PDA

View Full Version : A long-three that the Spurs should consider for the future?

SenorSpur
11-19-2007, 04:29 AM
As many of us forum experts continue to help the Spurs for the answer to their search for the so-called "Derrick McKey", long 3 question, consider the following possibility:

http://www.knickerblogger.net/2007/11/07/renaldo-balkman-for-dpoy-oh-yeah-and-knicks-119-denver-112/

Renaldo Balkman For DPOY
November 7th, 2007 by Mike K.

I like to see myself as a person that’s grounded. Someone that doesn’t get exceedingly excited on trivial matters, or get swept up by things that are over hyped. I think I’m a realist, and from the feedback I get I’m probably right on that issue. Some people think I’m too liberal with my assessment of the team (and Isiah Thomas). On the other hand I’ve been called a Knick-hater by the most loyal of the orange and blue.

So I say this with all seriousness: Renaldo Balkman could win “Defensive Player of the Year” one day.

Last night’s Knick game started as a clinic on how not to play defense. The halftime score was 66-60 Denver, and neither team seemed interested in stopping their opponent. The Knicks shot 60%eFG, only to be topped by the Nuggets at 61.5%. New York did turn the ball over 12 times, but most of it was throwing the ball away, easily seen by Denver’s 4 steals. Barely noticed on the stat sheet was Renaldo Balkman, who played just over 5 minutes. He only scored 2 points, and had a +/- of -6 (thank you NBA for keeping track of that in real time). By the end of the game, Balkman had 11 points and 4 rebounds in 27 minutes. Hardly game changing stats. But make no mistake about it, Renaldo Balkman gave New York the keys to victory.

Balkman spent most of the second half defending against Linas Kleiza and Carmelo Anthony. Kleiza had torched the Knicks in the first half, hitting all 5 of his attempts, 2 from beyond the arc. In the second half, he shot only 3-8. Balkman used his closing speed and long reach to force Kleiza into two bad three point attempts, blocking one of them near the end of the third quarter.

Knick fans know the team has serious issues preventing opponents from scoring from downtown. In their first two games, the Knicks allowed the opposition to shoot greater than 50% from three. Last night, Denver started off hot from downtown, nailing 5 of 6. But with Balkman playing 22 minutes in the second half, Denver managed only 1 of 10 three pointers. Balkman has amazing quickness to recover to the outside, phenomenal leaping ability, and superb length. I don’t think I’ve seen many defenders that can reach the outside and block the shot of an open shooter standing behind the arc. Bruce Bowen can’t do it. Ron Artest can’t either. The only comparison I have is Andrei Kirilenko. It’s funny because at some point last year KnickerBlogger writer, and USC employee, Dave Crockett received flack for using the same comparison. Watching Balkman, the analogy is apt.

But Balkman isn’t just your run-of-the-mill skinny shot blocker. Balkman’s most impressive work of the second half was on Carmelo Anthony. Due primarily to the work of Balkman, Anthony shot 2-9 in the second half with 3 turnovers. Against Anthony, Balkman bodied him up, usually on the blocks, and forced him into uncomfortable situations. Balkman blocked one of Carmelo’s layups in the third quarter, and forced Anthony to cough the ball up with a critical charging call in the fourth quarter. The latter play was partially due to Marbury reaching for the ball, but Balkman anticipated the spot Anthony would turn to and hit the floor convincingly when contact was made. It was the type of play that Artest or Bowen excel at. Strong physical defense combined with the intelligence to know when to hit the floor.

Good defensive players usually excel at only one area of defense. There are the skinny shot blockers like Kirilenko, Camby, and Gadzuric who aren’t physical enough to be effective man defenders. On the other hand there are good man defenders that don’t block shots well, such as Jason Collins, Bruce Bowen, and Kurt Thomas. However Balkman seems to encompass both attributes, which makes him a particularly strong defender. If he can ever get enough minutes and stay healthy, I could see Balkman could competing for a DPOY.

In case anyone is wondering, Balkman is listed at 6'8", 208.

hoopdreams11
11-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Maybe when Isaiah gets fired we can pick him up in the fire sale that will occur.

ChumpDumper
11-19-2007, 04:35 AM
In case anyone is wondering, Balkman is listed at 6'8", 208. He measured 6'6.5" in shoes at draft camp. Decent wingspan though.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2007, 05:05 AM
never take any news comin from eastern teams..they tend to boast alot about there roster players...to the point its not even funny....

mystargtr34
11-19-2007, 05:42 AM
He measured 6'6.5" in shoes at draft camp. Decent wingspan though.

Thats good height... thats a legit 6'8" in NBA terms :lol considering Carmelo Anthony is also 6'6.5" without shoes (or is 6'6.25") and LeBron is 6'7". His long wingspan and standing reach make a perfect build for a defensive stopper... good luck getting him though.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
you really think his going to stop the likes of carmelo, lebron? they are around 240lbs will just overpower them to the hoop and throw up a miracle hope it goes in over duncan

mystargtr34
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
you really think his going to stop the likes of carmelo, lebron? they are around 240lbs will just overpower them to the hoop and throw up a miracle hope it goes in over duncan

I didnt compare Balkman to those guys like that...my point was that 6'6.5" without shoes is a good NBA height for a 2/3 ... by pointing out that Melo and LeBron arent actually 6'8" without shoes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I'd be happy to take him off of Isiah's hands.

pad300
11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I'd love him. But, NOT EVEN THE KNICKS ARE DUMB ENOUGH TO DUMP BALKMAN!!

exstatic
11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Pop always talks about a Derrick McKey type of player when he mentions his coveted "long three". McKey was 6'10" 240 and could lock down anyone from a 2 to a 4, positionally, on defense. He was also a very efficient player on O, hitting a career 48% FGs and 32% from downtown. While I think Balkman could fit in SA, he's NOT the "long three" that the Spurs want, any more than 6'5" Ime Udoka is. Think: Robert Horry, but younger.

Holt's Cat
11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I'd take a 33 year old Malik Rose bought out by the Knicks at this point.

phxspurfan
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Long 3 thread!

mathbzh
11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Trade for Batum in the next draft.
6'8 (sometime listed at 6'9) with huge wingspan great athletism and skills.
He has good shooting mechanics and someday should become a decent 3pt shooter.

demosthenes247
11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I remember when the Knicks drafted this guy, the announcers jokingly said that the Knicks must have mistaken him for Rolando Blackman.

exstatic
11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Trade for Batum in the next draft.
6'8 (sometime listed at 6'9) with huge wingspan great athletism and skills.
He has good shooting mechanics and someday should become a decent 3pt shooter.
He's projected at #8 overall. Spurs cannot get up that high without giving up one of the Big Three.

Next idea.

FirebatMIV
11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
He's projected at #8 overall. Spurs cannot get up that high without giving up one of the Big Three.

Next idea.

Viktor Claver?
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Victor-Claver-336/

ThomasGranger
11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Viktor Sanikidze?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Viktor Sanikidze?
Yup. :smokin

TheProfessor
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Next idea.
Marcus Dove (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Dove-1084/)

exstatic
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm doubting the "long three" will come via future draft. The clock on Tim is ticking at 5 years. It would take too long to develop one who would fall that far (late 20s pick), and we can't really move up. I'd watch the DLeague, and younger players already in the NBA, but getting no burn.

mountainballer
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
I didnt compare Balkman to those guys like that...my point was that 6'6.5" without shoes is a good NBA height for a 2/3 ... by pointing out that Melo and LeBron arent actually 6'8" without shoes.

??
Balkman is 6'5.25 without shoes and 6'6.5 with shoes.
(the 6-8 on nba.com is the typical measurement fake)
that's undersized, even for a SF.
(Lebron is 6'7.25 without shoes and 245 lbs)
considering that he has the game of a PF, it is totally undersized.
considering that he is about 208, he is also undersized in this department.
considering that he absolutly can't shoot to save his live, he also fails in the department, that is a basic quality of a Spurs wing.
he plays with intensity, is a good defender and seems to be a great guy overall, but he is far from being an option for the Spurs SF of the future.

AFBlue
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Ryan Gomes for Long 3/Small Ball 4....

WalterBenitez
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
When TD were 35 and Manu 33 this team will have great bench, Tony would be up (probably divorced :D ) and we will need good players to keep reaching playoffs

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Spurs long 3 should be S.Williams, from the Pacers

exstatic
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Spurs long 3 should be S.Williams, from the Pacers
Nice, but they look like they're slotting him for rotation time. His minutes have increased from 12 last year as a rook to 21 this year. Not likely to be able to pry him away. If they were to get into cap jail, however...

He'll be eligible for an extension in 2009 and restricted in 2010. That's a little long to wait.

thispego
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
When TD were 35 and Manu 33 this team will have great bench, Tony would be up (probably divorced :D ) and we will need good players to keep reaching playoffs
you are a fucking dumbass

exstatic
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
My two "underutilized" NBA players, and admittedly, neither is really "long" for the three position are:

James Jones - 6'8" 220. He's in his 4th year, and not really being utilized in Portland, playing only 3 games. He's shown bits and pieces of his game, good rebounding for size, or at least much better than Bowen, some good 3pt shooting, but his shot or shot selection needs work. He's 27. Maybe Kevin P will help us out, or maybe he takes his player option next summer.

Trevor Ariza - 6'8" 210. Caught in a numbers game in Orlando, after they stupidly threw a wad of cash at Rashard Lewis. He's currently getting about 11 minutes, per. Career, he averages 3.6 rebounds in 18.5 minutes, excellent for his height and build. He's a good defender and athlete, but has no real 3 point shot. Hard to believe, but he's still just 22.

AFBlue
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
My two "underutilized" NBA players, and admittedly, neither is really "long" for the three position are:

Trevor Ariza - 6'8" 210. Caught in a numbers game in Orlando, after they stupidly threw a wad of cash at Rashard Lewis. He's currently getting about 11 minutes, per. Career, he averages 3.6 rebounds in 18.5 minutes, excellent for his height and build. He's a good defender and athlete, but has no real 3 point shot. Hard to believe, but he's still just 22.

This is a kid that reminds me alot of Gerald Wallace. He's wiry strong, extremely athletic, and finds ways to score despite having an underdeveloped jumpshot.

I think this kid has alot of upside and could be a good addition.

Having said that, he wouldn't be ready to contribute right away to a championship calibur team.

I think I'd still rather go with Gomes, who has the size to play the 4 in small ball sets and who you know can be reliable on both ends of the court....even if he's never going to be an all star.

exstatic
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
This is a kid that reminds me alot of Gerald Wallace. He's wiry strong, extremely athletic, and finds ways to score despite having an underdeveloped jumpshot.

I think this kid has alot of upside and could be a good addition.

Having said that, he wouldn't be ready to contribute right away to a championship calibur team.

I think I'd still rather go with Gomes, who has the size to play the 4 in small ball sets and who you know can be reliable on both ends of the court....even if he's never going to be an all star.
It'll be interesting to see what Minny does with him next summer. He obviously played better in Boston, where he was just a piece of the puzzle. On a team with no stars, he's struggling with his FG%.

AFBlue
11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Minny does with him next summer. He obviously played better in Boston, where he was just a piece of the puzzle. On a team with no stars, he's struggling with his FG%.

Honestly I'd be happy with either.

But I wouldn't be suprised if both Barry and Finley were brought back for pennies on the dollar on two-year contracts with the second year being only partially guaranteed or a team option.

We'll see though....

SenorSpur
11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Wow!. Didn't know Ariza was still that young.

As for Gomes, I've never seen him play, so I don't know how he stacks up against the likes of Arizam, Jones or Balkman. I do know that Kevin McHale is hell bent on creating cap space for next season. Seeing as how he's starting over, it makes sense. Would he be amenable toward trading Gomes?

AFBlue
11-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow!. Didn't know Ariza was still that young.

As for Gomes, I've never seen him play, so I don't know how he stacks up against the likes of Arizam, Jones or Balkman. I do know that Kevin McHale is hell bent on creating cap space for next season. Seeing as how he's starting over, it makes sense. Would he be amenable toward trading Gomes?

Gomes is a FA at the end of this year, and though he's a third year player, he isn't necessarily "young". I just mean, he doesn't have incredible upside. With Gomes, what you see is what you get. And I'm not sure McHale is looking for that with his "young" squad.

He plays with good intensity, has a good inside game, developing outside game, and good bbiq.

But...he's not great at any one thing and about the only thing he can improve on is his 3pt shooting....right now his comfort zone is the "long 2".

As DW alluded to, Gomes hasn't played his best ball when given the starting role and a good number of minutes, though he hasn't played poorly either.

He's a classic role player for a good/great team. He fits the bill for Long 3/Small Ball 4 at 6'7 and 250lbs with a 7'2 wingspan.

I just really like what he has to offer for a Spurs team that will be chasing the title for the foreseeable future...

mystargtr34
11-19-2007, 11:07 PM
??
Balkman is 6'5.25 without shoes and 6'6.5 with shoes.
(the 6-8 on nba.com is the typical measurement fake)
that's undersized, even for a SF.
(Lebron is 6'7.25 without shoes and 245 lbs)
considering that he has the game of a PF, it is totally undersized.
considering that he is about 208, he is also undersized in this department.
considering that he absolutly can't shoot to save his live, he also fails in the department, that is a basic quality of a Spurs wing.
he plays with intensity, is a good defender and seems to be a great guy overall, but he is far from being an option for the Spurs SF of the future.
Ohhh my bad i didnt bother to check. 6'6.5" WITH shoes?