PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: More time for Vaughn means less for rookies

some_user86
11-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Spurs Notebook: More time for Vaughn means less for rookies

Web Posted: 11/17/2007 11:57 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

The return of one of the oldest Spurs has meant a significant dip in playing time for the team's two youngest players.
In the two games since being activated from the injured list, Jacque Vaughn has slipped back into his familiar role as Tony Parker's primary backup at point guard. Vaughn, who has battled a strained calf since training camp, is averaging a shade above 30 minutes, logging one basket.

His return has meant less time for rookie point guard Darius Washington, who has played just three minutes and 24 seconds since Vaughn's activation.

The Spurs' other rookie — Ian Mahinmi — hasn't played at all in the past two games. He was deactivated to clear room for Vaughn on the active roster.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich seems poised to let the 32-year-old Vaughn play his way back into the rotation.

"He's a real steady hand, and he knows the system," Popovich said. "We're glad he's back."

Back-to-back boon: The Spurs have made strides toward dispelling the notion that older teams struggle on the second night of a back-to-back.

After beating Houston on Friday, they are now 3-0 in the back end of consecutive games this season. The Spurs celebrated their latest victory by taking Saturday off, the first of three consecutive days without a game — they don't play again until Tuesday in Atlanta.

Turnover troubles: Before Thursday's loss at Dallas, the Spurs were tops in the league at taking care of the basketball. They've since slipped to second after committing 14 turnovers in each of the past two games.

Those numbers actually could have been worse — the Spurs had nine turnovers at the half against the Mavericks, and 12 at the half against the Rockets.

The team's biggest offenders over the past two games are Manu Ginobili (10) and Tim Duncan (nine).

"We're not a high-turnover team," Michael Finley said. "We were playing out of character. We just had to slow down and get back to what we do."

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111807.SpursNotebook1118.en.29430eb.html

timvp
11-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Vaughn, who has battled a strained calf since training camp, is averaging a shade above 30 minutes, logging one basket.I miss Ludden.

:depressed

E20
11-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I miss Ludden.

:depressed
I don't get it. Is that stat wrong, sounds wrong, Tony averages 30 MPG. I'm too lazy to check.

some_user86
11-18-2007, 02:26 AM
He's averaging 15.0 mpg.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jacque_vaughn/index.html

some_user86
11-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I think McDonald meant to say he's logged 30 minutes total and made 1 basket.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jacque_vaughn/game_by_game_stats.html

He should've proofread.

E20
11-18-2007, 02:27 AM
I think McDonlad forgot to mention that he is averaging 30 MPG Per 48 Minutes. :lol

His airball was horrendous. :vomit: