PDA

View Full Version : Why? (Tim Duncan)

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Why on earth does Tim Duncan feel he needs to hold the ball for 10 seconds on every posession? Take a shot or pass the ball but for gods sake just make a play. I am so tired of seeing 10 pump fakes only to see him pass the ball. Everyone knows you are going to pump fake Tim, everyone. You arent going to suprise anybody with it. Shoot the damn ball as soon as you catch it.

I really like Tim Duncan most of the time but as much as I hate to say it he could REALLY learn some things from KG.

SequSpur
12-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Because the players around suck. He found that out last night when the Magic played the CYO little boys zone and totally shut the spurs down.

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Because the players around suck. He found that out last night when the Magic played the CYO little boys zone and totally shut the spurs down.

So holding on to the ball for 10 seconds is how you make the players around you better? I have never seen such a good player who did almost nothing to raise the level of players around him as Tim. I have never seen such a dominate player truly have such little impact on the game as Tim. It is so confusing.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Duncan is no KG. I've been saying that for years.

Tim Duncan spent the better part of his career playing next to David Robinson. Kevin Garnett spent his next to Rasho Nesterovic.

'Nuff said.

SequSpur
12-23-2004, 09:17 PM
Who should he pass it too? Steve Kerr is announcing the game. Sorry.

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:20 PM

You dont understand, obviously. Great players make those around them better. What did Pippen, BJ armstrong, Horace Grant, Toni Kukoc, Luc Longely ever do without Jordan? Do you truly think that Olawakandi is a better player than Duncan as his numbers would show tonight? No, that is because KG makes all the players on that team better. He gets them fired up and he makes plays for other people.

I know Tim Duncan doesnt have half the athleticsm of KG but something... anything is better than just holding on to the ball for 10 seconds doing nothing. This has always bugged me about Tim.

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:22 PM

Oh yeah and BTW...

Ginobilli 3/4
Parker 4/9
Udrih 1/2
Horry 1/1
Rose 2/3

Duncan 5/13....... nuff said

2pac
12-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah and BTW...

Ginobilli 3/4
Parker 4/9
Udrih 1/2
Horry 1/1
Rose 2/3

Duncan 5/13....... nuff said

Clearly Duncan should be cut. This will free up more playing time for such greats as RObert Horry and Malik ROse (combined 75% shooting.)

You think maybe everyone else is shooting well because the Wolves have to collapse on Duncan?

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Clearly Duncan should be cut. This will free up more playing time for such greats as RObert Horry and Malik ROse (combined 75% shooting.)

You think maybe everyone else is shooting well because the Wolves have to collapse on Duncan?

Clearly you have more interest in making smart ass comments instead of a real argument. :rolleyes

Never anywhere in my post did I say cut Duncan, we would see havfe to pay a large portion of his salary then anyway. I simply said he should hold on to the ball substantially less than he does. My point is factual and valid no matter how much of a Duncan homer you want to be.

See that run we just went on. Tim Duncan held the ball less on that entire run than he usually does in one possesion.

2pac
12-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Duncan homer? The dude is at the very worst top three in the league.

Name one other player with 2 MVPs and 2 Finals MVPs who is active.

THe point I made is solid and factual, even if you try to address the obvious sarcasm.

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Duncan homer? The dude is at the very worst top three in the league.

Name one other player with 2 MVPs and 2 Finals MVPs who is active.

THe point I made is solid and factual, even if you try to address the obvious sarcasm.

Notice anything different about how we are playing in the second half on offense? Everytime Duncan has gone up with it or passed it quickly we have scored. Every time he has held it it has been a turnover or a missed shot. I love Tim but the guy has to be much more active on the offensive end. Period end of discussion.

texbumTHElife
12-23-2004, 09:44 PM

This was a valid point and goes even further to prove MY point. If he was quicker to pass out of those dbl and triple teams he would create more plays.

2pac
12-23-2004, 09:48 PM
If he passes quicker - the double or triple team hasn't come yet. Teams usually dont double as soon as they receive it - double teams usually are more effective if you wait for the first dribble. Duncan waits then tosses it to the open man - and he also need to read the D to see who is gonna come and the man needs the time to rotate to the open passing lane that the doubling man has created, as well as rotating the other players away from the open man to prevent help.

This isnt NBA Live 2005.

GoSpurs21
12-23-2004, 10:00 PM
agree Tim is so much better when he doesnt think (hold the ball) but reacts instead

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Why on earth does Tim Duncan feel he needs to hold the ball for 10 seconds on every posession?

Because of the coach.

GoSpurs21
12-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Because of the coach.Thats gotta be the dumbest comment of the year (what else would you expect from an Texas AM fan). I dont think Pop wants Tim to be tenative, its up to Duncan to be aggressive. He can wait for the double team or just react. Tim is best when he justs reacts. Its like Tim's free throw shooting its all mental.

Hey Aggie whos idea was it to start Horry in the 3rd quarter?
Who would you prefer was coaching the Spurs (probably Bob Hill)?

2pac
12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Thats gotta be the dumbest comment of the year (what else would you expect from an AM fan). I dont think Pop wants Tim to be tenative, its up to Duncan to be aggressive. He can wait for the double team or just react. Tim is best when he justs reacts. Its like Tim's free throw shooting its all mental.

What I explained earlier in this thread, is that he cannot pass out of the double-team if he does it as soon as he gets the ball, because the DT hasnt arrived yet and there is no open man.

And I am also a fan of AM radio. No baggin.

GoSpurs21
12-23-2004, 11:13 PM
What I explained earlier in this thread, is that he cannot pass out of the double-team if he does it as soon as he gets the ball, because the DT hasnt arrived yet and there is no open man.

And I am also a fan of AM radio. No baggin.Seems to me when Tim is not aggressive he waits for the double team, puts the ball on the floor then turns it over. Verses getting the ball then making a move immediately, the results are usually better (see Spurs/Lakers game 6 playoffs 03). It doesnt matter if is it a shot or a pass. If the Spurs are moving (which they are guilty of standing I agee) then this is usually results in better offense.

Rummpd
12-23-2004, 11:25 PM
At the end of it all realize this = since coming into the league per Sam Smith Chicago - Duncan highest winning percentage all time any player any sport > 5 seasons so far in career.

Duncan has faults but he is still the top player in the NBA. Garnett is a totally different type of player and but until he takes any team to a finals much less a championship cannot be considered on the same plane.

MadDoc

baseline bum
12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
This has to be one of the worst threads I've ever seen. Duncan doesn't make his teammates better? Why is it every year the Spurs have a guy in the top 3 or so from the 3 point line? Did you think Bruce Bowen was really Ray Allen from the corner in 2003, or did that Duncan guy open that up for him?

Duncan is no KG. I've been saying that for years.

Tim Duncan spent the better part of his career playing next to David Robinson. Kevin Garnett spent his next to Rasho Nesterovic.

You know, KG also had had top notch PG play his entire career from Marbury to Terrell Brandon to ET with 6th-man Award winner Bobby Jackson and Finals MVP Chauncey Billups as freaking backups, not to mention Troy Hudson, who's established himself as a very solid PG in the past 3 years or so. Tell me Duncan wouldn't have torn up the league with that kind of point guard play his entire career. The one season previous to this one where he's had anything approaching that he added a ring and a trophy. While I love AJ, he's never been better than what Minnesota had and Terry Porter backed up by AD sure as hell wasn't either.

When you compare career accomplishments KG has had no teammate anywhere close to David Robinson, but the David Tim played with wasn't the David from before the injuries of 96-97.

texbumTHElife
12-24-2004, 01:46 AM
This has to be one of the worst threads I've ever seen. Duncan doesn't make his teammates better? Why is it every year the Spurs have a guy in the top 3 or so from the 3 point line? Did you think Bruce Bowen was really Ray Allen from the corner in 2003, or did that Duncan guy open that up for him?

You are looking at this on much more of a grand scale than I meant it. Much like the other guy exagerrated and made his "we should just dut Duncan" comment.

The point I was trying to make and the idea I was trying to establish was one which several others have also said. Tim Duncan is much better when he doesnt just sit and wait for the double or sit and wait to see how the defender is going to guard him. He is MUCH better when he makes up his mind to be agressive and he dictates how the defense guards him, like he did in the second half of this game. When Tim plays like he did in the second half he does make the whole team better. He is quick and decisive and gets other involved. When he plays the waiting game our offense gets bogged down and usually results in turnovers.

His activity and intensiy on the defensive end is also what usually dictates how the rest of the team plays. When Tim is very active and hustling and banging the boards the rest of the team responds and plays the same.

So I guess what i am trying to say is there are time when Tim Duncan is the best player in the NBA and dictates everything on the court and there are times when he just seems to get swalloed up by everything.

I will say this as a compliment to Duncan. His defense on Garnett tonight was fantastic for the most part. Had the refs not decided to call every touch foul involving Sczerbiak we would have utterly destroyed these guys tonight.

texbumTHElife
12-24-2004, 01:49 AM
You know, KG also had had top notch PG play his entire career from Marbury to Terrell Brandon to ET with 6th-man Award winner Bobby Jackson and Finals MVP Chauncey Billups as freaking backups, not to mention Troy Hudson, who's established himself as a very solid PG in the past 3 years or so. Tell me Duncan wouldn't have torn up the league with that kind of point guard play his entire career. The one season previous to this one where he's had anything approaching that he added a ring and a trophy. While I love AJ, he's never been better than what Minnesota had and Terry Porter backed up by AD sure as hell wasn't either.

Tony Parker and AJ > Brandon, Jackson, and Troy Hudson. I would also say that as streaky as Billups and Marbury are TP and AJ> Billups and Marbury half the time too. A point guard doesnt have to make sizzling plays to be great. They have to play well in the sytem and create oppotunities in the clutch. With that said how about Tony Parker tonight in the third quarter and early fourth! He was simply unstoppable, uncontrollable and damn near invisible!