PDA

View Full Version : Come on..... Barry love!

texbumTHElife
12-24-2004, 01:52 AM
He did it again tonight! He came into the game and all of a sudden this team turned it up to another level! That is 3 of the last 4 games that Barry has come in and we have transformed into a totally different team. Now I am not about to jump all over the Brent Barry bandwagon but if he can give us that kind of an energy injection off the bench then we are going to be damn hard to beat down the stretch.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-24-2004, 02:07 AM
The Spurs are 18-3 when Barry plays over ten minutes. Given that, and the fact Devin is coming back to earth, it's time to start letting Barry earn his pay.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 03:56 AM
the Spurs are great when the players buy into Pop defense first game plan...the line up has nothing to do with it. If the line up buys into defense first and focus on that...the Spurs usually win

T Park
12-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Barry's defense is improving.

If he can keep that up, most certainly his minutes will increase.

Hes gotta keep playing smart too, dumb play like against Orlando wont help.

IMO, he should be first off the bench against Boston.

He earned after tonight. Deven looks like he needs to settle down and work on his jumper again.

Kori Ellis
12-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Devin only shot twice, so I'm not going to say that he's losing his shot. But it seems like he's a lot more hesitant now than he was a few weeks ago. All in all it's great to have the depth that the Spurs have at the swingspots.

T Park
12-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Agreed, Devin is back to where he was at the beginning of the season.

One of his jumpers wasn't even CLOSE!!

I hope Barry can get some more PT now, it would be nice if he could earn that 7 mill and get that 6th man of the year award a shot.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 04:08 AM
anybody that thinks that because Barry hit one open jumper turned around the Spurs playing defense the way they should be, doesnt know shit about basketball. the reason the Spurs won is because players decided to buy into the defense wins games, not because Barry hit an open 3ptr (which is his job).

T Park
12-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Well, to be fair GOSPURS

that three by Barry putting them from 2 down to 1 up and I dont think trailing again, was HUGE IMO.

It got the Spurs on a hell of a roll. I think the next time down Rasho had a dunk, then Parker a layup, and the Spurs never looked back.

texbound
12-24-2004, 09:36 AM
IT wasn't just the 3 by Barry, it was his all around play. He had three great passes that help keep the Spurs moving on offense (however, the Spurs only converted one of those for points). So, he helped keep the Spurs moving and cutting so they didn't slack off and become stagnant. I'm not saying he was the spark that propelled the Spurs, but last night he was a well lubricated part that helped keep them running.

Hook Dem
12-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Barry is a spark and to keep him on the bench would be a travesty.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Devin is back to playing tentative ball like the first of the season. Too bad....but Barry is playing well. He only got really abused once last night on D when Hassel treated him like a rag doll in the post. It's much better when he's matched up against someone like Hoiberg.

Uncle Donnie
12-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Devin is back to playing tentative ball like the first of the season. Too bad....but Barry is playing well. He only got really abused once last night on D when Hassel treated him like a rag doll in the post. It's much better when he's matched up against someone like Hoiberg.

Yeah I remember that play. In fairness to Barry, someone should have come over to help. They were practically under the basket.

Good game by Barry but now I'm worried about Devin. I wonder if Pop's outburst had anything to do with his lack of confidence lately.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2004, 10:36 AM
In fairness to Barry, someone should have come over to help.Absolutely. Everyone just stood around -- it wasn't funny.

Devin is still young and developing. I'm inclined to think he's overthinking out there and it's making him hesitate. He was doing the same thing at the beginning of the season and played out of it, so I'm sure he can let the game come to him and regain his effectiveness.

texbumTHElife
12-24-2004, 02:00 PM
anybody that thinks that because Barry hit one open jumper turned around the Spurs playing defense the way they should be, doesnt know shit about basketball. the reason the Spurs won is because players decided to buy into the defense wins games, not because Barry hit an open 3ptr (which is his job).

Anyone who reads my post and comes away talking about the shot Barry took, needs Hooked on Phonics for Christmas :rolleyes . All I mentioned was the energy he brought in off the bench and its blatantly obvious by the other posts here that I wasnt the only one who noticed it. The energy he brought was on the offensive and defensive end of the floor. Barry has reminded me a lot of how Ginobilli was last year coming off the bench (3/4 games that is). He comes in and the Spurs just seem to ratchet their energy up to another level. Making the three pointer was just a bi-product of the high energy level of the whole team.

GoSpurs21
12-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Anyone who reads my post and comes away talking about the shot Barry took, needs Hooked on Phonics for Christmas :rolleyes . All I mentioned was the energy he brought in off the bench and its blatantly obvious by the other posts here that I wasnt the only one who noticed it. The energy he brought was on the offensive and defensive end of the floor. Barry has reminded me a lot of how Ginobilli was last year coming off the bench (3/4 games that is). He comes in and the Spurs just seem to ratchet their energy up to another level. Making the three pointer was just a bi-product of the high energy level of the whole team.Here is your original quote

He did it again tonight! He came into the game and all of a sudden this team turned it up to another level! That is 3 of the last 4 games that Barry has come in and we have transformed into a totally different team.I guess I dont buy what you said originally. Barry had nothing to do with the defense the Spurs played in the 1st 2 minutes of the 3rd quarter when the Spurs made up an 8 point deficit. This more than anything is the reason why the Spurs won. The starters decided to buy into the type of team defense it takes to win. This set the expectations for all other lines ups that would follow during the rest of the game. To me this is the real reason the Spurs won. Yea Barry provided a spark, but the fire had already been lit by that time. But you can jock on Barry all you want.

ducks
12-24-2004, 05:09 PM
devin brown has not been the same since the houston game when pop got on him for throwing the ball to DUNCAN

Ssperester
12-25-2004, 02:22 AM
I was at the game last night, man, I was rooting for Barry to come on the court before he took that 3. Got even more excitied when Manu and Barry were on the floor. Man, talk about two peas in a pod!

cqsallie
12-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Seems we all love Barry. Now, what happened to cause Pop not to play him? To me, the most exciting five on the floor are Barry, Udrih, Ginobli, Brown and either Duncan or Rose (surprisingly, Rose & Duncan are interchangeable here). This combination brings immense excitement to the game, while baffling the opponent.
Any comments on this combo?