PDA

View Full Version : Oden's muscle gain worries coach McMillian

tlongII
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3115030

PHILADELPHIA -- Greg Oden might be too pumped up for his eventual NBA debut.

Oden is doing what most people with too much idle time tend to do: gain weight. Only Oden is bulking up instead of fattening up and the No. 1 overall pick may be too buff, too fast.

"We don't want him to get bigger. That's going to come,'' Portland coach Nate McMillan said on Friday night. "It's very easy for him to put a lot of weight on having a year off. We've really got to be careful about the weight training with him.''

Oden, who will miss this season after he had knee surgery, was in the weight room Friday night before the Trail Blazers played the Philadelphia 76ers, sculpting his upper body. The 7-footer looked chiseled and has gained nearly 30 pounds of muscle -- all in the upper body -- since he was drafted. He is up to 280 pounds.

That's too much weight to carry on a surgically repaired knee and McMillan is mildly concerned.

"I would much rather have him be wiry strong than bulky, especially coming off a surgery,'' McMillan said. "When you're talking about putting on extra weight and having to carry that weight on a surgically repaired leg, that's not good. We want to be really careful with the weight training with him.''

Oden, who only recently shed his crutches, can't run and is limited to cardio work or pumping iron. McMillan said the change in the physique has been noticeable and wants Oden to back off just a bit and work more on being toned than having his muscles pop out of his suit.

McMillan envisions a build more like David Robinson or Alonzo Mourning than a Karl Malone.

"We want him to be quick and athletic as opposed to bulky and big,'' McMillan said.

Oden, who averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds last season as a freshman at Ohio State, is traveling with the Trail Blazers so he can get a feel for the grind of the NBA season. McMillan said Oden's rehabilitation is going well and he should be set for next year

"I think he understands where he's at and everything that goes along with that,'' McMillan said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

E20
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Damn...............that's bad ass.....30 lbs of muscle? KFC every night for Oden.

Jason_Terry
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
No, it's called steroids. Nobody naturally puts on 30 pounds of muscle that fast. He must have been hanging out with Barry Bonds.

spurscenter
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3115030

PHILADELPHIA -- Greg Oden might be too pumped up for his eventual NBA debut.

Oden is doing what most people with too much idle time tend to do: gain weight. Only Oden is bulking up instead of fattening up and the No. 1 overall pick may be too buff, too fast.

"We don't want him to get bigger. That's going to come,'' Portland coach Nate McMillan said on Friday night. "It's very easy for him to put a lot of weight on having a year off. We've really got to be careful about the weight training with him.''

Oden, who will miss this season after he had knee surgery, was in the weight room Friday night before the Trail Blazers played the Philadelphia 76ers, sculpting his upper body. The 7-footer looked chiseled and has gained nearly 30 pounds of muscle -- all in the upper body -- since he was drafted. He is up to 280 pounds.

That's too much weight to carry on a surgically repaired knee and McMillan is mildly concerned.

"I would much rather have him be wiry strong than bulky, especially coming off a surgery,'' McMillan said. "When you're talking about putting on extra weight and having to carry that weight on a surgically repaired leg, that's not good. We want to be really careful with the weight training with him.''

Oden, who only recently shed his crutches, can't run and is limited to cardio work or pumping iron. McMillan said the change in the physique has been noticeable and wants Oden to back off just a bit and work more on being toned than having his muscles pop out of his suit.

McMillan envisions a build more like David Robinson or Alonzo Mourning than a Karl Malone.

"We want him to be quick and athletic as opposed to bulky and big,'' McMillan said.

Oden, who averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds last season as a freshman at Ohio State, is traveling with the Trail Blazers so he can get a feel for the grind of the NBA season. McMillan said Oden's rehabilitation is going well and he should be set for next year

"I think he understands where he's at and everything that goes along with that,'' McMillan said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

the way mcmillian talks about oden

its like oden is a slave.

its his body but they paying him . weird. huh

Nikos
11-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Its not 'really' 30 pounds of muscle. Its probably 5-10 pounds of muscle at best, the rest is fat. No one can gain 30 pounds of muscle in a couple of months, not even the most genetically gifted.

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
everybody wishes they had a body like drob!!!!

ChumpDumper
11-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Just stay in the pool, then get on the bike later, then hit the weights again even later. You've got a damn year. I guess when you're 35 you want to get back in the game quicker.

Walter Craparita
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
everybody wishes they had a body like drob!!!!

The inevitable statue they construct of DRob will STILL hit the gym every night between 5 and 7 just to get as chiseled as The Real Admiral.

MajicMan
11-17-2007, 02:54 AM
They said he had the same body fat percentage of 7.5 or something like that. This is the NBA folks. C'mon...........

mystargtr34
11-17-2007, 09:33 AM
LOL at 30 pounds of muscle...

I would be surprised if he put on 5 pounds of real muscle

TDMVPDPOY
11-17-2007, 09:38 AM
he still looks fuckn 50 yrs old to me

ShaqDynasty
11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Greg Oden's muscles are fluke muscles. They will be gone by next season and I will continue to dunk real dunks that I'm supposed to dunk. All of Greg Oden's dunks will be lucky fluke dunks that were just lucky bounces.

Spawn
11-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Greg Oden's muscles are fluke muscles. They will be gone by next season and I will continue to dunk real dunks that I'm supposed to dunk. All of Greg Oden's dunks will be lucky fluke dunks that were just lucky bounces.

Fluke muscles?

anakha
11-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Fluke muscles?

Welcome to the wonderful world of -dynasty. :spin

leroyjenkins
11-17-2007, 10:25 PM
oden should share his weight gaining technique with durant

remingtonbo2001
11-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Just stay in the pool, then get on the bike later, then hit the weights again even later. You've got a damn year. I guess when you're 35 you want to get back in the game quicker.

I would be living in the pool for the first 6 months.

I can understand why he would want to bulk up, but he does need to be extremely careful.

I'm not surprised by him gaining 30lbs. He's only 19, and wasn't particularly filled out when he came in.

TampaDude
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
oden should share his weight gaining technique with durant

Durant should share his not suffering a season-ending injury technique with Oden. :lol

DarkReign
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM

:lmao