PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Daily Dime: Duncan "We Were Happy To See Them Go In The First Round"

duncan228
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071116

San Antonio Would Like Dallas To Go Away Now

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

DALLAS -- They've been dissed all over the NBA Nation. Dissed and dismissed as a team that has blown its best shot to win a championship.

The Dallas Mavericks?

The dissing has reached the point where the only reverence they seemingly generate any more, strangely, comes from a small group of prominent Texans who reside some 250 miles to the south.

The San Antonio Spurs would certainly prefer not to be the ones defending Dallas, but they couldn't help it Thursday night. They couldn't really deny that a 105-92 defeat to their longstanding rivals only reinforced the Mavs' status as the biggest matchup problem San Antonio has.

After watching Devin Harris shadow Tony Parker like no one else does and seeing Josh Howard (and others) punish the Spurs with his quickness -- before we even get to the trouble Dirk Nowitzki typically gave the visitors -- you dropped your suspicions that this is just PC talk. You tend to believe it when Tim Duncan says that San Antonio's high regard for Dallas hasn't been diminished one iota in the wake of the Mavs' historic first-round ouster by Golden State in the 2007 playoffs.

"No," Duncan said as the crowd around his locker began to disperse, asked if the Mavs have dipped in stature.

"We were happy to see them go in the first round."

Happy because Dallas, in San Antonio's estimation, is a team built to beat the Spurs. It's true that the platitudes tend to overflow when these teams get together because of the close bond between Gregg Popovich and his old point guard Avery Johnson, but don't mistake such sentiments for clichéd respect. The Spurs really do regard Johnson's Mavs as their toughest out in the West.

I know, I know: There's something confusing about touting the Mavs so strongly when they can be so fresh and quick against the team that has won three titles in the past five seasons and so creaky and unathletic against Golden State. Yet we saw it again in the space of a week. Dallas were shaky victors at best last Thursday in winning their first rematch with the Warriors -- even with Golden State missing suspended Mavs killer Stephen Jackson -- and then looked about as sharp as you can in November with the Spurs in town for another TNT game.

How sharp? Try eight steals in the first half alone with their faster hands, triggering runs of 17-1 and 11-0 that ultimately enabled Dallas to take a 19-point lead into halftime. Then in the fourth quarter, after Nowitzki was finally starting to look more like his MVP self for one of the first times this season, San Antonio overplayed him, refusing to let Nowitzki (16 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four blocks) beat them but thereby opening up the fourth quarter for a clinching 14-point flurry from Harris.

You'll never see a ton of urgency from the savvy Spurs before Thanksgiving, true, but Dallas' edge in this one wasn't mere intensity or desire. Nor was it Pop's famed reluctance to show his best defensive schemes to a team he expects to see in the playoffs, as illustrated on this night by Duncan guarding Nowitzki far more than he normally does.

The Spurs' problems start with Nowitzki's ability to shoot over smaller defenders or out-quick San Antonio's bigger ones. The Mavs likewise have DeSagana Diop and a healed-from-surgery Erick Dampier to throw at Duncan and whoever is playing alongside Duncan up front, since San Antonio still prefers to keep two traditionally sized big men on the floor together. They also have a new high-octane bench tandem (Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse) to counter Manu Ginobili and, perhaps most crucially, the rare ability to put someone on Parker from the same speed class.

Of course, even with all those attributes, it's worth remembering that the Mavs needed OT in their Game 7 breakthrough to finally win a series the Spurs, who are so consistently good that they win as often as Dallas does in the matchup that poses the biggest threat. But there's one more element of comfort for the Mavs here: "We definitely respect San Antonio," Stackhouse says, "but [not] as much as y'all do."

Right. Although their mental state will be routinely questioned until they win a championship of their own, confidence against the Spurs is the least of the Mavs' problems after Dallas famously won that Game 7 in San Antonio just 16 months ago.

The Mavs' problem, as described by Charles Barkley in Wednesday's Dallas Morning News, is that "they match up well with the Spurs but not with other teams." Golden State and, of greater concern, Phoenix come to mind.

"At both ends of the court, they're the most complete team in the league right now," Popovich insisted. "I just think it's hard to win a championship. [The Mavs have] learned that lesson as fully as anybody's ever learned it.

"They could have done it for the last two years. It just didn't work out. But just because it didn't happen doesn't mean that they're not the team that people thought they were."

mystargtr34
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
feed the trolls ..... feed them

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
WHen they take the court, the Spurs respect their opponents immensely. They know they can beat virtually any team in the league in a head-to-head matchup. I never worry about the Spurs confidence level against any other team in the league - except the Mavs. I just don't see that the Spurs have done enough to counter the various matchup issue brought by the Mavs. The game last night looked exactly like the series 2 years ago.

Findog
11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
The Mavs are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Duncan is scared. WE'RE DOOMED!!!

And the Mavs still generate reverence from anyone with a working knowledge of the game of basketball and the memory to realize that they were the last team to knock the Spurs out of the playoffs.

As tough as that first round exit had to have been for the Mavs and their fans, they could be witnessing the silver lining right now. No matter what the Mavs do this season that loss is going to keep them under a lot of media radars. It's not like the Spurs invented that routine, but they have certainly mastered and benefited from it. I shudder to think what happens when enough teams catch on to that. The first three months of the season will be unwatchable.

duncan228
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
feed the trolls ..... feed them

I'd rather be a Duncan/Spurs fan and post it than let the trolls find it and post it.

I don't make anything out of it other than it's the truth. Duncan was happy to see them go out. Why wouldn't he be? On one hand, you want to beat the best on your way to a Title, on the other hand, good riddence to any team you don't need to play. And if it's a team like the Mavs, who were built to beat you, I'd be happy to see them go too. I was.

ctpsb
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I am definitely concerned now. I know all the usual platitudes apply somewhat here. "It's early, it's one game." All of that is true but......

A 19 point deficit at half when we should've known to be prepared for them? There is just no excuse for that.

Losing 4 out of 5 and the one win when they were starting off slow last year and of course the 06 series.

As much as Dallas takes knocks (and deservedly so) for their pattern of failure the last few years this is becoming a pattern now as well and I think this article hits the nail on the head.

I'm disappointed Pop really did nothing about this matchup problem even before last year after this became obvious. No one is going to convince me that we couldn't sign an Udonis Haslem type that would join this Spurs team in a heartbeat solely to slow Dirk down. Maybe Udoke / Mahinmi is this player but since they weren't signed till this summer we won't know until later this year.

It just seems this team is in our heads.

I don't care that Devin Harris is one of the few fast players that is even close to TP's speed. If TP is the fastest player in the league then he should still win the race just not by as much. Also Harris isn't considered (is he?) a top 15 PG in the league so Tony needs to find other ways to play at an All-Star level when we play the Mavs.

Also other big men try to size up on Duncan (Yao for example) yet it seems only Sagana's size seems to bother Duncan.

This is what I mean, it just seems for whatever reason the Mavs are truly in the Spurs' heads (because of Avery?) and this article just reinforces that and I'm not really sure what we can do to rectify it.

I know I'm really going off here but this pattern of losing to the Mavs while crushing every other team in the league is really starting to be a problem.

1Parker1
11-16-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm getting a little tired of Spurs players and Pop praising the Mavs so much. It's starting to get out of hand. Especially when guys like Stackhouse for the Mavs are constantly coming out with statements that downplay the Spurs...i.e "We don't respect them as much as ya'll do." I mean is that really neccesary? And playing Dirk with 40 sec left in a blowout win against the Spurs...again is that neccesary?

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 12:46 PM
I am definitely concerned now. I know all the usual platitudes apply somewhat here. "It's early, it's one game." All of that is true but......

A 19 point deficit at half when we should've known to be prepared for them? There is just no excuse for that.

Losing 4 out of 5 and the one win when they were starting off slow last year and of course the 06 series.

As much as Dallas takes knocks (and deservedly so) for their pattern of failure the last few years this is becoming a pattern now as well and I think this article hits the nail on the head.

I'm disappointed Pop really did nothing about this matchup problem even before last year after this became obvious. No one is going to convince me that we couldn't sign an Udonis Haslem type that would join this Spurs team in a heartbeat solely to slow Dirk down. Maybe Udoke / Mahinmi is this player but since they weren't signed till this summer we won't know until later this year.

I don't care that Devin Harris is one of the few fast players that is even close to TP's speed. If TP is the fastest player in the league then he should still win the race just not by as much. Also Harris isn't considered (is he?) a top 15 PG in the league so Tony needs to find other ways to play at an All-Star level when we play the Mavs.

Also other big men try to size up on Duncan (Yao for example) yet it seems only Sagana's size seems to bother Duncan.

This is what I mean, it just seems for whatever reason the Mavs are truly in the Spurs' heads (because of Avery?) and this article just reinforces that and I'm not really sure what we can do to rectify it.

I know I'm really going off here but this pattern of losing to the Mavs while crushing every other team in the league is really starting to be a problem.

I definitely share your concern.

As much as the Warriors challenge the Mavs with their unique brand of athleticism and defense, the Mavs seemingly present the same challenge for the Spurs. Yet they matchup well because they can also play the Spurs at their specialty - half court offense.

While watching the game, I couldn't help but wonder how the matchups would even out if the Spurs had at least one or two younger, quicker, more athletic players in the mix. A player or two who could could truly get out and pressure their transition defense by scoring on the break, help rebound the basketball and help Bowen and Manu successfully defend Howard, Terry, Ager and Stackhouse of the perimeter.

It was obvious to me during that playoff series two years ago and it's obvious now that there isn't enough of Bowen to go around. He can't guard every perimeter player in a Mavs uniform. He needs help. At this point in their careers, Barry & Finley provide outside shooting only - not much else.

I just don't know if the Spurs have truly addressed the deficiencies that plagued them in the 2006 WCSF series versus the Mavs.

ancestron
11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Fuck the Mavs. When it comes to class and character they don't even compare to the Spurs, except for maybe Avery.
Kharma always bites them in the ass when they least expect it.

ctpsb
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
As much as the Warriors challenge the Mavs with their unique brand of athleticism and defense, the Mavs seemingly present the same challenge for the Spurs. Yet they matchup well because they can also play the Spurs at their specialty - half court offense.

While watching the game, I couldn't help but wonder how the matchups would even out if the Spurs had at least one or two younger, quicker, more athletic players in the mix. A player or two who could could truly get out and pressure their transition defense by scoring on the break, help rebound the basketball and help Bowen and Manu successfully defend Howard, Terry, Ager and Stackhouse of the perimeter.

It was obvious to me during that playoff series two years ago and it's obvious now that there isn't enough of Bowen to go around. He can't guard every perimeter player in a Mavs uniform. He needs help. At this point in their careers, Barry & Finley provide outside shooting only - not much else.

I just don't know if the Spurs have truly addressed the deficiencies that plagued them in the 2006 WCSF series versus the Mavs.

That is exactly right!! I thought we saw this coming after 06 by dropping Nesterovic and Muhammad to get more "athletic" because of Dallas then......nothing. Maybe Udoke but maybe too little too late? That is so true about Bowen. He can't guard everybody and I know you can't just get Bowen caliber players off the shelf but there are many players in the Udonic Haslem Stephen Jackson mode that would suffice that I'm sure would love to play with the Spurs!

TradeManu4Kobe
11-16-2007, 01:19 PM

I know I'm really going off here but this pattern of losing to the Mavs while crushing every other team in the league is really starting to be a problem.you are 100% correct. we are very lucky we dodged the mavs last year in the playoffs. they are designed to beat us and they've proven they can...if we meet them this year we are doomed
:cry

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 01:19 PM
That is exactly right!! I thought we saw this coming after 06 by dropping Nesterovic and Muhammad to get more "athletic" because of Dallas then......nothing. Maybe Udoke but maybe too little too late? That is so true about Bowen. He can't guard everybody and I know you can't just get Bowen caliber players off the shelf but there are many players in the Udonic Haslem Stephen Jackson mode that would suffice that I'm sure would love to play with the Spurs!

Funny how Pop and R.C. decided to get younger and quicker at the 5 spot, but not at the wing position. Over and over again, this deficiency shows against the Mavs. It's obvious the Spurs need better matchups on the wings.

Pop is a heckuva coach, but a stubborn coot. Methinks he wears blinders a bit too much when it comes to solving the question as to how to beat the Mavs.

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071116

San Antonio Would Like Dallas To Go Away Now

Mavs have dipped in stature.[/B]

"We were happy to see them go in the first round."

Happy because Dallas, in San Antonio's estimation, is a team built to beat the Spurs. It's true that the platitudes tend to overflow when these teams get together because of the close bond between Gregg Popovich and his old point guard Avery Johnson, but don't mistake such sentiments for clichéd respect. The Spurs really do regard Johnson's Mavs as their toughest out in the West.

I know, I know: There's something confusing about touting the Mavs so strongly when they can be so fresh and quick against the team that has won three titles in the past five seasons and so creaky and unathletic against Golden State. Yet we saw it again in the space of a week. Dallas were shaky victors at best last Thursday in winning their first rematch with the Warriors -- even with Golden State missing suspended Mavs killer Stephen Jackson -- and then looked about as sharp as you can in November with the Spurs in town for another TNT game.

Avery and the Mavs weren't too concerned about the Warriors during the regular season last year. In fact, the Mavs went 0-3 against them during the regular season. We all know what happened to the Mavs when they faced the Warriors in the playoffs.

You'll never see a ton of urgency from the savvy Spurs before Thanksgiving, true, but Dallas' edge in this one wasn't mere intensity or desire. Nor was it Pop's famed reluctance to show his best defensive schemes to a team he expects to see in the playoffs, as illustrated on this night by Duncan guarding Nowitzki far more than he normally does.

My bullshit alarm is suddenly going off. If Pop truly does implore that strategy, it's bullshit. How much did those mind games benefit the Spurs during the 2006 WCSF series? Pop was challenged with matchup disadvantages the entire series. He experimented with various possibilities - only to see them all fail miserably. I just don't think the Spurs have adequately addressed the deficiencies that are exposed when they play the Mavs.

Although their mental state will be routinely questioned until they win a championship of their own, confidence against the Spurs is the least of the Mavs' problems after Dallas famously won that Game 7 in San Antonio just 16 months ago.

The Spurs could have continued own the mnetal edge in this rivarlry. That is EXACTLY why I feared the long-standing consequences of losing that series versus the Mavs in '06. Not only did it intensify the rivalry, that infamous Game 7 loss allowed the Mavs to overcome the HUGE mental block they had previously when facing the Spurs. Up to that time, they had NEVER beaten the Spurs in a 7-game series.

The genie is out of the bottle now and the games haven't been the same since. Had the Spurs had taken care of business by ousting the Mavs themselves the previous year, there wouldn't have been such joy and private celebration from the Mavs loss to the Warriors last year.

At some point, you have to establish the fact that you CAN beat your opposition - regular season or playoffs. I've never been of the opinion that you should allow opposition to gain a level of confidence.

I don't care what anyone says, the Spurs now appear to be the team with the doubts in their minds.

The Mavs' problem, as described by Charles Barkley in Wednesday's Dallas Morning News, is that "they match up well with the Spurs but not with other teams." Golden State and, of greater concern, Phoenix come to mind.

"At both ends of the court, they're the most complete team in the league right now," Popovich insisted. "I just think it's hard to win a championship. [The Mavs have] learned that lesson as fully as anybody's ever learned it.

"They could have done it for the last two years. It just didn't work out. But just because it didn't happen doesn't mean that they're not the team that people thought they were."

The more I keep reading this article, the more disturbed I get. Respect your opponent - YES. Just dont continue to kiss their ass.

DubMcDub
11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Duncan is scared. WE'RE DOOMED!!!

And the Mavs still generate reverence from anyone with a working knowledge of the game of basketball and the memory to realize that they were the last team to knock the Spurs out of the playoffs.

As tough as that first round exit had to have been for the Mavs and their fans, they could be witnessing the silver lining right now. No matter what the Mavs do this season that loss is going to keep them under a lot of media radars. It's not like the Spurs invented that routine, but they have certainly mastered and benefited from it. I shudder to think what happens when enough teams catch on to that. The first three months of the season will be unwatchable.

This is a really impressive analysis. Props to you. I agree completely--this whole "playing the underdog" thing would kill the NBA if a bunch of teams started doing it.

easjer
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm not as concerned as some of you are. Yes, Dallas presents match up problems. Yes, they beat us in a series (oh, but what a series).

But what I remember from that series and primarily what I saw last night was that the Spurs were their own worst enemies. From lack of energy and aggression to piss poor ball handling skills - the Spurs are the ones who blew that game and Dallas took advantage. Props to them for doing so. But if the Spurs respond to the fouls being called and stop that - there is a bunch of points from the line right there. If they stop playing patty cake with the ball - there are fewer fast break points for the Mavs.

I saw the Spurs close the gap and be on the edge of getting back and then commit a stupid play - bad shot, bad foul, poor rotation, poor pass.

Duncan had an ok night - he was not at his best. Parker was abysmal. Both of them being off in the playoffs is unlikely. Udoka will be better set then, and we should have 2 defenders to spread the wealth. Horry will be around to bring some energy and grab some boards.

The Mavs are going to be a tough matchup, because they are intent on locking down the paint and have the length and speed to do it often. And we don't have an answer for Dirk (though I frankly feel we should answer everyone else and let Dirk go).

But I do not, for one second, believe that the Mavs are better than the Spurs. Particularly if the Spurs play as well as they are capable of playing.

duncan228
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Nicely said easjer.
I agree, the Spurs are their own worst enemies.
I'm not worried, I'm certain by March/April all the kinks will be worked out, they always are.
If we meet the Mavs in a 7 game series I know that Pop will have them prepared.

dimsah
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
If you're scared. Get a dog.

Dallas MFFL
11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Fuck the Mavs. When it comes to class and character they don't even compare to the Spurs, except for maybe Avery.
Kharma always bites them in the ass when they least expect it.

way to show how stupid and ignorant you are ancestron in making that statement.

Dallas MFFL
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
This is a really impressive analysis. Props to you. I agree completely--this whole "playing the underdog" thing would kill the NBA if a bunch of teams started doing it.

DubMcDub, funny you mention that, cause the way the MAVS reached the finals in 06 was the same way. Been underdog.

Dallas MFFL
11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not as concerned as some of you are. Yes, Dallas presents match up problems. Yes, they beat us in a series (oh, but what a series).

But what I remember from that series and primarily what I saw last night was that the Spurs were their own worst enemies. From lack of energy and aggression to piss poor ball handling skills - the Spurs are the ones who blew that game and Dallas took advantage. Props to them for doing so. But if the Spurs respond to the fouls being called and stop that - there is a bunch of points from the line right there. If they stop playing patty cake with the ball - there are fewer fast break points for the Mavs.

I saw the Spurs close the gap and be on the edge of getting back and then commit a stupid play - bad shot, bad foul, poor rotation, poor pass.

Duncan had an ok night - he was not at his best. Parker was abysmal. Both of them being off in the playoffs is unlikely. Udoka will be better set then, and we should have 2 defenders to spread the wealth. Horry will be around to bring some energy and grab some boards.

The Mavs are going to be a tough matchup, because they are intent on locking down the paint and have the length and speed to do it often. And we don't have an answer for Dirk (though I frankly feel we should answer everyone else and let Dirk go).

But I do not, for one second, believe that the Mavs are better than the Spurs. Particularly if the Spurs play as well as they are capable of playing.

Of course not, Hey easjer I have a piece of sky I would like to sell you. Call me!!!!

I guess you must have been watching a different game, turnovers don't happen on their own, some one creates them. Although I would agree with you on the lack of energy and enthusiasm in the 1st Quarter by the spurs, they did decide to play and when the SPURS decided and got within 10 points, how do you explain not catching up, or beating us if they are better.??
To say that the SPURS are better than the MAVS would be idiotic and ignorant. you have 2 teams that match up well and are equal to each other, with the only difference that SPURS are older. SPURS have beaten this season the teams that they are suppose to beat, and barely I might say but yet are 0-2 against the other texas team. hmm!!!!
Don't forget easjer, I have a big piece of blue sky i like to sell you!!!

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Recall that the Spurs penchant for turnovers also plagued them during the 2006 WCSF series versus the Mavs. At some point, you can't simply say the Spurs are simply their own worst enemies. You have to give the Mavs credit for causing those turnovers. For example, notice how anytime a Spurs player make a foray into the lane or even grabs a rebound, a Mavs player immediately starts swiping at the ball.

The Mavs won that game in the first quarter by playing relentless defense, shutting down the paint and causing that horde of turnovers that led to all those fast break points and transition baskets. The Spurs were appeared "clueless" in how to negate that advantage. They also were conspicously passive and slow to respond to the challenge.

That IS a reason to be concerned.

DubMcDub
11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Recall that the Spurs penchant for turnovers also plagued them during the 2006 WCSF series versus the Mavs. At some point, you can't simply say the Spurs are simply their own worst enemies. You have to give the Mavs credit for causing those turnovers. For example, notice how anytime a Spurs player forays into the lane of grabs a rebound, a Mavs player immediately starts swiping at the ball.

The Mavs won that game in the first quarter by playing relentless defense, shutting down the paint and causing that horde of turnovers that led to all those fast break points and transition baskets. The Spurs were appeared "clueless" in how to negate that advantage. They also were conspicously passive and slow to respond to the challenge.

That IS a reason to be concerned.

I agree with you. Generally, fans of a really good team of a sport tend to think that, whenever they lose, it's because of what their team didn't do instead of what the opposition did do.

And of course, that makes sense. People feel a bit vulnerable when their team loses and they want to think that the reasons for the loss were within the team's control. It's a lot more comforting to think that your team lost because it simply "didn't play to its potential" than to admit that the other team simply did some things that beat you.

Frankly, though, that approach is just a form of denial. I'd know, because all of us Mavs fans were in the same mode at the start of the playoffs last year. We were 0-3 against the Warriors because we "hadn't shot well" and "never found our rhythm". As it turns out, maybe the fact that the Warriors also have incredibly talented NBA level players had something to do witht hat.

easjer
11-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Of course not, Hey easjer I have a piece of sky I would like to sell you. Call me!!!!

I guess you must have been watching a different game, turnovers don't happen on their own, some one creates them. Although I would agree with you on the lack of energy and enthusiasm in the 1st Quarter by the spurs, they did decide to play and when the SPURS decided and got within 10 points, how do you explain not catching up, or beating us if they are better.??
To say that the SPURS are better than the MAVS would be idiotic and ignorant. you have 2 teams that match up well and are equal to each other, with the only difference that SPURS are older. SPURS have beaten this season the teams that they are suppose to beat, and barely I might say but yet are 0-2 against the other texas team. hmm!!!!
Don't forget easjer, I have a big piece of blue sky i like to sell you!!!

Hey asshole, I didn't say the Spurs were better. I just said the Mavs aren't better than the Spurs. They happen to be very evenly matched.

And yes, turnovers do happen by themselves, in that it is not always created by the other team. When Parker throws a pass to someone who isn't there, it's not because Harris or Terry made him, moron. It's a bad pass. Harris stole the ball a few times, but when it happens several times in a row in exactly the same way, I don't sit back and say, Damn that Harris kid is amazing so much as I say the Spurs are playing sloppy ball and not handling the ball the way they should.

I didn't say the Spurs are far superior - I said they sucked ass last night and Dallas definitely took advantage of that and I gave them props. I also admitted they aren't a good matchup for us.

Big fucking deal - we lost to the Mavs and Rockets. I never expected to win every game against them, and I'm happy enough to lose to good teams, because we are more likely to see them in the playoffs and they are more likely to expose our biggest weaknesses.

However, the biggest weakness last night and in the Rockets game was effort. It wasn't like the Spurs were out there playing flawless ball and had a ton of energy and heart and just got beat. They played like they didn't care and it showed. They were sloppy and nowhere near the shape that they are in at April or beyond. If they hadn't had those turnovers, they would have been in a competitive game. If they had responded to the fouls they were calling and stopped continuing to do the same things over and over again, it would have helped tremendously because Dallas wouldn't have been going to the line repeatedly. If they had played consistent defense, they could have improved their offense. If they had stopped the turnovers, they could have capitalized on the times they played good defense.

In short - while Dallas played very well, and I give them full credit, and acknowledge that I'd sooner not play them in May - I'm not fucking freaking out because I saw a lot of stuff that can (and needs to) be fixed that will solve a lot of the supposed matchup problems Dallas presents.

I don't think anyone can beat the Spurs when they play at the level they are capable of playing, but Dallas can give them a hard time. That's why this loss doesn't bother me, because it will help them reach that level of flawless play they are more than capable of achieving.