PDA

View Full Version : Cheryl Miller Previews Mavs-Spurs

duncan228
11-15-2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.nba.com/features/cmiller_071114.html

Cheryl Miller Previews Mavs-Spurs

November 14, 2007 -- San Antonio and Dallas are close on the map and usually in the standings as well. While Dallas won the Southwest Division last season with 67 wins, San Antonio claimed their fourth NBA crown in The Finals. With the recent start of the new basketball year, both teams are battling for the top spot. On Thursday, in Dallas these two Texas teams will duel for the first time this season on TNT at 8 pm ET. We spoke to TNT reporter Cheryl Miller to preview the matchup.

With Houston playing so well, are Dallas and San Antonio at the top of your list in the West?

Miller: I have to say definitely number one is San Antonio because they are the defending champs and been there, did it and done it and have the most experience. I'd have to give Dallas the second nod because they were obviously in the Finals (2005-06) and should have won the championship against Miami. And Houston is off to a great start but they are still unproven, new coach, new system, so time will tell.

Manu Ginobili for the Spurs and Jason Terry for the Mavericks have both been sparks off the bench. With two very strong starting linups how important is the sixth man role?

Miller: It's been huge obviously for San Antonio and it has worked out great. When you have a guy like Ginobili, that could start for anybody and is an All-Star, willing to sacrifice sometimes minutes and come off the bench in his role and be that productive is tremendous as it has really worked. So I think all Avery Johnson did was take a page out of Pop's (Gregg Popovich) book and its worked for them. I think JT is a lot more relaxed now coming off the bench. He doesn't have to worry about necessarily trying to get guys involved early, sometimes his offense would suffer. But now that he comes in with the green light, like Avery Johnson said when he misses a shot that's a surprise because he has been shooting the ball so well.

The Spurs are a defensive minded team. Dallas has five players averaging in double-digits. What will be the most difficult obstacle for San Antonio in defending Dallas?

Miller: I think it's just going to come down to who is healthy. I don't think Dallas has an answer for Tim Duncan in the middle even though DeSagana Diop is playing well and physically looks the best that he has since he has been in the league. And San Antonio certainly doesn't have an answer for Dirk Nowitzki, even though Bruce (Bowen) is a solid defender, one of the best defenders in the league. I think its going to come down to free throw shooting. I think it is going to come down to who can impose their will as far as the tempo of the game and the bench is going to be a huge factor. Whose bench can produce at the right time?

Is this game more important than other games because these two teams are both legitimate contenders?

Miller: It is kind of hard to say that this game is a game of huge magnitude only because it is a long regular season and so many things can happen. If this game was being played in April, I would say yes. Right now it just means San Antonio wants to make sure they continue to flex their muscle. I am sure Dallas wants to make some inroads. But right now the jury is always going to be out as far as Dallas is concerned. They win 67 games last season and have an early exit to Golden State. So what they do during the regular season is nice but people want to see what Dallas can do during the post season.

Dallas took the series last season 3-1, why is Dallas such a tough matchup for San Antonio?

Miller: Dallas does a lot of things that San Antonio is probably not use to. They have a nice front line. You have Dirk that can play inside and out. Jason Terry now that he is going to come off the bench has been a huge spark. Jerry Stackhouse has been solid off the bench as well. Then you have Josh Howard who has come into his own. So they have got a lot of pieces they can use. They like to push the ball as much as possible and you got two coaches that are basically running the same type of offense. These teams match up extremely well but I think sometime Dallas does it during the regular season but it's the post season that is going to really matter.

SpursIndonesia
11-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Dallas is still a tough match up for the Spurs, but if Tim Duncan can be himself in this game, i like our chance.

urunobili
11-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Tim will dominate tonight for y'all haters! :danceclub

YODA
11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Tim will dominate tonight for y'all haters! :danceclub

you can count on that. Tim..two bad games in a role?? no gonna happen. We can expect a huge game from him tonight, but will we win? I think its gonnabe a hell of a game.

:clap