PDA

View Full Version : Joey Crawford?

smahmood26
11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Is he allowed to officiate any of the Spurs games? Has he already, I haven't heard anything about it yet. Just wondering.

phyzik
11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
not yet, but its bound to happen soon..... probably Thursday no less.

urunobili
11-12-2007, 09:37 AM
he officiated last night the Piston @ the Sonics

ShoogarBear
11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Speaking of which, as one of the fallouts from Tim Donaghy, the NBA is reportedly posting the refs for each night's games at 0900 on nba.com. Haven't been able to find them yet myself.

FromWayDowntown
11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Speaking of which, as one of the fallouts from Tim Donaghy, the NBA is reportedly posting the refs for each night's games at 0900 on nba.com. Haven't been able to find them yet myself.

http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html

It's listed each morning. Roll over the NEWS link at the top of the page and menu will come up with a number of choices, including Referee Assignments.

It's actually been somewhat interesting to me to see how the league assigns officials. There are clearly just a handful of crew chiefs and they are basically the usual suspects: Bavetta, Callahan, Clark, the Crawford brothers, Delaney, Derosa, Forte, Garretson, Javie, Mauer, Rush, and Salvatore. There are also a few surprises among the crew chiefs, including some up-and-comers like Scott Foster, Monty McCutchen, Tom Washington, and Mark Wunderlich. Tonight, Bill Spooner will be crew chief for the first time in 2007-08. Also, Jack Nies has been a crew chief for a few games, but is now back to working mostly as a second official.

I hadn't heard anything about it, but it also appears that Greg Willard, who called Game 5 of the West Finals last year, is not calling games this season -- I'd be surprised if he had been fired, and it may just be that he's injured, 1 but for whatever reason, he's yet to call a game this season. And somehow, Tim Donaghy has also disappeared from the officiating ranks . . . .

timvp
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I hadn't heard anything about it, but it also appears that Greg Willard, who called Game 5 of the West Finals last year, is not calling games this season -- I'd be surprised if he had been firedHe also reffed the same game that Donaghy did in the Spurs-Suns series. After the game, the Suns and their fans were saying Willard was crooked.

It is interesting that he just disappeared . . .

FromWayDowntown
11-12-2007, 06:58 PM
He also reffed the same game that Donaghy did in the Spurs-Suns series. After the game, the Suns and their fans were saying Willard was crooked.

It is interesting that he just disappeared . . .

Yeah, I really don't know what to make of it. Willard has, for years, been considered one of the up-and-coming officials. He's not ever been in the top 12 that does Finals games, but he's consistently been in the top 18 that do Conference Finals games for about 3 or 4 years at least. That's some pretty lofty company among NBA officials.

I can only remember one highly-regarded official -- Ted Bernhardt -- who had a similarly inexplicable absence, but at least Bernhardt could be attributed to the grief he caught for calling a controversial foul that deprived Michael Jordan of one last MJ Moment in an All-Star Game. I'm not sure that Willard really has the same sort of issue.

Until I hear otherwise, I'll presume that there's just some sort of injury with Willard. I guess we'll see eventually.