PDA

View Full Version : Kobe said it

SpurOutofTownFan
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
"They're a defensive team first,'' Bryant said. "That's what they hang their hats on. That's what wins championships.''

http://www.nba.com/games/20071113/LALSAS/recap.html

For those of you who didn't pay specific attention to this. I don't recall the 2000s Lakers winning rings based on defense but I guess Kobe finally realized it.

whottt
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Those Lakers could play D...they didn't play it like the Spurs, or with the same devotion...but they definitely could play D. More importantly...Phil was a master of figuring out who the choker on the Spurs was, and sending his defender onto Duncan.

I'd say their defense was a huge reason why they beat us every time but 2001.
And they defended us well in that series too...but they also destroyed us offensively.

Extra Stout
11-14-2007, 01:28 PM
"They're a defensive team first,'' Bryant said. "That's what they hang their hats on. That's what wins championships.''

http://www.nba.com/games/20071113/LALSAS/recap.html

For those of you who didn't pay specific attention to this. I don't recall the 2000s Lakers winning rings based on defense but I guess Kobe finally realized it.
They were an elite defensive squad when they wanted to be. That's why guys like Harper and Fox were on the team.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree. Defense and adjustments were what beat the Spurs.

BeerIsGood!
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
They did the same things to Duncan that they did last night in those series, but just sub guys like Manu and TP for Steve Smith and Hedo. That was the problem that was fixed through the front office, now the Spurs have cold blooded guys who will destroy you if you crowd TD the way the Lakers do.

Medvedenko
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Kobe is not dumb....oh and those Laker teams from 99-04 were solid defensive teams. Shaq down low with Horace Grant/AC Green/Horry at the 4 was damn good. Also having Kobe, harp, fox...great veteran defense with Kobe attacking the wings and gambling. Nowadays I say Kobe is more savvy, but he has to do the d too much on his own.

SenorSpur
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Obviously Kobe is one of the better defenders in this league. Nice to see he has an appreciation for the opposition. Kinda sounds like a defeated man, in a way.

spursfan09
11-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I always remember the Lakers coming up with big defensive stops at the end. They were very much known for thier defense...

baseline bum
11-14-2007, 03:30 PM
If you don't think the Lakers were a hell of a defensive team, go back and watch Rick Fox and Kobe Bryant completely shut off the Spurs outside shooting in the 01 WCF. Horry and Fisher were really good defensive players for that team also.

nfg3
11-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Kobe is not dumb....oh and those Laker teams from 99-04 were solid defensive teams. Shaq down low with Horace Grant/AC Green/Horry at the 4 was damn good. Also having Kobe, harp, fox...great veteran defense with Kobe attacking the wings and gambling. Nowadays I say Kobe is more savvy, but he has to do the d too much on his own. :tu

Agreed. I was impressed with Kobe during the FIBA games in Vegas. He played great D as he shut down Barbosa when the USA played Brazil. But he had Kidd and Billups to run the point. He could rely on other players to make shots. But that's team USA vs. the Lakers. Kobe flatly doesn't have the support group to get the job done. He needs another star with better role players to be more competitive. And that doeosn't seem to be happening either now or in the near future.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
They were an elite defensive squad when they wanted to be. That's why guys like Harper and Fox were on the team.

Exactly!