PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry Redux, or why Tpark should suck an egg

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
3rd quarter:

6:22 55-55 Brent Barry enters the game for Emanuel Ginobili.

4th quarter:

5:15 76-84 Emanuel Ginobili enters the game for Brent Barry.

Also of note:

Robert Horry....

16 minutes, 2-5 FG, 4-4 FT, 8 points, 4 boards, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 assist.

It's a good thing we didn't play them last night, winning sucks.

SequSpur
12-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Agree. Horry should fucking start next to Duncan

ALVAREZ6
12-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Word

boutons
12-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Horry can't play 30 mins. After tonight, he won't be recuperated until the ASB.

Walton Buys Off Me
12-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Barry was instrumental in tonight's win.

Pop- keep Brown for garbage time!

whottt
12-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Rasho D'ed up tonight after Horry went in ahead of him.

It's not either or....It's not this guy over that one...

It's all of them.

It's...IMO this is one of the deepest benches in NBA history....use it...Every game.

We won this game because Pop didn't have his head stuck up his ass for the first time this season in a big game.

IMO, if the worm turns and Malik or Rasho and Devin now start rotting on the bench, we will be the weaker team for it...just like we are with Horry and Barry rotting...All have different skills and different ways of impacting the game...it lies on Pop to find the right combination in each game...

But this bench, and these starters...we should be the dominant team in the NBA this season and one of the most dominant in a long time...if we don't it'll be because Pop doesn't know how to use all the talent on this team.

The sucess or failure of this team...it's all on Pop. 100%.

Brent Barry doesn't suck.
Robert Horry doesn't suck.
Malik Rose doesn't suck.
I don't think Devin Brown sucks.
Ditto Beno...Pop has to figure out how to use them...

And again I ask(it was my question not Segu's by the way) where in the fuck was Horry last night?

SequSpur
12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Horry can't play 30 mins. After tonight, he won't be recuperated until the ASB.

:rolleyes

The Spurs looked unbeatable with that lineup in there. Horry starting for the Lakers helped them win 3 rings.

Rasho starting has made the Spurs look like the TWolves and an early vacation.

ducks
12-23-2004, 10:50 PM
barry passed rasho the ball in good postion 2 and got no assist for it

tp made his basket though

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2004, 10:53 PM
The other thing about Barry is he doesn't half ass his passes like some of the other Spurs. It's always on a frozen rope and it always hits whoever he wants to get it to right in the hands.

But the dude sucks, and his defense is horrible.[/tpark]

whottt
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Barry totally changes the offensive demeanor of this team. I don't care if it shows up in his stats or not...our offense always starts clicking when he is in the game.

He also continued a trend of hitting big shots...he has done this all season...

The money lineup on this team is Parker, Manu, Barry, Horry and Duncan.

That line up is the shit...it's as good on the court as it looks on paper. It should be the line up we use any time we are in trouble. We should give that lineup a try, at least twice per game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2004, 10:56 PM
It should be the line up we use any time we are in trouble. We should give that lineup a try, at least twice per game.

No, it should be the lineup at least 15 minutes each game.

GoSpurs21
12-23-2004, 11:01 PM
actually when the Spurs are playing the best defense (switching successfully and contesting every shot) that is the key to success. their fast break offense is a direct result of this. I guess its just hard to play at such a high level for 48 min

i dont really think the line up matters that much as long as everyone on the floor buys into playing defense at such a high level

Brent was great on offense tonight but he still didnt switch that well and alot of the time his defense is standing with hands down. he really needs to get his hand up on defense

T Park
12-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Good.

Lets see him play like this against the Celtics.

If he brings the same game against the Celtics like he did last night, then he deserves critique.

BTW, No, FT bitching, or "This win is on Pop" tonight?

Typical.

whottt
12-23-2004, 11:07 PM
This win is on Pop...

Pop made the right decisions...for the first time this season in a big game...Finally he saw it...

Our FT shooting did help...but you fail to notice that Horry and Barry were perfect from the FT line.

And IMO Barry was the main reason we didn't lose the first Celtic game...that pair of midrange buckets he hit kept us from blowing yet another lead.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Someone already beat me to this win is on Pop, I'm not here to copy other people's thoughts like you.

Oh, and it takes more than one game to convince me it's anything resembling a trend, but it is a good start.

T Park
12-23-2004, 11:26 PM
If Barry plays, hes good.

If Barry doesnt play, then no, hes bad.

Interesting.

smeagol
12-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Tpark, if you can't see the trend, then you are truly dumb.

T Park
12-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Tpark, if you can't see the trend, then you are truly dumb.

Bite me smeagol.

Playing Brent Barry is not an automatic win.

Bring a take instead of insults.

smeagol
12-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Not much I can type with my wife sleeping beside me.

My take is: Pop, learn how to play Barry.

The trend is there. It has been pointed out by whottt, AHF and others.

Pop is an excellent coach, but he is not God. He makes mistakes which cost the Spurs games.

Over the last couple of games he has made the mistake of not using the bench.

But nevertheless, you defend him and attack Barry.

You do need to get off his nutsack.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Not much I can type with my wife sleeping beside me.

My take is: Pop, learn how to play Barry.

The trend is there. It has been pointed out by whottt, AHF and others.

Pop is an excellent coach, but he is not God. He makes mistakes which cost the Spurs games.

Over the last couple of games he has made the mistake of not using the bench.

But nevertheless, you defend him and attack Barry.

You do need to get off his nutsack.My take is Barry buy into spending some energy on defense and the minutes will come. Come on Brent make the commitment to excellance. Defense wins championships...at least get your hand up on defense.

I agree Pop makes mistakes (see houston game) but I hate it when our players watch the shooter instead of putting their hands up on defense. I think everyone on the team is guilty of this from time to time, but some more than others.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-24-2004, 12:19 AM
If Barry plays, hes good.

If Barry doesnt play, then no, hes bad.

Interesting.

Well, you are one of the Popsuckers who always says it.

Why didn't he play? "Well, Pop says he ain't playing D, so yeah he doesn't deserve to play."

Playing Brent Barry is not an automatic win.

Spurs record in games where Barry plays more than 10 minutes: 18-3 (.857).
Spurs record in games where Barry plays less than 10 minutes: 3-3 (.500).

Good call there Tpark.

By the way, we have the same record for greater than/less than 10 minutes with Horry.

MannyIsGod
12-24-2004, 12:35 AM

No fucking shit. I'm tired of that thin haired white boy fucking up 2 foot shots.

smeagol
12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
My take is Barry buy into spending some energy on defense and the minutes will come. Come on Brent make the commitment to excellance. Defense wins championships...at least get your hand up on defense.
The Spurs did not bring Barry to excel at playing defense. He came to SA to bust the zone by dropping threes and helping the team's O with his passes, courtvision, etc. And if the guy is in a slump, Pop is not helping him by playing him only 2 minutes. SA is already the best diffensive team in a number of categories with Barry "sucking at it". What does Pop want? To hold his opponents at 60 ppg. and 20% from the field?

GoSpurs, the concept is not that difficult to grasp.

toosmallshoes
12-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Barry and Devin are both good players, but the thing that makes Barry better is that he makes other players better. where devin would dribble and try to find his shot barry keeps the ball moving and helps someone else find a shot. the ball moves very well with barry on the court. he needs to get his place back as first option off the bench above devin.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-24-2004, 02:06 AM
For the 87 billionth time.

The Spurs did not bring in Brent Barry, nor Robert Horry, to groom to take Bowen's spot on the league's All-Defense list.

They brought them in to go in and hit shots when teams are draping three guys on Tim and to energize the offense when the starters look like they care as much as the Clippers usually do in May.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 04:04 AM
The Spurs did not bring Barry to excel at playing defense. He came to SA to bust the zone by dropping threes and helping the team's O with his passes, courtvision, etc. And if the guy is in a slump, Pop is not helping him by playing him only 2 minutes. SA is already the best diffensive team in a number of categories with Barry "sucking at it". What does Pop want? To hold his opponents at 60 ppg. and 20% from the field?

GoSpurs, the concept is not that difficult to grasp.where the fuck have you been? If Barry is going to continue and play crappy defense then he will be stuck on the bench. So far Barry has produced shit against the zone on offense with wide open oppertunities. Again if Barry would do the simple task of getting his hands up on defense he would see more minutes. Pop can live with missed shots but Barry looks like he is barely even trying to provide offense. And if Barry is going to missed open oppertunities than he deserves to be benched. If it takes Barry minutes to get out of his shooting woes and he is not going to play something resembling defense he deserves to be benched

T Park
12-24-2004, 04:08 AM
No one said they had to be defensive stoppers.

But not playing the song "blew by me" everytime down the court would be nice.

If Barry can be competant and decent on defense, I think thats good enough for Pop.

smeagol
12-24-2004, 12:55 PM
where the fuck have you been? If Barry is going to continue and play crappy defense then he will be stuck on the bench. So far Barry has produced shit against the zone on offense with wide open oppertunities. Again if Barry would do the simple task of getting his hands up on defense he would see more minutes. Pop can live with missed shots but Barry looks like he is barely even trying to provide offense. And if Barry is going to missed open oppertunities than he deserves to be benched. If it takes Barry minutes to get out of his shooting woes and he is not going to play something resembling defense he deserves to be benched
You are asking me where I have been? Where have you been!

I have seen every Spurs game since the start of the season. I have seen (and the statistics prove my point) how effective the team is with Barry and Horry playing, even if the shots are not falling, even if their defense is sub-par.

And please, don't make it sound as Barry does not play any defense at all. That makes you look dumb.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 06:00 PM
You are asking me where I have been? Where have you been!

I have seen every Spurs game since the start of the season. I have seen (and the statistics prove my point) how effective the team is with Barry and Horry playing, even if the shots are not falling, even if their defense is sub-par.

And please, don't make it sound as Barry does not play any defense at all. That makes you look dumb.What makes you look dumb is claiming that the Spurs will win because Barry hits one or two shots in a game. The Spurs win with defense. The Spurs offense is created by great defense (see just about every win this year). As long as Barry does not provide a small resemblance of defense instead of that matador act he pulls, he is not the reason the Spurs win. And if you think it is you need to have your head examined.

I agree with TPark, Pop will live with minimal effort, but he expects some effort. And right now I guess I dont see any effort, maybe if you took off you Barry colored glasses you would see that the defense effort he brings is sub-Spur like.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Barry brings a lot more to the offensive game flow than one or two buckets a game, and if you disagree you haven't been watching.

smeagol
12-24-2004, 06:37 PM
What makes you look dumb is claiming that the Spurs will win because Barry hits one or two shots in a game.
Please re-read my posts. In all of them I say that it doesn't matter if Barry is hitting his threes. He brings other things to the table. And eventually he will start hitting his threes.

I agree with TPark, Pop will live with minimal effort, but he expects some effort.
There's your problem . . . :lol

And right now I guess I dont see any effort, maybe if you took off you Barry colored glasses you would see that the defense effort he brings is sub-Spur like.
My glasses are Manu-colored :lol