: Wings have been slumping hard.
lefty
02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice, that should be a killer game.
I was wanting to go to the recent Stars/Canucks match up (big fan of both teams) but the good seats were out. :drunk
Now, relevant topic of discussion: Wings have been slumping hard.
Wings have been underachievers for the last 3 seasons.
I love the Canucks; Luongo is just amazing.
At Dallas, Ribeiro is just another example of the talented French Canadian players the Habs gave away for nothing. (uh, Niinima???? WTF?).
However, Ribs wasn't very professional when he was in Montreal.
Habs-Devils should be a great game, but I wish I had tickets for that historic insane game vs Rangers.
dg7md
02-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Ribeiro has really come into his own in Dallas, he is just flat out amazing on the ice here.
lefty
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
SO:
Richards to Dallas; Dallas is winning the West !! :elephant :elephant
Huet to Caps for a 2nd round pick; well, I hope Gainey has a good plan :dizzy
lefty
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
FUCK Gainey !!!! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
FUCK Gainey !!!!
Not a fan of the trade eh?
lefty
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Not a fan of the trade eh?
Not really
Well at least Spurs will win the title this year
DarkReign
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Dallas and Colorado have improved along with (of all teams) the Capitals.
Everyone else was just a mild upgrade at best (SJ, Det, Pitt, etc).
Detroit is absolutely decimated with injuries to the blueline and man is it showing...they look terrible, they play terrible and even when they do find their scoring touch, they find a way to lose.
All will be right with the world when we get at least 2 of our top four back from injury (Kronwall and Rafalski supposed to be back in the lineup on Friday).
I like you, Lefty, but I hate the Canadians. Sorry man, always have, always will.
I am uber-surprised they did nothing at the deadline except (quite literally) give away Huet to Washington. Gainey obviously did that to free up future money for a target he had (Hossa or Richards), but that obviously didnt happen.
Not that it matters. Pains me to say this, but only New Jersey and Montreal have any chance at the Cup from the East. Pittsburgh are pretenders with probably the weakest tandem of goalies in the league (outside of Ottawa, arguably).
So I fully expect Montreal to go deep in the playoffs. If they dont, its an underachievment (same with the Wings....the only team they can lose to with respect is Anaheim....if they beat Anaheim, they better win the Cup or they failed).
Dallas doesnt scare me in the slightest. Not even remotely. I think the Richards deal was the most balanced transaction yesterday...Tampa Bay sheds a HUGE contract while getting a NHL starting goaltender in return and a comlpete player in Jokinen. Dallas gets the secondary scoring they needed (the same secondary scoring the Wigs needed, btw) but I have no confidence in Dallas' defence or goaltending.
Turco "supposedly" shed his playoff demons last year, and I was amazed with his play as well.....but in hindsight, who was Dallas playing? Oh thats right, fucking Vancouver...the most inept offense in all the league. Great series, I enjoyed it, but it was two defensive teams struggling on offense for 7 games.
Again, out West, it could be any number of teams in order (IMO):
1. Detroit
2. Anaheim
3. Dallas
4. San Jose
Darkhorse: Colorado
And only two teams in the East in order (IMO):
1. New Jersey
2. Montreal
3-8: Pittsburgh, Ottawa, who cares?
Should be an interesting stretch drive to say the least.
lefty
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Dallas and Colorado have improved along with (of all teams) the Capitals.
Everyone else was just a mild upgrade at best (SJ, Det, Pitt, etc).
Detroit is absolutely decimated with injuries to the blueline and man is it showing...they look terrible, they play terrible and even when they do find their scoring touch, they find a way to lose.
All will be right with the world when we get at least 2 of our top four back from injury (Kronwall and Rafalski supposed to be back in the lineup on Friday).
I like you, Lefty, but I hate the Canadians. Sorry man, always have, always will.
I am uber-surprised they did nothing at the deadline except (quite literally) give away Huet to Washington. Gainey obviously did that to free up future money for a target he had (Hossa or Richards), but that obviously didnt happen.
Not that it matters. Pains me to say this, but only New Jersey and Montreal have any chance at the Cup from the East. Pittsburgh are pretenders with probably the weakest tandem of goalies in the league (outside of Ottawa, arguably).
So I fully expect Montreal to go deep in the playoffs. If they dont, its an underachievment (same with the Wings....the only team they can lose to with respect is Anaheim....if they beat Anaheim, they better win the Cup or they failed).
Dallas doesnt scare me in the slightest. Not even remotely. I think the Richards deal was the most balanced transaction yesterday...Tampa Bay sheds a HUGE contract while getting a NHL starting goaltender in return and a comlpete player in Jokinen. Dallas gets the secondary scoring they needed (the same secondary scoring the Wigs needed, btw) but I have no confidence in Dallas' defence or goaltending.
Turco "supposedly" shed his playoff demons last year, and I was amazed with his play as well.....but in hindsight, who was Dallas playing? Oh thats right, fucking Vancouver...the most inept offense in all the league. Great series, I enjoyed it, but it was two defensive teams struggling on offense for 7 games.
Again, out West, it could be any number of teams in order (IMO):
1. Detroit
2. Anaheim
3. Dallas
4. San Jose
Darkhorse: Colorado
And only two teams in the East in order (IMO):
1. New Jersey
2. Montreal
3-8: Pittsburgh, Ottawa, who cares?
Should be an interesting stretch drive to say the least.
Great post :tu
By the way, do you hate the Habs because they have 24 Stanley cups? :D
DarkReign
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
By the way, do you hate the Habs because they have 24 Stanley cups? :D
:lmao No, I hate the Habs for posts like that. :lol
DarkReign
02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Could Richards have a better debut than he did last night with Dallas?
I dont think so. 5 assists, a career high for him. All of those assists were earned, all beautiful passes.
Dallas may be the contender. We'll see.
lefty
02-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Could Richards have a better debut than he did last night with Dallas?
I dont think so. 5 assists, a career high for him. All of those assists were earned, all beautiful passes.
Dallas may be the contender. We'll see.
I think they are.
lefty
03-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Canadiens 2 - Devils 1
First in the East baby !!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant
In your face HockeyNews ! :D
Condemned 2 HelLA
03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Canadiens 2 - Devils 1
First in the East baby !!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant
In your face HockeyNews ! :D
:pctoss
lefty
03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
:pctoss
:wtf
You're from Jersey?
Ottawa?
Condemned 2 HelLA
03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
:wtf
You're from Jersey?
Ottawa?
New Jersey fan.
Devils made that surge to take over the #1 spot in the East; now they're stumbling as of late.
lefty
03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
New Jersey fan.
Devils made that surge to take over the #1 spot in the East; now they're stumbling as of late.
Relax, it's not over
By the way, Habs host Devils on March 11; I'll be at the Bell Center for that one :elephant
DarkReign
03-03-2008, 09:43 AM
New Jersey fan.
Devils made that surge to take over the #1 spot in the East; now they're stumbling as of late.
NJ has nothing to worry about. If Price can hold up (i think he will), then its quite obvious that its either Montreal or New Jersey representing the East in the Finals.
Must be nice playing in the East....:lmao
Unless of course there is a Cinderella run, but I dont see that happening in either conference this year. Of course, I dont think I have ever predicted a Cinderella run before, thats what makes it so troubling.
lefty
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
NJ has nothing to worry about. If Price can hold up (i think he will), then its quite obvious that its either Montreal or New Jersey representing the East in the Finals.
Must be nice playing in the East....:lmao
Unless of course there is a Cinderella run, but I dont see that happening in either conference this year. Of course, I dont think I have ever predicted a Cinderella run before, thats what makes it so troubling.
Montreal is starting a Road Trip in the West tonight; they'll play 4 Western teams, including San Jose and Anaheim.
That's goona be a tough, but good test for the Habs; the West is that much stronger
lefty
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Fuck !!
We should have won the game !!! :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
San Jose got some lucky goals :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :bang
DarkReign
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
:lmao
Welcome to the Western Conference.
How do you think Ottawa feels after (literally) getting the shit kicked out of them by Anaheim?
lefty
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
:lmao
Welcome to the Western Conference.
How do you think Ottawa feels after (literally) getting the shit kicked out of them by Anaheim?
Hey, SJ is not better than us; we dominated the Sharks, really
Well, it was an unlucky night :depressed
Price gave a very bad goal to " goon " ( = big fighter who sucks at playing hockey) :bang
lefty
03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
So, after that undeserved loss at San Jose :bang
WIN @ Phoenix :elephant
WIN @ LA :elephant
Tomorrow, we're gonna get destroyed by Anaheim :cry
lefty
03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Damn, we should have beaten the Ducks !!!!
Lucky basterds, biased fucking refs :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
Anyway, tonight I'll be atth Bell Center for Habs-Devils , a showdown for the top spot in the East :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :elephant :elephant :elephant
lefty
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
So I was at Canadiens - Devils game ! :elephant :elephant
Canadiens win 4-0 :clap :clap
The crowd was A-MA-ZING ! :toast
lefty
03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
lJStGMYi6hM
25 seconds in
:lmao
That was legen....wait for it...dary :lmao
Poor Maple Leafs; they are trying hard to get that 8th playoff spot, their 2 top scorers are injured, and now this
:lmao
Rip-Hamilton32
03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
leafs still won :elephant lol and had that not gone in toskala would have had a shut out, that was some crazy bouncing
lefty
03-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Komisarek out for 3 weeks :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
FUCK !!!! Fuck fuck !!!! :pctoss :pctoss
:bang :bang :cry :cry
lefty
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Habs beat Sens 7-5 (7-1 after 2 periods :dizzy) without Komisarek !! :clap :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant
lefty
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :madrun :madrun :pctoss :pctoss
Komisarek out !
Koivu out !
Streit out !
Latendresse out !
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/tekfiend33/making%20a%20point/anger.gif
http://speedsquid.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/anger.gif
lefty
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant
Wow, despite all the injuries, we beat ottawa on their home ice 3-0 !!!
Price Rookie of the Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :hungry:
lefty
04-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Playoffs starting next week :elephant :elephant :elephant
So much for Hockey News, ESPN, and SI predictions (Habs finishing 13-14 th)
:ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit
DarkReign
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Playoffs started tonight, Im watching Sens@Pens.
Pitt up 2-0 start of the third.
Go WINGS!
lefty
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I like Calgary's chance VS San Jose.
We'll see what happens in game 1
DarkReign
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
I like Calgary's chance VS San Jose.
We'll see what happens in game 1
Good call. I thought Cal would be steamrolled...I was obviously very very wrong.
That might be a helluva series shaping up there.
But Pittsburgh absolutely crushed Ottawa. Im sorry, Ottawa looks like a second rate team with a second rate goalie. Even if Pitt sweeps, I wont be impressed.
Bummer les Habs are on at the same time as the Wings tonight. I always get a huge thrill watching the Bell Centre do its thing.
lefty
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
sid and the crew take first game. I hope they meet Habs.
no canucks hurts still.
Habs - Pens would be amazing :hungry:
lefty
04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Good call. I thought Cal would be steamrolled...I was obviously very very wrong.
That might be a helluva series shaping up there.
But Pittsburgh absolutely crushed Ottawa. Im sorry, Ottawa looks like a second rate team with a second rate goalie. Even if Pitt sweeps, I wont be impressed.
Bummer les Habs are on at the same time as the Wings tonight. I always get a huge thrill watching the Bell Centre do its thing.
Damns that sucks; the regular season games feel like playoff games here, just imagine what it's like in the playoffs with Habs as the 1st seed in the East
DarkReign
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Lefty and DR
who u got in the finals?
I got Ducks vs Pens
I wont actually write down who I think will be in the Finals from the west.
But the Habs are coming out of the East.
No jinxes here, nope, none, zero...
DarkReign
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Damns that sucks; the regular season games feel like playoff games here, just imagine what it's like in the playoffs with Habs as the 1st seed in the East
Montreal is the best hockey city in the world, period.
There arent many things I want to do before I die, I am a pretty content person, but going to Montreal to watch a playoff game is one thing I will do before I die.
No other building, in any sport, in any country, is as raucous and "into it" as Montreal is at the Bell Centre (<- see how I spelled it? yeeeeeah, thats right bitches).
dg7md
04-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Great game for the Stars! Loved seeing that on the road, they are showing a lot to me.
lefty
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Montreal is the best hockey city in the world, period.
There arent many things I want to do before I die, I am a pretty content person, but going to Montreal to watch a playoff game is one thing I will do before I die.
No other building, in any sport, in any country, is as raucous and "into it" as Montreal is at the Bell Centre (<- see how I spelled it? yeeeeeah, thats right bitches).
:toast :toast
Just let me know when you're coming here
DBryant88
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Montreal is the best hockey city in the world, period.
There arent many things I want to do before I die, I am a pretty content person, but going to Montreal to watch a playoff game is one thing I will do before I die.
No other building, in any sport, in any country, is as raucous and "into it" as Montreal is at the Bell Centre (<- see how I spelled it? yeeeeeah, thats right bitches).
i would laugh if u dropped dead right now hahahahhahahahaha
DarkReign
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
i would laugh if u dropped dead right now hahahahhahahahaha
Well, thats because youre an asshole. But that was assumed anyway.
lefty
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
i would laugh if u dropped dead right now hahahahhahahahaha
WTF ??? :wtf
lefty
04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Price : " Wow, it's really hard "
Metropolit : "Yeah I know...wait, are you talking about the shot? "
http://img.fannation.com/images/getty/2008/04/10/23/20080410233014338038000-gyi-565x565.jpg
Herschel Walker
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Great game for the Stars! Loved seeing that on the road, they are showing a lot to me.
I flipped to that game and it was 3-0 right before Morrow went right by Pronger to the front of the net making it 4-0. I didn't see that coming, I thought pronger was a premier defender?
dg7md
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I just want the Stars to get out of the first round, they have enough offense to light up the nets so it's about time they use that, the Brad Richards trade was one of the better trades they could have done. This team can go pretty deep in the playoffs if they are willing to let the offense start doing what they know they can do. It doesn't hurt having Turco in the net, either.
T Park
04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought pronger was a premier defender?
one of the best the league has ever seen, he is getting up there in age, hockey wise.
Herschel Walker
04-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Modano+Richards = 4-2 Stars lead in the 3rd. Ducks in trouble.
lefty
04-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Ducks suck.
Herschel Walker
04-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Ducks suck.
They only lost 9 at home all year, so they haven't sucked there. The Stars have just turned it up Spurs style in the 1st round.
lefty
04-13-2008, 01:27 AM
They only lost 9 at home all year, so they haven't sucked there. The Stars have just turned it up Spurs style in the 1st round.
Sorry, I meant compared to the Stars.
With Ribs (we traded him for that Ninima guy) and Richards, they are unstoppable
DarkReign
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry, I meant compared to the Stars.
With Ribs (we traded him for that Ninima guy) and Richards, they are unstoppable
Not unstoppable. One must remember the Ducks are playing without Perry. And Giguere looks completely human.
There is no replacing the hunger, especially defending their title.
With that said, Dallas has man-handled them. Hasnt even been close.
But Dallas has their weak points.
DarkReign
04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
I thought Montreal would roll Boston, but game 2 and 3 have been a lot closer than I thought they would be.
Obviously, lousy penalty calls are abound this year in the playoffs. But that "hook" to put Boston on the powerplay was one of the worst I have seen.
If Boston ties the series up, Montreal may be in for a real letdown.
DarkReign
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
How bout them Flames!
Down 3 goals in the first 5 mins of the game only to storm back and win 4-3 on a late goal by (of all people) Owen Nolan!
San Jose not lookin so good. Nabokov especially.
DarkReign
04-14-2008, 08:40 AM
NYR vs NJ has been more entertaining than I thought it would be. The scores dont reflect it (excpet yesterday), but they have been tough, tough games full of hits and plays and huge saves by both goaltenders.
Really impressed with both teams.
DarkReign
04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Detroit @ Nashville, Game 3 tonight.
Lets hope them Wings go up 3-0. Make it a short series.
lefty
04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I thought Montreal would roll Boston, but game 2 and 3 have been a lot closer than I thought they would be.
Obviously, lousy penalty calls are abound this year in the playoffs. But that "hook" to put Boston on the powerplay was one of the worst I have seen.
If Boston ties the series up, Montreal may be in for a real letdown.
I do respect the Bruins, they played hard in th last 2 games.
Price was awesome, but Bruins deserved their win, it was a great game.
Good wake-up call for Montreal; too bad both teams are missing key players.
But back-to-back playoff games ? Fucking Bettman :madrun
Red Wings will beat the Preds in 5; game 2 was weird though.
Calgary destroyed Marleau, who already has a tendency to disappear during the playoffs; it's gonna be even worse from now on.
Just remember that hit from Komisarek on Joe Thornton in 2004; Thornton wasn't the same after that.
dg7md
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Man that CGY/SJ game last night was the highlight of the sports realm last night, what a game. Too bad nobody is really talking about it. Devils/Rangers was all right, but that 3-0 lead came back to bite SJ (no pun intended) and everyone saw that coming, so it was more entertaining to watch in my opinion over the Devils and Rangers on at that time. I had no way of watching the Bruins/Canadiens game but it looked exciting, too.
I still think the Sharks will take the series over the Flames, but I am thinking all of the games will be as tough and contested like that, since the Flames are a pretty rough team.
lefty
04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Wow, what a comeback win by San Jose !!!! :downspin:
On a side note, thsoe who have doubted Carey Price must be eating their words :D
Rip-Hamilton32
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, what a comeback win by San Jose !!!! :downspin:
On a side note, thsoe who have doubted Carey Price must be eating their words :D
hes good but lets not forget this is boston minus their best foward
lefty
04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
hes good but lets not forget this is boston minus their best foward
Yeah but Price has made amazing saves vs Malkin and Crosby this season.
I think he's the next Patrick Roy (damn I jinxed him :D)
Brisebois, who played with ROy in MTL, sees similarities
Rip-Hamilton32
04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah but Price has made amazing saves vs Malkin and Crosby this season.
I think he's the next Patrick Roy (damn I jinxed him :D)
Brisebois, who played with ROy in MTL, sees similarities
no doubt hes gonna be very good but we'll have to see if he reaches roy's level
WTF is wrong with Washington Tonight?
lefty
04-18-2008, 09:39 AM
FUCK fuck fuck !!!!!!:pctoss:pctoss:pctoss
Fucking Habs couldn't close the series !!!:madrun:madrun
Aaaargh ! Aaargh !!! :madrun
Price fucking SOB ! Worst goaltender ever !!!! :madrun:madrun Aaargh !!!
Go back to your fucking igloo !!:madrun:madrun
But respect to Boston, they came to play :toast
Obstructed_View
04-19-2008, 11:25 AM
I almost posted up when Dallas was up 2-0 but I figured they always had a chance to just stop playing. Sure enough, they did. That effort last night was pathetic. Marty Turco is a perfect fit for the city of Dallas.
lefty
04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok Price forgive me :oops:oops:oops
You were fucking amazing !!:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow
Amazing in game 7 !! :wow
That was not human, that was Price >>>>>>>>>>> Roy + Dryden + Brodeur + Luongo
Lundqdvist can go fuck himself :eyebrows:eyebrows
That was NOT HUMAN, where did that come from ???!!! :downspin::downspin:
I'm sorry for what I said after game 5 :p:
I'm giving you my middle testicle :toast
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0421/nhl_g_price_412.jpg
DarkReign
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Congrats Lefty.
Congrats to all Stars fans, as well.
I dont think I enjoy anything more than NHL playoffs.
lefty
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Congrats Lefty.
Congrats to all Stars fans, as well.
I dont think I enjoy anything more than NHL playoffs.
Thanks Darkreign.:toast ; Price was unreal tonight, really.
I wish the Wings-Preds lasted longer; lots of weird plays in this series :wow
I knew Stars would beat the Ducks.
And Flames and Caps forcing game 7; big games tomorrow :downspin:
lefty
04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Dallas Stars are impressive :toast
Red Wings not chocking yet :D
Habs have 2 tough games in Philly; I'm really worried :bang
StylisticS
04-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Looks like the Stars are the only Dallas team that gets it. Need to win one more to get to the WCF so not counting our chickens yet. But man I did not expect this.
Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 03:34 AM
Looks like the Stars are the only Dallas team that gets it. Need to win one more to get to the WCF so not counting our chickens yet. But man I did not expect this.
Amazing how good Marty Turco can be when the team can keep him from getting shelled. This is the best Stars team I've ever seen.
DarkReign
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Dallas vs Detroit in the WCFs.
Habs/Philly vs Penguins in ECFs.
Kind of a disappointing second round.
StylisticS
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Amazing how good Marty Turco can be when the team can keep him from getting shelled. This is the best Stars team I've ever seen.
Better than the very late 90s teams with Belfour, Hatcher, younger Modano, and more? That's bold but you may be right.
FromWayDowntown
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123
Report: Avery taken to hospital in cardiac arrest
ESPN.com news services
Updated: April 30, 2008, 12:09 PM ET
New York Rangers forward Sean Avery was rushed to a Manhattan hospital on Wednesday morning in cardiac arrest just hours after his team's playoff loss, the New York Daily News reported, citing unnamed sources.
Avery was unconscious and not breathing, the newspaper reported.
A source at St. Vincent's Medical Center said Avery, 28, arrived at about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning. Hours earlier, the Rangers lost 5-3 in the Stanley Cup playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden.
A source close to the team confirmed Avery had been rushed to the hospital, but declined to offer any specifics, the Daily News reported.
lefty
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123
Report: Avery taken to hospital in cardiac arrest
ESPN.com news services
Updated: April 30, 2008, 12:09 PM ET
New York Rangers forward Sean Avery was rushed to a Manhattan hospital on Wednesday morning in cardiac arrest just hours after his team's playoff loss, the New York Daily News reported, citing unnamed sources.
Avery was unconscious and not breathing, the newspaper reported.
A source at St. Vincent's Medical Center said Avery, 28, arrived at about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning. Hours earlier, the Rangers lost 5-3 in the Stanley Cup playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden.
A source close to the team confirmed Avery had been rushed to the hospital, but declined to offer any specifics, the Daily News reported.
Shit
I hope he'll be ok
FromWayDowntown
04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
A somewhat positive update:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123
Rangers say Avery hospitalized following playoff loss
By Scott Burnside
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The New York Rangers said forward Sean Avery suffered a lacerated spleen in Tuesday night's Stanley Cup playoff game and will be lost for the remainder of the playoffs.
The team also denied a published report in the New York Daily News -- which first reported Avery's hospitalization -- that the forward had been taken to a Manhattan hospital while unconscious and in cardiac arrest.
The Rangers said Avery was admitted to St. Vincent's Medical Center following a CT scan and is expected to make a full recovery. Avery walked into the medical facility with team doctor Andrew Feldman, and the two took a car to the hospital, not an emergency vehicle, the team said.
Hours earlier, the Rangers lost 5-3 in the Stanley Cup playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden. The Penguins took a 3-0 series lead with the win.
Avery suffered the injury as the result of a hit during the game, spokesman John Rosasco told reporters during the team's morning workout.
Avery's mother told the Toronto Sun that the injury occured in the first period as the result of a collision with a Penguins defenseman and that he played the remainder of the game in a great deal of pain.
Avery played 14 minutes and 34 seconds of Game 3, taking 19 shifts on the ice. He finished the game before going to hospital, according to the team. He has seven points in eight playoff games this spring.
Avery, known for getting under opponents' skin with a chippy style of play, became a lightning rod for controversy during the first round when he tried to disrupt New Jersey Devils netminder Martin Brodeur by waving his arms and stick in the netminder's face. The unorthodox method of screening prompted the NHL to impose a new rule that warned similar actions by players would result in a penalty.
lefty
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
A somewhat positive update:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3375123
Rangers say Avery hospitalized following playoff loss
By Scott Burnside
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- The New York Rangers said forward Sean Avery suffered a lacerated spleen in Tuesday night's Stanley Cup playoff game and will be lost for the remainder of the playoffs.
The team also denied a published report in the New York Daily News -- which first reported Avery's hospitalization -- that the forward had been taken to a Manhattan hospital while unconscious and in cardiac arrest.
The Rangers said Avery was admitted to St. Vincent's Medical Center following a CT scan and is expected to make a full recovery. Avery walked into the medical facility with team doctor Andrew Feldman, and the two took a car to the hospital, not an emergency vehicle, the team said.
Hours earlier, the Rangers lost 5-3 in the Stanley Cup playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden. The Penguins took a 3-0 series lead with the win.
Avery suffered the injury as the result of a hit during the game, spokesman John Rosasco told reporters during the team's morning workout.
Avery's mother told the Toronto Sun that the injury occured in the first period as the result of a collision with a Penguins defenseman and that he played the remainder of the game in a great deal of pain.
Avery played 14 minutes and 34 seconds of Game 3, taking 19 shifts on the ice. He finished the game before going to hospital, according to the team. He has seven points in eight playoff games this spring.
Avery, known for getting under opponents' skin with a chippy style of play, became a lightning rod for controversy during the first round when he tried to disrupt New Jersey Devils netminder Martin Brodeur by waving his arms and stick in the netminder's face. The unorthodox method of screening prompted the NHL to impose a new rule that warned similar actions by players would result in a penalty.
That's good news.
I hate him as a player, but you don't want that kind of shit to happen to anyone, and he's only 28.
Do you think Brodeur will pay him a visit a the hospital ?
lefty
05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck
Heath Ledger
05-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Lets go Red Wings!!! Wings will close out the series today! Book It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Better than the very late 90s teams with Belfour, Hatcher, younger Modano, and more? That's bold but you may be right.
Yeah, don't make me think about it too much. I love that '99 team so much I might change my mind. But my reasoning for saying it is this: Belfour, when he was on, was as good a goalie as I ever saw, and he won a number of really close and really long games by standing on his head for long, long stretches. Their defense was really good, but they did it by blocking a lot of shots, which takes equal amounts talent and guts. This current team can do it all. Obviously if they don't have the fortitude to win it all then the argument goes out the window. I'll probably blame Turco.
lefty
05-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow, so many ties between Canadiens and the 1999 Stars.
Bob Gainey led the Minesotta North Stars to their first Stanley Cup appearance in the early 90's
Then he wins the 99 cup as the GM; Carbonneau was on that team as player. (his 3rd Stanley cup, after winning 2 with Montreal).
And Carbonneau is also Brendan Morrow's father-in-law.
Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, so many ties between Canadiens and the 1999 Stars.
Bob Gainey led the Minesotta North Stars to their first Stanley Cup appearance in the early 90's
Then he wins the 99 cup as the GM; Carbonneau was on that team as player. (his 3rd Stanley cup, after winning 2 with Montreal).
And Carbonneau is also Brendan Morrow's father-in-law.
Gainey did that a lot. Craig Ludwig came from Montreal as well. Mike Keane did too.
Carbonneau's daughter met Brendan Morrow while they were teammates in Dallas, if memory serves.
Dave Tippett attended the same college as Ed Belfour and Craig Ludwig. Don't remember if they all played together.
lefty
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Gainey did that a lot. Craig Ludwig came from Montreal as well. Mike Keane did too.
Carbonneau's daughter met Brendan Morrow while they were teammates in Dallas, if memory serves.
Dave Tippett attended the same college as Ed Belfour and Craig Ludwig. Don't remember if they all played together.
I forgot about Ludwig and Keane.
DarkReign
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry Lefty (not so much for the Habs though).
Philly @ Pitt for the ECFs.
Biggems
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
GO :guin :guin :guin
lefty
05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry Lefty (not so much for the Habs though).
Philly @ Pitt for the ECFs.
Man this is frustrating.
We outplayed Philly the whole series, total domination. We should have won in 5. :bang
Oh well, again, experience >>>>>>>> youth
But at the end of the day, Flyers took advantage of any opportunity they had, and that's a quality any team must have to go far.
And I'm convinced Biron was on steroids :D
But almost everybody thought Montreal would finish 14th in the East, and we finished with the 1st spot, so still a great season :toast
And congratulations to the Flyers, they are a playoff team, I respect the hell out of them :toast
Penguins-Flyers, great Pensylvania rivalry
Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Great game:toast
Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2008, 12:28 AM
This tread blows it's the 3rd overtime:toast
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 12:36 AM
I smell a marathon.
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Turco standing on his head for that one.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2008, 12:40 AM
That was a goal
lefty
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for moving here guys :D
Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Holly Shit what a damn game:toast
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
That was a goal
?? It was under his ass. Nowhere near the line.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for moving here guys :D
You and I the only two who care:toast
lefty
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
You and I the only two who care:toast
True:toast
Burn531
05-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Those Dallas fans have been standing for almost 2 games!
lefty
05-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Eat that Morrow.
Game 7 for the ages
StylisticS
05-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Those Dallas fans have been standing for almost 2 games!
This will be the 7th period? They HAVE been standing for 2 games. I have to admit...this is what I'm doing from time to time - ->:sleep
DudleyDawson
05-05-2008, 01:22 AM
i hate hockey, but this game is preventing me from studying for my IS final tomorrow. I cant stop watching.
Burn531
05-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Dallas Fans: :ihit
Should be a fun West Finals.
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Sweet goal to can the Sharks and end their season.
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Turco's warmed up now. Now time to take down Detroit. Toughest test yet.
Whisky Dog
05-05-2008, 01:32 AM
fuck
fuck
fuck
Who's your team?
StylisticS
05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
i hate hockey, but this game is preventing me from studying for my IS final tomorrow. I cant stop watching.
It prevented me from studying from my ITN final lol.
Solid D
05-05-2008, 01:44 AM
"O Captain, My Captain!"
http://cdn.nhl.com/stars/images/upload/2008/05/stars5404.jpg
dg7md
05-05-2008, 04:54 AM
What a damn game, seriously. Turco is going to be near unbeatable in the West Finals, he's feeling it! I'd go to a WCF game but the tickets are so damn expensive.
Was this game longer than that marathon against the Canucks last year? That game started at 9 PM CST too. I'll be yawning all day..don't think I crashed out until 2 or so.
Solid D
05-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Was this game longer than that marathon against the Canucks last year? That game started at 9 PM CST too. I'll be yawning all day..don't think I crashed out until 2 or so.
No, it ranked 5th in the modern era in length, 8th longest in NHL history. I'm going by memory from a graphic I saw but the Stars v. Vancouver game ranked 4th longest, then Penguins v. Capitals (3rd), Stars v. Ducks 2nd and then Penguins v. Flyers 1st. The longest game in NHL history was Detroit v. Montreal Maroons.
Solid D
05-05-2008, 09:35 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8c/fullj.98c3760fa2b2a6d1d174b19a23fcb1f2/98c3760fa2b2a6d1d174b19a23fcb1f2-getty-80824901rm018_san_jose_shar.jpg
DarkReign
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
All is set.
Philly @ Pitt
Dallas @ Detroit
---------
Going to be an entertaining Conference Finals on both sides. Personally, I think Pittsburgh is going to smoke Philly, but it wouldnt be the first time I have been wrong (nor the last).
Pittsburgh in 5.
I make no predictions on the other series.
Solid D
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Dallas is tough, gritty with skill on 3 lines. Then there is Detoit. If this Western Conference Finals is going to be won on skills-only, the series will be like Team Sweden vs. Uganda and over in 3 1/2 games.
u2sarajevo
05-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I make no predictions on the other series.Stop being modest. I want material ready for the bulletin board. Come on now..... That's no fun! Go buy your damn Octopus.
DarkReign
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Stop being modest. I want material ready for the bulletin board. Come on now..... That's no fun! Go buy your damn Octopus.
Haha....
Yeah, well, I have a couple superstitions about hockey like no other sport. So far this year I havent written or said what I think the Wings will do in each series. That is, no predictions.
Suffice to say I want to keep the mojo working.
DarkReign
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh, but I do think Dallas is an excellent team. By far the best team the Wings will have played these playoffs.
The series comes down to Turco, IMO. This would be the last demon the Stars have to shed.
Obstructed_View
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh, but I do think Dallas is an excellent team. By far the best team the Wings will have played these playoffs.
The series comes down to Turco, IMO. This would be the last demon the Stars have to shed.
The Stars have to shed both the Turco demon as well as the wings/Ozzie demon, and there will never be a bigger challenge than this one. As a Spurs fan, there isn't a team in the NBA that scares me. As a Stars fan, I completely dread the Redwings. I'm way past ever thinking that the Stars can beat them, no matter how much better the team might be on paper.
I feel better about the Spurs' chances against New Orleans down 0-2 than I do about the Stars.
lefty
05-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Stars will beat the Red Wings.
The old Detroit goaltending will be destroyed by Ribeiro and Richards.
Stars in 6.
u2sarajevo
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Just for DarkReign..... ;)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res72si9/DallasMavsImages/redwingssuck.wav
Obstructed_View
05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Stars will beat the Red Wings.
The old Detroit goaltending will be destroyed by Ribeiro and Richards.
Stars in 6.
The Stars had a shot at Osgood at least once before, and they couldn't beat him.
lefty
05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
The Stars had a shot at Osgood at least once before, and they couldn't beat him.
Yeah, but I'm not impressed with Oz this season.
Morrow, Richards, Ribs.....Lindstrom & co better do their jobs defensively.
And by the way, 8-2 to close their West Semis? WTF Colorado?:rollin
DarkReign
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Just for DarkReign..... ;)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res72si9/DallasMavsImages/redwingssuck.wav
:lmao
DarkReign
05-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Stars will beat the Red Wings.
The old Detroit goaltending will be destroyed by Ribeiro and Richards.
Stars in 6.
There hasnt been any one player with the ability to "destroy" any facet of the Wings game this year. I expect the trend to continue, especially with some Leastern conference player like Richards.
u2sarajevo
05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Giggle....
Richards has been a luxury for sure.
I expect the Stars to be taken care of in 6. But the one thing I will say is that the team has faced pretty bad odds every round and proven many wrong. It will certainly be fun.
Anyone know if the Stars are in HD tonight? 05/07/08 game
u2sarajevo
05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Anyone know if the Stars are in HD tonight? 05/07/08 gameThey play tomorrow night. 6PM CST puck drop on Versus. And yes, in HD.
oh ok...THANKS.
I had it in my head it was tonight.
u2sarajevo
05-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Here is the Schedule:
Thu May 8, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:30 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Sat May 10, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:00 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Mon May 12, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Wed May 14, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Sat May 17, 2008 Stars Red Wings 12:30 PM CBC (HD),NBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Mon May 19, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Wed May 21, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:30 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
CBC is some Canadian "News, Sports and Entertainment" channel. RDS is another Canadian sports network from what I can tell (http://www.rds.ca/). TSN is the Canadian ESPN.
Apparently puck drops at 6:30 on thursday not 6PM as reported earlier by some idiot poster.
Perfect!
Man I like those starting times!!!!!
DarkReign
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, those arent too bad.
8pm EST is a luxury compared to what the Wings fans usually have to endure playing in the West.
Fuck Calgary/Vancouver/SanJose/Anaheim/LA
DBryant88
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Lets go Red Wings!!! Wings will close out the series today! Book It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woo!! Detroit's # One
lefty
05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Here is the Schedule:
Thu May 8, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:30 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Sat May 10, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:00 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Mon May 12, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Wed May 14, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)
Sat May 17, 2008 Stars Red Wings 12:30 PM CBC (HD),NBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Mon May 19, 2008 Red Wings Stars 7:00 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Wed May 21, 2008 Stars Red Wings 6:30 PM VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
CBC is some Canadian "News, Sports and Entertainment" channel. RDS is another Canadian sports network from what I can tell (http://www.rds.ca/). TSN is the Canadian ESPN.
Apparently puck drops at 6:30 on thursday not 6PM as reported earlier by some idiot poster.
TSN is the Canadian ESPN, and RDS is the French Canadian TSN, which makes it the French ESPN.
Similar logos, Sportcenter, etc....
The major differnce with ESPN? More hockey :D
lefty
05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Remember that South Park Episode (Stanley Cup), with the Pee Wee team being destroyed by the Red Wings ? :lmao:lmao
Even Mike Babcock was in it :rollin
DarkReign
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Remember that South Park Episode (Stanley Cup), with the Pee Wee team being destroyed by the Red Wings ? :lmao:lmao
Even Mike Babcock was in it :rollin
Really? Never seen it....huh...
DBryant88
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Remember that South Park Episode (Stanley Cup), with the Pee Wee team being destroyed by the Red Wings ? :lmao:lmao
Even Mike Babcock was in it :rollin
hell yeah i loved that episode
lefty
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Really? Never seen it....huh...
Too bad, because the way it ends is fucking amazing !
The episode is easy to find on the web; I think the title is " The Stanley Cup "
Obstructed_View
05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but I'm not impressed with Oz this season.
Yeah, but he wasn't very impressive the last time he suddenly turned into a world-beater against Dallas either. He was a backup with no experience who couldn't handle a bouncing puck.
And it looks like I'm listening to the game on WBAP during commercials of the Spurs game since I don't have versus.
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, but I'm not impressed with Oz this season.
Why?
Just curious since his stats have been better than Turco's all year long.
lefty
05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Why?
Just curious since his stats have been better than Turco's all year long.
Maybe
But Turco has been amazing in the 08 playoffs
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Maybe
But Turco has been amazing in the 08 playoffs
Yes, he has. And yet Ozzie's stats are still better than Marty's.
Amazing, indeed.
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-08-2008, 12:08 AM
And as well as these two goalies are playing right now, they are both capable of laying an egg in this next series.
u2sarajevo
05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm going to change my prediction to Wings in 5 after reading this little tidbit...
-In 4 games against the Wings this season, we managed 5 goals total.
-They(Red Wings) out shoot teams by 10 or 15 shots a game. The Red wings out shot their competition this year by 890 shots. 890!!! The next closest team after that outshot their competition by 455. The Stars outshot their opponents by 50 shots total this year.Not to say we don't have a shot. But if you are just now hopping on the bandwagon I wouldn't get too comfy.
Go Stars.
DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
The shot totals have been ridiculous all year.
In the ten games the Wings have played in these playoffs, they've out shot their opponents by 142 shots. They're averaging 39 shots/game while only giving up 25/game.
They've been relentless thus far. We'll see if it continues.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Wings in Six.
Obstructed_View
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
If there were a way for the Redwings to win this thing in less than four games, I'd believe it. If you can't keep Turco from facing shots, or if you can't keep from turning the puck over, you can't win. At least this game is over in plenty of time for tipoff of the Spurs game.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Ozzy! Ozzy! Ozzy!
Great game Ozzy:toast
cnyc3
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
wings in 4.. maybe 5
Biggems
05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Go Penguins
lefty
05-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Ozzy on fire !
Go Wings !
dg7md
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
What was that, Ribeiro?!
Looks like Wings in 5. :|
Burn531
05-10-2008, 08:44 PM
2 more wins!
dg7md
05-10-2008, 08:59 PM
2 more wins!
Yeah, we are completely out of synch offensively, unless they do a drastic turnaround we are done in 4-5.
Marklar MM
05-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Ribeiro will most likely be suspended after his whack at Osgood.
gwteGUN0sUY
Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Ribeiro will most likely be suspended after his whack at Osgood.
gwteGUN0sUY
I can't see it in the Video but The Stars players are claiming Ozzy gave him the end of his stick as he was skating in.
Marklar MM
05-11-2008, 11:16 AM
I can't see it in the Video but The Stars players are claiming Ozzy gave him the end of his stick as he was skating in.
He was bumping Ribeiro off who was going full speed to nail Lidstrom into the boards. He got him with a piece of the butt. But whatever happened, Ribeiro overreacted immensely and took a hack at Osgood.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
He was bumping Ribeiro off who was going full speed to nail Lidstrom into the boards. He got him with a piece of the butt. But whatever happened, Ribeiro overreacted immensely and took a hack at Osgood.
I figured they were just trying to keep him from being suspended. I watched it live and couldn't even tell if Ozzy poked him or not be he was foolish to slash Ozzy.
lefty
05-11-2008, 04:14 PM
This is why Montreal got rid of Ribs.
He is trouble and always acts like a dick in the playoffs
PNw8ZZT8tOU
Marklar MM
05-11-2008, 09:56 PM
No suspensions. Osgood, Ott, and Rabeiro fined.
Obstructed_View
05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Nobody deserved a suspension. Ozzy was stupid for doing what he did, and his soccer style flailing after getting hit was almost as embarassing as his explanation afterward. When your team is having their way, you don't give the other guys any reason to rally with a play like that. He certainly deserved to get whacked, but Ribeiro should have known better than to let himself get suckered into taking a cheap shot. I really figured Ribeiro was going to be the one to get suspended. You don't put your life in the hands of the league office in a situation like that.
lefty
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Nobody deserved a suspension. Ozzy was stupid for doing what he did, and his soccer style flailing after getting hit was almost as embarassing as his explanation afterward. When your team is having their way, you don't give the other guys any reason to rally with a play like that. He certainly deserved to get whacked, but Ribeiro should have known better than to let himself get suckered into taking a cheap shot. I really figured Ribeiro was going to be the one to get suspended. You don't put your life in the hands of the league office in a situation like that.
Yeah I saw the video again this morning, and Ozzy acted like a dick as well
DarkReign
05-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I wouldnt have had any problems with the entire sequence if Osgood hadnt been shot by a sniper in the rafters at the end.
Other than that, big whoop. Im glad no one was suspended, less excuses that way.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
http://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/datsyuk_det_tall.jpg
pavel datsyuk Hat trick:toast
Obstructed_View
05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I wouldnt have had any problems with the entire sequence if Osgood hadnt been shot by a sniper in the rafters at the end.
Other than that, big whoop. Im glad no one was suspended, less excuses that way.
Yeah, the beatdown is more complete with Ribeiro there for it. Guess Marty figured he might as well shut it down since he's had a career playoff run.
lefty
05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Pavel+Henrik = :wow
Marklar MM
05-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Pavel+Henrik = :wow
Well...they were both Selke finalists. :toast
lefty
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice stories
3. April 16, 1954: Game 7, Stanley Cup finals vs. Montreal (2-1 OT win)
It was an epic battle between the NHL's top two teams, Detroit and Montreal, and the league's top two players, Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard. The Canadiens were the defending champs and had overcome a 3-1 series deficit to force a Game 7. In the final game, 60 minutes of hockey wasn't enough and overtime was needed to determine a champion. On this night, it wasn't Howe or Richard who made the difference; it was Tony Leswick. Four minutes into overtime, Leswick, a diminutive winger from Saskatchewan, dumped the puck high in the air toward the Montreal net on a line change. Doug Harvey accidentally tipped the puck past Habs goalie Gerry McNeil to hand the Wings the championship, marking the most bizarre finish for a championship game. No Game 7 in the Cup finals has gone to overtime since.
2. April 15, 1952: Game 4, Stanley Cup finals vs. Montreal (3-0 win)
On this night, the legend of the octopus began. Detroit was on the verge of winning its eighth straight playoff game to capture the Stanley Cup when brothers Pete and Jerry Cusimano, owners of a fish store in Detroit's Eastern Market, hurled a dead octopus onto the ice at Olympia Stadium. The tentacles of the octopus represented the Wings' playoff wins. That night completed one of the greatest playoff runs in NHL history, led by the legendary Production Line of Gordie Howe, Sid Abel and Ted Lindsay and Hall of Fame goalie Terry Sawchuk. Detroit became the first team in 17 years to go undefeated in the postseason. The Wings swept both Toronto and Montreal en route to the Cup, outscoring them collectively 24-5. This game featured complete domination by the Wings and the birth of a new tradition in which an eight-legged friend has helped bring Lord Stanley's Cup to Motown a number of times.
Burn531
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Nice win Dallas. Hopefully the Wings close them out at home.
lefty
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Pens got to take care of business and finish off the Flyers.
I'm excited about Pens vs Wings Finals.
The US might actually watch it....
Can't wait, it will be amazing.
If U.S watch it, the commish will be more than happy
Obstructed_View
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice win Dallas. Hopefully the Wings close them out at home.
Too bad it was bullshit. The Stars got their gift from the hockey gods, and were at least able to turn that into a win. Fuck 'em if they can't do something more with it, though. I fully expect the 'wings to act like pros and close them out instead of whining about how they got rooked (and they did).
Strange how Marty suddenly plays well when he's facing a ton of shots. Maybe that's the trick.
lefty
05-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Stars say alive by winning @ Detroit.
It's now 3-2 Red Wings.
Game 6 in Dallas will be huge
dallaskd
05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
stars baby!!!
lefty
05-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Russia wins the World Title, beating Canada on their home ice.
And Canada was leading 3-1 :lmao
Biggems
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
GO PENGUINS.........waiting for the winner of Dallas/Detwaw to compete for the Cup
Marklar MM
05-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Detroit is up 4-0 after 2 periods against Dallas.
Looks like its Wings/Penguins for the Stanley.
Marklar MM
05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Its official. Wings vs. Penguins
Burn531
05-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Game 1 is Saturday at the Joe. Should be a fun series.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
a nice final series.
may the best team win.
I'm hoping Pens can start some sort of dynasty and keep that core together for years.
It's not their time yet Wings in 6:toast
Vinnie_Johnson
05-24-2008, 12:33 AM
http://info.detnews.com/dn/pix/wallpaper/wings/2004/zetterberg1.jpg
lefty
05-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Go Red Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings !!!!!!:toast
dg7md
05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Wings in 5... Didn't even really watch this game due to the Unbeatable Banzuke marathon on G4 going on.
Burn531
05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
I may be watching Game 2 instead of Game 4(Pistons) because at least 1 Detroit team knows how to win.
Vinnie_Johnson
05-25-2008, 12:49 AM
I may be watching Game 2 instead of Game 4(Pistons) because at least 1 Detroit team knows how to win.
+1 But Pistons will roll in game 4.:toast
Vinnie_Johnson
05-25-2008, 12:53 AM
So nice to see Stevie Y there to drop the puck today:toast
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/hockey/nhl/07/03/yzerman.retires/t1_yzermantrophy.jpg
lefty
05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
That shit is over.
Just give the trophy to Detroit already :toast
And the Conn Smythe to Ozzie.
And the Oscar to Ozzie.
And expect Ty Conklin to start game 3 for Pittsburgh
DarkReign
05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
That shit is over.
Just give the trophy to Detroit already :toast
And the Conn Smythe to Ozzie.
And the Oscar to Ozzie.
And expect Ty Conklin to start game 3 for Pittsburgh
"Theres a tear,
In my beer."
:lmao
lefty
05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Ratings rise for Stanley Cup finals opener
Associated Press
Updated: May 25, 2008, 10:20 PM ET
STAMFORD, Conn. -- The Detroit Red Wings' victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals opener was the highest-rated and most-watched cable telecast of the championship round in six years.
The Red Wings' 4-0 win on Saturday night had a 1.8 national rating -- drawing over 2.3 million viewers. The rating was the highest for an NHL game on Versus, topping the audience that watched the Penguins' Game 2 victory over Philadelphia in this year's Eastern Conference finals.
Only Lance Armstrong's final ride in the 2005 Tour de France had a higher rating in Versus history (2.1).
Versus will show Game 2 of the finals on Monday night before the series shifts to NBC for the remaining games.
The Game 1 rating is a 157 percent increase over last year's opener and a 100 percent rise from two years ago.
T Park
05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Good to hear Hockey's ratings are up.
Now if they would go back to ESPN on the cable side of things, I think they could capitalize on that.
lefty
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Good to hear Hockey's ratings are up.
Now if they would go back to ESPN on the cable side of things, I think they could capitalize on that.
:tu
lefty
05-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Wings up 3-1 :toast
Zetterberg was fan-tas-tic
Lidstrom with an opportunity to become the 1st European captain to win tge Stanley Cup :hat
Marklar MM
06-01-2008, 12:29 AM
This series is over. BOOK IT!
misterx91578
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Pens stay alive winning game 5 in triple ot 4-3
Biggems
06-03-2008, 12:42 AM
My Penguins are showin some heart....Fleury is a beast out there. His offense is putting him in a world of trouble with all those turnovers right in front of him.....but he is saving their stupid asses.
Fleury needs to go into that lockerroom and beat down all those fools who keep giving the puck back to detroit inside the penguins zone.
And thank goodness we finally ran a powerplay correctly. after that 5 on 3 debacle in game 4...and the way they were acting like complete idiots out there tonight....i didnt think they would ever run a crisp power play during this series....
Now the series is going back to the Igloo.......
GO PENGUINS
dg7md
06-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Great game... I want a 7 game series out of this.
Biggems
06-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Great game... I want a 7 game series out of this.
so do I......if the Pens can win game 6....that would be awesome. Sure would make for an epic game 7.
you know if it goes 7, Detroit is going to be attacking like rabid wolves all game long. Pittsburgh will have to bring its A++++++++ game to withstand the onslaught that Detroit will try and bring.
GO PENGUINS
lefty
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Fucking Maxime Talbot
What a game ..........
Biggems
06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Pittsburgh needs to put a missing person's report out on Malkin.....I haven't seen him in 2-3 weeks. I think he has been abducted by aliens or something. I think the Penguins are doing great considering he has been MIA all series.
DarkReign
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Boo-fucking-hoo.
Epic game. Horrible outcome.
Pens are being outplayed in every facet of the game for 3 games straight, yet theyve won 2 of them.
Thats hockey. No other sport is like that (maybe soccer, wouldnt know, it sucks). Because you play better, have better chances, dominate play and quite literally run the other team off the ice does not mean you win.
Funny game, at times.
lefty
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Triple-OT showdown draws highest ratings for Game 5 since 2002
Associated Press
Updated: June 3, 2008, 5:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
NEW YORK -- The triple-overtime thriller in the Stanley Cup finals Monday night drew the highest ratings for a Game 5 since 2002.
The Pittsburgh Penguins' 4-3 win to avoid elimination against the Detroit Red Wings earned a 4.3 overnight rating and an 8 share on NBC. That's a 79 percent increase over last year's 2.4 for Game 5 between Anaheim and Ottawa.
It was the best Game 5 rating since the Carolina-Detroit matchup in 2002 drew a 4.5.
Game 4 on Saturday earned a 2.3 national rating and 5 share, up 21 percent over last year's 1.9.
The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into the broadcast among those households with TVs on at the time. Overnight ratings measure the country's largest markets.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
lefty
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Boo-fucking-hoo.
Epic game. Horrible outcome.
Pens are being outplayed in every facet of the game for 3 games straight, yet theyve won 2 of them.
Thats hockey. No other sport is like that (maybe soccer, wouldnt know, it sucks). Because you play better, have better chances, dominate play and quite literally run the other team off the ice does not mean you win.
Funny game, at times.
"Theres a tear,
In my beer."
:lmao
DarkReign
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
"Theres a tear,
In my beer."
:lmao
Very very apt quote.
Impressive.
N.Y. Johnny
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Good to hear Hockey's ratings are up.
Now if they would go back to ESPN on the cable side of things, I think they could capitalize on that.
Thats for sure too, damn its a shame I don't get VS
That used to be the "Outdoor Life" network I think , man that sucks.
lefty
06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Very very apt quote.
Impressive.
Boo-hoo
lefty
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Always nice to see one of the Original 6 winning the Cup :toast
Happy for Datsyuk , Zetterberg and Lidstrom; great hard workers :toast:toast
Lidstrom is the 1st European Captain to win the Cup :toast:toast:toast
Zetterberg is COnn Smythe; well deserved, great D on Crosby :toast:toast:toast:toast
lefty
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Really? Never seen it....huh...
Here it is.
Obviously, this episode was a prophecy :wow:wow:wow
I mean, in the episode of South Park, Red Wings beat a pee-wee team to win the Cup!
And Red Wings beat Pittsburgh, a young team.
And, as I said, Babclock is in it
SZPfLfpEmP0
DarkReign
06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/sports/2008/redwings/06042008_wingscup/2008-0604-dg-DetPitt1156.jpg
DarkReign
06-06-2008, 05:44 PM
http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=C3&Dato=20080606&Kategori=METRO&Lopenr=806060423&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&Q=100&MaxW=640&MaxH=350&noborder
http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20080606&Category=METRO&ArtNo=806060423&Ref=H3
http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/sports/2008/redwings/wings-rally-parade_06062008/w-008.jpg
http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/sports/2008/redwings/wings-rally-parade_06062008/w-0018.jpg
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.