PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for J. Vaughn!!

Punkkboy44
11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow..awesome game for him against the Rockets..zero points and zero assists in 15 minutes of PT...I SAID THIS LAST YEAR..POP..BENCH THIS GUY NOW!!!!!!!! D. Wash should get PT ahead of 60 year old Vaughn.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
A few days late and his first game this season. Nicely done.

Behrooz24
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
But he has veteran leadership :rolleyes

Hemotivo
11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Vaughn > D-Wash

SenorSpur
11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Pop doesn't trust rookies - even if they have superior ability than his grizzled vets

SequSpur
11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
J Vaughn sucks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Everything has to be black and white apparently. :rolleyes

Vaughn was solid as hell last playoffs, his jumper has improved, he hustles his arse off and he doesn't make many mistakes. Give him a few games to get back up to speed, and if he's still sucking it up then Wash comes back in.

No need to slate him after one game...

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I like the idea of giving Vaughn a chance to keep his spot while you send Washington down to Austin to get a good chunk of PT and back in the groove of running a team again.

In a few weeks, let the actual competition begin. Vaughn should be back on his game and Washington should be primed as well. Winner takes all....for the time being at least.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I think Washington will end up taking the backup spot away from Vaughn... but pops thinking is that Vaughn can't lose his spot due to injury

Walter Craparita
11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I hope Washington beats him out.

Nothing against Vaughn though.

K-State Spur
11-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm not a huge Vaughn fan (partially because he's a jayhawk, but I digress...)

But the weird thing is that so many people HATE vaughn and yet so many people still have a LOVE for Speedy Claxton. However, they both basically gave this team the same thing.

pjjrfan
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Vaughn is steady, and won't try to do more than he can, Washinton has talent but he has been herky jerky in his play and has made mental mistakes and he tries to do to much, I think he has gotten worse at running the team, and I like Vaughn in there getting the ball to the right guys.

sribb43
11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Vaughn and Washington are not the answers at backup PG, Ginobili is a better PG than either guy

AFBlue
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I like the idea of giving Vaughn a chance to keep his spot while you send Washington down to Austin to get a good chunk of PT and back in the groove of running a team again.

Agreed here.

Additional thoughts....

Vaughn may not win any games with his play but he certainly won't lose any.

If the Spurs start struggling to get offense from their backcourt, maybe Washington would serve them better to be in the rotation than Vaughn, but right now Vaughn plays within himself and brings strong defensive intensity.

Bottom Line: Let D-Wash get some PT as the primary scorer and distributor for a team. Let him gain more confidence. By the time All-Star break comes around, let him rejoin the team and compete for the backup PG minutes.

What's the rush?

Tek_XX
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree Vaughn is ok if you want to play it safe. Washington can be very aggresive, which sometimes pays off and sometimes not.

T Park
11-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Said this last year?

You wanted Beno Udrih to be the backup?

Darkwaters
11-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not so concerned about Washington running the reserve unit. While his lack of experience in controlling the game looks daunting, most players don't have Manu Ginobili playing back there with them. I think Manu could seriously help to manage the game, keeping Darius under control and teaching him. And if the game is under control I think it's hard to say that Washington isn't better than Vaughn.

Still, Washington will have to win the job from Jacque...but Vaughn will have to deserve it and is by no means the de facto backup.

dwashfan
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
We have only seen a sneak peek at what DWash is capable of doing. He needs more minutes to develop into his full potential. The stats don't lie...and look at the excitement and energy DWash brings to the game. I think it is a mistake to send DWash to the Toros. He needs to train and learn from the team. This is a guy that lead his team in Europe last year and has a history of being a great PG.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
This is a guy that lead his team in EuropeThe Czech team? That's pretty close to the D-League level if not lower.

He needs to have is game reined in and his decision making improved. The Toros are a much better option because he will have much more practice time in the system and playing time in actual games. I'm pretty high on his upside but Darius simply doesn't play at the level of regular backup for a championship team. I think he will reach that level quicker by spending a few months in Austin. As Phat Tony said, there's no rush.

hsxvvd
11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes, Vaughn is done... 1 game back from injury, it's all over.

We clearly need Beno back! :lol

Extra Stout
11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
You would think that after seeing how Pop coaches over the course of a season for a full decade now, Spurs fans might have some clue about how young players get groomed.

Bruno
11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Some fans have a short memory, for the first time since 2003, Spurs had a reliable backup PG last year.
Vaughn isn't the better backup PG of the world but he is know what his job is and he do it steadily.
Washington could be in the future a better backup PG than Vaughn but it's not the case for the moment. Getting some experience in D-League won't hurt him.

The Truth #6
11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe the FO is already too embarrassed for giving away Scola and drafting a guy who got cut from the D league. Benching Vaughn (after giving him a 3 year extension?) might be too much for them to admit to.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe Vaughn is more experienced and reliable and the FO are planning on sending Darius to Austin to improve his game.

Taco
11-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Wow..awesome game for him against the Rockets..zero points and zero assists in 15 minutes of PT...I SAID THIS LAST YEAR..POP..BENCH THIS GUY NOW!!!!!!!! D. Wash should get PT ahead of 60 year old Vaughn.

Jacque Vaughn 1st game back is a lot like this Thread you started

SHAKEY, SUCKY & NOT VERY GOOD, but give him time, the rust will wear off he’ll get better , just like you as a Poster, with time you too will get better.

Remember we are not looking for points from Jacque just good leadership.

Jimcs50
11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Said this last year?

You wanted Beno Udrih to be the backup?

Beno is averaging 14 pts and 4 assists and 3 rebs on 48% shooting this year in 5 games played.

I said all along that he should have been the Spurs backup, and he was never really given half a chance by Pop...now we are stuck with Vaughn. :bang

cherylsteele
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
If this forum was like the NBA, I would say bench you because of this one post.

Like many people have stated, JV is steady if unspectacular in getting the job done, he did it this last year. I think DWash is trying too hard to impress Pop and is making more and more mistakes doing it. He needs to slow down, and play within himself and learn to know when to "turn it on" so-to-speak.

remingtonbo2001
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I think Pop will keep Vaughn as the primary backup until Feburary. Then D-Wash should come up and add a little bit of variety. When we need conservative leadership, Pop will put in Vaughn. If the Spurs need a jolt, D-Wash will enter. Pop loves to crunch those matchups.