PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Back from a choke: Mavericks return as Spurs' biggest issue

Spurs Brazil
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA111607.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.2f71a2c.html

Buck Harvey: Back from a choke: Mavericks return as Spurs' biggest issue

Web Posted: 11/16/2007 12:38 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

DALLAS — Stephen Jackson said he talked to a few Spurs last summer, and Jackson said they thanked him for his help. Jackson's Golden State, after all, had eliminated the Mavericks.
"They know they have problems with Dallas," Jackson told reporters recently.

The Spurs know. They know the Mavericks can put size on Tim Duncan and speed on Tony Parker. They know, as it was both in 2006 and Thursday, the Mavericks also can shoot a little.

They know, too, the franchise with the best chance to stop a repeat isn't Houston or Phoenix or Boston.

It's the only one that has beaten them in the playoffs over the last three years.

A November night doesn't mean much in the NBA. If anything, the emotion in this 13-point Mavericks' win says a lot about the confusion in Dallas. The Mavericks, with built-up anger of the past two springs, reacted with the kind of energy the Spurs save for April.

This wasn't Avery Johnson's plan. He has said he wants to steal something else from Gregg Popovich, and that is Popovich's timing.

AJ was there in San Antonio when Popovich took over for Bob Hill, and AJ heard Popovich's announcement then. The Spurs, Popovich said, wouldn't be consumed with piling up wins anymore. They would use the regular season to get ready for the playoffs.

So instead of pushing the Mavericks as he did the last two seasons, AJ planned to relax. Those who know him wonder if this is possible. AJ is as driven as a coach as he was as a player, and his pride can get in the way. He hates to lose at any time.

Popovich, in contrast, holds down the minutes of his players as if, as he said Thursday, it is "money in the bank for playoff time."

He said he's kidded Duncan about that. "I told him I have wrecked his lifetime stats immensely."

His assistants say Popovich doesn't mind midseason losses because they tend to get everyone's attention. Popovich would rather stick with a base plan in the regular season and tweak it with every loss, and last year's Spurs were doing this deep into winter.

So did anyone think these Spurs were a finished product as they started 7-1? Those on the staff said before Thursday night's loss that the record was deceiving. Aside from a win in New Orleans, they haven't been close to what they will need to be.

Then came Thursday, when they weren't close to being competitive. Only at the end of the third quarter, when the Spurs forced the Mavericks into a 24-second violation, did the Spurs look like themselves.

At least Popovich got his wish. They will listen to him now.

As for AJ and his pledge to pull his foot off the pedal: Three Mavericks played about 37 minutes, and Dirk Nowitzki, even in a blowout, was on the floor until about 40 seconds were left.

At least the Mavericks had an excuse. They had some issues to work out. Their collapse in the 2006 Finals was nearly as historic as last year's failure against Jackson's Warriors.

Jackson said Manu Ginobili was among the Spurs who thanked him last summer, and Ginobili denies saying exactly that. "I just told him I enjoyed watching the series," Ginobili said.

Popovich repeated that. Asked Thursday night if he gave a sigh of relief after the Mavericks lost, Popovich said, "I don't remember thinking that way."

Popovich was busy at the time. The Denver first-round series was sticky and, besides, the Spurs were in no place to worry about the third round. They had Phoenix next.

Still, nearly everyone in San Antonio and Phoenix saw Golden State's upset for what it was — an opening. A 67-win team was gone.

Popovich still calls the Mavericks "arguably the best team in the league," but they are more than that to San Antonio. They are built to match up with the Spurs.

They play defense, and they have size. And whereas Golden State had athletes who could take advantage of what Nowitzki can't do, the Spurs don't.

Thursday reaffirmed that, as well as something else.

If they haven't already, they should thank Jackson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

island_dude
11-16-2007, 02:23 PM
A November night doesn't mean much in the NBA. If anything, the emotion in this 13-point Mavericks' win says a lot about the confusion in Dallas. The Mavericks, with built-up anger of the past two springs, reacted with the kind of energy the Spurs save for April.

I don't recall seeing anyone for Dallas over celebrating after last nights game.

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Hell, it's these kind of moments that I wish Stephen Jackson were still a member of the Spurs.

E20
11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Hell, it's these kind of moments that I wish Stephen Jackson were still a member of the Spurs.
I've always wondered how the Spurs would be with SJax on the team. SHIT Jax should have accepted what the Spurs offered him. I guess Jax wants his pay and PPG. I wish he could still make love to pressure while playing for the Spurs. :lol

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I've always wondered how the Spurs would be with SJax on the team. SHIT Jax should have accepted what the Spurs offered him. I guess Jax wants his pay and PPG. I wish he could still make love to pressure while playing for the Spurs. :lol

Jax and Manu both gave the Spurs that cold-blooded assasin that would strike quickly and snuff out momentum from the other team.

Holt's Cat
11-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Maybe the Warriors struggle this season and Jack ends up on the block. I've always wanted him back in SA, regardless of matchups.

The Spurs will need to find a new swingman or two fairly soon. Jack would be a nice fit.

SenorSpur
11-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Maybe the Warriors struggle this season and Jack ends up on the block. I've always wanted him back in SA, regardless of matchups.

The Spurs will need to find a new swingman or two fairly soon. Jack would be a nice fit.

Question for the masses.

Right now who would you rather have Finley or SJax? Easy question, huh?

ManuTastic
11-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Question for the masses.

No shit.

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
He was and is one of my all-time favorite Spur (Stephen Jackson). I loved his emotion on the court. He has done some stupid things, but love him when he is on the court. The only player on the Spurs roster that comes close to his passion is Manu.

S_A_Longhorn
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Mike Brown kept Jax in line. No Brown, no JAX for me.

703 Spurz
11-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Question for the masses.

Jackson by a landslide

remingtonbo2001
11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I'd take Finley.

Lets look at SJAX when he's 33,34 and see how he's playing then.

Is it just me or does it seem there are more spoiled Spurs Fans than ever this season?

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd take Finley.

Lets look at SJAX when he's 33,34 and see how he's playing then.

Is it just me or does it seem there are more spoiled Spurs Fans than ever this season?

Finley was very good in his prime when he was a Maverick. Jackson is very good right now. So right now, I would take Jackson over Finley.

remingtonbo2001
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I love SJAX. But I think Finley will be of great value come Feburary.

This is just a feeling. So go ahead and book it.

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I love SJAX. But I think Finley will be of great value come Feburary.

This is just a feeling. So go ahead and book it.

Will do.

hitmanyr2k
11-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Stephen Jackson was a human turnover machine when he was with the Spurs lol. Everytime the guy put the ball on the floor he would do something stupid. He's nothing more than a streak shooter...just like Finley.