PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis wanted to show the Seattle SuperSonics what they were missing. @ 0-8

spurscenter
11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Orlando 103, Seattle 76

http://www.bballcity.com/images/2007/_thumbs/500x2000-rashard-lewis.jpg

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
November 13, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Rashard Lewis wanted to show the Seattle SuperSonics what they were missing. He wished it hadn't come in his former team's NBA-leading eighth consecutive loss.

Lewis scored 22 points, 19 in the first half, against the franchise that drafted him out of high school nine years ago, and the Magic won 103-76 Tuesday night.

The SuperSonics have not won since April 7 of last season, when Lewis was still on their side and went for 35 points against the Utah Jazz. It is the worst start in franchise history, surpassing an 0-6 streak in 1969-70.

"I kind of root for some of those guys, especially the way they've started off," Lewis said. "I wanted them to get rolling, at least get a couple of wins under their belt. Like I said, I'm still close friends with some of the guys on the team, so I wish them the best."

Two other NBA teams are winless, but Minnesota and Golden State have only played five games. The loss opened a five-game East Coast road trip for Seattle, which will get another chance Wednesday against Miami.

The Magic improved to 6-2, despite committing 26 turnovers compared with 17 for Seattle. The Magic were averaging 13 turnovers, second in the league, but committed 16 in the first half alone.

Along with Dwight Howard, Lewis rested the fourth quarter. Howard had only one first-half point, but finished with 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Hedo Turkoglu scored 17 points and Trevor Ariza had 11 points and 11 rebounds. Keith Bogans scored 16 points on 5-of-9 3-point shooting to help bust Seattle's zone defense.

"I had my shot going early in the game and was able to knock down a bunch of 3s, and then Keith got his shot going in the second half," Lewis said.

Kevin Durant continued to struggle from the field as Seattle shot a season-worst 34 percent. The heralded rookie was 2-for-8 in the first half, getting just four points off a dunk and fast-break layup. He didn't make his first jumper until the third quarter, and finished with 10 points on 4-for-13 shooting.

"I'm just playing basketball," Durant said. "The spotlight is coming from the media -- I try not to get into that. I just want to play basketball and try and get better and help my team get better."

Nick Collison led Seattle with 15 points -- including 10 of the SuperSonics' 20 points in the third quarter. Rookie Jeff Green added 12 points, all in the second quarter, on an impressive array of jumpers, drives and even a 10-foot hook.

"I'm pleased with both our guys," Seattle coach P.J. Carlesimo said of the rookies. "Obviously tonight Jeff was better. Both of our guys are coming along. It's a fair question, but they're eight games in. It's such a learning process it's incredible."

Green's put-back dunk three minutes into the second quarter drew Seattle to 29-23, but the SuperSonics would get no closer.

Orlando missed its first eight shots, and didn't score a field goal for the first four minutes. The Sonics took advantage for an early 8-1 lead, but quickly fell behind when Lewis got started. He was 5-of-6 in the first quarter, including 2-of-2 from 3-point range.

"You put up good numbers and just kind of let them know what they missed," he said.

LOTTERY TIME FOR SEATTLE

HOW EXCITING!

Findog
11-14-2007, 08:19 AM
What are they missing? $110 million over the next 6 years for a guy who scores 20 points a game and does nothing else?

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
What are they missing? $110 million over the next 6 years for a guy who scores 20 points a game and does nothing else?
exactly. Seattle is going to take their lumps now, but they've got a solid coach and a superstar in the making to build upon. They're going to be just fine. Unless of course they move to Oklahoma City, Durant realizes he doesn't want to play in a shitty city like that, and he bolts for the Lakers (or Mavs :smokin ).