PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: Rooting against the Hawks

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2007/11/jeff_mcdonald_r_1.html

Jeff McDonald: Rooting against the Hawks
In general, NBA players tend to keep their basketball allegiances outside of their own teams to themselves. Matt Bonner, for instance, grew up in New England and talks often about his beloved Patriots and Red Sox.

I've never heard him mention whether he grew up liking the Celtics, although I suspect he did.

So it was a little bit interesting last week when the entire Spurs locker room was united against the Atlanta Hawks.

Moments after the Spurs had finished off the Rockets on Friday night, they gathered in a private portion of their dressing room to watch the thrilling conclusion of the Hawks-Sonics overtime epic.

When Kevin Durant hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to win the game for Seattle, a raucous roar went up in the Spurs' locker room.

Frankly, the Spurs' reaction had nothing to do with the Hawks, their opponent coming up on Tuesday.
It had everything to do with P.J. Carlesimo, the former Spurs' assistant who now coaches the Sonics.

Apparently, he still has quite a few friends in the Spurs' locker room. Those friends celebrated Carlesimo's second Seattle victory for him.

MoSpur
11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
That was an awesome shot by the rookie. Big props to Durant.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
So what exactly does Bonner have to do with the second half of the article?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
And I wonder who Chumpdumper will be rooting for. :stirpot:

jmard5
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM

That, I was also wondering about. :lol

carina_gino20
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM

trying to play up the real story, although he could've deleted it and we wouldn't have missed anything. :lol

Spurs Dynasty 21
11-19-2007, 09:02 PM

thinking the same thing, but good to see PJ still loved by the Spurs

fyatuk
11-20-2007, 08:34 AM

It was just setting up that players rarely show they are a fan of whatever team, using Bonner as an example because he talks a lot about the Pats and Sox, but not the Celts, apparently.

The entire passage about that attitude was just a mood setter to contrast the jubilation shown at the Carlesimo winning.