PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a good pair of headphones

MaNuMaNiAc
11-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Anybody have recommendations? I'm leaning towards the Edifier H800. They're relatively cheap and judging by the reviews I've read pretty darn good.

Anybody know any other good models?

P.S. Should point out that I'm looking for noise cancelling headphones, not the iPod kind.

Slomo
11-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I've had these for 2 years now:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc2_headphones_index

I love them, won't board a plane without them!

Haven't tested the new QC3, but they are supposed to be even more comfortable.

BacktoBasics
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Best headphones ever.....

Divorce.

Amazingly quiet surrounding.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I've had these for 2 years now:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc2_headphones_index

I love them, won't board a plane without them!

Haven't test the new QC3, but they are supposed to be even more comfortable.Those look awesome! Problem is, they're about $200 over what I was intending to spend :lol

I'm looking for something around the $100

MaNuMaNiAc
11-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Best headphones ever.....

Divorce.

Amazingly quiet surrounding.say what? :oops

leemajors
11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
i got these for $30 off of woot, they're great. they even disassemble into three separate pieces and have a retractable mic.

Slomo
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
sennheiser PXC 150

or

sennheiser PXC 250 (I've seen the 250 for 99$ online)

Sennheiser is one of the best headphone manufacturer period.

dougp
11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
See if you can pick up a pair of these:
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E2c_content

Or the updated version.

Also, check these forums for suggestions:
http://www.goodcans.com/
http://www.head-fi.org/

head-fi is down right now though, due to a server issue - but once it's back up, they can help also.

SrA Husker
11-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a pair of these Sony noise cancelling headphones, had them for awhile now...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=MDRNC6

Overall, I like them especially for the price. It's the only NC pair I've had so I can't compare them to the Bose's of the world, but they work wonders in airplanes and trains and other noisy environments where you can't hear through normal headphones.

Shelly
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
sennheiser PXC 150

or

:tu My husband has the HD 515---loves them!

Kandy is Dandy
11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
If you have an ipod, your ipod headphones work great in your pc. You get great sound quality, and you dont have to spend another dime.

Cry Havoc
11-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Check out head-fi.org

Right now, the site is down, but it is absolutely the best audiophile site on the net that I've found.

If you want to wait to get a really good pair, head-fi should be back up tomorrow. I cannot stress this enough -- these people know as much about headphones as there is to be known. Check them out if you REALLY want a quality pair of cans. You can also buy and sell used headphones on the site.

First of all, Manumaniac, are you looking for active noise canceling or passive? Active noise canceling headphones use actual noise to block out sound. Despite what Bose may tell you, this actually results in a loss of audio quality.

Passive "noise canceling" (or sound isolation, to be more technically accurate) is divided into two distinct methods. The first is the IEM (In-Ear Monitor) which actually places the speaker into your ear canal, also known as earphones. This blocks out almost all noise and functions essentially like an earplug with a speaker. The benefit of this is that you can wear them on airplanes, loud city transits, and you hear almost nothing, at no cost to the sound quality. They also are extremely light and portable headphones and good to take anywhere, and they don't look huge or goofy in public settings.

The other kind of passive sound isolation is the closed headphone. This is the big set of so called "cans" that cover your ear and use heavier materials to deaden outside noise. The downside to this is that they are quite heavy and not nearly as portable. Some models also wear down if used in transit often.

Back to the topic, it also matters what kind of music you are listening to. Do you plan to game on these headphones? What is most important to you? Comfort, sound quality, durability?

If you have an ipod, your ipod headphones work great in your pc. You get great sound quality, and you dont have to spend another dime.

No offense, but the iPod headphones are widely held in the audio industry to be jokes. They aren't comfortable, have little to no bass, and no soundstage. They have screechy highs and a recessed midrange. They also have NO sound isolation.

In that stead, Bose headphones are also known to be quite overrated. They do well because they have a good marketing division. They aren't horrible headphones, mind you, but their active noise canceling does not result in the best sound possible, and you are also paying for their incredible volume of advertisements when you buy their headphones. The pros at head-fi will likely echo this advice, and they have often listens to hundreds of setups and have sunk thousands of dollars into audio products. They're really nice folks though, and will give you a ton of advice at a simple request.

I myself went to them a month or so ago in search of my own set of headphones.

I finally settled on these: http://tinyurl.com/2qe9lh

They have absolutely incredible bass, a fantastic forward midrange for vocals, and they do highs pretty well too. They have a good balance of detail (being able to hear separation of instruments and the entire range), the soundstage is respectable for earbuds, and they're just an all around awesome pair of earbuds. I can barely, just barely hear the noisy Chicago elevated trains when they go by, and they generate a LOT of noise.

For $100, I would recommend the Grado SR-80 cans, if you're looking for full size, but they don't have a lot of noise canceling ability. If you can stretch your budget a bit, and want good earbuds for noisy transit, I cannot recommend the Denon's enough. They absolutely blow away any headphone or earbud I've ever used, though I haven't heard the more expensive models like the Sony Qualias or the Ultimate Ears 11 (both $1000+ models). The Denon's are shockingly good. They deliver a ton of bass, and this is from a guy who used to have twin 15" subwoofers in the trunk of my car. They also deliver sound down to 12 hz, which is 8 hz below the human range of hearing. In other words, you'll never bottom these speakers out.

The Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 earbuds also have received a high amount of praise. You can find them used at times for ~$110-130.

I think for your price range, the Alessandro MS-1s are worth a look. They're reasonably priced, they have decent sound isolation, and they sound great compared to the other models in the range. They're over the ear cans, so they might be more comfortable to you than IEMs.

But if you want a set of headphones that really blocks out a lot of noise, you're going to have to settle for IEMs unless you can afford to pay a little more. The best deal for the money right now is considered the Sennheiser HD-25 I, but it's quite a bit more expensive, in the area of $160+.

Keep in mind -- the popular choice of consumers does not make a product inherently the best quality or even the best deal for the money. If you really want over-ear headphones that have a great deal of sound iso, I recommend saving for the Sennheisers. They will be worth it in the long run, and the extra $60 you spend will pay itself off in the 5+ years you use them.

Kandy is Dandy
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Check out head-fi.org

No offense, but the iPod headphones are widely held in the audio industry to be jokes. They aren't comfortable, have little to no bass, and no soundstage. They have screechy highs and a recessed midrange.

Oh, did I mention I was stone cold deaf in both ears? Ooooops forgot that. I would try signing it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand.

Cry Havoc
11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, did I mention I was stone cold deaf in both ears? Ooooops forgot that. I would try signing it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand.

First of all, he specifically stated that he wanted headphones that block out sound. Don't get annoyed just because you're not paying attention to what the original poster specified.

Secondly, have you ever listened to ANY headphones other than the trendy white $3 pair that Apple gives you? If they're so great, why does Apple sell a higher quality pair of iPod headphones for $50?

I mean, come on. If you haven't done your homework, don't get upset at someone who actually put effort into a post.

Also, PLEASE drop by an actual audio store that sells good music equipment. Walk up to the guy there and ask him about the quality of the Apple iBuds that come standard with any iPod. See if he laughs.

I'm not saying that you have poor hearing. I just doubt you've tried any high-quality alternatives. Put on a set of even $50 headphones and listen. I bet your ears will thank you. =)

Edit: I spoke to a member of head-fi on your behalf. He stated that the ms-1s do not have much sound isolation and recommended the Equation RP-21s. I don't know much about them, but he stated they have extremely good reviews for the price range.

The Sennheiser HD-280s are also considered a great value for the money.

Kandy is Dandy
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Seriously dude, I was born deaf. I can't hear a thing except feel vibrations. Why are you being so harsh?

Cry Havoc
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Seriously dude, I was born deaf. I can't hear a thing except feel vibrations. Why are you being so harsh?

In that case, I'd definitely recommend the Denons or the Super.Fi's. They have a lot of bass. :lol

Kandy is Dandy
11-13-2007, 10:25 PM
In that case, I'd definitely recommend the Denons or the Super.Fi's. They have a lot of bass. :lol

I tried that, but usually what happens is I get the police banging on my door, and I don't hear them. Then they ring my doorbell, and my lights start flashing like crazy in my house.

I then run around the house to figure out if it is my TDD phone, or the fire alarm, or my PC from a friend IM'ing me.

By that time, the cops think I am just being an asshole, then they bust down my door and cuff me.

Since I can't speak, and they have me cuffed, I am trying to sign behind my back. Then they think I am on drugs. So when I try to use a voice it comes out sounding from what I am told a fog horn.

Then I get committed for a few days in the psyche ward. When they figure out I am just deaf...... well a week has gone by. But what a hell of a free high I get when it all goes down.

Pretty cool huh?

Cry Havoc
11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I tried that, but usually what happens is I get the police banging on my door, and I don't hear them. Then they ring my doorbell, and my lights start flashing like crazy in my house.

I then run around the house to figure out if it is my TDD phone, or the fire alarm, or my PC from a friend IM'ing me.

By that time, the cops think I am just being an asshole, then they bust down my door and cuff me.

Since I can't speak, and they have me cuffed, I am trying to sign behind my back. Then they think I am on drugs. So when I try to use a voice it comes out sounding from what I am told a fog horn.

Then I get committed for a few days in the psyche ward. When they figure out I am just deaf...... well a week has gone by. But what a hell of a free high I get when it all goes down.

Pretty cool huh?

Amazing you have time to listen to an iPod with how busy you are. Definitely amazing.

tlongII
11-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I have the Bose QC3's. Love'em.

dougp
11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Cry, I have these - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-Gumy-Phone-Earbuds-HA-F130B/sem/rpsm/oid/181608/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Mostly because I can't bring myself to spend the money on those Cans ... they're nice, but not quite as compact as I'd like. If I still PC gamed and had a better laptop, I'd be all over the Grado cans. Hell, one day I just might when I have the cash.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2007, 02:11 AM
sennheiser PXC 150

or

Seconded. :tu

I've had sennheiser HD212 Pros for years and they're great.

And nice posts, Cry Havoc. I learned something. :)

Cry Havoc
11-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Cry, I have these - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-Gumy-Phone-Earbuds-HA-F130B/sem/rpsm/oid/181608/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Mostly because I can't bring myself to spend the money on those Cans ... they're nice, but not quite as compact as I'd like. If I still PC gamed and had a better laptop, I'd be all over the Grado cans. Hell, one day I just might when I have the cash.

Really though, it's all relative if you think about it. Do you own an iPod or an mp3 player that you spent over $150 on? Do you have over $1000 worth of music? Then why listen to it on $10 headphones? It's kind of like putting racing tires, a roll cage, and a racing suspension, drive train, and chassis in a car and then using a 100 hp 4 cylinder to drive around in.

When you consider that a good set of headphones will last you at least 3+ years, even at $120, that's only $40 per year or around $3 per month to have a huge upgrade in listening quality. And they could realistically last longer than that with proper care.

It should also noted that quality headphones with proper sound/noise isolation can actually reduce hearing loss. If you've ever sat on a plane or near a loud group of people and had to turn your headphones up to hear your music, you're actually risking damage to your ear. IEMs are great because they form a seal around your ear, and (using your ear canal as a kind of boombox) use much less volume of noise to generate the sound. Since they're so much closer to your ear, they don't need to be nearly as powerful, and the speaker does not need to travel as far to transmit the proper frequencies to your ear. So there -are- tangible health benefits to using good equipment beyond a better sound.

I'll put it to you this way: It did definitely make me take a couple of deep breaths to plunk down for the Denon's, but man, the sound is absolutely unbeatable. Everyone should give a set of high end headphones a try, if only for a few minutes or an hour! Just drop by an audio store and check out a set of high end Senn's or anything else that catches your eye. Bring your own headphones and compare. Listen for all the details a sensitive set of headphones picks up that a less well-made pair doesn't. :)

And nice posts, Cry Havoc. I learned something.

Thanks. I try. I'm pretty meager in my own knowledge, but I'm learning.

For the record, the next set of headphones I plan on purchasing are the Sennheiser HD-25 I. They seem to be the best all-around set in that price range. Then maybe an amp.... mmm.... money. :dizzy

Slomo
11-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Cry Havoc

I agree on the ipod headphones. When you buy an ipod the first thing you should do is buy a new pair of headphones and throw the originals away.

I'm a huge Sennheiser fan and have been selling their microphone for over 20 years now. I've done very difficult installations using them which I'm convinced that would not have been possible with any other brand. Because of that fact I have a very easy (cheap :D) access to their headphones.

The HD 25 is one of the best closed headphones ever made (I still use and love its predecessor the HD-250). It's the model of choice for many sports broadcasters (where they are usually combined with a microphone to become headsets). Even in the low price models you can expect better sound reproduction from Sennheiser than price comparable models.

I still own some early active noise cancellation from them and while the sound reproduction is stellar, the Bose QC2 are more comfortable to wear and the noise cancellation is stronger when it comes to plane and train noise - so it makes traveling more comfortable albeit for a small compromise on the sound quality front (emphasize on small).

Otherwise I agree pretty much with everything you wrote.

Slomo
11-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Oh and finally a warning to everybody. Listening to loud music on crappy headphones is the best and fastest way to damage you hearing - you'd be surprise at the sound pressure level that headphones are capable of generating.

As with computer monitors spending a little more on headphones will do wonders for your hearing (vision in case of monitors).

:)

Cry Havoc
11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I still own some early active noise cancellation from them and while the sound reproduction is stellar, the Bose QC2 are more comfortable to wear and the noise cancellation is stronger when it comes to plane and train noise - so it makes traveling more comfortable albeit for a small compromise on the sound quality front (emphasize on small).

Otherwise I agree pretty much with everything you wrote.

I think Bose is a relatively well-regarded set of headphones. However, as most of us are on a budget, they are considered overpriced, not poor quality. I think also a bit of negativity seeps in due to their popularity. People shouldn't limit themselves to just going by what's advertised on TV. If you listen to everything and like the noise canceling feature of the QC headphones, then more power to you! It's still a giant step up from bargain basement headphones. I just can't afford $300+ for Bose, and if I could I'd definitely buy the Senn's first.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
THanks Havoc for the in-depth explanation! Helped quite a bit! Problem is I live in Argentina. Here in Buenos Aires, someof those models are hard to find and/or expensive as hell. Still, I'll visit Head-Fi when their site is back on and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again bro

dougp
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I know what you're getting at, but I can't wear the Can's @ work, and I don't use headphones enough at home to make it worth it. Back when I used Vent and such, I had some better full ear's, but meh. I also was going to get some E2C's, but I have problems with canal headphones, the pressure is way too much on my ear canals.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Oh and finally a warning to everybody. Listening to loud music on crappy headphones is the best and fastest way to damage you hearing - you'd be surprise at the sound pressure level that headphones are capable of generating.

As with computer monitors spending a little more on headphones will do wonders for your hearing (vision in case of monitors).

:)Exactly my thinking, except my "spending more" has a $100-$120 limit due to budget limitations :lol

Still, I'm pretty sure $120 should net me a very decent pair of headphones

Cry Havoc
11-14-2007, 11:34 AM
THanks Havoc for the in-depth explanation! Helped quite a bit! Problem is I live in Argentina. Here in Buenos Aires, someof those models are hard to find and/or expensive as hell. Still, I'll visit Head-Fi when their site is back on and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again bro

Welcome! Another benefit of the head-fi site is that you might find people who are willing to ship equipment internationally. I'll vouch for you if they need confirmation that you're not a scammer.

Sennheiser is a widely distributed brand and might be available in your area. Also, some internet websites might ship to Argentina if you look enough.

Still, I'm pretty sure $120 should net me a very decent pair of headphones

Yes yes yes! :clap

I know what you're getting at, but I can't wear the Can's @ work, and I don't use headphones enough at home to make it worth it. Back when I used Vent and such, I had some better full ear's, but meh. I also was going to get some E2C's, but I have problems with canal headphones, the pressure is way too much on my ear canals.

It does take some getting used to. And some people can never feel comfortable with IEMs.

May I recommend another solution? Yuin has a series of absolutely fantastic earbuds (like the type you're using). They're also relatively affordable. The Yuin PK1/2 and 3s are all garnering absolutely flawless reviews. People are comparing them favorably to high-end, over the ear Sennheisers!

They should be pretty perfect for your workplace. Just a thought. =)

dougp
11-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I'll look into them ... though I'll probably keep the Gumy's around because they're great for working out with also - if I break them, just takes me $10 to get another pair - oh, and they don't get line noise like a lot of other earphones do.

leemajors
11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
sennheisers sound great, but they make the cans and sizes a bit on the small side. i had to return the ones i got because they pinched my ears as well as my head. i also got these for $20 off of woot when i was debating getting the shure buds enigma posted earlier (i get them for $50 through work):

http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=47

they sound great, and if they break i buy some shures or wait for another woot. they sound a lot better than the sony in ear ones i got for $50, which sound way better than the iPod earbuds, which are far too large to fit in my ear comfortably.

Slomo
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Still, I'm pretty sure $120 should net me a very decent pair of headphonesAbsolutely. Look into the Sennheiser range and you'll find excellent models in that price range. I'm pretty sure other brands also have a few good models for that budget.

I'll freely admit I'm spoiled when it comes to electronics because I don't have to pay for most of the stuff I use (it's either given to me because we buy/sell a lot of the pro stuff, or it's a business expense and it doesn't come out of my pocket). So I like the Bose mainly on how comfortable they are - not factoring in the price (specially since I never knew the price - we used to do a lot of Bose pro sound system installation :D).

Thunder Dan
11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
I have Shure EC2s and I like them alot. They are right down the line with Bose except for the Bose 400% markup

usckk
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I third the Sennheiser headphones. They have the best quality for the best prices out there. I own a pair of PXC250. Their noise-cancelling ability is awesome for outside, car, or airplane uses. Although the bass is okay, the treble quality is great! Furthermore, they are very portable.

Also, I own a pair of Bose CQ2 as well for home use. They cancel out even more noise (mainly because it is around heared, compared to the on-heared of PXC250. It's bass quality however is a lot stronger. You'll get a fuller more intense sound out of Bose. However, the treble quality is better on the PXC250.

All in all, if you want good quality for good prices, pick Sennheiser. It's also a lot more portable than the Bose ones (Ex. if you want to wear them while you walk). But Bose has the advantage of better noise-canceling and fuller bass sound.

Jules
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089921 I've had these for a few months and dig them. I looked at the Bose noise cancelling headphones, and ultimately decided on these because of the fit.

Kandy is Dandy
11-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Amazing you have time to listen to an iPod with how busy you are. Definitely amazing.

I dont listen to the ipod, I feel the vibrations. Since I am deaf, it really doesnt matter what I have in my ears now does it?

I can feel vibrations and work and chew gum as well as sign at the same time. The question is can you?

Walter Craparita
11-15-2007, 01:06 AM
beyer dynamic DT770

Cry Havoc
11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
beyer dynamic DT770

Great headphones, but a little out of his price range. Worth saving for though, from what I've read.

Slomo
03-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Disclaimer: I think that 230 Euros for a pair of earbuds is way too much. Nothing that I say after this changes it.

But man are they sweet!

I just received a pair of Klipsch X-10 earphones. They are the smallest and without doubt prettiest in ear headphones I've seen. The weight is negligible and you immediately think of brands like Bang & Olufsen, where design is sometimes put ahead of ergonomics or even quality.
But these earphones are not just pretty, the sound - the bass reproduction specifically - is amazing. I seriously need to figure out how such a small device can produce such clean, deep and powerful bass. The sound insulation is very high, which mean you can listen to classical/jazz music in noisy environment without the need to overdrive your ear drums. If you listen to loud music like rock, rap, techno exclusively, then these earphones will not sound special to you - although they are capable of handling it. Their forte comes with precise reproduction of more complex music.
On the other hand if you like to listen to songs where the voice of the artist is the reason for its popularity, then you'll fall in love with them.
Oh, and because of their shape and very small weight they are very comfortable to wear even for longer periods of time - although as any woman will explain to you when they are buying Christian Louboutin shoes - that's not really why you buy them.

Cry Havoc, have you ever tried these?

I would never have bought them, but I'm very happy to own them - does that make any sense?

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/produits/169/4536/169_4536_2.jpg

http://www.audiojunkies.com/product_images/1867/klipsch-image-x10-headphone.jpg

And for all of you who can afford to throw this much money out the window, I would say that a new iPod touch 64GB in a nice slim leather case and these earphones will not guarantee getting laid, it will however make the probability of getting mugged by a tech savy punk much more likely. :D

L.I.T
03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Cry Havoc and Slo-mo seem to have it covered in terms of recommendations.

To throw in my two cents, I've gone through a lot of headphones for travel and so far my favorite pair has been a set of Denon C551s. They don't go as deep as the Shures (although the Shures do have excellent passive sound reduction) so for me they were a little more comfortable and still did a decent job of blocking sound on flights. The sound quality I found was excellent for the price point.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Cry Havoc, have you ever tried these?

I haven't tried those yet, Slomo, but as you can see from my avatar, I have taken a step up in the audio world.

Back in December, Amazon.com had sets of Triple Fi.10 Pro's on sale for $99 a piece. These are headphones that regularly sold for $350+ online, and are $399 from Ultimate Ears direct.

I missed that sale, but I netted a pair on eBay for $140. I also picked up a FiiO E1 headphone amplifier on eBay for $25.

Let me begin by saying that I am a person who's easily amused by a lot of things, but rarely am I truly impressed by something.

That said, these UE TFP10s are absolutely brilliant. The detail and soundstage is absolutely through the roof, and exceeds anything I've ever thought possible in an IEM/canalphone. Want to hear the pedals being worked on a piano in a live recording? It's possible. Every nuance comes through. When I hear Alicia Keys singing, it's like actually hearing her voice, as opposed to a flattened reproduction. It is actually possible to hear the vibrations of a harp or violin -- I know, I know, that's what makes the noise in the first place, but that's not what I mean at all. There is a distinct difference between hearing the sound that a violin makes, and actually hearing the bow sliding along the strings, and that adds so much color and intimacy to whatever you listen to. I'd love to compare them to the Klipsch's!

Every time I put the UE's on, I marvel and smile. And as lame as it sounds, a couple of songs have almost brought me to tears listening to, because they are able to so aptly portray the emotion of a singer's voice. It's probably cliche to say this, but it's very close to having a private concert, especially live music recorded at a high bitrate.

--

I stumbled across this article lately. It's a pretty fantastic read for audiophiles.

http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2009/04/medium_3444940058_6e7bdfb393_o.jpg

That's what a $65,000 speaker looks like.

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2009/04/medium_3444120847_8296bb85f2_o.jpg

The envy of nearly every knowledgeable audio gear lover on the planet. I'm guessing that's in the neighborhood of a half million dollars sitting right there.

--

I was just thinking about this thread a couple days ago, actually. Pretty humorous that you chose to bump it now.

I invite ANYONE who wants to hear their music more clearly to invest in some good headphones. The side of the box that came with my headphones says, "Listen to Your Music for the First Time". They aren't kidding.

lebomb
03-02-2010, 08:19 AM
http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI76879.jpg&size=20&dhm=bdb73b13&hl=en

I will put these headphones up against any that cost $100-$200. These things are amazing. :toast

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI76879.jpg&size=20&dhm=bdb73b13&hl=en

I will put these headphones up against any that cost $100-$200. These things are amazing. :toast

Those are Koss Porta Pro's, yes? I use the Sporta-Pros for the gym. Pretty awesome set of headphones for the price. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2009/04/medium_3444940058_6e7bdfb393_o.jpg

bigger and more expensive really doesn't mean better. toby speakers in ft worth opened my eyes to that. he has a room dedicated to his speakers up against thiel, nht's, definitive, martin, etc you name it. he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
bigger and more expensive really doesn't mean better.

Totally true, but in this case, it does.

toby speakers in ft worth opened my eyes to that. he has a room dedicated to his speakers up against thiel, nht's, definitive, martin, etc you name it. he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.

Spectrum printouts are nice and all, but they really don't mean anything. Anyone could design a speaker that "responds" at every frequency, but that is a far cry from being pleasant to listen to. Response != quality. Anyone who shows you a graph like that instead of telling you to use your ears to hear what sounds the best is definitely selling you something (speakers! :lol).

The man who owns those speakers has dedicated his life to finding the best audio components at any price. If he thinks they're the best -- I'm inclined to agree with him, as he's got more experience than almost anyone on the planet when it comes to professional audio.

phxspurfan
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I have sampled all different kinds of headphones. I had the Bose QC2's for awhile but returned them b/c they put pressure on my ears after awhile. I had some open-air ones that made too much noise in places like my college library. Then I got some Sennheisers and I still have them. They're the best that I have seen in all three categories I care about: sound quality, value (price point) and quietness to the outside.

(because you may not want everyone at work to hear you bump your chopped Bourbons & Lacs over and over)

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Spectrum printouts are nice and all, but they really don't mean anything. Anyone could design a speaker that "responds" at every frequency, but that is a far cry from being pleasant to listen to. Response != quality. Anyone who shows you a graph like that instead of telling you to use your ears to hear what sounds the best is definitely selling you something (speakers! :lol).you obviously don't read real well.

he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.

The man who owns those speakers has dedicated his life to finding the best audio components at any price. If he thinks they're the best -- I'm inclined to agree with him, as he's got more experience than almost anyone on the planet when it comes to professional audio.

i own a personal sat/sub system of his. best money spent. :tu

Whisky Dog
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
I second the Denon 700's. Listening on them right now through my iPhone and they're all I need. Great sound and they don't fall out of my ears.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
you obviously don't read real well.

i own a personal sat/sub system of his. best money spent. :tu

If they sound awesome to you, more power to you man.

I don't know why you need to be so defensive, though. If you think they're the best, be happy with what you got. My point was simply that spectrum graphs are not that important in the grand scheme of "good sound". I read every word you said.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok. I'll play along.

First of all, how could you state that the $65k monstrosity sounds good? Have you personally heard it?

Or did you read that it's supposed to sound good? :wakeup

Whisky Dog
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I haven't tried those yet, Slomo, but as you can see from my avatar, I have taken a step up in the audio world.

Back in December, Amazon.com had sets of Triple Fi.10 Pro's on sale for $99 a piece. These are headphones that regularly sold for $350+ online, and are $399 from Ultimate Ears direct.

I missed that sale, but I netted a pair on eBay for $140. I also picked up a FiiO E1 headphone amplifier on eBay for $25.

Let me begin by saying that I am a person who's easily amused by a lot of things, but rarely am I truly impressed by something.

That said, these UE TFP10s are absolutely brilliant. The detail and soundstage is absolutely through the roof, and exceeds anything I've ever thought possible in an IEM/canalphone. Want to hear the pedals being worked on a piano in a live recording? It's possible. Every nuance comes through. When I hear Alicia Keys singing, it's like actually hearing her voice, as opposed to a flattened reproduction. It is actually possible to hear the vibrations of a harp or violin -- I know, I know, that's what makes the noise in the first place, but that's not what I mean at all. There is a distinct difference between hearing the sound that a violin makes, and actually hearing the bow sliding along the strings, and that adds so much color and intimacy to whatever you listen to. I'd love to compare them to the Klipsch's!

Every time I put the UE's on, I marvel and smile. And as lame as it sounds, a couple of songs have almost brought me to tears listening to, because they are able to so aptly portray the emotion of a singer's voice. It's probably cliche to say this, but it's very close to having a private concert, especially live music recorded at a high bitrate.

--

I stumbled across this article lately. It's a pretty fantastic read for audiophiles.

http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2009/04/medium_3444120847_8296bb85f2_o.jpg

The envy of nearly every knowledgeable audio gear lover on the planet. I'm guessing that's in the neighborhood of a half million dollars sitting right there.

--

I was just thinking about this thread a couple days ago, actually. Pretty humorous that you chose to bump it now.

I invite ANYONE who wants to hear their music more clearly to invest in some good headphones. The side of the box that came with my headphones says, "Listen to Your Music for the First Time". They aren't kidding.

I just noticed this post. My "home" earbuds that I don't take to work or workout with are UE 700s that are fantastic. Amazon ha them for about $190 and with my visa rewards amazon gift card I grabbed. Pair for $90. Price to sound ratio these have to be about the best out there.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Ok. I'll play along.

First of all, how could you state that the $65k monstrosity sounds good? Have you personally heard it?

You stated bigger and more expensive doesn't mean better. How do you know? Have you personally heard every $10,000+ speaker out there? You began with the assumptions here.

I'm guessing that the head of a magazine for audiophiles who has spent his entire life listening to sound systems, speakers, and equipment is going to have something that sounds pretty amazing in his house. You know, that's obviously just a guess though. I'm sure a $500 Home Theater In A Box will probably blow it away. :rolleyes

Or did you read that it's supposed to sound good? :wakeup

I've heard a pair of $20,000 (each) B&W speakers. They were mind-blowing. I'm guessing this guy has probably heard those too, and yet picked the specific speakers he has in his house for a reason.

Do you really think that because I haven't heard the setup in the article that it's compelling evidence against the speakers being of audiophile quality? Be a little more jealous, man. It's rather transparent.

lebomb
03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
http://www.klipsch.com/images/c/553/500x500.aspx

This is the best speaker Ive ever heard in person. They had two of them in the corners of an audio demonstration room.

tlongII
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Cry Havoc
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Any good headphones that are small and compact for gym use?

Not sure how small you want, but I highly recommend the Koss Sporta or Porta Pros. They're perfect for the gym and under $30 from amazon.com

Frenzy
03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Sennheiser HD 205 for me. Does the job great....extra long cord is best.

blizz
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
i just picked up some altec lansings that are rebranded ultimate ear super fi 3s. they retail for $130 but i got them from amazon for $39...they're REALLY good.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-UHP336-Snugfit-Earphone/dp/B000Q7IA5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267598095&sr=8-1

The Gemini Method
03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Has anyone ever owned a pair of Fischer Audio DBA 02s? They've gotten pretty good reviews on head-fi, but wanted to see if anyone on the boards have had any personal experience with these earbuds.

ManuBalboa
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Picked up some Monster Turbines off Amazon. Using entirely for gym use and am pleased. Yes, I know they are made by Monster but they get great reviews on head-fi.

bus driver
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
you should ask her
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMS9CGWRAb-69nv8Jhf3HMEBCulzxuC909TZKhsSaar6mV3a28Yw&t=1

FuckoffNiggas
07-27-2020, 03:42 PM
Hello! I can help you buy headphones. I started collecting headphones from an early age, and during this time I began to understand a lot about which headphones are better and why. That is why I can recommend Klipsch headphones, about which you can find out more information (https://treethugger.com/product-reviews/klipsch-headphones/)
These are wonderful inexpensive headphones that have all the features that are needed by modern man. These headphones are very versatile. You can be taking a walk with them, exercise, and more!