PDA

View Full Version : 8 Cities That Deserve an NBA Franchise...

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Unlike Major League Baseball, the NBA can operate a successful franchise in nearly any city of at least 1 million in population.

The following cities deserve NBA franchises (in order):

1 - St. Louis: No brainer. 20th largest metro area in the country... one of the best sports cities in America, and there isn't another NBA franchise within 250 miles.
2 - Oklahoma City: They've already proven themselves
3 - San Diego: Largest city in the country without an NBA franchise.
4 - Tampa Bay: 19th largest city in the country, and the second largest w/out an NBA team.
5 - Baltimore: 20th largest city in the country
6 - Las Vegas: Fastest growing city in America, isn't it?
7 - Pittsburgh: Good sports town... larger market than 9 existing NBA markets.
8 - Cincinnati: Definitely large enough to support an NBA team (larger than 6 existing NBA markets), and the Pacers are the only NBA franchise within a 250 mile radius of Cinci.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting the NBA place franchises in all 8 cities. I merely saying that they could place a franchise in any of the 8.

The only 2 cities I feel absolutely SHOULD get a team as soon as the NBA can make it happen... are St. Louis and OKC.

K-State Spur
11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
st. louis is a great baseball town. but i wouldn't call them a great sports city. their support of the rams and mizzou athletics is lukewarm at best.

ashbeeigh
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
All good choices, except for Vegas. I vaguely remember David Stern saying there will never being a franchise in Vegas....no matter how much money the Maloofs have.

I'm all for OKC having a team.

DOMINATOR
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
OKC is only a matter of time.

Vegas is inevitable. eventually the leagues will give in because of the rate that city is growing.

rest are 'meh'

Das Texan
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
the sonics are going to OKC.

after that who knows new orleans will end up after they stop supporting that team yet again.

Kansas City is also an interesting option.

Baltimore wont happen.
Tampa shouldnt happen.
Vegas wont happen as long as Stern is in charge.
St. Louis wont support them, from what I know.
San Diego...not sure how much the market will support them or if there is any interest at all.
Pittsburgh is an interseting option, but they cant even get a stadium built for their hockey team.
Cincinatti is an option, but Columbus may be the better Ohio option, since they already have the facility.

ShoogarBear
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
9. New York

Spurologist
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
9. New York

:lol

RonMexico
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
San Diego once had a team... and I don't think they want the Clippers back anytime soon.

easjer
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
I see the argument about St. Louis, but I'd argue Kansas City (Mo) as a better option.

San Diego? 4 teams in Cali to choose from aren't enough already?

K-State Spur
11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
OKC is only a matter of time.

Vegas is inevitable. eventually the leagues will give in because of the rate that city is growing.

rest are 'meh'

Vegas' growth may be tempered in the not-too-distant future with water issues.

ShoogarBear
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
The NBA won't go back to San Diego.

I can't see the Baltimore market supporting a team in-between the Sixer and Wiz.

I don't think Pittsburgh's a big basketball town, either. From what I know, I agree with what K-State Spurs said about St. Looey.

And y'know, despite all the talk, I think the support for a team in Vegas would suck unless they're a winner. That's probably the ultimate front-running town.

Shelly
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
What about Anchorage? Don't they deserve a team???

ShoogarBear
11-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Shelly just wants a team called the Freezers.

Shelly
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Shelly just wants a team called the Freezers.

:lol good one!

Spurminator
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Assuming the Sonics leave Seattle, I wonder if Vancouver wouldn't be worth another shot?

Indazone
11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Athens!! Where's Kill Bill!! lol

Russ
11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Unlike Major League Baseball, the NBA can operate a successful franchise in nearly any city of at least 1 million in population.

1 - St. Louis: No brainer. 20th largest metro area in the country... one of the best sports cities in America, and there isn't another NBA franchise within 250 miles.

Let the Hawks go to Atlanta and didn't support the Spirits. No.

Okay.

Did not support those mighty Clippers and never embraced the Q's (despite Wilt Chamberlain).

B]4 - Tampa Bay:[/B] 19th largest city in the country, and the second largest w/out an NBA team.

A lousy Florida sports town. Front-runners and seaboard transplants. Naw.

B]5 - Baltimore:[/B] 20th largest city in the country

The Baltimore Claws -- lasted almost until the ABA regular season began. That was after public outcry forced them to change their name from "Baltimore Hustlers." :)

NBA playas are there already. Seriously, LV would support an NBA team big time. They loved their Rebels.

Rust-belt relic. NBA is way too modern for this berg (I mean pit).

8 - Cincinnati: Definitely large enough to support an NBA team (larger than 6 existing NBA markets), and the Pacers are the only NBA franchise within a 250 mile radius of Cinci.

Like Vegas, has a bit of the rebel in it -- nurtured by Huggins the way Tark did in LV. Would likely support the NBA in its own redneck way.

The only 2 cities I feel absolutely SHOULD get a team as soon as the NBA can make it happen... are St. Louis and OKC.

Maybe OKC. Remember, SA had to fight for a team -- even the ABA didn't wanna let SA in. Make 'em earn it. :)

Shelly
11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I kinda like the sound of The Boise Tots.

Extra Stout
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
How about Victoria?

RC's Boss
11-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Cuidad Acuna?

BeerIsGood!
11-14-2007, 01:59 AM
The Matamoros Puddle Jumpers.

RC's Boss
11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Angola, LA.....

Darkwaters
11-14-2007, 02:40 AM
The Hornets should be on the move again fairly soon. New Orleans is not supporting this team and I doubt anything will change unless the Hornets become a contender. And while they're good, they're not nearly that good.

So who should get them? I'd say OKC makes the most sense, but if the Sonics are already headed that way then the Hornets need another spot.

TxJudsonRocketTx
11-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Kansas City is probably the best option out there to expand, they just finished a brand new badass arena downtown and the city is pretty supportive of the Royals and every Chiefs game is sold out. The metro area is huge and I think a basketball team there these days would thrive.

Manudona
11-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Assuming the Sonics leave Seattle, I wonder if Vancouver wouldn't be worth another shot?

Ah, I can only wish for that to happen :(

Darkwaters
11-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Kansas City is probably the best option out there to expand, they just finished a brand new badass arena downtown and the city is pretty supportive of the Royals and every Chiefs game is sold out. The metro area is huge and I think a basketball team there these days would thrive.

I've heard they're actually more interested in getting an NHL team rather than the NBA. They're said to be shooting for the Penguins that are supposedly looking to leave Pittsburgh. With the youth of Crosby and Malkin, that wouldn't be a bad team to have either.

spurscenter
11-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Clippers needs to move back to San Diego, city is ready

Pittsburgh should have a team . very nice city with $$$

Las Vegas is also perfect but with that ref situation it wont happen, i would love NBA in Vegas full time.

i dont think OKC is a good city to hold NBA for many years after it loses its appeal, they are gonna be another Charlotte or N.O.

I think Monterey, Mexico would be a good city in case they expand south of the border but thats a way way long shot

Nbadan
11-14-2007, 05:44 AM
...all these cities would be better served building parks and museums, and replenishing water and energy supplies than financing a NBA Team...

TampaDude
11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I live in Tampa, and I agree with Russ...we must have the most bandwagoner sports fans in the country down here (see Bucs, Bulls). I don't see TB being able to support an NBA franchise through thick and thin, especially with the Magic less than an hour away in Orlando.

urunobili
11-14-2007, 08:40 AM
i got it.. the Hawaii Chiefs! :devil

anakha
11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
i got it.. the Hawaii Chiefs! :devil

That would make for a hell of a road trip, though. :lol

MajorMike
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
st. louis is a great baseball town. but i wouldn't call them a great sports city. their support of the rams and mizzou athletics is lukewarm at best.

Except that Mizzou is in Columbia, about 120 miles from StL. Its is just around 45 mins to an hour further to the campuses of Illinois and Indiana. Kansas City is also about 120 miles from Columbia.

And that the Rams are about 98% full every game even tho they just got their first win of the year - about the same percentage as Pitsburgh and Kansas City and higher than Dallas, Indy and San Diego.

So I guess you could call KC's support of the Chefs and Mizzou lukewarm at best. Not to mention that the only team in the MLB that have worse attendance this decade is Tampa Bay.

K-State Spur
11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think anybody in their right mind would say that STL supports the Rams like KC does the Chiefs or PIT does the Steelers. (and NFL attendance, like other sports, is based on tickets sold, not bodies in the arena.)

MajorMike
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't think anybody in their right mind would say that STL supports the Rams like KC does the Chiefs or PIT does the Steelers. (and NFL attendance, like other sports, is based on tickets sold, not bodies in the arena.)

NFL says TV blackout policy isn't antiquated
By Dan Caesar
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
10/27/2007

...That will be the case Sunday in St. Louis, as a Rams home game won't be carried locally for just the third time the team moved to St. Louis in 1995 — but for the second home game in a row. The Edward Jones Dome will be about 3,000 tickets short of a sell out....

No blackout for Chiefs
The Capital-Journal
Published Friday, October 05, 2007
The prospect of the first local TV blackout of a Chiefs game since 1990 ended Thursday.

Tickets for the Sunday's noon game with Jacksonville at Arrowhead had been available all week, raising the prospect that the game might not be sold out in time for the NFL's TV blackout provisions to be lifted.

But the Chiefs confirmed Thursday that the league now considers the game to be within sellout limits, even as some individual tickets remain unsold. The Kansas City television station scheduled to broadcast the game — KCTV (Channel 5) in this case — traditionally purchases remaining tickets as a hedge against losing extensive local advertising revenue already sold for the telecast.

Visibly empty seats at Arrowhead and speculations that some games may be under a television blackout if more tickets are not sold haven’t created a stir among even the most fervent Chiefs fan. The unveiling of the new Arrowhead Stadium received some acknowledgment but still…. Where is the celebrated Chiefs passion? Missing.

No mention of the Mizzou reference, I see.

Assman
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
East St. Louis needs a team. First 20,000 fans get free soup or an AIDS test. Place would sell out every game.

MajorMike
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
East St. Louis needs a team. First 20,000 fans get free soup or an AIDS test. Place would sell out every game.

lawl

Extra Stout
11-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Would Larry Flynt own the team?

Extra Stout
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
The NBA would have to change its usual schedule for East St. Louis home games. 7:30 PM is too early a start time; most residents are just waking up then.

Extra Stout
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
For aesthetic effect, the arena should be made out of 100-year-old brick overgrown with ivy and weeds, and there should be an extra wing of the building that looks "collapsed" for authenticity.

Medvedenko
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
What about Calgary, Alberta.....1.1 million people with Edmonton, Alberta just 2.5 hours away with 1 million as well....still a long shot... :)

smeagol
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

One hour time diference with the East Cost. Only an 8 hour flight from Miami or Dallas.

And best of all, we would not have to support the Spurs anymore :)

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-14-2007, 08:08 PM
The NBA won't go back to San Diego.

I can't see the Baltimore market supporting a team in-between the Sixer and Wiz.

I don't think Pittsburgh's a big basketball town, either. From what I know, I agree with what K-State Spurs said about St. Looey.

And y'know, despite all the talk, I think the support for a team in Vegas would suck unless they're a winner. That's probably the ultimate front-running town.
Of the 3 major sports, and MLB franchise is far and away the toughest kind of franchise to sustain (primarily because of broken MLB economics).

If Baltimore can support an MLB team in between teams in Phili and Wash... they can support an NBA team there.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
9. New York

NIIIICE!!

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Vancouver has been tried very recently. Don't remember all the reasons for the Grizzlies move to Memphis, but I'm assuming the franchise wasn't a giant success up north.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM

St. Louis is 50% larger (overall metro area) than Kansas City. (1.5 mill vs. 2.3 mill). That doesn't mean KC can't be a good basketball city... there's more to it than just population.

I live in Atlanta, which is the 8th largest market in the country, and the Hawks probably didn't enjoy as much support as they deserved when they were good. In recent years of course, this franchise has been a mess, so it's hard to blame people for not showing up.

But population is important. I like the the odds of a city of 2.3 mill supporting 3 major pro sports franchises better than I like the chances of a 1.5 million-city successfully doing so.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Moving the Sonics is a travesty! They should stay in Seattle for reasons of history and the fact that it is a growing, high income city and a doorway to Asia, and the hornets should move back to OKC where they got great support.

Moving the Sonics to OKC makes no sense whatsoever to me.

clubalien
11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I am in favor of okc getting a team
I am oppoed to san antonio getting a football team though ( don;t wan to losee dallas cowboy media coverage)

itzsoweezee
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
other than OKC (b/c it'd be the only major league team in town), i can't see any of these cities getting excited about basketball.

4 - Tampa Bay: 19th largest city in the country, and the second largest w/out an NBA team.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting the NBA place franchises in all 8 cities. I merely saying that they could place a franchise in any of the 8.

Spurminator
11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Vancouver has been tried very recently. Don't remember all the reasons for the Grizzlies move to Memphis, but I'm assuming the franchise wasn't a giant success up north.

Most of it had to do with the utter ineptitude of the front office.

remingtonbo2001
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Personally, I think it's the Clippers that should move to OKC. Aren't the Lakers enough? It's time for the Clippers to take their own identity. The league should have a policy which states, there shall be no city with two commited teams. Really, is it neccessary? Talk about a bunch of greedy bastards. :lol

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Personally, I think it's the Clippers that should move to OKC. Aren't the Lakers enough? It's time for the Clippers to take their own identity. The league should have a policy which states, there shall be no city with two commited teams. Really, is it neccessary? Talk about a bunch of greedy bastards. :lol

I respect what the Hornets owner is trying to do, but I think at some point he'll have to give in to reality. New Orleans can't really support this team anymore. OKC is probably where they belong now.

I agree that the Clippers need to move. Why would they want to continue playing eternal second-fiddle in LA??

I think the Hornets should move back to OKC, and the Clips should land either back in San Diego, or in St. Louis.

Avitus1
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
I'd like to see one in Oklahoma City.

exstatic
11-15-2007, 12:28 AM
1 - St. Louis - had it, didn't support it.
3 - San Diego - had it, didn't support it.
5 - Baltimore - had it, didn't support it.
8 - Cincinnati - had it, didn't support it.

Buddy Holly
11-15-2007, 12:53 AM
I am oppoed to san antonio getting a football team though ( don;t wan to losee dallas cowboy media coverage)

Oh god, I'd favor that like Georgia would a flood! I am so sick and tired of the Cowboy coverage locally, it's sickening.

KSAT actually recently covered some needless story about the Cowboys before they did Spurs game results, on game night.

Greg Simmons couldn't lose the erection quick enough.

florige
11-15-2007, 01:06 AM

I think we would support it if it came to town. Of course thats me being a Baltimore homer. I totally despise the Wizards. That was the same thing people said about us getting the Ravens that we wouldn't support them. Those freakin PSL seat licenses are sold out for like 20 years or something like that.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Of the 3 major sports, and MLB franchise is far and away the toughest kind of franchise to sustain (primarily because of broken MLB economics).

If Baltimore can support an MLB team in between teams in Phili and Wash... they can support an NBA team there.Yeah, but in baseball, the Orioles were there waaaay before the Nationals, so they're by far the established product. Even with that, Orioles' ownership fought for years to prevent a team in DC precisely because a lot of their draw came from that area.

I think the jury may still be out on how well the Baltimore/DC market supports two baseball teams. The saving grace may be they're in different leagues.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-15-2007, 11:39 PM

You're going back a ways my friend. The NBA has grown in overall following in the years since these cities had a pro basketball franchise.

Purple & Gold
11-16-2007, 01:30 AM
San Diego's had more teams than that, including the Rockets. But it's always been a Laker town.

ShoogarBear
11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
9. New York

davi78239
11-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh god, I'd favor that like Georgia would a flood! I am so sick and tired of the Cowboy coverage locally, it's sickening.

KSAT actually recently covered some needless story about the Cowboys before they did Spurs game results, on game night.

Greg Simmons couldn't lose the erection quick enough.

I know! They put the damn cowboys (like they're the San Antonio Cowboys) over our Professional franchise a lot and that does piss me off too. Hell, they'll put freakin High School Football before the Spurs. Talk about some Po Dunk shit!

exstatic
11-30-2007, 12:05 AM
You're going back a ways my friend. The NBA has grown in overall following in the years since these cities had a pro basketball franchise.
StL is a shrinking rust belt city, and is probably a worse market than they were in the 1950s. SD is literally fucking broke and may lose the Chargers if they aren't careful. Baltimore has proximity issues. Maybe Cincy....maybe.

lefty
11-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Montreal:

Hot Women :hungry:

Great Arena :tu

Super freezy winters :guin

1 NBA fan (me) :nerd

Yeah, that would be a raging success :lol :lol

Brutalis
11-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I have been silently hoping for a St. Louis team for a few years now. That would be really cool, Arkansas would start to look into traveling as majority already vacation in Branson and attend many Cards game. Most are Cards fans as am I although I don't follow baseball, at all.

Brutalis
11-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Montreal:

Beautiful sig. Haven't seen that pic before and don't care that is just my heart as a fan in a picture. :clap

MagnusKrauss
11-30-2007, 12:54 AM
What about Wyoming? The Clippers could move there and their name would still make sense.

or am i stupid?

ChumpDumper
11-30-2007, 01:11 AM
I think we would support it if it came to town. Of course thats me being a Baltimore homer. I totally despise the Wizards. That was the same thing people said about us getting the Ravens that we wouldn't support them. Those freakin PSL seat licenses are sold out for like 20 years or something like that.I don't even think city officials are thinking of attracting an NBA or NHL team -- any plans I've seen for a new arena aren't big enough for either. Maybe they'll get the Wizards' D-League team.

ATX Spur
11-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Montreal:

I will agree that there are some super hot girls from Montreal. :clap

atxrocker
11-30-2007, 03:03 AM
austin does not need an nba team but is still a better choice than some you shit heads are making.

JamStone
11-30-2007, 07:29 AM
The NBA needs to worry about the current NBA cities that don't deserve teams before adding. New Orleans and Atlanta to start off need to move their franchises, so those are two teams that can find new homes.

remingtonbo2001
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Hawaii!

Who would object to that. Everyone loves Hawaii. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
How about Victoria?

They could call them the Victoria Tards.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I keed, I keed.

lefty
11-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Beautiful sig. Haven't seen that pic before and don't care that is just my heart as a fan in a picture. :clap

Thanks

Stole it from Espn.com

lefty
11-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I will agree that there are some super hot girls from Montreal. :clap

Yup

Let's move the Spurs to Montreal :drunk

ShoogarBear
11-30-2007, 12:45 PM
:lol Nobody got the point of the bump.

sandman
11-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, the Pisces did good in Pittsburgh back in the '70's

Rip-Hamilton32
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Montreal:

plus the toronto vs montreal games would be fun to watch just like the canadians vs leafs

stretch
11-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I think Mianus, Conneticut deserves a team.

remingtonbo2001
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
The NBA needs to worry about the current NBA cities that don't deserve teams before adding. New Orleans and Atlanta to start off need to move their franchises, so those are two teams that can find new homes.

Uhhh.. THE CLIPPERS!

No city needs 2 teams of the same profession.

nkdlunch
11-30-2007, 04:42 PM

how about no

NBA league is shitty already, how much more shitty would it be with additional teams.

BTW New York, biggest city in the country does NOT deserve a team

lefty
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
plus the toronto vs montreal games would be fun to watch just like the canadians vs leafs

Damn, I completely forgot about the MTL - TO rivalry

mookie2001
11-30-2007, 09:31 PM
what has OKC proven?

SRJ
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
how about no

NBA league is shitty already, how much more shitty would it be with additional teams.

Furnish proof of this please, Mr. Simmons.

StylisticS
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Hell, they'll put freakin High School Football before the Spurs. Talk about some Po Dunk shit!
You do know you're in Texas, right? High School football runs Texas over any other thing in Texas, period.