PDA

View Full Version : Start Barry at SF (nothing against Bruce)

jay014
11-18-2007, 11:50 AM
get some offense going early then enter Ginobili(instant offense) and Bowen and clamp down on D.

Walter Craparita
11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Why not Finley's spot?

SenorSpur
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
....and who is supposed to guard the opposition's best permieter player?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Why not Finley's spot?

some_user86
11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Why not Finley's spot?

:tu

Then again, it might make Finley irreparably depressed. Jeez, we always seem to have someone who needs to be babied (Hedo, Rasho, Ron Mercer, etc).

thispego
11-18-2007, 12:05 PM
finley needs to be babied?

i dont see a good reason for Bowen not to start

exstatic
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Barry is a sharpshooter, but a fucking turnstile on Defense.

some_user86
11-18-2007, 12:28 PM
finley needs to be babied?

i dont see a good reason for Bowen not to start

He collapses whenever his stroke gets off. People are constantly worried that he is too hard on himself, and everyone has to make sure he feels better. I consider that babying.

See: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81742

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
i say we start ime udoka!!!!

tp2021
11-18-2007, 01:10 PM
i think we should start barry in place of finley. it might help motivate him even more to play the way we need him to play. once he starts showing he can hit shots consistently off the bench, then elevate him back to starter, or when barry's stroke cools down. besides, having bowen out there with barry at least covers up some perimeter defensive lapses, moreso than barry and finley out there together.

SpursGO
11-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Brent Barry and Finley in a starting lineup? We'll go from best defense to worst in 1 game, even the Heat will score 120 on us if that happened.

K-State Spur
11-18-2007, 01:23 PM
get some offense going early then enter Ginobili(instant offense) and Bowen and clamp down on D.

good, we'll need to clamp down on D at that point as opposing wings will be having a free for all up to that point.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
i say we start ime udoka!!!!

At some point that might be prudent. Once Udoka starts to grasp the concept of our system and when/if Finley hits another extended slump. Come playoff time, I could see us adjusting our lineup to get Udoka going early regardless of Finley's play. But for the time being, Udoka isn't ready for extended minutes, let alone a starting role. He just needs more time.

some_user86
11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
At some point that might be prudent. Once Udoka starts to grasp the concept of our system and when/if Finley hits another extended slump. Come playoff time, I could see us adjusting our lineup to get Udoka going early regardless of Finley's play. But for the time being, Udoka isn't ready for extended minutes, let alone a starting role. He just needs more time.

Just out of curiosity, how soon does everyone expect Udoka to be able to really contribute? I want that dream lineup of Udoka, Bowen, Manu, Tony, and Tim. I think I unfairly expected too much out of Udoka, but it was hard not to after all the hype.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, how soon does everyone expect Udoka to be able to really contribute? I want that dream lineup of Udoka, Bowen, Manu, Tony, and Tim. I think I unfairly expected too much out of Udoka, but it was hard not to after all the hype.

Well, Pop really starts to shore up the rotation around the Rodeo Road Trip. The fact that Bonner was hurt around that time last year is why he was forgotten in the playoff rotation. So I'm hoping that Udoka can find his stride by that time so that we can get him in a good flow to take into the playoffs. Thats all that matters afterall: the playoffs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
He collapses whenever his stroke gets off. People are constantly worried that he is too hard on himself, and everyone has to make sure he feels better. I consider that babying.

See: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81742
If he needs he to be babied his ass doesn't need to be benched, he needs to go on the IR.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 02:08 PM
If he needs he to be babied his ass doesn't need to be benched, he needs to go on the IR.

Finley to the IR? Who would you rather be active for the game?

Texas_Ranger
11-18-2007, 02:13 PM
No!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Finley to the IR? Who would you rather be active for the game?
That was overreaction on my part, but when Horry is back, Darius and Ian will more than likely go to the IR, so I would pick Darius.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 02:23 PM
That was overreaction on my part, but when Horry is back, Darius and Ian will more than likely go to the IR, so I would pick Darius.

Theres no way I move Finley off the active list for Washington. We already have Parker, Vaughn and the Ginobili/Barry combo that can man the point in the pinch. But if you take Finley away from the wings then you only have Bowen/Gino/Barry/Udoka. Barry is known to frequently disappear in games (although, not yet this year) and Udoka is still lost in this system. If either Bowen or Gino got hurt in a game then we might have a hard time.

No, Finley stays.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Theres no way I move Finley off the active list for Washington. We already have Parker, Vaughn and the Ginobili/Barry combo that can man the point in the pinch. But if you take Finley away from the wings then you only have Bowen/Gino/Barry/Udoka. Barry is known to frequently disappear in games (although, not yet this year) and Udoka is still lost in this system. If either Bowen or Gino got hurt in a game then we might have a hard time.

No, Finley stays.
You deliver a valid point. Well done. :tu

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
You deliver a valid point. Well done. :tu

You kinda wussed out there, didn't you?! :lol

Honestly though, I do think that Finley needs to find his stride or face the bench. Barry is playing too well to continue to see fewer minutes. But sending Finley to the IR is never going to happen while hes healthy.

ChumpDumper
11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
This thread probably should have been started after Finley's 0-6 game, not after the game where he shot 7-8.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
This thread probably should have been started after Finley's 0-6 game, not after the game where he shot 7-8.

Good point. :lol

But other than last game, Finley really has been fairly underwhelming.

ChumpDumper
11-18-2007, 02:49 PM
And replacing Bruce?

:lol

Spurminator
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't see why you have to mess with the starting lineup. If Finley is cold and Barry is hot, leave Barry in longer for that game. Simple.

jay014
11-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Just changing the subject almost everyone was hugging on scolas nuts because of his two past games. Damn this guy was never a Spur and everybody goes fuckin crazy because he has a good game I wonder if you all have a box of kleenex next to your computer looking at his stats.

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
What does Scola have to do with anything?

Hemotivo
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
How many games Bowen has started with the Spurs?

has to be some kind of record, right?

AFBlue
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure what games you're watching, but Ime hasn't shown me anything to indicate that he'd be ready to contribute offensively or defensively in the near future, let alone be a starter or primary role player.

If Ime played solid D and understood the system, I'd say you had a good point....but he doesn't yet.

If Ime hit shots with regularity when left open, I'd say you had a good point...but he hasn't yet.

I'm not saying this guy will never come around, because I think he has the potential to be a regular contributor. In fact, if there was ever a guy that I think would blossom as a second-year player, it'd be this guy.

I just don't think he's worth much of anything to the Spurs right now...

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure what games you're watching, but Ime hasn't shown me anything to indicate that he'd be ready to contribute offensively or defensively in the near future, let alone be a starter or primary role player.

If Ime played solid D and understood the system, I'd say you had a good point....but he doesn't yet.

If Ime hit shots with regularity when left open, I'd say you had a good point...but he hasn't yet.

I'm not saying this guy will never come around, because I think he has the potential to be a regular contributor. In fact, if there was ever a guy that I think would blossom as a second-year player, it'd be this guy.

I just don't think he's worth much of anything to the Spurs right now...

Read my comments again. I wasn't saying this as an absolute; I admitted that Udoka is not there yet. But I'm also counting on his coming around a bit once he acclimates to the system. Still, while I am hopeful for Udoka I was hardly offering a messianic prophecy.

MagnusKrauss
11-19-2007, 04:23 AM
sidetracking a bit, was bruce already this good defensively in his first year as a spur, or did he need to adjust like everybody else? and if he did, how long did it take before he got the system?

and no, i would never start brent over bruce. i love brent's game, don't get me wrong, i started watching basketball because of him, but bruce is what makes the spurs champions. defense > offense.

elec99
11-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Bowen has to start until there's a replacement for him. Can't let the kobe's of the world get off in the first quarter. But I'd like to see what happens if he starts in place of Finley, like someone had mentioned. Defenses can be a bit lack-luster in the beginning of many games, and if he can drop in two 3s then that would be worth it.

Hell, he could get his season average in a matter of minutes, anything else would be gravy. :hungry: