PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Bucks - Nov. 11

timvp
11-12-2007, 12:37 AM
-The Spurs played with a lot of energy tonight and came out with a purpose to bury the Bucks. It's almost like the Spurs were mad at the Bucks and were trying to prove a point. Perhaps it dates back to last year when the Bucks beat the Spurs twice and made the Spurs look bad in doing so.

Something was up because since when do you see Pop using a full court press with the Spurs up by 30? Either there was some bad blood or maybe the Spurs just didn't want to lose to the Bucks again. Either way, it was very good energy and the Spurs dropped the hammer on Milwaukee.

-First off, on the Bucks I have to give props to Yi Jianlian. That kid is going to be good. His jumper is a thing of beauty and he has good athleticism. There's some question about his true age but if he's really only 20-years-old like he claims, he has a chance to be special. He's a lot like Andrea Bargnani of the Raptors but I think Yi has better potential and better natural skills to work with.

-Tim Duncan played his second straight very good game. 16 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks without playing in the fourth is pretty impressive. He was active and into the game. Defensively, it might have been his best game of the season.

-Not sure words can describe how well Manu Ginobili is playing right now. Whenever you have more points than minutes played, you know your offense is flowing. Whatever injury that limited him in the first half of the Hornets game looked fully healed. Right now, Ginobili is playing at a higher level than just about anyone in the NBA. If he can play like this in the playoffs, the Spurs will be an amazingly hard out.

-Tony Parker did a good job of setting the attacking tone of the game. He relentlessly attacked the basket and single-handedly destroyed whatever defense the Bucks thought they could play on the Spurs. Milwaukee was switching pick-and-rolls and Parker made that defense look silly. I continue to be impressed about how much stronger Parker looks compared to last year.

-If Bruce Bowen doesn't win the Defensive Player of the Year this season, they should just cancel that award. He's played fantastic defense all year and this game against the Bucks, he managed to hold Michael Redd to five shots in 30 minutes. That's just sick defense against a guy who puts up tons of shots each game.

-It was good to see Michael Finley get rolling. For the first time this year, he looked like a player who could actually help the team. I’ve been pretty happy with his defense this year but if Finley can’t hit shots, he’s not really worth having on the court.

-Fabricio Oberto didn’t play much but he was effective in the minutes he did play. He just outsmarted the young bigs on the Bucks.

-While his stats look good, I wasn’t overly impressed with Francisco Elson. He was out of position constantly defensively and offensively missed a few bunnies around the bucket. He’s playing better than he did last year but he needs to continue to sharpen his game if he hopes to be a big part of the playoff run.

-Matt Bonner’s funk continues. I’m not sure what’s wrong with his offense but he just seems totally uncomfortable on the court. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s just over thinking everything. The good news was his rebounding was much improved as was his defense – from horrible to bad.

-Ime Udoka got a lot of minutes and showed some good and some bad. The good is that his one-on-one defensive skills are apparent and he has some nice Mario Elie/Raja Bell type toughness to him. The bad is he’s still early in the learning process. Offensively, I think he went from shooting too much to not shooting enough. Defensively, his rotations are still a step slow. That said, he’s getting better about the team concepts each game out.

-I continue to be impressed by the competitiveness and fearlessness that Darius Washington shows on the court. Sure, he has flaws in his game, but he’s going to lay it all out on the line. He’s a bulldog of a point guard who hopefully can refine his game and become a good backup one day.

-It’s hard not to get excited about Ian Mahinmi. I know he wasn’t exactly playing against Wilt Chamerlain and Bill Russell out there but his raw talents are impressive. He can run, jump and finishes with authority. Mahinmi also has the timing to be a good shotblocker and he was much better tonight in terms of playing Spurs defense. Mahinmi, so far, has shown about everything that a Spurs fan could have hoped. Now we just have to hope that he can continue to improve because if he does, there’s no reason why he can’t one day be a rotational NBA player.

mando6599
11-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks, TiMVP for those. I don't get to see the games up here in Arlington, TX other than nationally televised games. Those kind of observations really give me some insight into what's happening in each game, keep 'em coming.

SpursFanFirst
11-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks, Timvp. I watched most of the game, but it's always nice to read these follow-ups. I enjoy these more than the grades from before...less room for people to argue about whether a particular grade was fair or not.

Anyway, forgive my ignorance, but I'm curious. With Mahinmi playing the minutes he's getting, do you think he's here to stay, or is there still a chance he's heading to Austin once some of our injured people get back on the court?

traitoravery
11-12-2007, 12:54 AM

T Park
11-12-2007, 01:12 AM
I think the excitement on Washington and Mahinmi is getting tempered on purpose.

timvp
11-12-2007, 01:15 AM
With Mahinmi playing the minutes he's getting, do you think he's here to stay, or is there still a chance he's heading to Austin once some of our injured people get back on the court?Mahinmi will be going to Austin for sure at some point this season. The Toros' season starts in a little over two weeks and I'd say there's a really good chance Mahinmi will be in Austin at that time.

The timing will mostly be dependent on when Horry's ready to come back. Actually, the Spurs might send Mahinmi to Austin when Vaughn is ready to come back, which should be any day now.

But yeah, it's 100% that Mahinmi will go to Austin at some point. The only question remaining is when that will be.

T Park
11-12-2007, 01:20 AM
I liked Washington's agressiveness tonight.

He seems to have trouble getting the team into its offensive sets, wich is huge in the playoffs.

Love his defense, love the agressiveness, love the rebounding.

He has GOT to learn to dial it down a notch though he is just like a bull in a china shop at times.

xamila rey
11-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Mahinmi will be going to Austin for sure at some point this season. The Toros' season starts in a little over two weeks and I'd say there's a really good chance Mahinmi will be in Austin at that time.

The timing will mostly be dependent on when Horry's ready to come back. Actually, the Spurs might send Mahinmi to Austin when Vaughn is ready to come back, which should be any day now.

But yeah, it's 100% that Mahinmi will go to Austin at some point. The only question remaining is when that will be.
Spurs notebook: Mahinmi likely to join Toros
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.111207..BKN_spurs_notebook.EN.39750d7.html

Web Posted: 11/12/2007 12:15 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

With training camps under way for National Basketball Development League teams, NBA teams are able to assign eligible players to their D League affiliates.
Eventually, the Spurs will assign rookie forward Ian Mahinmi, their first-round pick in the 2005 draft, to the NBDL's Austin Toros. For a while longer, however, Mahinmi will remain with the Spurs.

"I'll probably put it off a bit," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after Mahinmi scored his rookie-season high 12 points and blocked two shots in 10 minutes, 26 seconds in the Spurs' Sunday night victory over the Milwaukee Bucks at the AT&T Center. "They're in their initial practice sessions and they're doing two-a-days, and (he doesn't) need to do that. So Ian will probably stick with us for a while longer."

Popovich likes what Mahinmi has done in his limited court time thus far. The 6-foot-10 forward from France, who recently turned 21, missed the summer after suffering a shoulder injury.

Because the Spurs own the Toros they have considerable say in how much playing time he will get in Austin.

"He's a very competitive young man," Popovich said. "He possesses good athleticism as far as running the court and getting to the basketball, that kind of stuff. He's improved his moves down on the block steadily as he's been playing with this caliber of player." (..)

remingtonbo2001
11-12-2007, 01:28 AM
I believe I predicted this win. In Blowout Fashion.

I'm too lazy to find the post.

Trust me! :lol

Darkwaters
11-12-2007, 02:31 AM
Nice thoughts timvp. I definitely enjoy reading your insights into the team and I definitely hope you keep it up. I liked the grades, but I like this as well.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-12-2007, 02:58 AM
-While his stats look good, I wasn’t overly impressed with Francisco Elson. He was out of position constantly defensively and offensively missed a few bunnies around the bucket. He’s playing better than he did last year but he needs to continue to sharpen his game if he hopes to be a big part of the playoff run.

I agree.

I hope he gets with the program more and more with his mental game, but he is doing a lot better this year as far as being active goes. He's also made work of his jump shot, which is always a plus.
He kind of sucked on a couple plays offensively, like he was a little lost in knowing what to do.

I think he's capable of being adequate and cooperative on both ends though, so there's still hope as his second year plays out. He should always try to finish with a dunk though. Because his lay ups sucked.

Admidave50
11-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Nice to see you recognize Yi's talent!

I've been satisfied with everyone on the team tonight except Bonner and Udoka. Ime looked clueless sometimes in offense, but that's fine he's still learning.

It was the first time that I saw Ian playing with so many minutes, he sure looks really promising! Hope all the new guys will continue to improve and not be the next Beno!

SpursIndonesia
11-12-2007, 03:13 AM
-First off, on the Bucks I have to give props to Yi Jianlian. That kid is going to be good. His jumper is a thing of beauty and he has good athleticism. There's some question about his true age but if he's really only 20-years-old like he claims, he has a chance to be special. He's a lot like Andrea Bargnani of the Raptors but I think Yi has better potential and better natural skills to work with.

From the info in some Asian BBall forum, especially from Sina.com & Sohu.com, many chinese fans believe that the real age of Yi Jian Lian is around 22 yrs old -born in 1985.

That's why the chinese government allowed him to go overseas while his official age is just 20 yrs old, unlike Yao. They know his age actually 2 yrs older and already deserve to play in NBA.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2007, 04:17 AM
I think there's no doubt that both Ian and Darius will be in Austin as soon as everyone is healthy on the Spurs and the Toros are done with their two-a-days. Both show potential but each is raw in his own way and they will benefit immensely from the extended practice and regular playing time they will get there.

smeagol
11-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Bonner's D sucks.

Even I can see that!

SAGambler
11-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Something was up because since when do you see Pop using a full court press with the Spurs up by 30? Either there was some bad blood or maybe the Spurs just didn't want to lose to the Bucks again.

Maybe this is Pops new tactic to keep the Spurs from becoming a bit lazy once they get a big lead. Maybe Pop is tired of watching 18, 20 point leads fade, and this is how he has decided to address that problem.

SAGambler
11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Bonner's D sucks.

Even I can see that!

Yeah, but his hustle doesn't. Plus he always a three point threat. With Manu, Washington, and Bonner on the floor, every loose ball will be gone after with balls to the wall energy.

easjer
11-12-2007, 09:03 AM
I agree with the folks who say they like your random thoughts in place of grades. I have seen every game so far and enjoy reading your thoughts after.

On Bonner - I agree his offense is off, and I hope he gets it back before Horry is worked regularly into the rotation, or it may never come back full strength this season due to nerves (much like Brent Barry, I think). I was pleased with the other aspects of his play. He seemed to be hustling a lot more to me - rebounds definitely improved and he saved a few balls (not many that went back in, but at least they had the opportunity). I don't mind him staying out there if he continues to do little things, but it will help them more if he can actually legitimately spread the floor.

On Ian and DWash - I hope they go down to DLeague. Last night's exciting performance from them only reiterated that for me. I like them both very much, and am very excited about their future prospects. But to continue to improve and allow us to really see that unfold, I would think the thing they need most is regular, supervised playing time.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Parker's grade is too high.

Spurs Brazil
11-12-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm impressed with DW, he's a very tough kid and will only get better

I think the Spurs found a really good PG

1Parker1
11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I really hope they keep Washington around. I have a sinking feeling in my stomach that Vaughn is going to choke come playoff time. I still think that last year's run he just got lucky in that he made a couple shots and didn't get in the way too much of running the team's offense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
missed a few bunnies around the bucket
:lol

meta2007
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Manu is unique!

Not sure words can describe how well Manu Ginobili is playing right now. Whenever you have more points than minutes played, you know your offense is flowing. Whatever injury that limited him in the first half of the Hornets game looked fully healed. Right now, Ginobili is playing at a higher level than just about anyone in the NBA. If he can play like this in the playoffs, the Spurs will be an amazingly hard out.

SenorSpur
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
-The Spurs played with a lot of energy tonight and came out with a purpose to bury the Bucks. It's almost like the Spurs were mad at the Bucks and were trying to prove a point. Perhaps it dates back to last year when the Bucks beat the Spurs twice and made the Spurs look bad in doing so.

Something was up because since when do you see Pop using a full court press with the Spurs up by 30? Either there was some bad blood or maybe the Spurs just didn't want to lose to the Bucks again. Either way, it was very good energy and the Spurs dropped the hammer on Milwaukee.

-Tim Duncan played his second straight very good game. 16 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks without playing in the fourth is pretty impressive. He was active and into the game. Defensively, it might have been his best game of the season.

-Not sure words can describe how well Manu Ginobili is playing right now. Whenever you have more points than minutes played, you know your offense is flowing. Whatever injury that limited him in the first half of the Hornets game looked fully healed. Right now, Ginobili is playing at a higher level than just about anyone in the NBA. If he can play like this in the playoffs, the Spurs will be an amazingly hard out.

-Tony Parker did a good job of setting the attacking tone of the game. He relentlessly attacked the basket and single-handedly destroyed whatever defense the Bucks thought they could play on the Spurs. Milwaukee was switching pick-and-rolls and Parker made that defense look silly. I continue to be impressed about how much stronger Parker looks compared to last year.

-If Bruce Bowen doesn't win the Defensive Player of the Year this season, they should just cancel that award. He's played fantastic defense all year and this game against the Bucks, he managed to hold Michael Redd to five shots in 30 minutes. That's just sick defense against a guy who puts up tons of shots each game.

-It was good to see Michael Finley get rolling. For the first time this year, he looked like a player who could actually help the team. I’ve been pretty happy with his defense this year but if Finley can’t hit shots, he’s not really worth having on the court.

-Fabricio Oberto didn’t play much but he was effective in the minutes he did play. He just outsmarted the young bigs on the Bucks.

-Matt Bonner’s funk continues. I’m not sure what’s wrong with his offense but he just seems totally uncomfortable on the court. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s just over thinking everything. The good news was his rebounding was much improved as was his defense – from horrible to bad.

-Ime Udoka got a lot of minutes and showed some good and some bad. The good is that his one-on-one defensive skills are apparent and he has some nice Mario Elie/Raja Bell type toughness to him. The bad is he’s still early in the learning process. Offensively, I think he went from shooting too much to not shooting enough. Defensively, his rotations are still a step slow. That said, he’s getting better about the team concepts each game out.

-I continue to be impressed by the competitiveness and fearlessness that Darius Washington shows on the court. Sure, he has flaws in his game, but he’s going to lay it all out on the line. He’s a bulldog of a point guard who hopefully can refine his game and become a good backup one day.

-It’s hard not to get excited about Ian Mahinmi. I know he wasn’t exactly playing against Wilt Chamerlain and Bill Russell out there but his raw talents are impressive. He can run, jump and finishes with authority. Mahinmi also has the timing to be a good shotblocker and he was much better tonight in terms of playing Spurs defense. Mahinmi, so far, has shown about everything that a Spurs fan could have hoped. Now we just have to hope that he can continue to improve because if he does, there’s no reason why he can’t one day be a rotational NBA player.

Great stuff Tim!

Enjoy these summaries very much!

2centsworth
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Bonner needs a healthy dosage of soul. His movements are pollution to my eyes.

thispego
11-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Dork (timvp) predicted an annual loss to the bucks didn't he?
it's funny, with the multitude of actual dorks on this forum, that you've decided to label timvp as one. :lol