PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs notebook: Back from injury, Barry plays key 4th-quarter minutes

some_user86
11-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Spurs notebook: Back from injury, Barry plays key 4th-quarter minutes

Web Posted: 11/17/2007 01:16 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

When the Spurs' game against the Houston Rockets was on the line at the AT&T Center on Friday night, Brent Barry was right where he wanted to be — on the court.

Three games removed from a stint on the injured list with a sprained right ankle, Barry played all but the final 25.9 seconds of the fourth period in the Spurs' 90-84 victory. His 3-pointer with 9:20 remaining and a 13-foot fadeaway runner with 5:30 left accounted for the Spurs' only points during a stretch when the Rockets threatened to overtake them.

For Barry, the long fourth-quarter run represented affirmation of coach Gregg Popovich's confidence that the injury did not diminish the aggressive play he wants from him.

"It felt good to be out there," Barry said. "When teams have certain matchups, we're going to go different ways, and it's nice to be out there. Hopefully, next time I'll get a chance to do something at the end of the game."

Popovich nearly promised he would get the chance.

"He's played well all through the preseason," Popovich said, "and I've got to figure out ways to get him on the court more, because he has played really well."

Center of attention: Houston's Yao Ming was surprised to learn that the Spurs' Tim Duncan was on this year's All-Star ballot as a center, rather than forward.

Voted to the Western Conference starting lineup each of his first four seasons, Yao said Duncan's placing on the ballot represented a new challenge.

"It is more challenge at the center position, huh?" Yao said. "However, a couple years ago, we had Shaquille O'Neal move to the East, so that made it easier."

Yao, who is from Shanghai, is tired of hearing that Internet voters in China are responsible for his having been voted to the starting lineup in his first four seasons in the league. If San Antonians are upset that he might get more votes this year than Duncan, he wants them to know he is not responsible for the voting system.

"After five years I'm already tired of talking about Internet vote," Yao said before Friday's game. "That rule was not set by me.

"First, I appreciate every fan that votes on me and if again I get a chance, I will enjoy the All-Star Game."

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111707.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.2a2d918.html

some_user86
11-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Also bound to make whottt happy.