PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: The many hands of Manu

carina_gino20
11-13-2007, 05:02 AM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2007/11/jeff_mcdonald_t_7.html

November 12, 2007
Jeff McDonald: The many hands of Manu

In his bio in the Spurs media guide, a wise-cracking Brent Barry says he would "give his right arm to be ambidextrous." Not to be outdone, Manu Ginobili is apparently prepared to give a pound of sweat to accomplish the same result.

Ginobili, who is left handed, has stayed late at each of the Spurs past two practice sessions to work alone on shooting -- with his right hand.

It has been, at times, an agonizing affair. At one point, Ginobili missed three right-handed tear-drops in a row, a turn of events that caused him to slam the ball down in frustration. It bounced so high, it nearly hit the ceiling of the Spurs' practice facility.

This, of course, says something about Ginobili. All those wild, acrobatic, he-must-be-crazy circus shots he routinely takes? He expects to make all of them. He's actually surprised -- and sometimes angry -- when he misses.

It will be interesting to see how Ginobili's extra work with his right hand with translate into game action. You could say we'd give our right arm to see it.

smeagol
11-13-2007, 05:39 AM
He should practice his ability of putting mustard in those dogs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2007, 05:51 AM
I can never understand why there are so many one-handed players at ALL levels. :oops

Basketball is a vastly more difficult game if you can't dribble reasonably well, and shoot at least a putback/layup, with your off hand. Stealing and shotblocking is also easier if you can use both hands.

I learned to shoot and dribble with both handed very early, around the basket I can shoot and hook with both hands, and it confuses the hell out of defenders.

That someone can get to a dominant level as a pro with one hand/foot shows how incredibly awesome they are - kudos to Manu and Roy Keane! :lol

However, for the kids, LEARN TO USE BOTH HANDS EARLY! It'll make you a much better player. ;)

Mr. Body
11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Shooting with your off-hand is vastly more difficult than dribbling or poking away a ball with that hand. The mechanics are much more precise; I can't imagine a guard exists in the NBA who can't dribble equally well with both. Shooting's another matter entirely.

maxpower
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I wonder which Spur has the best off-hand.

Duncan had a nice off-hand "being fouled" reverse lay-up against the Bucks. Parker also goes to his left hand on limited occasions. I don't know that I've seen Manu have a memorable right hand score(though I wouldn't doubt he has).

SenorSpur
11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I can never understand why there are so many one-handed players at ALL levels. :oops

Basketball is a vastly more difficult game if you can't dribble reasonably well, and shoot at least a putback/layup, with your off hand. Stealing and shotblocking is also easier if you can use both hands.

I learned to shoot and dribble with both handed very early, around the basket I can shoot and hook with both hands, and it confuses the hell out of defenders.

That someone can get to a dominant level as a pro with one hand/foot shows how incredibly awesome they are - kudos to Manu and Roy Keane! :lol

However, for the kids, LEARN TO USE BOTH HANDS EARLY! It'll make you a much better player. ;)

Most players should start with perfectly a simply layup with their off-hand. A former youth coach of mine once instructed me to always shoot a layup with whichever hand was furtherest away from the basket. For example, the left hand layup when driving to the hoop from the left side and same thing from the right. Utilizing that strategy is more effective because it makes your shot more difficult to block.

Developing that skill led to my desire to extend that development of other left-handed maneuvers. (dribbling, hook shots, etc.)

I've often wondered the same thing about professional ball players who never took that next step. To this day, I'm bothered when I see a player driving to the rim from the left side, only to shoot a right-handed layup. :lol

MI21
11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
What Ruff says is very true. I'm semi ambidextrous (if such a thing exists) in that I'm a right hander, but use my left hand to play pool, hold a gun (Time Crisis), drive a car, play guitar and a few other things. I also happen to be able to dribble and also shoot with my left hand on layups, runners, hooks and floaters just as good as my right. It gives you a big advantage over the defense and can really make up for what a player may lack in athleticsm, size or quickness.

Anyway, I've always wondered why Manu doesn't use his right hand around the rim more. He is actually pretty damn good with it, much better than most left handers are with there right. He often chooses the much more difficult high arching scoop-finger rll with his left, rather than going around the defender with his right. It doesn't matter I guess, because he makes a good % of those tough scoop shots anyway!

Also, Timmy doesn't nearly use his left as much anymore either, while Tony has gone from useless on his left as a rookie, to very very good on it today.

SRJ
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Not only is it beneficial to shoot with both hands, it's fun. I love shooting jumpers left handed. It's frustrating, but the fun kind.

Had I not sprained the ever living hell out of my left foot many years ago, I wouldn't have developed my left hand so well. I could always dribble with my left hand, but I didn't bother shooting with my left hand until the time came that I couldn't use my left foot - and discovered for myself that there is a inverse relationship between the hand you shoot with and the foot you jump with.

Also, Timmy doesn't nearly use his left as much anymore either, while Tony has gone from useless on his left as a rookie, to very very good on it today.

Exactly. It seems like Tim hasn't used his left hand much since his second or third season, and Tony has really expanded his left hand. Tony is still pretty right-handed on his dribble, and I'm surprised Michael Finley's entire left side hasn't atrophied.

Joe Schmoogins
11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
I wonder which Spur has the best off-hand.

Duncan had a nice off-hand "being fouled" reverse lay-up against the Bucks. Parker also goes to his left hand on limited occasions. I don't know that I've seen Manu have a memorable right hand score(though I wouldn't doubt he has).

I remember Manu had a sick right handed dunk against the Pistons in 2005. There have been others, but that dunk stands out in my mind the most right now.

ducks
11-13-2007, 06:40 PM

manu should be able to do both
why he can not is beyond me