PDA

View Full Version : Avery On The Ticket

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
With Norm, Avery just said that he wants to limit Eddie Jones' minutes all season to keep him fresh for the playoffs. He seemed to be unhappy with Hassell thus far, and said that it's very likely he'll experiment with starting Maurice Ager at SG.

:clap I'm a big fan of this idea and I'm looking forward to finally seeing if Mo Ager can make some real contributions.

Findog
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing it will be a short-lived experiment. Both Stack and Eddie need to keep their minutes down. No hurt in letting the kid sink or swim, but it seems like all he wants to do is chuck up shots.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing it will be a short-lived experiment. Both Stack and Eddie need to keep their minutes down. No hurt in letting the kid sink or swim, but it seems like all he wants to do is chuck up shots.
In the games where Stackhouse's shot is off, is he any better than what little we've seen of Ager? I love Stack but nothing drives me nuts more than seeing him chuck up shots when he obviously doesn't have his shot working for him, and then Avery stubbornly keeps him in there. Ager might as well be in there those games.

There's definitely no harm in finally seeing what Ager's got, and seeing if he can possibly replace Stackhouse's role on the team once Stack gets too old.

Findog
11-14-2007, 12:55 PM
In the games where Stackhouse's shot is off, is he any better than what little we've seen of Ager? There's no harm in finally seeing what Ager's got, and seeing if he can possibly replace Stackhouse's role on the team once Stack gets too old.

Stack is a good passer and at this point of his career won't chuck it up 25 times a game instead of getting it to the guys that are hot. Stack also gives this team a physical toughness they would otherwise lack and even when his shot is off, he commands a lot of attention from the defense.

That said, it's a long hard slog, and I want him fresh for the playoffs. If that means Ager gets 15 minutes a night, so be it. I'm not expecting anything out of him really, but it looks like Avery is doing two things: getting everybody some burn this early in the season in order to see what he has outside of the guys he knows (Dirk, Josh, Jet, etc), as well as keeping minutes down. At this point I don't know if Ager has more value as contract filler in a potential trade or for what he can do on the court. If she shows he can play at all, he might be an attractive piece to land something else in February.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I think Ager can be more than that. Despite his spotty shooting so far, this kid was a great shooter in college and has potential to be a nice scorer.

Every year the Mavs get sucked into thinking they have a deep bench, and every postseason we get exposed because nobody on the bench can score points. We've remedied that - sort of - by moving Jet to the bench, but that just means our starting SG can't score now.

Maybe Eddie Jones will give us a little more later on, but right now I see us having 3 consistent scorers (Dirk, Howard, Terry), 3 hot/cold guys (Stack, Harris, Bass), and the rest of the team can't be counted on for anything - whatever we get from them is just a bonus.

I have a feeling that, just like the past few postseasons, we're going to bitch about how our bench isn't giving us shit as far as scoring goes. If we can give Ager some time and establish him as a bench scorer, then that problem goes out the window. Same goes for JJ Barea.

Findog
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Maybe Eddie Jones will give us a little more later on, but right now I see us having 3 consistent scorers (Dirk, Howard, Terry), 3 hot/cold guys (Stack, Harris, Bass), and the rest of the team can't be counted on for anything - whatever we get from them is just a bonus.

If by "anything" you are only referring to scoring, I'd agree. Those three are the only guys that are going to get their numbers every night.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
If by "anything" you are only referring to scoring, I'd agree. Those three are the only guys that are going to get their numbers every night.
yeah i'm just talking about scoring here. last season we got sucked into thinking "oh george can hit the 3 and buckner can hit the 3" and we thought our bench was incredibly deep, but it turned out our bench was a HUGE weakness in the playoffs.

the year before, Van Horn gave us some offense but wasn't consistent, Griffin wasn't going to give us much on offense to begin with, and Daniels was in the doghouse for reasons uknown.

we need an established bench scorer besides Stackhouse (i'm still counting Terry as a "starter" here). Maybe Eddie Jones is that guy when he gets into the flow of things, but right now we're in the same situation as last season. If Ager shows he belongs in the NBA, then we've got our bench scorer.

Bruno
11-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Hasn't Avery said at the start of the season that he wanted to start Stackhouse ?
If he has said that, why has he changed his mind ?

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Hasn't Avery said at the start of the season that he wanted to start Stackhouse ?
If he has said that, why has he changed his mind ?
i'm not sure, i guess he still likes Stack off the bench. He's been putting Jones in the starting SG spot but now it looks like he would rather have Jones off the bench too.

Bruno
11-14-2007, 06:07 PM
If it continues, he will maybe decide to start the game with 4 players. :spin

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 06:07 PM
If it continues, he will maybe decide to start the game with 4 players. :spin
:lol

Shank
11-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Maybe he's run into the problem of having too many bodies to juggle. He does have the ability to wheel out a number of different decent lineups.

pking
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Ager makes me want to shoot myself.