PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: too many minutes for big3

toosmallshoes
11-14-2007, 04:22 AM
How can the Celtics keep up this pace if they have to play their big three 40 minutes apiece just to beat the Pacers? Those guys are going to be in wheelchairs by the all-star break at this rate.

bdictjames
11-14-2007, 05:02 AM
And they haven't played anybody yet who's a contender for the championship. Easy schedule they got.

ata
11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Career averages:
KG: 38,3 MPG
PP: 38,8 MPG
RA: 37,5 MPG

Players are used to it.

td4mvp3
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Career averages:

Players are used to it.
probably, but i'd be curious what their playoff career averages and then to realize that those guys, between them, have kg having gone the farthest in the playoffs ever, and he never made it to the title series.

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Career averages:

Players are used to it.

Yeah, and they're either used to go fishing early or booted in the 1st round. Playoff success is about endurance, not who can jerk off early in November.

da_suns_fan__
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Man....Spurs fans are so freaking insecure.

stretch
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Man....Spurs fans are so freaking insecure.
lol, ratings championship

Walter Craparita
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
lmao at firsttake questioning if the Celtics can go 70-12.

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Some highlights from the Celtics victory over the mighty Indiana Pacers:

Suddenly awakened, Pierce even did push-ups between free throws to taunt the crowd. Moments later, after Pierce went baseline for a thunderous dunk, a Celtics player on the bench shouted, "Oops, you got him mad! Uh-oh!"

Uh, lame.

highlights (highlights]game recap[/URL]

Walter Craparita
11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I hope they go 82-0 and then get swept by the Spurs in the finals.

Reggie Miller
11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
How can the Celtics keep up this pace if they have to play their big three 40 minutes apiece just to beat the Pacers? Those guys are going to be in wheelchairs by the all-star break at this rate.

Pacers/Celtics is actually a grudge match. The turnover in personnel has changed the dynamic a lot over the years, but these two teams basically hate each other. They have been feuding since the Larry Bird era.

At times like this, I miss Jack. I don't think he would have put up with that crap. This kind of noise also meant a guaranteed shooting outburst from Reggie.

I'm used to the Pacers completely owning the Celtics since Bird and McHale retired. (They were the Pacers' playoff nemesis for a few years prior to that.) If this keeps up, they may pass New York as "second most-hated" team. Oh well...

ludda
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Celtics and their fans can jerk off to their 6-0...after all, after years of sucking, it's expected that the team and fans would be pumped up and trying to ride the hype.

However, the season will wear on and I think it would be smart to give the starters a rest...playing in a blowout against the leastern teams is unnecessary. And so far their only competition has been the Raptors, who took the game close in OT.

Good for the Celtics. I'm really interested in seeing them play the top teams from the West.

Findog
11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
They look damn good so far.

5 Questions I have about that club:

1) Their coach

2) Their PG situation

3) Can they play 100 games a year at playoff intensity like they're doing now?

4) Injury history to some of their players

5) Depth and their bench

resistanze
11-14-2007, 05:31 PM
They look damn good so far.

5 Questions I have about that club:

1) Their coach

2) Their PG situation

3) Can they play 100 games a year at playoff intensity like they're doing now?

4) Injury history to some of their players

5) Depth and their bench
True that. I wanna see them face some top opponents though, their toughest opponent has been the Raptors! They don't play the Pistons or Jazz till December, and the Rockets/Suns/Mavs/SPur till net year.

I gotta admit though, it's fun watching them play.

Findog
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
True that. I wanna see them face some top opponents though, their toughest opponent has been the Raptors! They don't play the Pistons or Jazz till December, and the Rockets/Suns/Mavs/SPur till net year.

I gotta admit though, it's fun watching them play.

And the Raptors took them to overtime, and I think they're a good, not great team. They're simply not going to be able to sustain that energy for 100 games. They need to pace themselves.

Bruno
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
It's the start of the season and Boston has a whole new team. Giving heavy minutes to the big 3 can help to build the chemistry faster.
If Rivers continue to play them 40mpg at the ASG, it will be more worrying for them.

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Another blowout victory for the Celtics. Sure, it was against an eastern team, but they are looking damn impressive at the moment.

If you can get 3 hungry superstars on the same page, you've got a good chance at contending.

They seem like the kind of team that could cause matchup problems for the Spurs. Spread the floor, similar to what Dallas does to us.

At any rate, it appears the NBA got the story it desperately wanted.

NBA Junkie
11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Too many minutes won't be a concern if they keep blowing teams out.

Cry Havoc
11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Another blowout victory for the Celtics. Sure, it was against an eastern team, but they are looking damn impressive at the moment.

If you can get 3 hungry superstars on the same page, you've got a good chance at contending.

They seem like the kind of team that could cause matchup problems for the Spurs. Spread the floor, similar to what Dallas does to us.

At any rate, it appears the NBA got the story it desperately wanted.

I think a distinction at this point should be made. It's easy to win in the reg. season with talent. That's what boston has now. Talent translates to a great regular season record (see: Phoenix, Dallas) but does not give you a title.

This team might make the Finals, but I wouldn't put them above any of the West's top 4 until they show they can compete when it counts.

1Parker1
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Why'd they play so many minutes yesterday if the game was a blowout?

sickdsm
11-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Playing blowout games is like shootaround for those guys. KG was fatigued other seasons because 40 minutes meant 40 minutes of 2-3 defenders draped over him, pushing him off the block and being forced to be at the top of his game just to be in the game late.

He's not being wore out in these games.

sickdsm
11-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Plus, why is everyone complaining about the weak competition? Didn't we all know thats why any western player would be able to coast in the east? Get used to it. That should rest him up more than what he's been used to in years past.

1Parker1
11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
It doesn't matter what you call it...shootaround, etc. If your team is up 15-20 points there is no reason to player your big game players 40 minutes, especially considering the risk of injury.

Reggie Miller
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
It's the start of the season and Boston has a whole new team. Giving heavy minutes to the big 3 can help to build the chemistry faster.
If Rivers continue to play them 40mpg at the ASG, it will be more worrying for them.

This isn't Mikey Danny Tony. Rivers doesn't really have a history of burning the candle on both ends. I wouldn't play them this much, but I think Bruno is correct as to why he's doing it. I expect Rivers to back off the minutes in a few weeks.

icem
11-16-2007, 04:59 AM
And the Raptors took them to overtime, and I think they're a good, not great team. They're simply not going to be able to sustain that energy for 100 games. They need to pace themselves.

smh @ the logic on display in this thread.... some of you are you just really stupid.

but anyway, right now the big 3 are playing less minutes than they did last season.

IMO, the celtics are better than the suns already because they are much better defensively, and at least as good as the mavs and spurs.

Reggie Miller
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
smh @ the logic on display in this thread.... some of you are you just really stupid.

but anyway, right now the big 3 are playing less minutes than they did last season.

IMO, the celtics are better than the suns already because they are much better defensively, and at least as good as the mavs and spurs.

...because the Timberwolves, Sonics, and Celtics went so deep in the playoffs last year, there is no doubt they can maintain this pace again this season. Oh wait, that's completely false. Nice logic, there...

Findog
11-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Yeah, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett routinely play 100 games a year.

sribb43
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
they look good but the best team they beat was the Nuggets (easily I might add). they have beat

@ Raptors (nice win)
@ Pacers (bad team)
@ Nets (w/ VC; nice win)
Nets (w/o VC)
Washington (awful team right now)
ATL (rising team but cant win on road)
Nuggets(convincing win)

All I'm saying is what and see on this team before people think they are going to win 70 games. I think the lack of depth will catch up with them especially in the regular season

icem
11-16-2007, 03:06 PM
...because the Timberwolves, Sonics, and Celtics went so deep in the playoffs last year, there is no doubt they can maintain this pace again this season. Oh wait, that's completely false. Nice logic, there...

uhm, im talking about MINUTES PER GAME you fucking genius, not total minutes.

also, playing 38 minutes alongside two other all-stars who take pressure off you is not the same as 38 minutes when you are the main focus of a defense.

boston will be just fine

Reggie Miller
11-16-2007, 03:36 PM
uhm, im talking about MINUTES PER GAME you fucking genius, not total minutes.

also, playing 38 minutes alongside two other all-stars who take pressure off you is not the same as 38 minutes when you are the main focus of a defense.

boston will be just fine

Yes, those two numbers are completely unrelated. You're shaming me, Mr. Spock.

Amare_32
11-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Much ado about nothing. I imagine once the Celtics have the division won you will see the Big 3 play less minutes or sit out games.

Amare_32
11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I can't wait to see the Celts play the top West teams. Those will be fun games.

milkyway21
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Career averages:

Players are used to it.that's what I said too.

and tonight they moved to 8-0(against Miami). 1 pt game. Blew an 15-pt lead, almost lost but stayed perfect despite a near 4th Q meltdown :lol

KG -41 minutes
Allen - 45 minutes

but
Pierce played only 35 minutes

I think the minutes for these "bit 3" are upped bec of the weak bench.

Right now i think Boston are licking their lips to face and see if this time they can beat the Celtic's hard-to-beat Tim Duncan's Spurs.

Amare_32
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
they look good but the best team they beat was the Nuggets (easily I might add). they have beat

@ Raptors (nice win)
@ Pacers (bad team)
@ Nets (w/ VC; nice win)
Nets (w/o VC)
Washington (awful team right now)
ATL (rising team but cant win on road)
Nuggets(convincing win)

All I'm saying is what and see on this team before people think they are going to win 70 games. I think the lack of depth will catch up with them especially in the regular season

They are not winning 70 games. By the time they reach 55 - 60 wins I won't be surprised if the Big 3 play limited minutes or are shut down the last week of the regular season.

Amare_32
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
that's what I said too.

and tonight they moved to 8-0(against Miami). 1 pt game. Blew an 15-pt lead, almost lost but stayed perfect despite a near meltdwon :lol

KG -41 minutes
Allen - 45 minutes

but
Pierce played only 35 minutes

I think the minutes for these "bit 3" are upped bec of the weak bench.

Right now i think Boston are licking their lips to face and see if this time they can beat the Celtic's hard-to-beat Tim Duncan's Spurs.

Boston will split the 2 games with the Spurs,Suns and Mavs. I don't see either of those 3 teams winning in Boston. I don't know the schedule but I am willing to bet that Mavs,Spurs and Suns play the Celtics as part of a B2B.

pawe
11-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Allen's gonna come off the bench once they got a taste of the premium teams..it's the current trend right now.

Amare_32
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Allen's gonna come off the bench once they got a taste of the premium teams..it's the current trend right now.

They need to find a way to get Tony Allen going. He was playing well last year prior to the injury he suffered from the dunk. Other then that I like thier bench. Posey hit some big shots and played Wade well on the last shot.

pawe
11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Wade shoulda drove his way to the lane rather than taking a jumper. Who am i anyway, Wade's the man, the man always know what to do.

K-State Spur
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
either of those 3 teams

Well said, well spoken B.G.

milkyway21
11-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Boston will split the 2 games with the Spurs,Suns and Mavs. I don't see either of those 3 teams winning in Boston. I don't know the schedule but I am willing to bet that Mavs,Spurs and Suns play the Celtics as part of a B2B.

Spurs will be facing them @ Boston Feb 10 and March 17 @ AT&T.