PDA

View Full Version : Erick Dampier calls out mono

Findog
11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/home_display.php

The company line from the Mavs staff has Erick Dampier as a critically important piece of the puzzle because of everything from his rebounding prowess to his skill in setting picks for Dirk, and that all that “hugely important’’ junk has been missing while Damp has nursed a rehabbed a shoulder injury for the last few months.

The initial reaction is to not buy it; isn’t ‘Gana rebounding just fine? Can’t pretty much anybody set a screen? I mean, it’s just Damp, right?

My apologies to the Mavs staff for distrusting the company line.

“Damp,’’ coach Avery Johnson, “looked really good tonight. Oh boy!’’

In just a few reserve minutes in the first quarter, Damp – making his first appearance of the season -- recorded an assist, set a screen for a score, and then punctuated a pick-and-roll with a resounding dunk. In total, Dampier played 12 highly effective minutes, contributing seven points, seven rebounds, and yes, pick-setting muscle.

“People who know the game,’’ Damp said on the eve of his debut, “know what I do.’’

That's right, $10 million a year to not completely suck, just partially suck.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 03:29 PM
:lol

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 03:30 PM
“People who know the game,’’ Damp said on the eve of his debut, “know what I do.’’
Apparently it's beating Sam Dalembert & Chris Kaman to shit and then letting Amare & Shaq cram it down your throat 10-15 times a game.

stretch
11-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Apparently it's beating Sam Dalembert & Chris Kaman to shit and then letting Amare & Shaq cram it down your throat 10-15 times a game.
As pretty much every other center in the league does, except for Big Ben, and Marcus Camby. Not to mention that Amare can't even defend Luis Scola on his worst night.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 03:34 PM
As pretty much every other center in the league does, except for Big Ben, and Marcus Camby. Not to mention that Amare can't even defend Luis Scola on his worst night.
which puzzles me as to how Dampier can manage to also suck on offense when the Suns come to town.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
and Chris Kaman was a bad example of a shitty player Damp is capable of dominating.

Honestly I'd rather have Kaman. Last year's version.

Findog
11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
which puzzles me as to how Dampier can manage to also suck on offense when the Suns come to town.

The Suns trying to stop somebody from scoring is like a $4.99 price detering Mark Mangino away from Golden Corral. Damp should be able to feast.

stretch
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
He can't succeed if Avery runs no plays for him. I'm not saying he's our answer, but I guarantee that he can do better than he does if given more opportunity.

big3bigD
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
no breaking news here....Damp is a good center and is a valuable piece for the Mavs, just not entirely worth his contract.

monosylab1k
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
He can't succeed if Avery runs no plays for him. I'm not saying he's our answer, but I guarantee that he can do better than he does if given more opportunity.
Um, we went that route already. That season ended with Dirk calling him out publicly for being a lazy ass and the Mavs losing to a Suns team that they should have beaten.

Findog
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
no breaking news here....Damp is a good center and is a valuable piece for the Mavs, just not entirely worth his contract.

yeah, pretty much in concurrence. Probably only worth half his contract. Would love him for the MLE, I'm awfully frustrated with him at $10 million per.

Findog
11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Um, we went that route already. That season ended with Dirk calling him out publicly for being a lazy ass and the Mavs losing to a Suns team that they should have beaten.

The problem with Damp has always been A) his stone hands and B) his lack of consistency. I think one of the factors in the great regular season last year we had was that his effort was much better on an nightly basis. He'll never have a great touch with the basketball, but I thought he played harder for us.

big3bigD
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
yeah, pretty much in concurrence. Probably only worth half his contract. Would love him for the MLE, I'm awfully frustrated with him at $10 million per.

especially when considering the fact that he averages about 1.5mil more a year than Howard...

big3bigD
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
but I thought he played harder for us.

that's the key. if he at least put forth a consistent effort, he would earn more that contract... i'm not convinced that competing for a ring really motivates Damp much.

Spawn
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Yeah, centers that can stop Amare and Shaq just grow on trees don't they?