PDA

View Full Version : Rockets-Spurs Preview

duncan228
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Moving on...

http://www.nba.com/games/20071116/HOUSAS/preview.html

Rockets-Spurs Preview
By ANTHONY GIORNALISTA, STATS Senior Writer

Houston beat the San Antonio Spurs last week without a big scoring game from Tracy McGrady. Now, the Rockets will have to find a way to top their Southwest Division rivals without any points from their star swingman.

With McGrady nursing a strained right elbow, the Rockets look to continue their recent success against the Spurs when the teams continue their season series Friday night.

Houston handed San Antonio its first loss of the season on Nov. 6, winning 89-81 despite getting what had been a season-low 12 points from McGrady.

The only game McGrady has scored fewer points in was a 93-90 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night. The seven-time All-Star had nine points in 19 minutes before hurting his elbow late in the first half, and the injury is expected to keep him sidelined for about a week.

"It's definitely good news," said McGrady, who was leading the NBA with 29.0 points per game before Wednesday's game. "I actually thought it could have been a lot worse than it was."

McGrady's scoring has been crucial for Houston (6-3), which was leaning on its star as it continues to adjust to Rick Adelman's offense. McGrady will likely be replaced by Bonzi Wells, who had 21 points and 10 rebounds in a season-high 40 minutes against the Lakers.

Wells had 14 points and 15 rebounds off the bench in this season's first matchup with San Antonio (7-2), helping Houston win for the third time in four games against its division rivals following a seven-game losing streak against them.

No team has reached 100 points in this series since the Spurs beat the Rockets 102-78 on April 4, 2002.

San Antonio, however, gave up 100 points for just the second time this season Thursday night, losing 105-92 to Dallas as its four-game winning streak ended. The only other time the Spurs allowed 100 points was in a 104-101 over Memphis on Oct. 31.

San Antonio allowed 33 points in the first quarter and 59 in the first half against Dallas, its worst marks in any quarter and any half this season.

"We had a terrible first quarter," said San Antonio guard Tony Parker, who scored a season-low seven points on 1-of-11 shooting. "We dug ourselves a hole and we couldn't recover. We gave them too many easy shots."

A bright spot for the Spurs was Tim Duncan's bounce-back game. Coming off a five-point, 2-for-13 performance in a win over the Lakers, Duncan scored 24 points on 11-of-21 shooting against the Mavericks.

Duncan left with 3:42 to go after landing awkwardly on his left knee, but that was likely precautionary.

"I'll be fine (Friday)," he said.

Duncan was held to 14 points on 5-for-15 shooting in this season's first matchup with the Rockets. He will likely be matched up again in the paint with Houston's Yao Ming for much of this game, helping third-year center Fabricio Oberto.

Yao had 28 points, 13 rebounds, six assists and three blocks last week against San Antonio. It was his best scoring effort against the Spurs, and he will be expected to carry the load again Friday with McGrady out.

duncan228
11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Another one...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nba/news/ACN4112953.htm

Rockets, Spurs go at it again in San Antonio

(Sports Network) - Southwest Division rivals meet for the second time this season, as the Houston Rockets visit the defending world champion San Antonio Spurs at the AT&T Center.

On November 6th, All-Star center Yao Ming poured in a game-high 28 points and pulled down 13 rebounds to lead the Rockets past the Spurs, 89-81, at the Toyota Center.

Houston has won three of the last four contests in this series. The Rockets have also won two straight after losing their last 17 at San Antonio.

The Rockets enter tonight's contest on a two-game losing streak. On Wednesday, superstar Kobe Bryant led all scorers with 30 points and the Los Angeles Lakers held off the Rockets in the final minutes to win, 93-90, at the Toyota Center.

Rockets All-Star guard Tracy McGrady left in the first half against the Lakers with an elbow injury. McGrady, who has been diagnosed with a sprained right elbow and nerve irritation, is listed as day-to-day with the injury.

Yao scored 26 points and grabbed 13 boards in the loss for Houston, while Bonzi Wells came off the bench to score 21 points and grab 10 boards.

Houston is 3-2 on the road this season. The Rockets return home to host the Phoenix Suns on Saturday and the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday at the Toyota Center.

San Antonio tries to get back on the winning track this evening. Josh Howard scored 23 points and Devin Harris poured in 18 points to lift the Dallas Mavericks over the Spurs, 105-92, at American Airlines Center.

Manu Ginobili scored a team-high 25 points in the loss for the Spurs, who had a four-game winning streak halted. Tim Duncan finished with 24 points and five rebounds in defeat, while Tony Parker was just 1-for-11 from the field and ended with seven points and eight assists.

The Spurs are 5-0 at home this season. They will visit the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday at Philips Arena.

1Parker1
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Eh, I think this could be a 10+ point win for the Spurs. If McGrady was playing then I would've guessed it'd be tough one.

I think Parker will go off tonight. He usually doesn't have 2 bad nights in a row. Let's just hope he recovers from whatever ailment it was that seemed to be bothering him yesterday. Weird that there was no mention of it or no reported asked the Spurs. It was pretty obvious from the tv that he was sick or something was up....

ancestron
11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Watch Bonzi drop 40 on us tonight.

duncan228
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Parker didn't look right, I haven't seen anything on it.

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Bonzi Wells is a Spurs killer. The Spurs need to do a better job on him defensively.

E20
11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Watch Bonzi drop 40 on us tonight.
I hope so, I'm doing something risky by starting him tonight on my fantasy team.

boutons_
11-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Tony, espcially, and 4 other starters need to bounce back from last night and play hard ball. Manu tries, but he can't carry the team.

MoSpur
11-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I want to see Finley step it up. If he doesn't, Pop needs to insert someone who will. He's already catering to Finley by starting him.

TradeManu4Kobe
11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
We Can"t Lose This Game!

samikeyp
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
We Can"t Lose This Game!

What does it matter...according to you, "we" aren't winning a championship anyway.

romain.star
11-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Manu tries, but he can't carry the team.

i wish he could... that's what a MVP contender is all about...

duncan228
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Hoopsworld (I know) chimes in.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/TheWireStory.asp?id=6568

Spurs look bounce back against shorthanded Rockets

Houston (6-3) at San Antonio (7-1) 8:00 pm EST

SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) - The San Antonio Spurs were uncharacteristically porous on defense in their loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday. They figure to bounce back a day later against the Houston Rockets, especially if Tracy McGrady is not around.

The Spurs look rebound from their loss to the Mavericks when they return home Friday to host the Rockets, who likely will be without McGrady.

One of the NBA's top defensive teams for the last decade, San Antonio looked lost defensively in the first half of Thursday's 105-92 loss at Dallas.

In allowing over 100 points for just the second time this campaign, the Spurs allowed season-highs of 59 points in the first half and 33 points in the opening quarter.

Tim Duncan scored 24 points for the Spurs, who had their four-game winning streak snapped and lost for just the second time this season.

San Antonio's other loss was an 89-81 setback November 6 at Houston, a game in which McGrady scored just 12 points on 4-of-14 shooting. The reigning NBA champion Spurs had trouble containing Houston's All-Star center Yao Ming, who had 28 points and 13 rebounds in the contest.

Yao likely will need to have another big performance Friday without McGrady, who is nursing a sprained elbow and is listed as day-to-day. The NBA's third-leading scorer, McGrady will be sidelined up to a week, according to various reports.

McGrady suffered the injury during Wednesday night's 93-90 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. The seven-time All-Star underwent an MRI which revealed no tendon or ligament damage.

The Rockets have won three of their last four meetings with the Spurs.

TradeManu4Kobe
11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
What does it matter...according to you, "we" aren't winning a championship anyway.we wont win if we keep playing like we are.

Manu tries, but he can't carry the team.this is why the spurs need to make a push for kobe

duncan228
11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
this is why the spurs need to make a push for kobe

No matter what you think of Kobe, if you're any kind of Spurs fan you have to know he wouldn't fit in this locker room.

TradeManu4Kobe
11-17-2007, 02:05 PM
No matter what you think of Kobe, if you're any kind of Spurs fan you have to know he wouldn't fit in this locker room.you don't think kobe has learned anything since the shaq thing? he was younger then, he's moved on..he knows he needs a great team, he wants to win. we'd be unstoppable with kobe, there would be no drama if we are busy destroying the league.

you guys need to stop acting like kobe isn't the best player in the nba. look i like manu but kobe is 10x the player manu could ever be. for the better of the team i say let manu go.

TradeParker4Nash
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
you don't think kobe has learned anything since the shaq thing? he was younger then, he's moved on..he knows he needs a great team, he wants to win. we'd be unstoppable with kobe, there would be no drama if we are busy destroying the league.

you guys need to stop acting like kobe isn't the best player in the nba. look i like manu but kobe is 10x the player manu could ever be. for the better of the team i say let manu go.
Completely agree. :tu

duncan228
11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
you don't think kobe has learned anything since the shaq thing? he was younger then, he's moved on..he knows he needs a great team, he wants to win. we'd be unstoppable with kobe, there would be no drama if we are busy destroying the league.

Sorry, I don't agree.

Kobe may be the best offensive player in the game but his defense is lacking. He seems to be better this season, after his experience with Team USA this summer, but he's not the best defensive player in the game. I can't call him the best player in the game when I find his defense lacking.
(I'm not saying Manu is better or worse than Kobe, I'm just talking about Kobe.)

Kobe may have moved on from the Shaq divorce, but his behavior last spring showed me he hasn't grown up quite yet. He may be moving in the right direction but he's got a ways to go.

This is Duncan's team. Kobe's ego won't fit in this system. Every player on the Spurs checks his ego at the door. I'm not convinced Kobe could do that.

TradeParker4Nash
11-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I don't agree.

Kobe may be the best offensive player in the game but his defense is lacking. He seems to be better this season, after his experience with Team USA this summer, but he's not the best defensive player in the game. I can't call him the best player in the game when I find his defense lacking.
(I'm not saying Manu is better or worse than Kobe, I'm just talking about Kobe.)

Kobe may have moved on from the Shaq divorce, but his behavior last spring showed me he hasn't grown up quite yet. He may be moving in the right direction but he's got a ways to go.

This is Duncan's team. Kobe's ego won't fit in this system. Every player on the Spurs checks his ego at the door. I'm not convinced Kobe could do that.
Completely disagree. :td