PDA

View Full Version : Rogue cell phone dials 911 over and over again

MaNuMaNiAc
11-19-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/11/19/rogue.cell.phone.ap/index.html

WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) -- A rogue cell phone is not accepting calls, but it sure likes to dial 911 operators in eastern Iowa.

Operators at the Black Hawk County Consolidated Communications Center said that they received about 400 calls from the same cell phone last week and that no one seems to be on the other line.

"That's it right now," said Dispatcher Chuck Hosier, as a phone rang in the background. "It will ring in, and it's an open line. Sometimes it rings in and drops off."

Officials can't locate the phone but have figured out that it is an old line not currently associated with a cell phone provider. Such phones, once charged up, can still place 911 calls under Federal Communications Commission rules set in 1994.

The cell phone can't receive calls, and emergency workers haven't been able to track the owner through service records, either.

"With this, we are pretty helpless," said Judy Flores, the center's administrative supervisor.

Officials are suspicious that it could be a prank -- but they say it's not funny and potentially dangerous.

Until the source of the calls is found or they stop, dispatchers still have to answer every call just in case someone is on the line with an emergency.
spooky...

LuvBones
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Ew, that is eerie! 400 times in one week?!

desflood
11-20-2007, 09:53 AM
You just know that eventually they're going to find that phone on a body hidden somewhere.

The sone
11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
se7en.....

its the sin of technology....thats one of them right?

Melmart1
11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
You just know that eventually they're going to find that phone on a body hidden somewhere.
Wouldn't it have run out of battery a long time ago, then? It only works if its charged. That's why there is nothing spooky about this. It is clearly a setup or prank of some sort.

phyzik
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
my co-worker has a mentally handicapped relative that calls the fire department at least once a day in Michigan. They know him by name now. The mtoher tries to keep track of him but it cant be done 24/7 so he sneaks a call in here and there.

spurster
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
You think they would be able to triangulate the signal.

AZLouis
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
This must be the Jack Bauer of prank phone callers.

exstatic
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
You think they would be able to triangulate the signal.
Triangulate, my ass. Don't these things have a GPS chip?

MaNuMaNiAc
11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't it have run out of battery a long time ago, then? It only works if its charged. That's why there is nothing spooky about this. It is clearly a setup or prank of some sort.
I bet you're no fun on Halloween

Melmart1
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I bet you're no fun on Halloween
Yeah, I don't scare very easily on Halloween :lol When I go to scary movies I rarely jump and usually laugh. But, I am good at scaring others :devil