PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Old Men

leemajors
11-16-2007, 10:35 AM
got my ticket for the midnight show tonight at the arbor in austin, limited release hits austin today. i haven't been this psyched about a movie in a long time!

word
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Opens in SA today as well but the only theater showing it is a bit far from me. I'm gonna wait it out for a few days. It's suppose to be killer, no pun intended.

monosylab1k
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm going tonight, I can't wait. Hopefully this makes up for the disappointment of American Gangster (not that the two are related in any way, I just was really hyped to see AG and it didn't come close to living up to the hype. Hopefully this flick does)

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I really want to see this movie. Looks good.

Spurminator
11-16-2007, 12:43 PM
A friend of mine saw a sneak preview and said it's the best movie of the year.

CuckingFunt
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Everything I've read says it's the Coens' best film since Fargo. I don't think I'll get a chance to see it before the wide release, but I'm really looking forward to this one.

11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see it in the theater, but I doubt I'll get the chance.

I'm looking forward to The Road as well.

word
11-17-2007, 01:20 AM
I hear the pit bull scene will give you nightmares.

PM5K
11-17-2007, 03:49 AM
I was going to say, isn't this from the Fargo guys, but I just read here that it is, should be damn good.

leemajors
11-17-2007, 11:28 AM
i liked it. tommy lee jones was great.

Ronaldo McDonald
11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
i think i'll be seeing this today...

monosylab1k
11-18-2007, 01:20 AM
this is a damn good movie. everybody should check it out.

once people see it, I expect a whole lot of bitching about the ending. Those people can go fuck themselves, the ending is just fine.

spurscenter
11-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm going tonight, I can't wait. Hopefully this makes up for the disappointment of American Gangster (not that the two are related in any way, I just was really hyped to see AG and it didn't come close to living up to the hype. Hopefully this flick does)

Dont forget to return all the GAY ass movies you rented as well

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Dont forget to return

your FAGGOT movies you rented as well.
ROFL bitter asshole.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-18-2007, 04:21 PM

I sense a pinking is near.

monosylab1k
11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
wow, this one was completely unprovoked. who's obsessed?

monosylab1k
11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
seriously everybody, see this movie.

atxrocker
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
i will watch it. i just hate reading rave reviews before viewing the movie because most times my expectations are wayyy too high.

leemajors
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
i will watch it. i just hate reading rave reviews before viewing the movie because most times my expectations are wayyy too high.
i liked the book a lot, and this was a pretty faithful adaptation. great return to form from the cohens after the last 2 disappointments.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Javier Bardem is just awesome! Perhaps the best portrayal of his career. Best actor to come from Spain... EVER.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 12:24 AM
The ending sucks to those with above .002 brain cells.

Otherwise it's a very good involving movie. Like Fargo in a rural Texas setting.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 12:35 AM

Otherwise it's a very good involving movie. Like Fargo in a rural Texas setting.
the ending was very fitting. what you wanted would have turned it into a parody.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 12:51 AM
the ending was very fitting. what you wanted would have turned it into a parody.
Except you don't know what i wanted. And the ending i *wanted* would have not turned it into a parody at all. You were schooled in Texas?

leemajors
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Except you don't know what i wanted. And the ending i *wanted* would have not turned it into a parody at all. You were schooled in Texas?
have you read the book?

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 01:39 AM
^ No. Nor do i think movies have to follow books. But if you are happy with the ending, more power to you. Seriously all people see movies differently. I know a lot will not like this ending. I was more responding to the Tom Brady sniffer.

Spoilers:
Didn't it slay you and yours that Llewelyn Moss had a clear shot at Anton Chiguar the *&^tard twice and let him get away? #1 right after he found the transponder and had asstard right in front of the door. #2 as asstard walks towoard the wrecked truck thinking Lewel is in there dead with the money. Llewelen waited wayy too long to get up from behind the pickup and fire at Sugar. Oh well, i realize they were trying to portray the overall amatuerishness of Llewelyn vs the know it all pro Chiguar. But dont give me the realistic bit (not you LeeM i mean anyone in general saying "that's the way it really is") because Sugars getting away and coming and going to crime scenes like a ghost was Hollywooded up all the way.

Also why did Carson Wells (Woody Harrleson) let Sugar into his room? He knew Sugar would kill him, why not stay in the hotel lobby and stair where perhaps Sugar did not want to make a scene? Carson apparantly not the pro he fancied himself as. I do like the way Llewelyn told both Carson and Sugar to go %$#@ themselves. I think 99% of the audience would have liked to see Llewelyn dust Sugar. But that is not the only reason i think the ending sucked.

Also, near the start. When Lewel finds the Mexican shot dead under the shade tree. Why did whomever shot him not take the suitcase full of 2 million?

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I understand your need for a Hollywood ending where Tommy Lee Jones says "not on my watch", comes out of retirement, grabs a gun, and goes a huntin' for Bardem. Of course he tracks him down, a massive gunfight ensues, Bardem is dead with about 800 bullet holes in him and Jones is all shot up but of course he's going to make it.

It's really a shame the movie didn't end like that for you.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Spoilers
I'm glad the time you spent as a hitman-for-hire has given you that insight.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Except you don't know what i wanted. And the ending i *wanted* would have not turned it into a parody at all.
And what's the ending you wanted? Since you're a better storyteller than Cormac McCarthy and the Coen Brothers and all.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
chigurgh was getting in that room whether carson liked it or not. i am glad they didn't go for the hollywood ending, personally.

SPOILERS:
i do wish they had showed the shootout with the mexicans and chigurgh that resulted in moss' death, but i also understand why they didn't show it. i wouldn't call moss an amateur either, he just didn't know what he was dealing with.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
chigurgh was getting in that room whether carson liked it or not. i am glad they didn't go for the hollywood ending, personally.

SPOILERS:
i do wish they had showed the shootout with the mexicans and chigurgh that resulted in moss' death, but i also understand why they didn't show it. i wouldn't call moss an amateur either, he just didn't know what he was dealing with.
Lee,

1. Going back to the crime scene period. He even said to Carla Jean "I must be crazy for doing this but...."
2. Failing to even look for the transponder for 2 days.
3. After finding transponder, failing to shoot SugarTard in front of the door.
4. Failing to rise up above pickup and shoot STard when he saw him in the reflection of the store window. Especially when STard stopped and paused in front of the pickup he was a wide open target.
All amatuer moves.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Lee,

1. Going back to the crime scene period. He even said to Carla Jean "I must be crazy for doing this but...."
2. Failing to even look for the transponder for 2 days.
3. After finding transponder, failing to shoot SugarTard in front of the door.
4. Failing to rise up above pickup and shoot STard when he saw him in the reflection of the store window. Especially when STard stopped and paused in front of the pickup he was a wide open target.
All amatuer moves.
well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I think it's clear that Fabbs is telling us that he's been shot at before and would know exactly what to do in such a situation. I mean, someone wielding a shotgun isn't going to make you the least bit afraid, is it? Of course not! Just pop out from behind the truck and take him down! No need to be concerned about your own safety at all! /sarcasm

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Fabbs is probably also pissed that you never know if he kills Moss' wife or not. I mean, all he does is check his shoes and leave...wtf is that? lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
This looks fun lol.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Lee,

well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail. <end Lee

So which is it? Newb or not? Because at the wrecked car scene he clearly had the advantage point over Chigar who was studying the truck. Cry Havoc thinks Chigar would have heard Llewelen rise up with his gun and turn and fire on Llewelen faster then Llewelyn could pull the trigger. Now that is calling Llwewelyn a total noob and giving Chigar superhero status. Nope, if he had rose above the pickup earlier, Chigar would have died IMO.

Yet you Cry Havoc claim he should have just sat there or he would have been killed. Yet Llewelen did indeed rise above the truck and that is how he injured Chigar. How else would he have gotten a shot off b-u-t to rise above the truck. Chigar by then was following the blood trail. You want him to sit there and get shot by Chigar? Lame.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Lee,

well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail. <end Lee

So which is it? Newb or not? Because at the wrecked car scene he clearly had the advantage point over Chigar who was studying the truck. Cry Havoc thinks Chigar would have heard Llewelen rise up with his gun and turn and fire on Llewelen faster then Llewelyn could pull the trigger. Now that is calling Llwewelyn a total noob and giving Chigar superhero status. Nope, if he had rose above the pickup earlier, Chigar would have died IMO.

Yet you Cry Havoc claim he should have just sat there or he would have been killed. Yet Llewelen did indeed rise above the truck and that is how he injured Chigar. How else would he have gotten a shot off b-u-t to rise above the truck. Chigar by then was following the blood trail. You want him to sit there and get shot by Chigar? Lame.
didn't he injure him shooting below the car - if he had injured him shooting from above with buckshot he would have had more than that wound around his knee? newb in comparison, but dude obviously had some skill, he was a vietnam vet and had killed before. having the ultimate professional hitman coming after you will make you look bad in comparison. i think moss did well to err on the side of caution there.

JMarkJohns
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
What the hell am I not reading?!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Off topic, but I think spurscenter committed suicide.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 01:31 PM
What the hell am I not reading?!
it's hard not to reveal plot points in this thread, attempting to be considerate. :lol

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
didn't he injure him shooting below the car - if he had injured him shooting from above with buckshot he would have had more than that wound around his knee? newb in comparison, but dude obviously had some skill, he was a vietnam vet and had killed before. having the ultimate professional hitman coming after you will make you look bad in comparison. i think moss did well to err on the side of caution there.
The ghost writing continues :lol Hey I'm glad we are not spoiling it for others.
Putting aside the wrecked truck shooting above car/below car scene, you still need to answer why Llewelyn.
1. Went back to original crime scene.
2. Failed to shoot Chigar thru the motel door when he had the chance.

Noob actions, even if Llewelyn was otherwise acting very street smart!

Summers
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Tommy Lee Jones is cool. I'll see the movie just for him, but I read a review that said all the peripheral characters are flat caricatures of Texas rednecks. (the reviewer said "that doesn't bother me because I'm Texan, but because the Coens are capable of better :lol)

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
while we're at it, we can criticize Moss for newb moves like going back to give the Mexican water and not looking for the transponder right away....then the movie would have been 15 minutes long and it would have been freakin awesome!

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
and it's pretty obvious that Moss went back to the original crime scene because he had some semblance of a conscience about taking all that money and leaving a man to die like that.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
while we're at it, we can criticize Moss for newb moves like going back to give the Mexican water and not looking for the transponder right away....then the movie would have been 15 minutes long and it would have been freakin awesome!
No, we could have a scene where Chigar comes into Texas, finds you in a motel room waiting for the Dallas-New England game. You are bent over bowing down to a Tom Brady poster and statue. It's somewhat shocking even to Chigar so it might take a while. He finds letters you have written to Tom and BelliCheat.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
No, we could have a scene where Chigar comes into Texas, finds you in a motel room waiting for the Dallas-New England game. You are bent over bowing down to a Tom Brady poster and statue. It's somewhat shocking even to Chigar so it might take a while. He finds letters you have written to Tom and BelliCheat.
lmao you have no defense so you resort to brady insults. you've proven what a fucking idiot you are in this thread anyways. go enjoy Transformers again.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Tommy Lee Jones is cool. I'll see the movie just for him, but I read a review that said all the peripheral characters are flat caricatures of Texas rednecks. (the reviewer said "that doesn't bother me because I'm Texan, but because the Coens are capable of better :lol)
well, it's set in southwest texas (more west than south) in the early 80s - rednecks are par for the course. i thought it was much more in the style of blood simple than fargo, which is a good thing.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 03:07 PM
lmao you have no defense so you resort to brady insults. you've proven what a fucking idiot you are in this thread anyways. go enjoy Transformers again.
Your no offense requires no defense.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
:lmao what?

seriously, i think i have an old copy of Mission: Impossible 2. you can watch that and discuss how badass the ending is.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2007, 03:15 PM
No Country for Old Men is a movie that will most likely flop in theatres. It is not the kind of flick you will hear people raving about (unless you have a lot of movie-addicts as friends) and flocking to the production in large numbers. It is not the kind of movie that most people will want to see over and over again. But this is also perhaps the precise reason why it is such a thrilling, fantastic film that will garner ridiculous adoration from a subset of viewers who don’t like their action movies spoon fed to them by Hollywood with Will Smith delivering witty one-liners throughout. No Country for Old Men stands on its own as one of the finest action movies ever produced, though to call it simply an “action” movie drastically understates the ambitious reach of author Cormac McCarthy and producers Joel and Ethan Coen.

Set in the Southwestern United States, No Country is a story about Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), a hunter who finds $2 million in cash in a drug deal in the middle of the desert, with no one around to guard it except several decaying bodies. Being a poor man clutching to existence in a remote part of the country, he decides to keep the money and hope for the best. When Anton Chigurh, played unsettlingly by Javier Bardem, comes looking for the money, the entire plot becomes “a mess,” as Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) succinctly puts it. This movie is the opposite of a B-rate slaughterhouse of gore and torture. It chooses to seethe, to ooze tension and leave our imaginations to do the worst. Rather than club you over the head with grisly pictures, the machinations of the Coen brothers are carefully sculpted to extract the maximum amount of impact from each confrontation while keeping the gore to an essential minimum.

Part of what makes No Country so brilliant is how focused each scene appears to us, how they delight in the subtle nuances of character, portraying them as common individuals who are mostly clueless to deal with the changing forces around them. The austere humor of each individual echoes this, as they deliver their own guileless assessments of life and love, delivered in a Southwestern slang that many will mistake for a lack of wisdom. Yet each role here is superbly designed to beg for reflection, to ponder the choices they make, and to examine their own flaws and virtues. In short, every character means something to the plot, and the ramifications of what happens to them are always noticed and felt by the viewer. When one dies, it releases a torrent of emotion that leaves us feeling bereft of something substantial.

And that is perhaps the most significant departure from the typical movie of No Country for Old Men. The action scenes here are visceral, they are gripping, and they are well-designed, the same as many other films appearing this year in theatres. What is different here is intuition of the directors, who realize that silence in a gunfight can provide much more tension than a constant rain of bullets. The most unbearable moments in No Country are the seconds before the trigger is pulled, where life and death are temporarily suspended. After each confrontation, an audible gasp is almost necessary. This film is equally as unnerving because the next battle is always around the corner – if not with guns, then with words, and if not with words, with the idea of how to deal with death, life, and our past.

It is in these somber ruminations that No Country is saved from being a nihilistic retelling of fate. Without the distantly observant comments made by Tommy Lee Jones’ character (Bell), the earnest method by which Moss (Brolin) moves through the scenes with an uneasy balance between fear and arrogance, or the chilling ideology of Chigurh (Bardem), this movie would have been another two hours of mindless bloodletting, as desolate as the landscape. Instead, No Country is full of choices, consequences, and the motives that drive us, a film that stands tall in a sea of much poorer clones. Even the ending, which may leave some scratching their head, and others angered, is as devastatingly stark and unapologetic as the rest of the production, offering no “feel better” pill, only the vague ideas of a desperate situation, and a person who has simply had enough. It is potentially the most unnerving quality in the entire film: The ending is simply too realistic for its own good, departing from underneath our conscience with only a few words to see us home. What is not spoken aloud is what makes No Country for Old Men a classic.

If anyone thinks this has spoilers, please let me know. I tried to keep it modestly vague.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 03:15 PM
:lmao what?

seriously, i think i have an old copy of Mission: Impossible 2. you can watch that and discuss how badass the ending is.
You mother not only lets you use her p.c. but loans you movies? Wow, you are maturing.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Whereas your movies require a neat little box with a bow-tie attached. And that's fine. That's what you enjoy. But don't pretend that you enjoy such endings for their subtlety. You like the cut and dried simple endings that leave you with a smile on your face, and this movie isn't that. More power to you.

--quote-- Yet you Cry Havoc claim he should have just sat there or he would have been killed. Yet Llewelen did indeed rise above the truck and that is how he injured Chigar. How else would he have gotten a shot off b-u-t to rise above the truck. Chigar by then was following the blood trail. You want him to sit there and get shot by Chigar? Lame. --quote--

And for the record, it is supposed to represent a real confrontation. I realize that you might play counterstrike, but that does not translate into the fear you feel when you're actually being shot at, or when you're standing 20 feet away from a man with a loaded shotgun who wants to kill you. I've been around guns my entire life, shot more weapons than most people have even looked at, and I'm damned sure that if I ever heard a .45 slug (or any caliber bullet, to be honest) go whizzing past me, I would be happy if I could maintain bladder control, let alone think clearly enough to respond in the most strategically feasible manner. That goes DOUBLE for shotguns, especially after I've already been hit in the left shoulder by the same person. Shotguns don't miss too often. But yeah, I'm sure you would have been fine. It's hard being an internet tough guy.

Cry Havoc
11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
condensing post.

JMarkJohns
11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm not going to read the darkened text because I'm very excited to see this film, but I'm beginning to think you all are posting in invisible text just to post in invisible text.

leemajors
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
quote from Joel Cohen RE the end:

JC: That’s very much a reflection of the way the book works. It had to be modified from the book in service of the drama, but those particular things didn’t bother us. That was part of the reason we thought the novel was interesting and interesting to adapt into a movie. It’s a crime story, but it doesn’t resolve itself like a conventional crime story. We're aware that when we're making a movie, we are not making a movie for everybody. But we’re convinced we’re making it for enough people who can see it as an interesting thing that we don’t worry about it.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Pretty good take elsewhere on potentially why Chigurh did not kill Ed Bell at the hotel:

About Chigurh and Bell at the Motel, and why there was no bloody confrontation:

My understanding is that there were TWO doors taped off, with Chigurh standing behind one of them. Bell, with either a great stroke of luck, or perhaps a keen sense of impending danger, chose the right door. Again, chance plays with fate, only this time there was a positive outcome.

Another poster thought Chigar might have crawled thru the duct to escape with the money thru the other room. I dunno about that.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 11:42 PM
so much for keeping this thread spoiler-free.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey Fabbs you dick! edit your post bitch. Some people here have not seen it yet

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Crymonosylab,
And for the record, it is supposed to represent a real confrontation. I realize that you might play counterstrike, but that does not translate into the fear you feel when you're actually being shot at, or when you're standing 20 feet away from a man with a loaded shotgun who wants to kill you. I've been around guns my entire life, shot more weapons than most people have even looked at, and I'm damned sure that if I ever heard a .45 slug (or any caliber bullet, to be honest) go whizzing past me, I would be happy if I could maintain bladder control, let alone think clearly enough to respond in the most strategically feasible manner. That goes DOUBLE for shotguns, especially after I've already been hit in the left shoulder by the same person. Shotguns don't miss too often. But yeah, I'm sure you would have been fine. It's hard being an internet tough guy.
So Mr. Been around guns,
Where you going to address these, or are we also to buy that Llewelyn was too preoccupied with bladder control issues to pull the trigger?
Putting aside the wrecked truck shooting above car/below car scene, Llewelyn noobness shows in:
Especially #2.

Fabbs
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey Fabbs, you genius! edit your post bitch. Some people here have not seen it yet I don't think anyone who has not seen the movie would keep reading scrolling down our ghost posts. And i knew it would give Brady Sniffer another reason to have the enjoyment he derives from getting his pampers changed. But alas, in the chance it might spoil anyone I did edit.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Crymonosylab
:lmao Just cuz you're a moron who doesn't know shit about movies or how to prevent from leaking spoilers in a thread doesn't mean you need to take it out on me.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't think anyone who has not seen the movie would keep reading scrolling down our ghost posts. And i knew it would give Brady Sniffer another reason to have the enjoyment he derives from getting his pampers changed. But alas, in the chance it might spoil anyone I did edit.
Oh hey I think Bad Boys 2 is available online at blockbuster.com you can go have a blast with that one.

monosylab1k
11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
also, Cry Havoc and I are two different people, I'm sorry that our screen names are so similar that you can't tell the difference. But maybe next time you don't have to address me in a post directed at him.

Fabbs
11-20-2007, 12:20 AM
also, Cry Havoc and I are two different people, I'm sorry that our screen names are so similar that you can't tell the difference. But maybe next time you don't have to address me in a post directed at him.
Naw, i think your vast gun knowledge comes from watching fights break out at NASCAR. And your posts seemed to be either the same person or some spoonin. Beavis n Bu...nevermind.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Crymonosylab,
So Mr. Been around guns,
Where you going to address these, or are we also to buy that Llewelyn was too preoccupied with bladder control issues to pull the trigger?
Putting aside the wrecked truck shooting above car/below car scene, Llewelyn noobness shows in:
Especially #2.

Uhm. Wow. You've proved that the Llewelyn isn't an experienced criminal, nor does he have a great skill for stalking and slaying another person. Bravo. You've just re-iterated one of the points of the movie: That the killer here holds a much greater advantage due to his experience with death and malice. The fact that Llewelyn is a protagonist doesn't save him from mistakes, nor does it make him Captain America, able to dodge bullets and fly in the face of danger. Maybe it's due to the fact that he hasn't murdered someone in such a way before. Again, I'm sure you would be able to pull the trigger and end another human being's life with no problem, but I think the directors were attempting to portray the scene a little more realistically. It's not easy to kill someone, no matter what the circumstances.

So basically all you've done is to state that Llewelyn is a noob and isn't the smartest guy in the world. BRILLIANT. I'm sure Josh Brolin would agree with you! Stunningly astute observation, really. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to being Monohavoc. It's tough posting as two people who sound nothing alike and consumes most of my free time. :lol

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Naw, i think your vast gun knowledge comes from watching fights break out at NASCAR. And your posts seemed to be either the same person or some spoonin. Beavis n Bu...nevermind.

Since mono and I are apparently the same, I guess I can answer this. It's not so much that we're in agreement with each other, it's just that we have a strong disagreement with the disease known as stupid. And that's where you come in!

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
never mind is right. the quicker you stop posting the sooner you'll stop making an idot of yourself.

People, please go see this movie. It's incredible. And if you have the same movie taste as Fabbs, you can always bitch about the ending and then go find Navy SEALS at Blockbuster.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
never mind is right. the quicker you stop posting the sooner you'll stop making an idot of yourself.

People, please go see this movie. It's incredible. And if you have the same movie taste as Fabbs, you can always bitch about the ending and then go find Navy SEALS at Blockbuster.

Did you catch the irony they used near the end, after the car accident, when the killer has to get a shirt from the kid? I have a theory about that. I think the Anton was watching Llewelyn the entire time, even on the bridge with the college students. When he gets in that car wreck, he HAS to give the kid some money, otherwise he would be taking for free what Llewelyn paid for. I think it was a reflection of his moral compass and it tell us that Anton was playing with him all along.

Why else give money to the kid? You would think he would kill him for seeing him in such a crippled state, but instead he gives money to him. It seems so out of character for him that I think it's more significant than just simple irony.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Did you catch the irony they used near the end, after the car accident, when the killer has to get a shirt from the kid? I have a theory about that. I think the Anton was watching Llewelyn the entire time, even on the bridge with the college students. When he gets in that car wreck, he HAS to give the kid some money, otherwise he would be taking for free what Llewelyn paid for. I think it was a reflection of his moral compass and it tell us that Anton was playing with him all along.

Why else give money to the kid? You would think he would kill him for seeing him in such a crippled state, but instead he gives money to him. It seems so out of character for him that I think it's more significant than just simple irony.
I didn't think of it at the time, but it makes alot of sense. As I left the theater, one thing I wished I saw more of was explanation as to exactly what makes Anton tick, what drives him. The coin scenes were fun but I wanted to get a little deeper into it. I'm thinking now that it's all there, I just need to dissect it a little more the next time I see it. I also haven't read the book yet, maybe that will offer some more insight as well.

Fabbs
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Crymonosylab,
So Mr. Been around guns,
Especially #2.

Uhm. Wow. You've proved that the Llewelyn isn't an experienced criminal, nor does he have a great skill for stalking and slaying another person. Bravo. You've just re-iterated one of the points of the movie: That the killer here holds a much greater advantage due to his experience with death and malice. The fact that Llewelyn is a protagonist doesn't save him from mistakes, nor does it make him Captain America, able to dodge bullets and fly in the face of danger. Maybe it's due to the fact that he hasn't murdered someone in such a way before. Again, I'm sure you would be able to pull the trigger and end another human being's life with no problem, but I think the directors were attempting to portray the scene a little more realistically. It's not easy to kill someone, no matter what the circumstances.

So basically all you've done is to state that Llewelyn is a noob and isn't the smartest guy in the world. BRILLIANT. I'm sure Josh Brolin would agree with you! Stunningly astute observation, really. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to being Monohavoc. It's tough posting as two people who sound nothing alike and consumes most of my free time. :lol

So now you are flip flopping from a logistics strategey excuse to Llewelyn, full well knowing he is being hunted, couldn't pull the trigger at the hotel because it's not "easy" to kill *someone*. Well isn't that sensitive.

What a cop out. :lol

By that time Llewelyn had more then ample knowledge that Chigar was not your average "someone" and was Chigar was trying to murder him at any cost. Llewelyn had NO problem wanting to kill Chigar 1st if he could. At the hotel door, he simply waited a moment too long.

Spare us from your theory on why Llews going back to the crime scene was not a noob error. Oh you already have. Thank you. Well, at least all that patting on the back was you on yourself, not mono n you?

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't even have a clue what Fabbs' point is anymore.

Fabbs
11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't even have a clue what Fabbs' point is anymore. Good, that way your hero(s) stay intact. :lol

Good review here:

One minute he's talking about going after Chigurh and the next we're cutting to a scene of him laying dead on the floor af a cheap motel. WTF did I miss? Who killed him? Why would the writer set up this big showdown and then not let you even know how he was killed or who killed him. It was a great movie up until that point and then it went way downhill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are absolutely right about this and the novel is flawed too. The movie indulges in all these scenes of guys choking on blood and when it comes to what is supposed to be a central character, Moss a whole scene that should have been is chopped out.

If that's the best way to make a movie you could cut out half of the scenes. Why not cut out him jumping into the river and killing the dog? You could have just shown him running from the mexicans and then cut to him climbing out of the river with a dead dog on the shore. We would have learned that he swam away and shot the dog, but part of the fun and satisfaction of a movie is seeing what happens.

But the unsympathetic average joe, Moss is only superficially a central character. The whole movie is an excuse to show how cool Chigurh is, his persistence and determination and the neat ways he blows away people.

So don't try to crtiticize this movie. To critisize this movie is to criticize Chigurh and Chigurh is the people's hero.

Sorry guys there are other plot/book flaws as others point out. These and the ending which is supposed to be excused because it's "enigmatic" is just bad film making as per plot by the admitedly talented Coen Brothers. Fargo is a much better film but I'm sorry the killer is not as "neato" as in No Country.
So some viewers who also idolize Frank Booth may not agree.

This stuff that is left out of the movie is an emperor has no clothes tactic to make you confused and think the movie is more profound than it is and it's easier than trying to do these scenes well (not necessarily long and drawn out but simply connecting the story as a narrative, basic good storytelling) It is a typical crime drama pursuit plot (lacking even in twists of that genre) with some stuff cut out and confused/cute philosophical ramblings sprinkled on top (to make you think it's arty) as we get off kicking in doors and shooting people.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Good, that way your hero(s) stay intact. :lol

Good review here:

One minute he's talking about going after Chigurh and the next we're cutting to a scene of him laying dead on the floor af a cheap motel. WTF did I miss? Who killed him? Why would the writer set up this big showdown and then not let you even know how he was killed or who killed him. It was a great movie up until that point and then it went way downhill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are absolutely right about this and the novel is flawed too. The movie indulges in all these scenes of guys choking on blood and when it comes to what is supposed to be a central character, Moss a whole scene that should have been is chopped out.

If that's the best way to make a movie you could cut out half of the scenes. Why not cut out him jumping into the river and killing the dog? You could have just shown him running from the mexicans and then cut to him climbing out of the river with a dead dog on the shore. We would have learned that he swam away and shot the dog, but part of the fun and satisfaction of a movie is seeing what happens.

But the unsympathetic average joe, Moss is only superficially a central character. The whole movie is an excuse to show how cool Chigurh is, his persistence and determination and the neat ways he blows away people.

So don't try to crtiticize this movie. To critisize this movie is to criticize Chigurh and Chigurh is the people's hero.

Sorry guys there are other plot/book flaws as others point out. These and the ending which is supposed to be excused because it's "enigmatic" is just bad film making as per plot by the admitedly talented Coen Brothers. Fargo is a much better film but I'm sorry the killer is not as "neato" as in No Country.
So some viewers who also idolize Frank Booth may not agree.

This stuff that is left out of the movie is an emperor has no clothes tactic to make you confused and think the movie is more profound than it is and it's easier than trying to do these scenes well (not necessarily long and drawn out but simply connecting the story as a narrative, basic good storytelling) It is a typical crime drama pursuit plot (lacking even in twists of that genre) with some stuff cut out and confused/cute philosophical ramblings sprinkled on top (to make you think it's arty) as we get off kicking in doors and shooting people.

Well I guess not every movie can achieve the cinematic genius of Swordfish. I'm sorry you didn't like this one.

leemajors
11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
We're aware that when we're making a movie, we are not making a movie for everybody. But we’re convinced we’re making it for enough people who can see it as an interesting thing that we don’t worry about it.

the movie isn't done to show people how cool chigurgh is, it's more about what he represents and bell's observations about how his world has changed. i don't think his speeches were just tossed in, they were consistent throughout the movie. moss is a central character, he just makes an earlier exit than most protagonists. Fabbs has been goaded from criticizing the ending to basically finding reviews that bash the whole thing. i thought blood simple was better than fargo too, but it didn't have much to do with how "neato" m. emmet walsh was in it. there is a lot more stuff chigurgh could have done in the movie if it were just about how "neato" he was. that review you found is just trite.

Fabbs
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
the movie isn't done to show people how cool chigurgh is, it's more about what he represents and bell's observations about how his world has changed. i don't think his speeches were just tossed in, they were consistent throughout the movie. moss is a central character, he just makes an earlier exit than most protagonists. Fabbs has been goaded from criticizing the ending to basically finding reviews that bash the whole thing. i thought blood simple was better than fargo too, but it didn't have much to do with how "neato" m. emmet walsh was in it.Nice twisty try Lee, but actually i thought it oozed potential and I do not agree with every aspect of the review. Awesome camera work, good plot till halftime. However the parts of the review i find spot on are "But the unsympathetic average joe, Moss is only superficially a central character. The whole movie is an excuse to show how cool Chigurh is, his persistence and determination and the neat ways he blows away people.

So don't try to crtiticize this movie. To critisize this movie is to criticize Chigurh and Chigurh is the people's hero." Que Beavis n Butthead.

Far from being goaded, i enjoyed fishing Mono. Monos complete total summary as to why the movie is good is "because it's good man, and anyone who says it isn't sucks". I knew he and Cry couldn't be one in the same because Cry can string together more then one sentence. And provide some reasons as to why he thinks so, even if he flip flops and disappears in prove it time. As you do with Llewelyns numerous chances.

Chigurh. The peoples hero. :toast

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
So now you are flip flopping from a logistics strategey excuse to Llewelyn, full well knowing he is being hunted, couldn't pull the trigger at the hotel because it's not "easy" to kill *someone*. Well isn't that sensitive.

What a cop out. :lol

By that time Llewelyn had more then ample knowledge that Chigar was not your average "someone" and was Chigar was trying to murder him at any cost. Llewelyn had NO problem wanting to kill Chigar 1st if he could. At the hotel door, he simply waited a moment too long.

Spare us from your theory on why Llews going back to the crime scene was not a noob error. Oh you already have. Thank you. Well, at least all that patting on the back was you on yourself, not mono n you?

What are you talking about? Ducking down behind a truck while being shot at and pulling the trigger on someone 5 feet away are completely different things. One involves a snap decision to act, the other is a methodical realization that you hold another person's life in your hands.

Once again, have you ever killed someone? Ever pulled the trigger and watched the consequences afterwards? No? Then stop talking like a badass. I know, I know, years of trolling the internets has made you a hardened thug, and you just know you could gun down 47 men in 5 minutes and then sit down and have a nice steak dinner with no lasting side effects.

And for the record, no, I've never killed anyone. However, my father has, and I'm sorry, but he knows a hell of a lot more about what it feels like than you do, judging by your comments. And even though he was justified to shoot to kill, it still made him sick to his stomach, every single time. It doesn't matter if the other person is trying to kill you. You're taking a life. It is something that will never leave you. The fact that Llewelyn doesn't shoot at the first chance is something I consider a welcome change from the typical Hollywood movie where the characters are invincible and know it.

Besides, what the HELL are you talking about when you say you could kill someone with no hesitancy? You want to seriously brag about that? You've got problems if you're calling someone a noob for hesitating to kill another person.

Lay off the Halo, buddy. It doesn't make you nearly as tough as you think.

For the record, No Country is now ranked as the 70th highest movie on imdb, and if it's score holds, will reach into the top 10, all-time. The critics have responded as well, with an almost unanimous shower of praise. So yeah, I guess it's just me, Lee, and mono (me again) who thinks it's a decent piece of film-making. :lol

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
so basically, Fabbs went from "I liked everything but the ending" to "I'm criticizing everything about this movie and will prove that it sucks because mono made me butthurt".

If that doesn't completely kill his credibility when discussing this movie, I don't know what does. Oh yeah, all his other BS posts in this thread.

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Here's a good review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/14706943/review/17163450/no_country_for_old_men

"Set in 1980 in West Texas, where the chase is on for stolen drug money, the film — a new career peak for the Coen brothers, who share writing and directing credits — is a literate meditation (scary words for the Transformers crowd) on America's bloodlust for the easy fix. "

Hear that Fabbs? He's talking to you. :lol

tlongII
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone for ruining this movie for me! :rolleyes

leemajors
11-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Here's a good review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/14706943/review/17163450/no_country_for_old_men

"Set in 1980 in West Texas, where the chase is on for stolen drug money, the film — a new career peak for the Coen brothers, who share writing and directing credits — is a literate meditation (scary words for the Transformers crowd) on America's bloodlust for the easy fix. "

Hear that Fabbs? He's talking to you. :lol
career peak is quite a stretch. it's good, but they have better ones.

SCdac
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Got to watch No Country' last night with some buddies at the Bijou. It definitely met my (high) expectations. The whole thing seemed so well paced and methodical - just like the book. I read it a few months ago, and I thought the movie stayed very true to it. Though, I would have liked to see more of the interraction with Moss and the young girl (who he picks up off the road in the book). Some of those landscape shots were beautiful, visually it is one of the Coen bro's best, imo. I'll admit that if I hadn't read the book, some of the things in the movie would have me scratching my head, but it didn't detract from the experience. Nothing is ever spelled out for you, I can appreciate that. I'd give the film about a 9/10.

Fabbs
11-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Once again, have you ever killed someone? Ever pulled the trigger and watched the consequences afterwards? No? Then stop talking like a badass. I know, I know, years of trolling the internets has made you a hardened thug, and you just know you could gun down 47 men in 5 minutes and then sit down and have a nice steak dinner with no lasting side effects.

And for the record, no, I've never killed anyone. However, my father has, and I'm sorry, but he knows a hell of a lot more about what it feels like than you do, judging by your comments. And even though he was justified to shoot to kill, it still made him sick to his stomach, every single time. It doesn't matter if the other person is trying to kill you. You're taking a life. It is something that will never leave you. The fact that Llewelyn doesn't shoot at the first chance is something I consider a welcome change from the typical Hollywood movie where the characters are invincible and know it.

Besides, what the HELL are you talking about when you say you could kill someone with no hesitancy? You want to seriously brag about that? You've got problems if you're calling someone a noob for hesitating to kill another person.

For the record, No Country is now ranked as the 70th highest movie on imdb, and if it's score holds, will reach into the top 10, all-time. The critics have responded as well, with an almost unanimous shower of praise. So yeah, I guess it's just me, Lee, and mono (me again) who thinks it's a decent piece of film-making. :lol
Now you're bringing your Daddee into it? :clap Notice how you keep playing the killing *someone* card, as if Chigar is just *someone*. If *someone* like Chigar was stalking me and threatening to kill my wife, yes i could dust him. Yes, i have been in police work. Yes, it would still sicken me to kill even a puke like Chigar. No, i would not sit there and freeze up. I would consider protecting others like a close relative o be of greater importance then any "sickening" feeling i might have post shot. No i would not choose to have him waste me and then my wife so i could feel sthensitive with you and mono. You seriously want to admit you would cower out and let Chigar kill you, mono and anyone else at one of your bashes? Grow a pair, or are you a chick?

:lmao Anyone needing the largest number of the "criticths" and/or imdb to validate their own weak takes shows their sheepiness. Now I've got a visual of you and mono curling up with a capacinno and watching As Good As It Gets. Because after all, the *criticths* rated it sthuper high.

monosylab1k
11-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Is Fabbs pissed because his Armageddon DVD got scratched? I've never seen anyone with more sand in his vagina.

Fabbs
11-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Who hired Chigurh? What is his connection to the money/drugs?
Did Steven Root hire him?

monosylab1k
11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Who hired Chigurh? What is his connection to the money/drugs?
Did Steven Root hire him?
did you pay any attention at all to the movie?

Cry Havoc
11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
:lmao Anyone needing the largest number of the "criticths" and/or imdb to validate their own weak takes shows their sheepiness. Now I've got a visual of you and mono curling up with a capacinno and watching As Good As It Gets. Because after all, the *criticths* rated it sthuper high.

And anyone using the word "noob" as a reason for not liking a movie pretty much fails at life.

leemajors
11-21-2007, 10:49 AM
And anyone using the word "noob" as a reason for not liking a movie pretty much fails at life.
i think i introduced newb into the conversation. but him bringing up you quoting reviews after he did it himself was awesome.

Fabbs
11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
bok bok bok bok ba Gawk!

Cry Havoc
11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
bok bok bok bok ba Gawk!

It's always amusing when someone has been so thoroughly decimated in a debate that they resort to animal noises. :lol

monosylab1k
11-22-2007, 11:47 AM
during your time off if you plan on seeing a movie, see this one. you wont regret it.

SAtoDallas
11-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Saw it yesterday and wasn't impressed it was too long and didn't seem to be going anywhere, the scenery in the towns they were supposed to be in didn't always match the real towns etc. I did like the part towards the end when the boy says "Mr. you have a bone sticking out of your arm." To each their own, here's to hoping American Gangster doesn't let down.

Fabbs
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Saw it yesterday and wasn't impressed it was too long and didn't seem to be going anywhere, the scenery in the towns they were supposed to be in didn't always match the real towns etc. I did like the part towards the end when the boy says "Mr. you have a bone sticking out of your arm." To each their own, here's to hoping American Gangster doesn't let down. SAtoDallas your review so thoroughly decimated me. :toast

Cry Havoc
11-23-2007, 02:22 PM
SAtoDallas your review so thoroughly decimated me. :toast

The other posters in this thread made sure that was taken care of well beforehand.

atxrocker
11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
i saw it last night. i liked it, but think i will stay away from reading reviews before hand because i don't know.. .. it was good but not great imo. i don't know how to give a review of this one. i thought brolin was wonderful and was a perfect fit for this role. overall, i enjoyed it but have to admit that i wasn't as impressed as some others.

monosylab1k
11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Saw it yesterday and wasn't impressed it was too long and didn't seem to be going anywhere, the scenery in the towns they were supposed to be in didn't always match the real towns etc. I did like the part towards the end when the boy says "Mr. you have a bone sticking out of your arm." To each their own, here's to hoping American Gangster doesn't let down.
That's cool, to each his own. Dissenting opinions are fine, unless you're a douche about it like Fabbs was.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
That's cool, to each his own. Dissenting opinions are fine, unless you're a douche about it like Fabbs was.

QFT.

IronMexican
12-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Just saw it. I loved the WHOLE movie. All the way till about the end. It pissed me off. Fuck this movie.

IronMexican
12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Seriously. Great, great, great movie. Bad ending.

IronMexican
12-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I understand your need for a Hollywood ending where Tommy Lee Jones says "not on my watch", comes out of retirement, grabs a gun, and goes a huntin' for Bardem. Of course he tracks him down, a massive gunfight ensues, Bardem is dead with about 800 bullet holes in him and Jones is all shot up but of course he's going to make it.

It's really a shame the movie didn't end like that for you.

I just wanted closure on the movie. That really didn't need to happen. The ending just left me with sour grapes.

dickface
12-22-2009, 08:56 AM
The point of the movie wasn't about a showdown between the badasses. If you listen closer to Tommy Lee Jones' monologues you'd understand why it ends like that.

leemajors
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
The point of the movie wasn't about a showdown between the badasses. If you listen closer to Tommy Lee Jones' monologues you'd understand why it ends like that.

Spot on.

IronMexican
12-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Hard to hear when I got my little cousins screaming. I'll definitely watch it again, though.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Jesus, it's been two years and people still have no idea what this movie is about or why it ended the way it did?

DPG21920
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Ending was the best part. It was real. Sometimes people just do bad things.

monosylab1k
12-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Ending was the best part. It was real. Sometimes people just do bad things.

Cuz it's fun to do bad things.

http://www.rides-mag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/more_hoodrat.jpg

DPG21920
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Cuz it's fun to do bad things.

http://www.rides-mag.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/more_hoodrat.jpg

LMAO, I have never gotten mad at something like that before, but I became enraged when I watched the interview.

mystargtr34
12-22-2009, 10:47 PM
LMAO, I have never gotten mad at something like that before, but I became enraged when I watched the interview.

What was that about by the way?

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Just watched this movie again last night.

Damn. It's got so much charisma, that on subsequent viewings, I find myself not rooting for any particular person, but just letting the movie go where it wants. Even though you know what's going to happen, it's still a tense ride that has way more depth to it than I remembered. The discussion with the old guy in the wheelchair that Tommy Lee Jones's character has is incredibly spartan, yet thought-provoking dialogue.

Awesome, awesome film.

vy65
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
This movie is an overrated pile of vomit.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
This movie is an overrated pile of vomit.

Clever. Any reasoning to back that up, or are you just retching yourself?

vy65
11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Clever. Any reasoning to back that up, or are you just retching yourself?

Little Column A, Little Column B.

I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy. I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present. I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."

That shit is so trite and hackneyed and annoying that it soured me to the movie.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Little Column A, Little Column B.

I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy. I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present. I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."

That shit is so trite and hackneyed and annoying that it soured me to the movie.
:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

vy65
11-22-2010, 03:42 PM
:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

I see your point, and understand why I'm wrong now. That's a well thought out and clearly presented point you've made.

vy65
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Seriously though, the movie is a fucking prolonged jerk-off session for some nostagliac view of old country life. If that's your thing, cool. To me, that shit's retarded.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
You're wrong because the movie does the absolute opposite of what I highlighted in your post. Don't feel bad though, even though you display an absolute mastery of inattention (did you even listen to what his uncle said?), you're among the masses here because it seems everyone misses the damn point for this film.

vy65
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
You're wrong because the movie does the absolute opposite of what I highlighted in your post. Don't feel bad though, even though you display an absolute mastery of inattention (did you even listen to what his uncle said?), you're among the masses here because it seems everyone misses the damn point for this film.

And how's it do that?

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
And how's it do that?

You obviously didn't pay attention to the most important scene in the movie even though you quoted from it. Rewatch the scene with the uncle then come back and tell me your view still holds any water.

vy65
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
You obviously didn't pay attention to the most important scene in the movie even though you quoted from it. Rewatch the scene with the uncle then come back and tell me your view still holds any water.

How about you explain yourself instead of assuming shit?

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy.

What's the point of this statement?

I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present.

If you're speaking to Llewelyn: A protagonist who runs from the law and attempts to kill another person, endangering the life of his family just to keep the money is innocent?

If you're talking about Sheriff Bell: Completely false. The conversation with the man in the trailer where he states that things have always been around that you cannot do anything about and his reference to the Indians who shot his relative and just rode off while he bled to death is a perfect example of why your statement holds no water. In fact, Bell is criticized here for thinking he can do anything about it, and his "uncle" tells him to stop being so vain.

The reason the book is called, "No Country for Old Men" is simply a reflection upon the lack of power that Bell feels over his life. It has nothing to do with the "good old days", the violence that Bardem brings to the movie just underscores how a small town sheriff cannot handle the war that a massive drug trade brings to his doorstep, and by extension, how much control he has in his life.

At the end of the movie, he's so totally removed from decision making that he has to ask his wife to tell him what to do in the morning, because he wants to ride his horse, but he hesitates even to do that.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."

Which is just his character being nostalgic because he's realizing that he's old, and in over his head.

Most movies like this don't make sense unless you pay attention to the dialogue. I know it's difficult because it's so much easier to watch the action scenes to try to figure out what's going on, but that's the opposite of what you need to do in this movie.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Here, watch.

y7BAtv7Z_cQ

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Here, watch.

y7BAtv7Z_cQ

For being just a few minutes long, that scene is fucking amazing. Saying so much with so little, in such simple terms.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Marini, don't think I don't see you lurkin' in this thread. You know you should give your opinion. :toast

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Damn, VY vanished. :lol

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Damn, VY vanished. :lol

You guys really,really like this movie and take it way,way too serious.

If anyone doesn't like it as much as you do...you really take it personal.

I wish there were more movies that gave me that feeling.

Phillip
11-22-2010, 05:53 PM

Funny coming from you, considering how personal you took it when Mono gave his opinion that Kanye West is a musical genius, and your fucking chode exploded into a million pieces. :rolleyes

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Funny coming from you, considering how personal you took it when Mono gave his opinion that Kanye West is a musical genius, and your fucking chode exploded into a million pieces. :rolleyes

The funny part is that you, considering that you said you were a musician yourself, consider kanye a musical genius....that's funny.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Actually its not even in my top 10 - not really even close actually. Whats funny is how all of you don't get it. VY65 went so far as to say the movie was the opposite than what it was. Its kinda like when you were all over the place changing your stance on what the movie was with every post you made.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
The funny part is that you, considering that you said you were a musician yourself, consider kanye a musical genius....that's funny.

:lol Calling your own songs genius but then being too scared to post them. Now THAT was funny.

Phillip
11-22-2010, 06:23 PM

And when did I ever say I consdier Kanye a musical genius? I think you need to go back and read the thread. I simply defended against your retarded fucking notion that making hip hop beats requires no talent and is just simply "pressing buttons". Fucking dumbass.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
:lol Calling your own songs genius but then being too scared to post them. Now THAT was funny.

Never called my own songs genius and I said I would post mine right after you post yours.

The funny part is that if you heard my songs you would be too much of a pussy to admit they were good. You would just try to knock them down while listening to trash like Kanye and agreeing with others just to be liked here.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
And when did I ever say I consdier Kanye a musical genius? I think you need to go back and read the thread. I simply defended against your retarded fucking notion that making hip hop beats requires no talent and is just simply "pressing buttons". Fucking dumbass.

Not understanding why your panties are all twisted.

Making beats is not the same as playing a drumset. Making beats is pushing a button to play a drum/percussion part that real musicians recorded. Try to understand that at one time ...you would actually invent and play the music yourself on instruments. You didn't push buttons and play programmed beats and then consider yourself a musician.

Hope you can understand the difference and save your hatred for something else.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Never called my own songs genius and I said I would post mine right after you post yours.

The funny part is that if you heard my songs you would be too much of a pussy to admit they were good. You would just try to knock them down while listening to trash like Kanye and agreeing with others just to be liked here.

:lol You definitely said your songs were genius. You pretty much sucked your own dick saying they were so well crafted.

You're doing it in this post too by saying that I'd have to admit they were good as if that was the only possibility!!!

:lol @ doing something just to be liked on here. Pretty sure there isn't a person on Spurstalk left that I haven't pissed off but I do find it hilarious that somehow I'd bash your music to be liked and not because well, it sucked?

Poor musical genius is scared people will make fun of his music. :depressed:depressed

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Making beats is not the same as playing a drumset. Making beats is pushing a button to play a drum/percussion part that real musicians recorded. Try to understand that at one time ...you would actually invent and play the music yourself on instruments. You didn't push buttons and play programmed beats and then consider yourself a musician.

This is why I know you made horrible music. A real musician would never limit himself to this ridiculous definition of what music is. A real musician could make a beat out of shit like a washboard and a jug and not say NOPE that doesn't count because it wasn't on an orchestral instrument.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
:lol You definitely said your songs were genius. You pretty much sucked your own dick saying they were so well crafted.

You're doing it in this post too by saying that I'd have to admit they were good as if that was the only possibility!!!

:lol @ doing something just to be liked on here. Pretty sure there isn't a person on Spurstalk left that I haven't pissed off but I do find it hilarious that somehow I'd bash your music to be liked and not because well, it sucked?

Poor musical genius is scared people will make fun of his music. :depressed:depressed

What I did say was describe that the SONGS have beautiful melodies and are well crafted songs. Never did I claim to be a musical genius and that was the whole point of that thread-musical genius. I don't feel that the term musical genius should be bandied about to hacks like kanye and the truth is that there are just not that many musical geniuses around-period.

And I said that even if you thought they WERE good-that you would be too much of a pussy to admit it. Of course, there are many people with other taste who would hate them.Some would hate some would love them some wouldn't give a shit either way-but I do know one goddamn thing...you would NOT be man enough to express the truth...you would just find a way to trash them and/or lie about what you heard just to be an ass as you have always been.

But deep inside you would know the truth -that you never expected to hear something that good coming from me.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh you're just so misunderstood! Must be painful being such a big musical genius that no one acknowledges with his well crafted songs and what not.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
This is why I know you made horrible music. A real musician would never limit himself to this ridiculous definition of what music is. A real musician could make a beat out of shit like a washboard and a jug and not say NOPE that doesn't count because it wasn't on an orchestral instrument.

You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between a musical genius and just someone who is ...just average.

No one ever said that I or anyone else would limit themselves to any instruments or any method to making music.

A musical genius will make brilliant music either way-I can agree with you there-if that is what you are trying to say.

But a person who pushes a button may be many things...he may be loved by a large segment of fans...he may be a great rapper....he may be a shitty rapper...he may be many things...but he will never be a musical genius by pushing buttons and talking over a programmed beat.

Prince for example, played many instruments, sang, produced, ran his LIVE band, wrote songs,lyrics, arrangements, had melodies,lyrics, hooks, hits,etc...
by the time he was 16 or 17.
Although Prince was never my cup of tea...he was and is most assuredly a musical genius.

Tell me how Kanye...by pushing a button and cursing over a beat and then singing badly and off key is a musical genius?

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
You obviously have no clue what composers do and why many composers are considered musical geniuses.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 07:02 PM
You obviously have no clue what composers do and why many composers are considered musical geniuses.

Composers compose music.

Not push a button and curse over a repetitive beat.

ALVAREZ6
11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between a musical genius and just someone who is ...just average.

No one ever said that I or anyone else would limit themselves to any instruments or any method to making music.

A musical genius will make brilliant music either way-I can agree with you there-if that is what you are trying to say.

But a person who pushes a button may be many things...he may be loved by a large segment of fans...he may be a great rapper....he may be a shitty rapper...he may be many things...but he will never be a musical genius by pushing buttons and talking over a programmed beat.

Prince for example, played many instruments, sang, produced, ran his LIVE band, wrote songs,lyrics, arrangements, had melodies,lyrics, hooks, hits,etc...
by the time he was 16 or 17.
Although Prince was never my cup of tea...he was and is most assuredly a musical genius.

Tell me how Kanye...by pushing a button and cursing over a beat and then singing badly and off key is a musical genius?

:tu

There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses. And with the current trend and evolution of rap music over the past decade, I don't ever expect too many more to ever exist.

I'm not even going to limit this discussion to just rap in this case...I think in general new music is just shit. There aren't exactly too many new rock bands I enjoy either. The majority of the music that I consider top notch in my book is all of the past.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Composers compose music.

Not push a button and curse over a repetitive beat.

You think Kanye's beats pop up simply by pushing a button? Thats the equivlant of saying a guitarist just strums some strings. He composes the beats - he composes the melodies - he composes those songs. Thats what you can't seem to understand.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
:tu

There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses. And with the current trend and evolution of rap music over the past decade, I don't ever expect too many more to ever exist.

I'm not even going to limit this discussion to just rap in this case...I think in general new music is just shit. There aren't exactly too many new rock bands I enjoy either. The majority of the music that I consider top notch in my book is all of the past.

Agreed.

Because being a success in today's music world is not based on talent anymore. It is based on other things but most importantly it is only the few people that are signed to a few major labels that have the money to payoff the viacom/empty-V people who only play a small rotation of [I]artists[I]
...and only the ones who paid. It is modern day payola that no-one seems to want to regulate anymore.

You havta' look pretty hard to find the true talented artists around depending on your taste in music...they are out there but they are harder to find because they are not involved in the payola scam.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
People said the same shit in the 60s. They said the same shit in the 70s. They said the same shit in the 80s. They said the same shit in the 90s. They're still saying the same thing today.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
You think Kanye's beats pop up simply by pushing a button? Thats the equivlant of saying a guitarist just strums some strings. He composes the beats - he composes the melodies - he composes those songs. Thats what you can't seem to understand.

I understand it completely. I have listened to those songs. They are really,really bad. They are songs that if you went back to the 60's and 70's...they are so bad that these attempts at melodies are comparable to one of the 60/70's artists would have done when they just learned songwriting.
Imagine someone when they were 12 years old...just wrote their first melody or two...and then put them on an album..that is how amateurish Kanyes songs are....and THAT is why he is nowhere near a musical genius.
His lyrics are like lyrics that any songwriter of merit would have written when they were 13 years old and thought they were hits, only to look back 20 years later and say to himself...man...I thought those songs were good...but they were really bad...I am glad that I kept writing and re-writing for 20 years and actually became competent.
Kanye is that 13 year old who still hasn't learned how to write a song. Talk about weak melodies, talk about weak and off key singing....on & on & on...

THIS is why I cringe when people throw the term musical genius around.

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM

You really don't get it.

It has absolutely zero, zilch, NOTHING to do with the fact that you disagree with me. You are more than welcome to love or hate any movie you choose.

However, when you make the decision to post your opinion about a movie on an internet forum, you open yourself up to potential criticism. Now, I would be more than happy to debate the merits and failings of NCfOM with you, as that is the point of threads such as this.

However, when your sole reason for not liking a movie is "hurr durr its retarded", you are not only giving evidence that you lack the mental acumen to articulate yourself properly beyond a 7th grade level, you are actively wasting everyone's time with drivel.

Stating this movie sucks because its stupid is not a way to get across that you use your frontal lobes at all. And as has been discussed, vy's critique was inaccurate because it directly contradicts the canonical content of both the movie and the book. It would be like saying Schindler's list is a bad movie because the main character is so anti-semetic. You are free to espouse that viewpoint, but if you can't back it up with facts or events from the movie, your opinion is going to be mocked or disregarded, because it makes no sense.

You simply don't understand that basic situation, and nothing anyone says makes an impact on your brain.

And :lol at you criticizing someone for liking kanye after the above post. Do you intentionally try to be as hypocritical as possible, or what?

MannyIsGod
11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I understand it completely. I have listened to those songs. They are really,really bad. They are songs that if you went back to the 60's and 70's...they are so bad that these attempts at melodies are comparable to one of the 60/70's artists would have done when they just learned songwriting.
Imagine someone when they were 12 years old...just wrote their first melody or two...and then put them on an album..that is how amateurish Kanyes songs are....and THAT is why he is nowhere near a musical genius.
His lyrics are like lyrics that any songwriter of merit would have written when they were 13 years old and thought they were hits, only to look back 20 years later and say to himself...man...I thought those songs were good...but they were really bad...I am glad that I kept writing and re-writing for 20 years and actually became competent.
Kanye is that 13 year old who still hasn't learned how to write a song. Talk about weak melodies, talk about weak and off key singing....on & on & on...

THIS is why I cringe when people throw the term musical genius around.

And yet your music that is so well crafted goes unpublished. :lol So fucking funny.

Its also funny that your changing your stance again. First it was that he pushed a button and cursed and now its that his lyrics and melody just aren't good. I wonder what reason you'll give in the next post.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
You really don't get it.

It has absolutely zero, zilch, NOTHING to do with the fact that you disagree with me. You are more than welcome to love or hate any movie you choose.

However, when you make the decision to post your opinion about a movie on an internet forum, you open yourself up to potential criticism. Now, I would be more than happy to debate the merits and failings of NCfOM with you, as that is the point of threads such as this.

However, when your sole reason for not liking a movie is "hurr durr its retarded", you are not only giving evidence that you lack the mental acumen to articulate yourself properly beyond a 7th grade level, you are actively wasting everyone's time with drivel.

Stating this movie sucks because its stupid is not a way to get across that you use your frontal lobes at all. And as has been discussed, vy's critique was inaccurate because it directly contradicts the canonical content of both the movie and the book. It would be like saying Schindler's list is a bad movie because the main character is so anti-semetic. You are free to espouse that viewpoint, but if you can't back it up with facts or events from the movie, your opinion is going to be mocked or disregarded, because it makes no sense.

You simply don't understand that basic situation, and nothing anyone says makes an impact on your brain.

And :lol at you criticizing someone for liking kanye after the above post. Do you intentionally try to be as hypocritical as possible, or what?

You really wanted to bring this thread back for so long didn't you.:lol

I always said that I liked the first 90% of NCFOM...but everyone trashed me for not liking the ending. That is why i said that you guys really like this movie...I wasn't trashing your opinions or the movie-I was stating a fact-that you guys really seem to take it personal. Movies are art-IMO. In art you can get feelings drawn out of you...you can be inspired...you can be moved...you can be let down. The ending to this movie made me feel let down. Whether you or MannyisGod or any others like to hear that-it is the truth...MY truth...that is how I experienced that movie. Someone said that my feeling a certain way was not good enough...then i guess you are saying that feelings/emotions don't matter in art/music/etc...
Too bad...that is what I felt and no-one else can change that.
By the way...when I first saw this movie...I would have been a perfect audience for the meaning to the ending-because I had recently lost my dad and the Tommy lee Jones character's final words ...SHOULD ...have really given me some comfort...
but I digested it...thought about it...understood it...and then just felt the feeling of being let down...like they almost had me...close...but no cigar.
That was my honest reaction to the ending and the movie went from being almost perfect to not quite in that category. That is MY feeling of that movie.
Feel free to praise it to high heaven and insult those that don't wish to debate it's artistic merits...it is your option.

As far as the Kanye thing...the original thread started with the OP saying Kanye is a musical genius and to whoever disagrees-to go suck a dick...

It was funny and it was fun to play the contrarian...and the only point that I believed in was the musical genius part. I don't care if you like Kanye or not...it does not bother me...saying Kanye is a musical genius does bother me.

ALVAREZ6
11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
And yet your music that is so well crafted goes unpublished. :lol So fucking funny.

Only what sells goes published. Not everything that sells is great music. Obviously you are aware of the fact that most new music we hear coming out is garbage.

One of my favorite rappers of those that are still rapping has in recent history signed with a major label, and in my opinion what he's put out with the big label has been complete shit. Many of his mixtapes are BOMB in my view...and they include tons of songs that most people don't know about.

Just because you're published doesn't mean you're currently making good music...it means some retard up top thinks your shit can sell, sell to the actual people that will pay for the music: parents buying CDs for their 12 year old son/daughter that only listens for new music via radio.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Its also funny that your changing your stance again. First it was that he pushed a button and cursed and now its that his lyrics and melody just aren't good. I wonder what reason you'll give in the next post.

I was published in 2001(as a songwriter). Pretty small time...not too much came out of it because the artist that was given my material would not tour.

Shit happens.

I will self publish my CD and just be content with a small yearly sum instead of trying to play the ...music label/record company game...to try for riches.

So I decided to just play the music myself with a band whether or not it makes me money. I already have a career-I am not playing the music in my band to make money and anyone who thinks they can is in for a long, hard road and they still won't really make ends meet unless a miracle happens.

The music can be good and honest without necessarily making you rich, that is just an unfortunate fact in this business. The love for playing, writing,performing is a pretty good reward in itself.
I also said in the other thread that if Kanye and a bunch of others found a way to make millions-then props to them because they are talented at making money. But that does not make them musical geniuses.

I never changed my stance on the one thing I was trying to express. That Kanye is not a musical genius. Kanye -as far as I know-does not play any musical instruments and his singing is horrible (so is mine-therefore I will never be a musical genius) ...he does push a button and talk about himself a lot while cursing...

If this makes him a musical genius in YOUR eyes...then why argue...enjoy his music or raps or programming or whatever other genius talents he has.

BlackSwordsMan
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Are you gonna post your musical talents, sweetie?

I Cut
11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
What a great great movie. Woody is great in it.

CuckingFunt
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM

I'm amused by the implication that those of us defending the film are taking it personally and/or too seriously, but those of you who argue against it are, what, just having fun?

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm amused by the implication that those of us defending the film are taking it personally and/or too seriously, but those of you who argue against it are, what, just having fun?

The LAST line is the only one that matters.

I wish there were more movies that made ME feel this way.

That is all that was meant.

CuckingFunt
11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Incidentally, I was discussing No Country for Old Men with a couple of friends a week or so ago. We decided that the people who don't like the film or its ending are almost certainly the same people who thought the second season of "The Wire" was boring.

CuckingFunt
11-22-2010, 08:13 PM
The LAST line is the only one that matters.

I wish there were more movies that made ME feel this way.

That is all that was meant.

If the last line was all that mattered, I'm guessing it would have been the only one you bothered typing. It wasn't, however.

silverblk mystix
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
If the last line was all that mattered, I'm guessing it would have been the only one you bothered typing. It wasn't, however.

Didn't have the foresight to see that it would be taken as some kind of slight.

It seems that this movie means a lot, is taken quite seriously-IMO

Cry Havoc
11-22-2010, 09:41 PM
You really wanted to bring this thread back for so long didn't you.:lol

Oh yes. I've been itching. Because nothing says, "I hope people disagree with me" like watching a movie again and stating that it's still an enjoyable flick.

I always said that I liked the first 90% of NCFOM...but everyone trashed me for not liking the ending.

Wrong again. People trashed you because you couldn't tell anyone WHY you disliked the ending. You sputtered around and didn't have anything beyond, "I didn't like it." Again, refer to my earlier comment about being unable to articulate yourself properly.

That is why i said that you guys really like this movie...I wasn't trashing your opinions or the movie-I was stating a fact-that you guys really seem to take it personal.

Uh, what evidence do you have that we're taking it personally? As I said before, anyone is free to tell me they don't like NCfOM, if they can provide some sort of rationale for why they feel that way.

Movies are art-IMO. In art you can get feelings drawn out of you...you can be inspired...you can be moved...you can be let down. The ending to this movie made me feel let down.

Just a thought... if I were to boil this movie down to it's most basic elements, it's a movie about a drug war and a homicidal maniac indiscriminately slaying people who stand in his path. Several of the main characters die, and the "good guy" gives up trying to hunt the "bad guy".

What part, exactly, did you hope to feel happy or uplifted by?

Whether you or MannyisGod or any others like to hear that-it is the truth...MY truth...that is how I experienced that movie. Someone said that my feeling a certain way was not good enough...then i guess you are saying that feelings/emotions don't matter in art/music/etc...
Too bad...that is what I felt and no-one else can change that.

You're awfully defensive for accusing people of caring too much about a movie. :lol

By the way...when I first saw this movie...I would have been a perfect audience for the meaning to the ending-because I had recently lost my dad and the Tommy lee Jones character's final words ...SHOULD ...have really given me some comfort...

Why are you telling a movie what it should and should not be, now? The Coen brothers don't care about your personal situation. They made a movie to tell a story. What a movie "should" do in your opinion is completely irrelevant.

but I digested it...thought about it...understood it...and then just felt the feeling of being let down...like they almost had me...close...but no cigar.
That was my honest reaction to the ending and the movie went from being almost perfect to not quite in that category. That is MY feeling of that movie.
Feel free to praise it to high heaven and insult those that don't wish to debate it's artistic merits...it is your option.

Have you ever considered that maybe that's exactly what the Coen brothers wanted you to feel? It wasn't meant to be a feel good film. The ending is not supposed to be happy or comforting -- at most, you feel catharsis for the life the Sheriff has lived, who he is, and what has become of him through the progression of the movie, because we've all been in situations where we feel exactly the way he is feeling, or close to it... helpless to do anything about the tempest that's swirling around him.

IronMexican
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Incidentally, I was discussing No Country for Old Men with a couple of friends a week or so ago. We decided that the people who don't like the film or its ending are almost certainly the same people who thought the second season of "The Wire" was boring.

I dug the ending to NCFOM after my second watch.

Season 2 wasn't boring, but it was far from my favorite.

About the only thing boring on The Wire was the entire newspaper stuff in season 5.

silverblk mystix
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Oh yes. I've been itching. Because nothing says, "I hope people disagree with me" like watching a movie again and stating that it's still an enjoyable flick.

Wrong again. People trashed you because you couldn't tell anyone WHY you disliked the ending. You sputtered around and didn't have anything beyond, "I didn't like it." Again, refer to my earlier comment about being unable to articulate yourself properly.

Uh, what evidence do you have that we're taking it personally? As I said before, anyone is free to tell me they don't like NCfOM, if they can provide some sort of rationale for why they feel that way.

Just a thought... if I were to boil this movie down to it's most basic elements, it's a movie about a drug war and a homicidal maniac indiscriminately slaying people who stand in his path. Several of the main characters die, and the "good guy" gives up trying to hunt the "bad guy".

What part, exactly, did you hope to feel happy or uplifted by?

You're awfully defensive for accusing people of caring too much about a movie. :lol

Why are you telling a movie what it should and should not be, now? The Coen brothers don't care about your personal situation. They made a movie to tell a story. What a movie "should" do in your opinion is completely irrelevant.

Have you ever considered that maybe that's exactly what the Coen brothers wanted you to feel? It wasn't meant to be a feel good film. The ending is not supposed to be happy or comforting -- at most, you feel catharsis for the life the Sheriff has lived, who he is, and what has become of him through the progression of the movie, because we've all been in situations where we feel exactly the way he is feeling, or close to it... helpless to do anything about the tempest that's swirling around him.

You are the one that is assuming that I wanted a feel good ending. You assumed that I wanted the Cop to kill the good guy,etc...

I never said that.

I stated before that, as good as the first 90% of the movie was, that I was hoping to be wowed by the ending-but I wasn't. If I knew how to better write that ending though, I guess I would be a professional screenwriter.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I was hoping to be wowed by the ending-but I wasn't

My point exactly, thank you. You wanted a Hollywood ending to a movie that wanted nothing to do with the conventions of Hollywood. It wasn't what you expected, so you hated it (the ending).

Phillip
11-23-2010, 10:44 AM

lol piano

monosylab1k
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses.

unfortunately one of those is Nelly, in your opinion :lmao

silverblk mystix
11-23-2010, 11:18 AM
My point exactly, thank you. You wanted a Hollywood ending to a movie that wanted nothing to do with the conventions of Hollywood. It wasn't what you expected, so you hated it (the ending).

Not quite.

I knew the movie wasn't going to have a conventional hlwd ending-and I was NOT hoping for a neatly-wrapped bow-tied ending either.

I wanted to be wowed while staying true to the first part of the movie.
I thought that a great writer/director would have pulled this off a little better than it ended but it was not to be.

My only expectation was for the movie -if it was to be great movie for 90% of it-why not the last 5-10%?

That is all I expected...greatness...finish the greatness you started...and I felt that they tried to hit a home run but at the end settled for a double.

I still feel that way and if it worked for you and everyone else-then great.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Not quite.

I knew the movie wasn't going to have a conventional hlwd ending-and I was NOT hoping for a neatly-wrapped bow-tied ending either.

I wanted to be wowed while staying true to the first part of the movie.
I thought that a great writer/director would have pulled this off a little better than it ended but it was not to be.

My only expectation was for the movie -if it was to be great movie for 90% of it-why not the last 5-10%?

That is all I expected...greatness...finish the greatness you started...and I felt that they tried to hit a home run but at the end settled for a double.

I still feel that way and if it worked for you and everyone else-then great.

Again, what exactly about the ending didn't feel true to the rest of the movie and therefore disappointed you? You've yet to elaborate on this aside from using different metaphors for, "It sucked and I hated it."

silverblk mystix
11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Again, what exactly about the ending didn't feel true to the rest of the movie and therefore disappointed you? You've yet to elaborate on this aside from using different metaphors for, "It sucked and I hated it."

Apparently, I can't.

Tried but, although it satisfies me (my reasons), others swarmed like piranhas demanding for better or more articulated reasons.
In other words-what they WANT to hear...which is (in their minds) that I didn't get it.
As if it was impossible for someone to just feel let down by a movie's ending.

Sorry, no can do.

Cry Havoc
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Apparently, I can't.

although it satisfies me (my reasons)

What reasons would those be?

silverblk mystix
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
What reasons would those be?

Round & round & round we go....:lol

take your pick;

The last 10 minutes of the movie felt anti-climactic as compared to the first 90%...

The Coen brothers stayed true to the book...and I don't know if the ending worked beautifully in the book...but for me the ending didn't work as well on the screen...

I felt the screenwriter-(if he had an option to come up with something new)
just didn't write the last 10 minutes as well as the first hour & a half...

I am not impressed with the way the Coen brothers seemed to take a perverse infatuation with the killer, even if they wanted to emphasize the fact that violence is random the way life is random, I still wasn't impressed.
(I can see the Coens at a starbucks grinning ear to ear as they bite into their biscotti and discuss the killers haircut, his name, his weapon of choice,etc)

If they were so intent on being unconventional, they could have just as easily had Chigurgh kill the TL Jones guy...or other endings that would have at least not felt anti-climactic...

Bottom line...liked the first part...not impressed with the ending.

leemajors
11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
they stayed true to the book, and it was a good choice to do so.

ALVAREZ6
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
unfortunately one of those is Nelly, in your opinion :lmao

Unfortunately you don't know how to read.

MultiTroll
02-24-2021, 09:20 PM
Was flipping channels today and this part of the movie was showing. Maybe some of you often watchers or book readers can explain.....
Q:

When Carson Wells meets up with hospitalized Llewllwen, he tries to convince Lew to hand over the money by telling him Sugar is such a demonic killer. Lew says go f yourself, I'll deal with Sugar myself.
Carson had done some excellent detective work and sure enough, he walks the bridge and finds the spot where Lew threw the suitcase over the chain link fence and there it sits on the river bank. This is with full sun up, appears to be morning or mid day at the latest.

Why didn't Carson go get the suitcase full of money right then and there?

Instead, next scene we see is nightfall. Carson walking up the stairs to his motel room and there is SuperAssHat Sugar who of course kills him.
Sugar then talks to Lew on the phone, gives Lew his usual threatening bullshit and Lew tells him he gonna make Sugar a special project of his own.

Next day Lew goes and retrieves the suitcase.

TimDunkem
02-25-2021, 08:55 PM
He might've believed it was safest there at the time, presumably believing that only he and Llewellyn knew of it's location. He never got the chance to go back for it.

MultiTroll
02-25-2021, 11:06 PM
He might've believed it was safest there at the time, presumably believing that only he and Llewellyn knew of it's location. He never got the chance to go back for it.
But i mean c'mon, Carson purports to know all about Sugar and knew Sugar was in complete dogged pursuit of Lew.

For that matter why didn't Sugar go looking for Llew right then and there that night. Or at least in the early a.m.?
The scene shows Llew retrieving the suitcase the next day at Noon or later.

:lol YouTube has every damn scene in the movie except Carson looking at the suitcase from the bridge and Llew retrieving the suitcase the next day.

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 12:05 AM
Carson was a hotshot in over his head. He didn't even think Anton would come back to the scene of his previous crime and kill him.

Anton told Lew why he wasn't chasing him anymore. He had already decided to go after his wife for inconveniencing him.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 01:10 AM
Carson was a hotshot in over his head. He didn't even think Anton would come back to the scene of his previous crime and kill him.

Anton told Lew why he wasn't chasing him anymore. He had already decided to go after his wife for inconveniencing him.
Ya he came across as an over confident know it all and Harrelson was the perfect choice. Probably didn't have to act much.
Still think the decision to not go for the 2 million suitcase pronto was a plot hole. He seemed to hold Sugar in enough regard to know he better hurry the hell up. But didn't.

Previous crime scene at the hotel where Carson was?

How did Sugar know to look for Lew at the hotel? Or did he just see all the cop cars and put 2 and 2 together?

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Ya he came across as an over confident know it all and Harrelson was the perfect choice. Probably didn't have to act much.
Still think the decision to not go for the 2 million suitcase pronto was a plot hole. He seemed to hold Sugar in enough regard to know he better hurry the hell up. But didn't.

Previous crime scene at the hotel where Carson was?

How did Sugar know to look for Lew at the hotel? Or did he just see all the cop cars and put 2 and 2 together?
It's a mystery sure, but not really a plot hole. I've always assumed Carson was after Anton as well. Jumping into the creek in broad daylight when he knew it was safe and grabbing it would make him a bigger target is always what I went with. Either that, or he just got lazy and went back to the hotel where he was ambushed by Anton.

Yes. Carson stayed at the hotel Lew encountered Anton in, in Eagle Pass. Anton killed the clerk Lew asked watch to out for any strange men before their gunfight. Anton strolled in the next day and "killed a retired Army Colonel", Carson.

Q.3: Are you referring to the one Lew was killed at? Or the one we just discussed? He found him at both the Del Rio motel and the hotel in Eagle Pass through pings from the tracking device. If you're talking about the El Paso scene where Lew was killed, it seems Anton showed up late. Finding which hotel he was killed at must've been easy. As for how he found him in El Paso, he made an educated guess based on the answers he got from the Alpine, TX guy he killed out on the interstate. He told him the closest major airport was El Paso.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Anton’s character did not lend itself to making things easy. The theme of random events rumbling out of control allowed the Coen brothers to use this character to figure out things to give him a mystical quality (there are a lot of how the fck did he figure....with this character). And at the same time he flips coins to make important decisions. The total lack of humanity in the character and random decisions seems to allow for the viewer to believe he is unpredictable in his capabilities. This paranoia extends to the people he interacts with.

I look at it this way. The Cohen brothers are clearly about the entire process and not necessarily the endings for their popular movies. And most of them seem to follow the same theme of random events occurring and tumbling out of control. Which personally I find very pleasing. Or maybe just a good break from very standard cookie cutter movies.

and I could be entirely off-base.
but I had to comment because I really liked this movie

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 10:40 AM
It's a mystery sure, but not really a plot hole. I've always assumed Carson was after Anton as well. Jumping into the creek in broad daylight when he knew it was safe and grabbing it would make him a bigger target is always what I went with. Either that, or he just got lazy and went back to the hotel where he was ambushed by Anton.

Yes. Carson stayed at the hotel Lew encountered Anton in, in Eagle Pass. Anton killed the clerk Lew asked watch to out for any strange men before their gunfight. Anton strolled in the next day and "killed a retired Army Colonel", Carson.

Q.3: Are you referring to the one Lew was killed at? Or the one we just discussed? He found him at both the Del Rio motel and the hotel in Eagle Pass through pings from the tracking device. If you're talking about the El Paso scene where Lew was killed, it seems Anton showed up late. Finding which hotel he was killed at must've been easy. As for how he found him in El Paso, he made an educated guess based on the answers he got from the Alpine, TX guy he killed out on the interstate. He told him the closest major airport was El Paso.
Carson, in spite of his know-it-all attitude showed me enough acumen ie he found Llew in the Mexican hospital very quickly all things being equal......

Building on your point of Carson not wanting to make himself a bigger target thus thought "hey Sugar is out there lurking, maybe I'll let Llew retrieve the money and then IF Sugar is watching I'll self preserve and let Llew get killed." Kind of like some dogs, you take an older vet dog and pair it with a young pup. When approaching potential trouble, often times the vet dog will let the younger dog wander into potential trouble. However problem with that theory is how/when is Carson going to get the money if he waits? Camp out somewhere with a view of the riverbank so he can confront Llew after he picks it up? And/or smoke Sugar after Sugar smokes Llew?

Still seems like a weird plot hole to me that Carson , 1st waited and then much later (night) was so nonchalantly strolling back to his hotel room. Knowing Sugar was lurking, on the loose, and sure enough, there appears Sugar. The lazy theory would fit. Just seems weird given he did show enough acumen to get to the point to where he was. In a position to get the money and complete his mission thus get paid.

No i don't history of the hotel Carson was staying in. Sugar had smoked someone in Carson Death Hotel before?

Q3 Yes the one Llew was killed at. Sugar found it simply by following the cop commotion?
And where did the money end up. Sugar was snooping for it at Lew Death Hotel but did he find it? Or that is left up to the viewer?

pgardn
02-26-2021, 10:40 AM
I think I have watched it all the way through about four times.
or maybe just certain segments. it’s up there with Fargo and the big Lebowski for me although it’s much darker imo (than Fargo) The big Lebowski and oh brother where art thou are just loaded with funny conversation. Love those two

pgardn
02-26-2021, 10:46 AM
Carson, in spite of his know-it-all attitude showed me enough acumen ie he found Llew in the Mexican hospital very quickly all things being equal......

Building on your point of Carson not wanting to make himself a bigger target thus thought "hey Sugar is out there lurking, maybe I'll let Llew retrieve the money and then IF Sugar is watching I'll self preserve and let Llew get killed." Kind of like some dogs, you take an older vet dog and pair it with a young pup. When approaching potential trouble, often times the vet dog will let the younger dog wander into potential trouble. However problem with that theory is how/when is Carson going to get the money if he waits? Camp out somewhere with a view of the riverbank so he can confront Llew after he picks it up? And/or smoke Sugar after Sugar smokes Llew?

Still seems like a weird plot hole to me that Carson , 1st waited and then much later (night) was so nonchalantly strolling back to his hotel room. Knowing Sugar was lurking, on the loose, and sure enough, there appears Sugar. The lazy theory would fit. Just seems weird given he did show enough acumen to get to the point to where he was. In a position to get the money and complete his mission thus get paid.

No i don't history of the hotel Carson was staying in. Sugar had smoked someone in Carson Death Hotel before?

Q3 Yes the one Llew was killed at. Sugar found it simply by following the cop commotion?
And where did the money end up. Sugar was snooping for it at Lew Death Hotel but did he find it? Or that is left up to the viewer?

to me it’s possible Carson was just used for a kind of sealed the fate character. I almost think the viewer was supposed to feel that Carson knows he is dealing with a character that in the long run he can’t handle, but he hast to give it a try.

The cockiness he displays would lend doubt to my argument. but he gets surprised enough for me think he knows it’s going to end badly.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 10:46 AM
Bottom line for me very compelling movie but like other above i found the ending to be non satisfying. Spinners will Straw that into "Oh you wanted a Hollywood ending."
Nope.

Rather the glorification of Sugar being the all knowing all foreseeing was just bullshit imo. The pharmacy scene where he throws in a bomb and everyone scatters leaving his demon ass to stroll in and get all the supplies he needed. That was some Hollywood bullshit.

10/10 all but the last 20 minutes or so.

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 10:49 AM
^No you're right, gard. Anton's character is a personification for the unrelenting force of death and destruction that's always seemingly around the corner.

And, yes, MT, it doesn't always make sense just like death, but the spectre is there and ready to act given the right unfortunate circumstances as seen in the movie. He's the balance to Lew and Sheriff Bell. Bell discussed this as much at the beginning and ending of the film.

I believe the ending was satisfying, imho, as Bell goes to a really dark place and yet again implies through his dream that he isn't made for the world he finds himself in. Hence No Country for..yada yada.

One of the best movies of this young century so far. There are few movies like it.

My dream is a Cohen Bros take on Blood Meridian.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 10:50 AM
Bottom line for me very compelling movie but like other above i found the ending to be non satisfying. Spinners will Straw that into "Oh you wanted a Hollywood ending."
Nope.

Rather the glorification of Sugar being the all knowing all foreseeing was just bullshit imo. The pharmacy scene where he throws in a bomb and everyone scatters leaving his demon ass to stroll in and get all the supplies he needed. That was some Hollywood bullshit.

10/10 all but the last 20 minutes or so.

no I can definitely see this.
they could definitely have ended it differently and it still have the same effect.
I just see the ending in this movie as much less important than the whole process. Or maybe it’s just that you can’t get rid of the calculating but random devil in humanity. So live with it. I’m not really sure

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Also, if you read the book, Anton comes across more as a pretty savy hitman. He does his DD although he comes across more as a omnipresent force in the movie but, again, that's what the Cohen's were going for.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 10:55 AM
^No you're right, gard. Anton's character is a personification for the unrelenting force of death and destruction that's always seemingly around the corner.

And, yes, MT, it doesn't always make sense just like death, but the spectre is there and ready to act given the right unfortunate circumstances as seen in the movie. He's the balance to Lew and Sheriff Bell. Bell discussed this as much at the beginning and ending of the film.

I believe the ending was satisfying, imho, as Bell goes to a really dark place and yet again implies through his dream that he isn't made for the world he finds himself in. Hence No Country for..yada yada.

One of the best movies of this young century so far. There are few movies like it.

My dream is a Cohen Bros take on Blood Meridian.
Sugar as being Death makes total sense.
That seems like a fit 100.

Thank you.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 10:56 AM
Well the fact that the movie even led to this type of conversation may indicate how powerful it was. I’m not really a very thoughtful movie critic, but when something like this shows up and just totally captures you... when you get bored easily and something like this comes along and punches you in the face, you know it’s something special.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 10:59 AM
to me it’s possible Carson was just used for a kind of sealed the fate character. I almost think the viewer was supposed to feel that Carson knows he is dealing with a character that in the long run he can’t handle, but he hast to give it a try.
Great summary, concur.

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 10:59 AM

1. Something along those lines. Point being that he probably felt it wasn't the best time to grab it. He was fucked anyway had he grabbed it as we saw Anton was waiting for him.

2. Yes. It's the same hotel Anton found Lew. He smoked the clerk with the cat.

3. Yes and he was in El Paso to begin with based off of the info he got from the Alpine guy with the chickens. He knew Lew was going to be trying to escape by plane.

The money was taken by Anton in the end. We know this after seeing the dimes and AC grate on the floor in the hotel room. That part was a little confusing though because we get this weird scene where we see Anton in the room Bell is about to enter, but he isn't ACTUALLY there. He WAS before Bell got there though. I think this was just a visual of the sense of fear Bell was feeling in that moment.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 11:02 AM
Also, if you read the book, Anton comes across more as a pretty savy hitman. He does his DD although he comes across more as a omnipresent force in the movie but, again, that's what the Cohen's were going for.
The part where Llew could have smoked him while looking out his hotel room at the door and seeing Sugars feet cast as a shadow. Lew does not shoot, next thing Sugar plunks him with that damn cow air gun.

Fark that slayed me.

I hate bullies.

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Well the fact that the movie even led to this type of conversation may indicate how powerful it was. I’m not really a very thoughtful movie critic, but when something like this shows up and just totally captures you... when you get bored easily and something like this comes along and punches you in the face, you know it’s something special.
It's in my Top 5. 2007 overall was a pretty great year for movies as this movie went H-2-H with another in my top 5: There Will Be Blood. Both deserved Best Picture, tbh.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Great summary, concur.

If it is as I say, it fits Tim’s you can’t escape personified death.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 11:07 AM
It's in my Top 5. 2007 overall was a pretty great year for movies as this movie went H-2-H with another in my top 5: There Will Be Blood. Both deserved Best Picture, tbh.

yeah I watch that also and I liked it I need to rewatch it.

I know I saw it on either Amazon or Netflix fairly recently

it would’ve been perfect during our storm

... shit I didn’t have electricity so much time, completely forgot. I guess that’s good.

TimDunkem
02-26-2021, 11:09 AM
The part where Llew could have smoked him while looking out his hotel room at the door and seeing Sugars feet cast as a shadow. Lew does not shoot, next thing Sugar plunks him with that damn cow air gun.

Fark that slayed me.

I hate bullies.
Excellent scene. This was one of the last movies to truly have me "on the edge of the seat". It's a perfect thriller. To me, the lack of any sort of music or soundtrack helped pull my attention in even further and set me up for that fucking jump scare with the lock. :lol Truly great filmmaking.

MultiTroll
02-26-2021, 11:38 AM
If it is as I say, it fits Tim’s you can’t escape personified death.
And yet, knowing his overconfidence got the best of him and he was going to die, he still tried to negotiate with Sugar.
"We can go down to the ATM, I've got 14K in the bank."

It was kind of sad. Not making fun of Carson for giving it a try. FFS he was looking at death and was going to give any effort he could think of.

pgardn
02-26-2021, 04:41 PM
The Cowboys showing humanity going back and getting water at the drug slaughter scene and then getting hunted down and punished along with his wife. He sat in bed contemplating it, sweating it and he went back anyway. Then others just randomly slayed. So he has calculated killing and then because the coin told him

And then death escapes random death and he walks away from that car crash and gives those kids money for a shirt tourniquet. This is not light cream.

I was also captivated by the way some of the characters fix themselves up after being shot. Weird. I don’t like blood and guts.