PDA

View Full Version : Reggie: I'm Finishing My Career In Indy

Pooh
08-21-2003, 05:09 PM
By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
August 21, 2003

After signing a new two-year contract with the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday, Reggie Miller said with certainty that it's the last NBA contract he'll sign.

"I can't see myself playing after this contract," said Miller, who has spent his entire 16-year career with the franchise. "That's why it was somewhat hair-raising coming up with a deal."

The particulars of the deal were not made public, although The Star learned the contract's length late Wednesday.

Miller turns 38 Sunday.

"I know I get to finish my career here," Miller said. "I get to finish my career here. I'll be a lifetime Pacer."

Miller took a not-so-veiled swipe at veterans Karl Malone and Gary Payton -- who signed free-agent contracts with the Los Angeles Lakers -- by saying loyalty was the biggest factor in re-signing with the Pacers.

"I always knew I was coming back," said Miller, the franchise's all-time leading scorer. "I didn't want to be like some of these other guys to jump on another team's bandwagon just to get a ring. That's never been my style.

"And I think I've learned to be patient, trust in Donnie (Walsh) and obviously trust in Arn (Tellem, Miller's agent), and I knew they would come up with some type of agreement where both sides could be happy."

There were other teams interested, including the Pacers' Eastern Conference rival New Jersey Nets.

"I know New Jersey wanted him," Walsh said. "He could have gone to the Lakers. But he wants to win a championship here."

Miller said loyalty has always been his best quality.

"I remember coming in here as a snot-nosed rookie, skinnier than I am now, and having to prove myself to the great fans of Indiana," said the five-time NBA All-Star. "It's been a two-way street and they've seen me grow from a young boy into a young man. It's rare, especially in today's professional sports, to be able to finish where you start."

Miller missed the first 12 games last season because of a right ankle injury that required surgery in May. His rehabilitation is going according to plan, and he expects to be ready for the regular-season opener Oct. 29. He passed his physical Wednesday, which is required before players can sign a contract.

pacers4ever
08-21-2003, 08:09 PM
I can't imagine the Pacers without REGGIE, and his 3s!

This year should be very different from last year for him. The injury should be gone, and we're expecting the old Reggie to be back and to knock them down 3s!!!

Having someone loyal like him on the Pacers' roster, makes us the fans, believe even more in the team!

Good Luck Isiah, no more messing around..do or break, win or lose situation!

Pooh
08-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I don't know if this year is a make or break year. Depends mainly on how quickly the team gells together. But for sure the next would be.

Don't be shocked if Bird pulls the trigger on Isiah by December, should the team get off to a slow start.