PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Rockets - Nov. 16

timvp
11-17-2007, 12:03 AM
-First of all, I have to give props to the Rockets. They were very physical and played really hard. Even though they were shorthanded without Tracy McGrady, they did all they could to come away with a victory.

I was really impressed with Luis Scola. Not only was he on fire with the midrange jumper, he was the Rockets’ best defender on Tim Duncan. Supposedly Scola didn’t have a face up jumper and was a horrible defender. He did a good job of dispelling both of those myths today. His post defense was really good for a player of his size and his team defense was impressive as I counted at least three charges he drew. The Rockets got a steal in that trade, especially considering that history tells us that an Argentinean like Scola is going to massively improve as he further adapts to the NBA game.

On top of that, the Rockets gimmick defense isn't going to work in the playoffs. They were hugging the three-point shooters all night. You give Duncan that much room in the playoffs and he'll destroy you. The Spurs have never lost a playoff series in which the other team dared Duncan to beat them. Duncan just beat them.

--After the Spurs game against the Rockets on November 6th

-Tim Duncan showed why you can’t beat the Spurs in a series if you use single coverage on him. The Rockets used the same gimmick man-to-man-and-hug-the-shooters defense that they used the first time against the Spurs. Duncan responded with 20 points and eight rebounds in the first half. Adelman was forced to switch up his defense for the second half. I was impressed with Duncan’s effort and his all-around performance. After a couple of off games, it was good to see Duncan back on the saddle.

-Manu Ginobili had another near triple-double. In 29 minutes, he finished with 19 points, nine rebounds, seven assists, one steal and one block. That’s the kind of varied yet dominant performance we’ve come to expect out of Ginobili this season. He did have six turnovers and hit only 5-of-14 shots from the field but I liked his overall competitiveness out there. His clutch shut over Yao Ming at the end of the game was the icing on the cake. Also of note was his team leading +/- of +16.

-I was happy that Tony Parker stayed aggressive this game with his shot. After not making a basket from 18-feet out all night long and missing both of his free throws, Parker tossed in two jumpers and both of his free throws in the final couple of minutes. Parker’s willingness to take and make those big shots is a big part of the Spurs being a championship level team. If teams can leave Parker open at the end of games, that’s a huge negative for the Spurs. Overall, Parker was poor for the first 45 minutes of the game but redeemed himself a bit when it mattered most.

-Bruce Bowen again proves why he’s the best perimeter defender in the NBA. Bonzi Wells has tortured the Spurs many times in the past, including earlier this season. However, with McGrady out injured, Bowen was able to concentrate his efforts on Wells and thoroughly dominated him. Wells finished with four points and two rebounds on 1-for-9 shooting from the field. Perhaps the other Spurs defenders can see how Bowen guarded Wells so that when Bowen has to defend McGrady in the future, the other Spurs won’t let Wells go buck wild.

-Major props to Michael Finley for his performance. I was hard on him after last game but he produced one of his best outings of his Spurs career. He finished with 17 points, five assists, four rebounds, one steal and no turnovers in 31 minutes of action. Finley also went 7-for-8 from the field. When Finley is playing well, he makes the Spurs really tough to beat. And while his shooting stands out, I was more impressed with his passing. He had more good passes tonight than he had all season coming into this game. Hopefully this is a start of a good stretch of basketball from Finley.

-Fabricio Oberto quietly might have been the player of the game for the Spurs. His defense on Yao all game long was spectacular. Usually against the Rockets, I wish the Spurs had Rasho Nesterovic to throw at Yao. But Oberto gave his all and really made Yao fight for every inch. Oberto tends to sleepwalk in the regular season but he was wide awake tonight.

-It was another impressive out from Brent Barry. He played well against the Mavericks last night and tonight he was right back at it against the Rockets. He didn’t play as well as he did against the Mavs because he hesitated a couple times and missed a wide open three-pointer late that would have made the game much easier, but it was still a positive game from Barry. He’s definitely earned a spot somewhere in the rotation.

-Matt Bonner has to be making the Spurs think about whether they made the right move by trading away Scola. While he was on the court, the only thing he did of note was turn the ball over. He didn’t score and didn’t grab a rebound, while on the other end Scola was playing flawlessly. Considering that Bonner got a larger contract than Scola, the Spurs front office has to be second guessing themselves right about now. Bonner was good early in the season but he’s been pretty horrible for the last couple weeks. Scola showing a perimeter jumper and better defensive skills than Bonner has ever shown isn’t a good combination.

-Francisco Elson looked like an improved player early in the season. As of late, Elson has looked like the same old Elson from last year. If he’s not making bad defensive rotations, he’s fumbling the ball out of bounds. He had some moments of competence this game but overall, it was another underwhelming performance.

-Jacque Vaughn was out on the court for 15 minutes and did nothing other than miss two shots. One of those shots was a bad shot early in the possession. However, when it comes to Vaughn, less is more. If you see an empty stat line, that means Vaughn is doing his job. Vaughn is best when he plays defense and then on offense gives the ball to someone else (usually Ginobili) and just gets out of the way.

-Pop coached a pretty good game. It was obvious he wanted this game a bit more than usual during the regular season. Against the Mavs Pop was coaching like he didn’t care. This game he coached to win. Near the end of the game, he made Ginobili the main ballhandler, which proved to be a good move. Ginobili being guarded by anyone on the Rockets is a matchup you want to exploit and Pop exploited it. Pop also did a good job of having the team force feed Duncan to get Adelman out of his gimmick defense. Overall, it was a bit of an ugly win and the Spurs were far from perfect on offense or defense. But these are the type of close, physical battles that helps a team prepare for the playoffs.

remingtonbo2001
11-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm really surprised we came out with as much energy as we did tonight.

We're usually winded on the 2nd game of a back to back.

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:15 AM
-Matt Bonner has to be making the Spurs think about whether they made the right move by trading away Scola. .

He's making me think that too...I know they are both chokers...but Bonner takes it to a whole new level. The slightest bit of pressure and he becomes a headcase...Mengke Bateer had more poise. I know he's a nice guy...but he can go be a nice choking guy on someone else's team...I'll still like him...in fact I'll like him even more if he does it for the Mavs :tu

I hate Francisco Elson

No! Really?

timvp
11-17-2007, 12:18 AM
He's making me think that too...I know they are both chokers...but Bonner takes it to a whole new level. The slightest bit of pressure and he becomes a headcase...Mengke Bateer had more poise. I know he's a nice guy...but he can go be a nice choking guy on someone else's team...I'll still like him...in fact I'll like him even more if he does it for the Mavs :tuFor the same money, would you rather have Matt Bonner or Luis Scola on this team?

I didn't watch the game. But I can tell you that Barry played point guard until late in the fourth.

Really?

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:20 AM
We had to get rid of Jackie Butler to sign anybody. We had to trade Scola to get rid of Jackie Butler.

I'm not closing the book on any player on November 14.

That said, good for Scola. He'll have nights like this.

timvp
11-17-2007, 12:20 AM
We had to get rid of Jackie Butler to sign anybody. We had to trade Scola to get rid of Jackie Butler.

I'm not closing the book on any player on November 14.For the same money, would you rather have Luis Scola or Matt Bonner?

Thanks.

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:21 AM
For the same money, would you rather have Matt Bonner or Luis Scola on this team?

Cap Space owns both of them.

I'm still on the fence...I tend to like Bonner better, but I might have to reconsider if Bonner keeps this crap up. Scola may choke but at least he doesn't become a headcase in midgame while doing it...that's a whole new level of choke on Bonner's part....right now it's like a choice of gonorreah or crabs...I'm not running to get either of them.

One good game by Scola...if you are make a huge ordeal about it...just be sure to show up when he sucks...

timvp
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
We had to get rid of Jackie Butler to sign anybody.Oh and money-wise, Bonner > Scola + Butler.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
If he is going to shoot 10-11 every night, definitely Scola.

You're welcome.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Oh and money-wise, Bonner > Scola + Butler.We had to get rid of Butler.

So did Houston.

timvp
11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
One good game by Scola...if you are make a huge ordeal about it...just be sure to show up when he sucks...Scola's near flawless shooting was mostly luck but the fact that he has an outside shot and is a pretty good defender shows how off a lot of opinions in here were of Scola's game. Scola played better defense in this game than Bonner has in any game of his whole Spurs career.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:25 AM
We're doomed.

timvp
If he is going to shoot 10-11 every night, definitely Scola.

You're welcome.Let me try again. All thing being equal, would you want Scola or Bonner for the next three years?

Thanks.

freemeat

I'm not closing the book on any player on November 14.

That said, good for Scola. He'll have nights like this.

:clap

First time I've ever quoted someone and applauded their comment.

I couldn't have said it better.

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Scola's near flawless shooting was mostly luck but the fact that he has an outside shot

So does Bonner...

The Spurs were testing Scola's shot out you know...seeing what he had. He still wasn't any kind of a great inside scoring presence.

and is a pretty good defender shows how off a lot of opinions in here were of Scola's game.

LMAO, including yours.

He's not a great defender...he was pumped up. Sure he can have his moments...as he did in 02 when he got a few blocks off, but he's not the defender Oberto is.

Scola played better defense in this game than Bonner has in any game of his whole Spurs career.

That's not saying much...

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Wake me when Scola goes 11-11 :smokin

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Let me try again. All thing being equal, would you want Scola or Bonner for the next three years?

Thanks.I don't know, one good game doesn't make a career for me. Nothing I saw tonight changed my mind about Scola. If he goes for 20 and 4 every night when TMac is also playing, definitely. If Scola plays like he has up to tonight -- Bonner.

Would you want Scola or Bonner for the next three years?

Thanks.

Rick Von Braun
11-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Great recap timvp.

I still think the Spurs made a blunder with Scola. Even if Scola ends up being a bust --which I highly doubt it--, his perceived value at the time of the trade was much higher that basically the "nothing" that the Spurs got in return. The fact that Scola earns less money than Bonner is just horrendous!

I actually liked the effort of all the players, from Tim, TP, Manu, to Bowen, FinDog and Barry. The Duke of Canterbury is regrading to his usual self and that worries me a bit. With Horry sleeping through the regular season, Bonner being conspicuous by his lack of production, and Oberto getting in foul trouble, I worry that Pop may use tinyball more time than recommended. Is Mahimi ready for prime time?

I am happy with the win, and happy with FinDog's performance. However, his averages are still horrible in the first 10 games, and his is killing the Spurs' production. Udoka may not be ready to start (+ playing Udoka and Bowen at the same time is a big NO-NO), but if Finley continues his decline I am truly concerned that he may become the next Van Exel. Let's hope this game is an inflexion point.

Barry has shown he deserves more minutes. Pop should reduce Finley's time on the court a bit and give the extra time to Brent. He deserves it.

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 12:37 AM
This back-and-forth between Timvp and Chumpdumper is cracking me up!

I'm curious, CD...why is Atlanta listed as your team?

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:41 AM
This back-and-forth between Timvp and Chumpdumper is cracking me up!

I'm curious, CD...why is Atlanta listed as your team?Someone has to be a fan.

I definitely prefer Scola over Bonner until he doesn't play well and I can flip-flop again.

Guajalote
11-17-2007, 12:41 AM
One thing that stood out to me was how important Tony is to this team, even when his shot isn't falling. TD is the man, don't get me wrong. But I think a large part of his success tonight was due to Houston's first half defense.

There was one stretch, in the fourth quarter I think, with both Parker and Manu on the bench when the offense looked like they were Conga line dancing. There were four guys surrounding TD who couldn't create their own shot. Finally, Tony came in and the offense instantly improved because of his speed and penetration. Once everything opened up, his shot started falling too.

Great team effort. Plus, it's nice to see that Adelman still hasn't lost that whiney face from way back in his Portland days and Sacto days. :cry

ploto
11-17-2007, 12:42 AM
I could have sworn people said Scola could not play alongside Duncan but he sure looks fine alongside Yao. Then they said he could not defend, but he has that sneaky Argentine defense. Oh, but his game will NEVER transfer to the NBA. We need Bonner! :lol

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Someone has to be a fan.

:lol

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I could have sworn people said Scola could not play alongside Duncan but he sure looks fine alongside Yao. Then they said he could not defend, but he has that sneaky Argentine defense. Oh, but his game will NEVER transfer to the NBA. We need Bonner! :lol:lol You would be fine with the Spurs if they had kept Rasho.

ploto
11-17-2007, 12:44 AM
He's making me think that too...I know they are both chokers...but Bonner takes it to a whole new level. The slightest bit of pressure and he becomes a headcase...Mengke Bateer had more poise. I know he's a nice guy...but he can go be a nice choking guy on someone else's team...I'll still like him...in fact I'll like him even more if he does it for the Mavs :tu
Welcome to Toronto, circa 2005. :D

DOMINATOR
11-17-2007, 12:45 AM
he went off against the spurs... shouldnt the spurs know the most about him? they did draft him...
this was a good game for him huge confidence boost.

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 12:45 AM
perhaps this is silly, but I'm getting a little concerned with Parker...He doesn't look right. They took a shot of him tonight, and he looked out of it.
Maybe he's just tired or something, but it didn't seem right.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 12:46 AM
he went off against the spurs... shouldnt the spurs know the most about him? they did draft him...
this was a good game for him huge confidence boost.The Spurs defense can suck, but Scola had some very good moves.

Definitely ROY if he shoots 91% for the year.

Roxsfan
11-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Wake me when Scola goes 11-11 :smokin

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Great recap timvp.

I still think the Spurs made a blunder with Scola. Even if Scola ends up being a bust --which I highly doubt it--, his perceived value at the time of the trade was much higher that basically the "nothing" that the Spurs got in return. The fact that Scola earns less money than Bonner is just horrendous!

It really wasn't...the Spurs would have gotten more if they could have. The fact is that the friction between Scola and the Spurs was well documented...as was the fact that Scola's buyout situation with Tau was a huge headache. Not to mention that the fact that the Spurs were basically giving up on this guy after 5 years in the system was bound to make other execs uneasy...

The Spurs could not have gotten much more for him than they did...believe me, if Scola was that shithot, the Spurs could have moved him and Butler elsewhere...

I was ready to pull the trigger on the S&T for Nocioni like everyone else....unfortunately, Pax wasn't biting.

whottt
11-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Oberto did it...

meta2007
11-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I am impressed by Scola's high bball IQ. He read the game very well, and has ability to write his own things.

objective
11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
I could have sworn people said Scola could not play alongside Duncan but he sure looks fine alongside Yao. Then they said he could not defend, but he has that sneaky Argentine defense. Oh, but his game will NEVER transfer to the NBA. We need Bonner! :lol

lol, very correct post.

Now, one game of course doesn't a season make, after all Bonner had a good shooting game this season already.

And Scola won't get that many opportunities when McGrady gets back and guys like Mike James still out on the court.

BUT

He showed why so many of us wanted him on the Spurs. The savvy post scoring. The mid-range game as good as any other non-Duncan big over the last few years. The Argentine flop defense, the hustle, the drive, the competitiveness . . .

And yes, it would be nice to have another legit scorer off the bench besides Manu. We've all seen stretches of game where nobody knows what to do on offense as the shotclock runs down and Elson and Oberto and Vaughn and whoever wander about hoping Manu pulls something out for them.

For the money, Scola was a steal.

Now there will probably be a few more games this season where Bonner hits a couple of threes and gets a block and everyone goes back into "Bonner is the next Horry!" hysteria, and a few games where Scola shoots poorly, picks up a bunch of fouls, and looks lost.

But give me Scola over Bonner the next three years easy.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Scola boosters came out of the woodwork. Where were they the last two weeks?

objective
11-17-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm still on the fence...I tend to like Bonner better, but I might have to reconsider if Bonner keeps this crap up. Scola may choke but at least he doesn't become a headcase in midgame while doing it...that's a whole new level of choke on Bonner's part....right now it's like a choice of gonorreah or crabs...I'm not running to get either of them.

Good point about Bonner and his demeanor on the court.

He seemed . . . I don't know, not just frustrated starting with the Mavs game, but . . . pouty and sullen? I'm searching for the words, I don't know how to describe it properly. I think it looked like more than just disappointment or getting down on oneself, it seemed like he was having problems out there. Pop had to talk him down off the ledge it seemed, inconsolable.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Bonner is falling into the same trap many on this board have; he's trying to be Horry.

RC's Boss
11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I think we saw a good game from Scola for 2 reasons. One, no T-Mac, so someone had to take those extra shots, and two, b/c he was playing against the Spurs and probably has some chip on his shoulder. Can he defend well on a consistent basis? I think not!

RC's Boss
11-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I prefer Bonner in the long run. He looks like a big dufus on the court, but I have a feeling that in a few playoff games, his shot is going to match the color of his hair.... FIRE!

objective
11-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't think he can defend well on a constant basis, but he can get charges like Varajao and Oberto, and he can get some blocks and steals.

Bonner and Barry get time for the Spurs, neither of them are exactly lockdown defenders, and Elson has his questionable moments too.

RC's Boss
11-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Bonner is falling into the same trap many on this board have; he's trying to be Horry.
That's b/c people tend to forget about Horry's b-ball IQ and defensive skills and compare the two only b/c they are both PFs that can hit 3's.

T Park
11-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Id love to know why in the offensive sets, why Bonner even leaves the 3 point line.

Scola didn't play the entire second half against the Spurs last time, and has been struggling to get off the bench in other games, tonight he has a good game and is all of a sudden the second coming again.

Amazing.

Solid D
11-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Duncan and Manu were incredible tonight. Bowen was solid on D.

I am always impressed with Shane Battier. He is such a good basketball player at both ends of the floor. He continually shows that he is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. He always defends Manu well and makes things difficult for him.

Alston also played well defensively. That's something he improved under JVG last season and he's continued this season, it seems. After his recent off-court activities, if someone says that "Rafer slashes to the basket"...it makes for a scary thought.

koopa
11-17-2007, 01:51 AM
-Jacque Vaughn was out on the court for 15 minutes and did nothing other than miss two shots. One of those shots was a bad shot early in the possession. However, when it comes to Vaughn, less is more. If you see an empty stat line, that means Vaughn is doing his job. Vaughn is best when he plays defense and then on offense gives the ball to someone else (usually Ginobili) and just gets out of the way.

vaughn was the reason the rockets kept it close late in the third early 4th, alston was making him his bitch........ pop left him in for 15 minutes to long, i wish he was still hurt cause he fucking sucks, ppl say he plays good d, but that's bs, he's slower then shit, the only reason he looked like he played d last year was casue he was being compared to beno as the back up and beno sucked more ass then he does......... pop needs to stop having a hard on for veterns and play the young guys and let them work through their growing pains early in the season so they are ready for the games late in the year, there is no reason washington should not be playing

T Park
11-17-2007, 01:53 AM
pop needs to stop having a hard on for veterns and play the young guys and let them work through their growing pains early in the season so they are ready for the games late in the year

What young guys other than Washington aren't playing?

koopa
11-17-2007, 01:55 AM
What young guys other than Washington aren't playing?

well i mean overall, not just this year, it always seems he rather play the old ppl even when they ain't effective

T Park
11-17-2007, 01:56 AM
well i mean overall, not just this year, it always seems he rather play the old ppl even when they ain't effective

yes like in 03 when he benched Steve Smith in favor of Stephen Jackson?

Deimosfobos
11-17-2007, 01:57 AM
For the same money, would you rather have Matt Bonner or Luis Scola on this team?

Scola >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matt Bonner

People saying red is better for us because he can hit a 3' makes me want to shoot myself. :bang

Scola would be an amazing sub for Duncan, giving him the needed rest he needs on regular season now that he's not that young anymore. Scola would also help Manu a lot when he takes the floor with the second unit, they play great together.

Hurts me to see Scola on Rockets uniform :cry

Deimosfobos
11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
perhaps this is silly, but I'm getting a little concerned with Parker...He doesn't look right. They took a shot of him tonight, and he looked out of it.
Maybe he's just tired or something, but it didn't seem right.

Parker is young and talented, im sure it's nothing to worry, he'll be playing like his usualself soon.

Darkwaters
11-17-2007, 02:06 AM
The Scola trade still makes me sick. But Scola has been extremely underwhelming in every NBA game so far EXCEPT tonight. Even Bowen exploded for 23 points the other night, so despite one good showing Scola has done little to suggest he can give that effort consistently.

While I would prefer Scola, I still think Bonner can be a quality piece to this team. Hes just in a weird funk right now, and I hope he finds his way out of it quickly.

objective
11-17-2007, 02:08 AM
yes like in 03 when he benched Steve Smith in favor of Stephen Jackson?

I would agree, except that was one year too late and only after Smith was out with injury.

ShoogarBear
11-17-2007, 03:47 AM
I only got to see the second half, but what I saw was that Vaughn was horrible on defense. Rafer Alston went buckwild on him for a stretch.

kuato
11-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Scola is just starting to show his skills, every nba coach underestimates foreign players by default, Manu and Scola will never be the stars, because they play good team basketball and fans don't like team play :D.

ShoogarBear
11-17-2007, 04:00 AM
Scola is just starting to show his skills, every nba coach underestimates foreign players by default, Manu and Scola will never be the stars, because they play good team basketball and fans don't like team play :D.Yeah, that's why selfish guys like Tim Duncan are the stars and more popular in San Antonio than Manu.

kuato
11-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Yes just in SA, and that's why I'm an spur´s fan but look other teams and other foreign player like Chapu, Delfino, Herrmann ... well I'm just pointing that team play is not popular and thats why a lot of fans don't see what spurs have lost in Scola trade . I don't see why Luis Scola need to prove that he is a good player.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Yes just in SA, and thats why im an spur´s fanWell congratulations on your nationality-dependent fandom.

kuato
11-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Nothing to do with nations, I'm just pointing that a lot of people is still talking about if Scola can play in NBA, suggesting that all of his euro credits are nothing.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Euro credits don't necessarily mean anything in the NBA.

Slomo
11-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Euro Credit = 1.45 x NBA Credit

:p:

kuato
11-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Yea Right, because euro basket is played with sticks ¿?¿?¿ ahaha, your point is valid too but basketball is basketball and Scola was multiple mvp, we cant discuss if he knows how to play, if he knows how to shoot ... , we can discuss if he will adapt to the league (personally i think he will). Anyway, spurs won and that's what counts. I will send you an Argentina flag (joke).

WalterBenitez
11-17-2007, 05:03 AM

:reading I don't remember that :p:

picnroll
11-17-2007, 07:29 AM

No! Really?
Bonner sucks. Last year timvp made a rallying call to take your least favorite Spur and make him your avatar and somehow came up that mine was Horry so I made mine Horry. wtfn. Well I'm legitmately about to change it to Bonner for the 2007-2008 year, Here's the next guy Spurs will be dumping assests to unload. Pobably Splitter and Bonner for some 1998 second round pick playing in Kamkuchee.

Harry Callahan
11-17-2007, 07:49 AM
SAS concentrated on limiting the things Houston did well in the game earlier this month - such as limiting their offensive rebounds, slowing down Bonzi, slowing down Mike James, slowing down YAO. They did a pretty good job on all of those fronts. All of those shots for Scola tonight will dry up when McGrady gets back.

I have seen a few Rockets games earlier this year and LS has tended to move around on the weak side of the floor patrolling for offensive rebounds - he looked a little lost to me and was not getting a lot of shots. His teamates would not pass the ball to him. Tonight, without TM, he let the shots fly and the Spurs did not contest his outside shot more than once or twice. Unfortunately for the SAS, the shots went in.

When McGrady is on the floor, the Rocket offense is basically (1) Watch TM pound the ball, make a move and get a shot off (2) Throw the ball to YAO for a jumper (3) Allow the smaller scorers (Alston, James, Wells) to go one on one and jack up a shot. (4) Scraps for the power forward. There is not consistent movement of the ball in and out or side to side. As a result, opponents can often limit their scoring. Adelman's offensive system historically has required good passing from the forwards and center (Webber, Divac, Miller). Houston's big people are not as good in that area and McGrady needs the ball be in his hands a great deal of the time to shoot or (occasionally) pass. It may take a while for Houston to become a good offensive group with the new system assuming everyone can stay healthy. HR scored only 84 points even with Luis' 10-11.

By the way, I have not seen so many uncontested jumpshots from an opposing player in a long time. I would rather sag off LS than to allow James or Alston a bunch of uncontested 3's. Pop was going with the percentages and in the end it worked.

Correct me if I'm completely off base (I don't think I am), but I think Splitter (next year) and Mahimi (in time) will take away a lot of the temporary teeth nashing we are seeing now in the ST forum. Those guys are young (21 or 22), athletic, legitimate 6-11 players with the versatility to play the 4 or 5 - they can help us for many years in the future. Bonner does contribute in that he speads the floor as a long range shooter and competes well defensively - he even worked over Yao Ming by fronting him a time or two tonight.

It is not a good thing for us that Scola is with Houston. We as Spurs people need to remember that the 5 year impasse with Scola, his agent, and Tau Ceramica got to the point where the agent accused the SAS of making LS a "Prisoner". LS can talk all he wants to about there being no hard feelings, but nothing is further from the truth. He was highly motivated for this game in SA - he and his agent had absolutely NO interest in coming to San Antonio and being a backup to Tim Duncan for the next three to five years. Unfortunately for the Spurs, bridges had already been burned before this summer and there was apparently no turning back. Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

BTW LS is not a good one on one defender. LS was help defending in the lane three or four times waiting for drivers and flying backward like he's been shot after minimal contact. A couple of those offensive fouls he drew were simply laughable. Scola needs some more acting lessons from Manu - a least MG actually gets hit some when trying to to draw an OF.

I have rarely seen a rookie player like Scola get more unwarranted respect in a game defensively, allowing continuous, heavy contact in the post - Duncan was about to go upside his head after getting pounded the entire first half. If the officials had been doing their job tonight, Luis would have played about ten minutes and fouled out.

Spurs Brazil
11-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the recap timvp

For the same money, would you rather have Luis Scola or Matt Bonner?

Thanks.

If Bonner could play like he did against LA I'd prefer him. He made that game a lot easier when he hit his shots and played hard, going after boards and trying to play D. But I'm afraid that Bonner will not show every night

For the next 3 season for the same money I'd rather have Scola but I hope that Bonner can play in that LA level more often.

And I have one question.

Do you want to keep JV playing as a backup PG or would rather give DW minutes eary in the season?

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm dumb

you bet your ass YOU ARE.

some_user86
11-17-2007, 08:06 AM
you bet your ass YOU ARE.

Uh, I think he was being sarcastic...

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Uh, I think he was being sarcastic...

yeah,me too.....

But now that I think about it, He was actually right.

some_user86
11-17-2007, 08:26 AM
yeah,me too.....

But now that I think about it, He was actually right.

You changed your post since I posted. You hadn't malformed Chump's quote when I replied to it.

SpursIndonesia
11-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I think Finley's pressured by Manu's great early season play. He feels guilty that he's a starter who's not producing, while Manu is kicking ass yet not even make the smallest gesture of wanting to start again. He's in a slump yet the pressure makes it worse IMHO.

On Bonner, yeah, ChumpD said it correctly, he's playing outside his boundary trying to impress while Horry's out, yet when it backfires, his game becomes uncontrolled offensively, and his already weak defense gets worse.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I think Finley's pressured by Manu's great early season play. He feels guilty that he's a starter who's not producing, while Manu is kicking ass yet not even make the smallest gesture of wanting to start again. He's in a slump yet the pressure makes it worse IMHO.

On Bonner, yeah, ChumpD said it correctly, he's playing outside his boundary trying to impress while Horry's out, yet when it backfires, his game becomes uncontrolled offensively, and his already weak defense gets worse.

If bonner wants to impress while Horry is out,He should defenetly go take some classes from Scola.
He actually impresed everybody last night.

wildbill2u
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I only got to watch part of the fourth quarter. Although Tim had better stats than Yao tonight, I saw a look of frustration on his face when Yao hit a couple of fade away jumpers with Tim all over him defensively.

although he is a little slow footed, Yao is the real deal on offense.

Scola may have proved to his team he can step up and score when he's needed (like with TMAC out). In past games they've appeared to be playing 'freeze out' when he was open, but he hasn't played 10 games in the NBA yet.

Spurs did their usual thing at the end. Stepped up the defensive pressure yet another notch and waited for the opponent's offense to break. It did. We won.

thousandth
11-17-2007, 09:19 AM
-Matt Bonner has to be making the Spurs think about whether they made the right move by trading away Scola. While he was on the court, the only thing he did of note was turn the ball over. He didn’t score and didn’t grab a rebound, while on the other end Scola was playing flawlessly. Considering that Bonner got a larger contract than Scola, the Spurs front office has to be second guessing themselves right about now. Bonner was good early in the season but he’s been pretty horrible for the last couple weeks. Scola showing a perimeter jumper and better defensive skills than Bonner has ever shown isn’t a good combination.

I can't make it out. Why Pop put Bonner over Scola as soon as he did?. Why not Oberto? How many points Scola scored on Bonner? 8 in 2nd quarter (and 4 over Elson in 1st quarter).
Oberto controlled Scola easily when he to guard him, the rox rookie couldn't score on him and missed his shot (2:10' remaining 3nd quarter).
Fab knows how to play against Scola much better than Matt. I put it down to his lack of experience but when it comes to the crunch Bonner's defensive sucks.
I'd rather have Oberto plays D on Scola all the time, the rox rookie is a small forward and Oberto always did well in those match up (like Boozer/Utah West/NO, ).
Popovich has nothing to lose to by trying the next games vs Rox.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I can't make it out. Why Pop put Bonner over Scola as soon as he did?. Why not Oberto? How many points Scola scored on Bonner? 8 in 2nd quarter (and 4 over Elson in 1st quarter).
Oberto controlled Scola easily when he to guard him, the rox rookie couldn't score on him and missed his shot (2:10' remaining 3nd quarter).
Fab knows how to play against Scola much better than Matt. I put it down to his lack of experience but when it comes to the crunch Bonner's defensive sucks.
I'd rather have Oberto plays D on Scola all the time, the rox rookie is a small forward and Oberto always did well in those match up (like Boozer/Utah West/NO, ).
Popovich has nothing to lose to by trying the next games vs Rox.

I thought about it too,Oberto knows Scola for a long time,and knows his moves.
I guess Pop was trying to show the fans and media that it was the right choice to keep Bonner and give away Scola,and stiked Matt on Scola and just got owned last night.

1Parker1
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Scola would have been good to put on Dirk...:angel

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
and He will,but not with a Spurs jersey. :rolleyes

thousandth
11-17-2007, 09:39 AM

:lmao

I thought about it too,Oberto knows Scola for a long time,and knows his moves.
I guess Pop was trying to show the fans and media that it was the right choice to keep Bonner and give away Scola,and stiked Matt on Scola and just got owned last night.

:rollin

U killing me, bro

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I know that way deep inside you would love to have Scola getting Bonners and some of Elson's and Fabri's minutes,but the homerism is stronger tham that.don't it?

some_user86
11-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I know that way deep inside you would love to have Scola getting Bonners and some of Elson's and Fabri's minutes,but the homerism is stronger tham that.don't it?

Horry is going to take Bonner's and some of Elson and Fabricio's minutes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I just owned Scola for 26 points and 6 rebs with Bonner on 2k8 :smokin.

I prefer Bonner.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:03 AM

Funny how you've referred to anybody contradicting you on Scola as homers...

When all you've been doing is singing his praises in 3 different threads. :lmao

And what I posted regarding Spurs Dynasty 21's comment in the stickied thread applies as well to you:

As it is right now, you just sound like you wish your verbal fellation was literal.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Funny how you've referred to anybody contradicting you on Scola as homers...

When all you've been doing is singing his praises in 3 different threads. :lmao

And what I posted regarding Spurs Dynasty 21's comment in the stickied thread applies as well to you:
I'm just going by the facts:
20 pts in 28 mins, 10/11 FG.

what were Bonner's numbers again last night???

you're gonna have to try harder.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm just going by the facts:
20 pts in 28 mins, 10/11 FG.

what were Bonner's numbers again last night???

you're gonna have to try harder.

At what, being a homer?

No need, you've pretty much got that award pretty much to yourself.

And like I said, only homers go verbally fellating non-Spur players in three different threads.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 10:11 AM
At what, being a homer?

No need, you've pretty much got that award pretty much to yourself.

And like I said, only homers go verbally fellating non-Spur players in three different threads.

.......still waiting on Bonner's numbers last night......

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:12 AM
.......still waiting on Bonner's numbers last night......

Still waiting on your response: are you a Scola homer or not?

some_user86
11-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Bonner: 17.9 MPG, 3.3 RPG, 6.5 PPG
Scola: 18.0 MPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.5 PPG

These threads are pointless.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:16 AM

EDIT: Brainfart :lol

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:17 AM

By the way, stating that these threads were pointless after you kept them going? What does that say about you? :lmao

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Still waiting on your response: are you a Scola homer or not?

not at all.I never said Scola was gonna be an all star player.
But I did say that he could've been a great addition to the spurs,and could provide the team some interior scoring while Timmy is getting some rest.

now...what were Bonner's numbers again last night?

some_user86
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
By the way, stating that these threads were pointless after you kept them going? What does that say about you? :lmao

Yes, I have pointless time to waste. I don't mind admitting it. :)

There is a reason why science uses statistics over extrapolating over a random data point: any given point can give a result you want. It was one game, and making large predictions over it is just dumb. Once T-mac is back, Scola will go back to his usual ineffective self. I predict by the end of the year, Bonner and Scola will have similar stats.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 10:22 AM

yeah,great point you made.

While Bonner has already 2 full seasons playing the spurs system,and Scola just played his 8th game with his new time in the NBA.
Keep the Homerism at its best,you are doing great.

some_user86
11-17-2007, 10:24 AM
But I did say that he could've been a great addition to the spurs,and could provide the team some interior scoring while Timmy is getting some rest.

Again, it was ONE game. Bonner had 15 pts two nights before. Scola had 4 pts the night before. You can't make any observations after a singular statistic.

You are trying to end run toward a very, very faulty conclusion.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:25 AM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81738

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76797

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81728

So, a homer AND a liar. :lmao

some_user86
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
yeah,great point you made.

While Bonner has already 2 full seasons playing the spurs system,and Scola just played his 8th game with his new time in the NBA.
Keep the Homerism at its best,you are doing great.

Sure as long as you keep up your wet dreams of blowing Scola.

Russ
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Scola still seems like too much of an international player to me. Most of the foreign players who have thrived in the NBA are more athletic. Tony Parker, Manu, Nowitski, AK are all more the classic NBA type. The international game is more about zone D and outside shooting.

Scola is a better version of Oberto, but he probably can't play the 5 like Oberto. He would be of little use against the scrambling cockroaches of Dallas (still the main ctiterion for second line Spurs players IMO).

Scola nails the mid-range jumper which almost no one in the NBA does anymore. That will earn him a niche. But that's also where Duncan operates and Pop likes players (even subs at the 4) who can be on the court with Duncan if need be.

While Scola is much better than Bonner, Pop likes Bonner and not Scola. Unless you're too good to ignore, that characteristic will trump many others in the Spurs locker room.

Scola is so unusual by today's NBA standard that it's hard to predict how well he'll do in the playoffs -- he's a wild card. Like Don Nelson 40 years down the road in a time machine. If he can adapt and learn he'll do fine, but I still don't think he was a good fit for the Spurs.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM
So, a homer AND a liar. :lmao

Link to where I said He was gonna be the best PFs who ever played the game of BB??????

thanks.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Scola still seems like too much of an international player to me. Most of the foreign players who have thrived in the NBA are more athletic. Tony Parker, Manu, Nowitski, AK are all more the classic NBA type. The international game is more about zone D and outside shooting.

Scola is a better version of Oberto, but he probably can't play the 5 like Oberto. He would be of little use against the scrambling cockroaches of Dallas (still the main ctiterion for second line Spurs players IMO).

Scola nails the mid-range jumper which almost no one in the NBA does anymore. That will earn him a niche. But that's also where Duncan operates and Pop likes players (even subs at the 4) who can be on the court with Duncan if need be.

While Scola is much better than Bonner, Pop likes Bonner and not Scola. Unless you're too good to ignore, that characteristic will trump many others in the Spurs locker room.

Scola is so unusual by today's NBA standard that it's hard to predict how well he'll do in the playoffs -- he's a wild card. Like Don Nelson 40 years down the road in a time machine. If he can adapt and learn he'll do fine, but I still don't think he was a good fit for the Spurs.

Don't confuse ArgScolaFan with an actual, well-thought out argument. He gets easily flustered that way.

anakha
11-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Link to where I said He was gonna be the best PFs who ever played the game of BB??????

thanks.

Link to where I was accusing you of saying "He was gonna be the best PFs who ever played the game of BB"?

Thanks.

BeerIsGood!
11-17-2007, 10:49 AM
all of this bullshit about Scola is tiring. Even Bowen puts up 23 every now and then. These Scola shit talkers are ruining this site. Just shut the fuck up already.

BeerIsGood!
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Two things I noticed in this game.

The Rockets played much better than they did in Houston.

The Spurs can't even get a home court advantage. They were just shy of getting jobbed. All 3 of Scola's charges were wrong calls and the Rockets got away with hacking the shit out of people in the lane. The Mavs got most of the calls the night before at home, is it too much for the champs to at least get the same consideration?

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Parker is young and talented, im sure it's nothing to worry, he'll be playing like his usualself soon.

I'm not saying that I don't think he'll bounce back at some point, but it seems like he hasn't been right lately. eh...maybe it's nothing.

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 12:14 PM
all of this bullshit about Scola is tiring. Even Bowen puts up 23 every now and then. These Scola shit talkers are ruining this site. Just shut the fuck up already.

I agree...Can't we just let the Scola deal go already? It's done. He's gone, and Bonner is here. Deal.

SpursIndonesia
11-17-2007, 12:17 PM
If bonner wants to impress while Horry is out,He should defenetly go take some classes from Scola.
He actually impresed everybody last night.

So, what lesson that he would learn from Scola ? Playing well once every 10 NBA games ? :donkey

Mr. Body
11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Look, Bonner is an end-of-the-bench hustle type player. He's Brian Scalabrine. You don't expect hiim to turn into a rotation player - ever. You don't give him $3 million dollars just because he's a nice guy.

The Spurs clearly expected he could be a rotation player. And this board clearly thought he could somehow replace Robert Horry. And the Spurs gave him the money.

Of course Scola's going to be a good NBA pro. Has there been any doubt? Growing pains, sure, but the guy just knows how to play basketball and has a huge heart and motor.

OF COURSE trading Scola away for bupkis and signing Matt Bonner for more money than anyone would have paid him were bad decisions. Who's doubting this?

td4mvp21
11-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Check Scola's season averages: 5.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg. That 5.5 is with a 20 point explosion. Those are Elson numbers. Why the fuck are people riding his jock and saying the Spurs should have kept him?

Holt's Cat
11-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Look, Bonner is an end-of-the-bench hustle type player. He's Brian Scalabrine. You don't expect hiim to turn into a rotation player - ever. You don't give him $3 million dollars just because he's a nice guy.

The Spurs clearly expected he could be a rotation player. And this board clearly thought he could somehow replace Robert Horry. And the Spurs gave him the money.

Of course Scola's going to be a good NBA pro. Has there been any doubt? Growing pains, sure, but the guy just knows how to play basketball and has a huge heart and motor.

OF COURSE trading Scola away for bupkis and signing Matt Bonner for more money than anyone would have paid him were bad decisions. Who's doubting this?

Gifting Scola to an in-state rival was a bad move.

Signing Bonner was not. Having a big like him who is not afraid to bang, hustle, and is a solid 3 point threat fits right in with Spurs Basketball. The Spurs don't think he will replace Horry. But having a big who can stretch the floor is a good thing.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I thought Bonner's play in the Mavericks game was one of about 3 positives I gathered from it....He wasn't perfect but I thought he played well for him.

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
So, what lesson that he would learn from Scola ? Playing well once every 10 NBA games ? :donkey

Actually,they were Scola's Firts 10 games ever in the NBA.
how many games have Bonner played already in the NBA,and still haven't learned shit??

slayermin
11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Bonner gives the Spurs more versatility in their roster. Ultimately, I think Bonner will be judged on how well he shoots the three. If he shoots better than 35% from 3pt land, everything should workout. Hopefully he shoots closer to 40% from three.

I would love to have kept Scola. If we had a billionaire owner, I am sure we would have kept him. But to repeat this year, I think the Spurs made the right decision.

Oberto and Scola play similar roles. But I like Oberto better for these Spurs because he's a proven commodity and he focuses on defense and rebounding. And playing alongside TD, that's what we need. Offensively, Oberto isn't chop liver. He plays in the flow of the offense. He usually gets a couple of easy buckets a game by cutting to open spots on the floor.

I am certain Scola will turn out to be a nice player. He's already better than Bonner as an overall player, but he can't shoot threes. And one thing as a Spurs fan I have learned from past playoffs is that you can never have enough three point shooters on the roster. And a big that shoots threes is invaluable.

If TD was older or injured, Scola would be a better fit on the Spurs. He would give the team depth in the post. But TD is healthy and if he was older or injured, we probably don't repeat anyway.

Bonner needs to stay aggressive out there. If he's open, he needs to shoot it. If he's off, I'm sure Pop will either take him out or say something to him. Even if Bonner does turn into a Hedo or HITA, we have Horry for the playoffs. Bonner needs to play well in the regular season so we can keep Horry on ice. And along the way, he needs to keep improving so he can make a contribution in the playoffs.

2centsworth
11-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Bonner moves and plays like Frankenstein end of story. Scola will go back to playing poorly as soon as TMAC comes back. Scola is a 10 and 4 player IMO.

Walter Craparita
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM

He's about as consistent as Finley and Barry then? He would fight right in :elephant

ArgSpursFan.
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Bonner moves and plays like Frankenstein end of story. .

I was actually going to say Robot,but I guess Frankenstein feets actually better.

Spurs Dynasty 21
11-17-2007, 06:11 PM
That Scola trade is making more sense every day

anakha
11-17-2007, 06:59 PM
That Scola trade is making more sense every day

:lmao

As expected, you only run your mouth on Scola when he finally had a good game.

Shouldn't you have the balls to have been able to talk about his game when he wasn't doing so well before? You were so careful to avoid talking about Scola's performance the past couple of weeks.

If you had at least defended his prior performances (even if they would have been hilariously misguided), people would at least give these current comments a little more consideration.

As it is right now, you just sound like you wish your verbal fellation was literal.

whottt
11-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Actually,they were Scola's Firts 10 games ever in the NBA.
how many games have Bonner played already in the NBA,and still haven't learned shit??

Bonner's 10th game ever in the NBA he did this:

14 pts(7-9 FG)
7 rebounds

He was also 4 years younger than Scola is now.

Anything else you want add? Or is Scola already missing you felching him?

whottt
11-17-2007, 07:08 PM
If Bonner was that good in his 10th game...just imagine how good he is now.

Kinda reminds me of Rasho's career best game coming against the Spurs...had like 25 points and 10 rebounds against us...

Bruno
11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Calling Bonner a scrub because he has had some bad games this season is quite ridiculous.
Bonner has played 3 seasons in nba including 1 with Spurs. He is a well known quantity and I don't see a reason why he has become worse this summer. Bonner has had a quite bad season so far but he will likely bounce back and played like he did for Spurs last year (or even better since he is in a better physical shape and knows more the team).
I'm not that high on Bonner but I'm quite sure that he will be useful this year.

E20
11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd like to know if Lebron owns ESPN or something.

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/11/32015251673.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-17-2007, 07:20 PM

You're free to your own opinion but to me that looks like a pretty decent starting 5. :smokin

bdictjames
11-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Are you serious? Is that real?

duncan228
11-17-2007, 07:23 PM

LeBron owns the league. :p:

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Are you serious? Is that real?
Yea they fucked up and that's what came up as the starting lineup for the Rockets game.

SpursFanFirst
11-17-2007, 09:05 PM

:lol I must've looked that pic over 4 times before I figured it out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-17-2007, 09:39 PM
:lol I must've looked that pic over 4 times before I figured it out.