PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Spurs' spouses love, honor and skirmish

some_user86
11-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Buck Harvey: Spurs' spouses love, honor and skirmish

Web Posted: 11/19/2007 10:41 PM CST

Buck Harvey
San Antonio Express-News

Their marriage has been successful, and it has been rocky. They've celebrated the best of times, and they've bickered as if divorce were possible.
They've done it for more than a decade, which is why Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford likely will stay together a while longer. They are used to each other.

But recent days also suggest they will have a few more things to argue about. Luis Scola showed the Spurs what they had given to Houston, and Beno Udrih showed what Spurs' scouts always thought was possible.

If the Spurs weren't fine right now — with a healthy roster in place to defend a championship — would Popovich and Buford require some counseling?

Money can affect any marriage, and Peter Holt's lack of it does. He ranks at the bottom of NBA owners in personal wealth, with an estimated worth of merely $30 million. Popovich and Buford work within his budget.

That's why moving Jackie Butler meant so much last summer. They had made a mistake on him, and they needed to trade the $5 million they owed him.

The Knicks eat contracts of that size for snacks between depositions. To Holt, everything matters, which is ultimately why the Spurs traded Scola to Houston. The Rockets were the only ones willing to take on Butler's contract.

Popovich had to be talked into the deal because it violated one of his rules: Never help a rival.

Shortly after, Scola starred in Vegas in Olympic qualifying, and another of Popovich's rules had been broken: Never make him mad.

The issue subsided when Scola didn't do much to start the season. But then Tracy McGrady went down to injury, and the Rockets began to pass, and Scola put up 20 points against the Spurs last week.

It's early, and the Spurs won the game. But Scola had been everything Popovich loves. He'd been active and tough, and making 10 of 11 shots didn't hurt, either.

Afterward, Popovich praised Scola, which is typical. But then Popovich said something else. "It kills me to have him on that team," Popovich said. "Enough to make you spit."

It was if Popovich was talking to Buford through the media. But his spit-prompting frustration confused. After all, doesn't Popovich have ultimate say in the franchise?

In this marriage, he does and he doesn't. Buford flies around the world, does the research, scouts the talent — and Popovich is often on the outside with no recourse but to second-guess.

Conversely, Buford is as helpless on the other end. Once Spurs coaches take the players to the gym, Buford has little control for what follows.

Udrih, for example, looked like another international find as a rookie. The Spurs wondered if he was not only their best passer, but also their best shooter. When he was on the floor, they often said, the game made more sense.

Then came the 2005 Finals, when the Pistons barely let Udrih across midcourt. By the end of that series Popovich had lost all confidence in him, and the next season Popovich chose to lean on a wobbly Nick Van Exel.

Popovich has since said he could have done a few things differently with Udrih. He also never quit trying to make it work. Just last summer, for example, he went to various players for ideas.

Was there something he could be doing to better connect?

There wasn't. Udrih wasn't a Spur by Popovich's definition. Udrih had displayed more talent than heart, and Popovich prefers someone with the opposite combination, such as Jacque Vaughn.

Then Udrih broke out Sunday night, sticking 23 points on the same Pistons who had tortured him before. With 2:10 left in Sacramento's win, Udrih did more than score. He stepped in front of Chauncey Billups to draw a game- changing charge.

As it is with Scola, it's early. Udrih, in November instead of June, played loose for a team without expectations.

Still, Popovich and Buford will have a few things to say to each other, and they will argue, and they will plan to talk again tomorrow.

Just as an old married couple would.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112007.HarveyColumn.en.28ce78f.html

some_user86
11-20-2007, 12:32 AM
This was a good read. :tu

duncan228
11-20-2007, 12:34 AM
It was a good read.
It must be like a marriage. They spend so much time together and they're responsible for their "baby," the team.
As long as they keep any big battles behind closed doors I'll be happy.

Mr. Body
11-20-2007, 12:35 AM
The Scola trade was insanely stupid. Was then, still is. I don't give a shit about Jackie Butler - and a businessman like Peter Holt should recognize burning a terrific asset to get rid of a middling liability is stupid business.

But what kind of businessman is he?

Udrih I don't give a crap about, but the Scola trade was braindead.

some_user86
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Well, the question I have is, would the Spurs have brought him in this year? Because if not, I think I read that he was ready to sign a multi-year extension with Tau in the summer and spend his career in Europe. So I don't think Scola would have ever been a Spur. But yes, it was dumb to trade him to a divisional rival. The best thing to do was to trade him to the Eastern Conference.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Nice article by Buck.

How can Holt be the Spurs' controlling owner if he's only worth 30mil? The franchise is probably worth $350-$400mil, so where's the rest of the money?

The Scola trade was insanely stupid. Was then, still is. I don't give a shit about Jackie Butler - and a businessman like Peter Holt should recognize burning a terrific asset to get rid of a middling liability is stupid business.

Totally agree. Scola should be a Spur, and letting a few million get in the way of that is short-sighted. However, with Splitter and Mahinmi waiting in the wings, it may not be so atrocious a mistake, as long as they pan out.

Must be frustrating for Pop to look at a situation like the Knicks who suck but will spend anything Isaiah asks, while he coaches the best team of the last decade and can't get them to throw 3mil per at Scola (how much was he paid by the Rockets?).

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2007, 01:21 AM

But what kind of businessman is he?

Udrih I don't give a crap about, but the Scola trade was braindead.

Scola trade hurted us, but we need to get rid of butler....

Udrih only fuckd up on one series in that years finals against the pistons only, he was superb against the nuggets, sonics, sunss...so pop goes out and base his play on 1 series and fuckd up on udrih in the second year by signing a over the milleage chucker NVE, its great when he makes shots, but its not great when he does the same play all over again and misses....I blame both parties on this, udrih shouldve workd harder toget the backup position back from NVE.

I REALLY hope udrih exposes pop when the kings play the spurs

SenorSpur
11-20-2007, 02:37 AM
It was a good read. The problem with the Scola trade -other than helping out an in-division state rival - is they got absolutely nothing of substance in return -other than salary cap space. It would been nice if they would've wrestled away someone like Chuck Hayes.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Pop seems to be laying the groundwork for who catches the blame in case the Scola trade ultimately bites them hard.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-20-2007, 02:49 AM
Good read. This article reminds me of Some of luddens old PR articles.

slayermin
11-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Imo, losing Udrih and Scola isn't as bad as losing Jack and Speedy.

We would have been a monster in '04 if we could have kept those two.

timvp
11-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Trading Scola to a divisional rival for nothing was about the most anti CIA Pop move possible. The Pop I know would have sat on those rights and either forced Scola to come cheaper or let Scola rot in Europe. Gifting the Rockets doesn't compute and was obviously a RC Buford move. Buford probably hated Butler partly because Butler was brought aboard mostly on the advice of Larry Brown and not the internal team scouts.

Buford loves to hang onto his personal projects too long (for example: Udrih, Beno; Sanders, Melvin; Dial, Derrick). That's why I was rather proud of him for biting the bullet on Marcus Williams and admitting he sucked. Buford of the past would have fought to keep him around for years and years while wasting a roster spot in the process.

wildchild
11-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I REALLY hope udrih exposes pop when the kings play the spurs

REALLY are you a Spurs fan?

I don't desire the worst for my head coach or my team. Never.

Spurs>>>>>>>Beno, Scola or any player on the world.

The TEAM before that names!.

1Parker1
11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't think it was so much the fact that they couldn't get Scola to sign with them as is the fact that they traded him away to help out a divisional rival. That's like us giving Oberto to the Mavs, it just doesn't make any sense....

Findog
11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Does this mean Pop and Buford soap each other's cocks and feed each other baklava?

my2sons
11-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Imo, losing Udrih and Scola isn't as bad as losing Jack and Speedy.

We would have been a monster in '04 if we could have kept those two.

what has speedy done since the trade. tyron lue is getting more minutes than speedy.

ArgSpursFan.
11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't think it was so much the fact that they couldn't get Scola to sign with them as is the fact that they traded him away to help out a divisional rival. That's like us giving Oberto to the Mavs, it just doesn't make any sense....

They just didn't think Scola's game could translate well to the NBA,plain a simple.
And the Rockets took the gamble coze they had nothing to loose anyways, and Scola costed them NOTHING. :depressed (unfuckingbelievable)
It was a stupid move,that's all.

maxpower
11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
In the end, did Scola's asking price play any part in him being shipped off in order to unload butler's contract?

In a way, but not of it's own worth.

I can't see the Front Office giving away Scola for a contract(given to him by Rockets) paying him less then Bonner(read it on an earlier article).

Unfortunately Scola's earlier problems with the FO made him the expendable asset needed to move Butler.

In essence the FO traded away the combination of Butler and Scola's(future) contract which I imagine would amount to over 10-12 mil per year plus luxury tax.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice article by Buck.

How can Holt be the Spurs' controlling owner if he's only worth 30mil? The franchise is probably worth $350-$400mil, so where's the rest of the money?

My guess is that the $30 mil figure is the total of his assets excluding his interest in Spurs Sports & Entertainment LLC.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Pop seems to be laying the groundwork for who catches the blame in case the Scola trade ultimately bites them hard.

Seems like it.

As for Udrih, I don't think there's much to blame anyone within the Spurs' organization. He was a good pick at #28. He had the talent and the coaching staff tried to make it work. The goal is to win, not to find a way to coddle talented, yet unfocused and undedicated young players.

If Udrih had Vaughn's sense of professionalism or Washington's heart and desire he'd be one of the better 6th men in the league and a mainstay on the Spurs.

ploto
11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
To Holt, everything matters, which is ultimately why the Spurs traded Scola to Houston. The Rockets were the only ones willing to take on Butler's contract.

Popovich had to be talked into the deal because it violated one of his rules: Never help a rival...

Afterward, Popovich praised Scola, which is typical. But then Popovich said something else. "It kills me to have him on that team," Popovich said. "Enough to make you spit."

Udrih, for example, looked like another international find as a rookie. The Spurs wondered if he was not only their best passer, but also their best shooter. When he was on the floor, they often said, the game made more sense.

Popovich has since said he could have done a few things differently with Udrih. He also never quit trying to make it work. Just last summer, for example, he went to various players for ideas...
I have tried to tell people that Holt is more involved than they realize.

Guess all those who claimed Beno did not have any talent can eat their words today.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:28 AM

They won't listen.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Guess all those who claimed Beno did not have any talent can eat their words today.

I don't believe many have felt that he lacked talent, but rather that he lacked the dedication and desire to be a San Antonio Spur.

ArgSpursFan.
11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

I never saw anybody saying Beno didn't have any talent.
Actually everybody said that Beno was very talented.
Works ethic and Desire to get better is what most posters here were complaining about.

Bruno
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I can't see the Front Office giving away Scola for a contract(given to him by Rockets) paying him less then Bonner(read it on an earlier article).

Scola's contract is bigger than Bonner's one : Scola costs $10M/3 years (including $500K given directly to Tau) while Bonner costs $9M/3 years.

And saying things like Spurs get nothing for Scola or that Houston didn't give up something for Scola is just false. Money isn't nothing in nba, you had to consider the financial/business part of the nba.

I'm not saying that the Scola's trade was a good one (I didn't like it) and I'm not defending it but you have to look at the whole picture before judging it.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
What remains to be seen is what the Spurs do with the 'flexibility' they gained with that horrid trade. They will need to find a replacement swingman soon with Finley and Barry nearing the end of their careers and their contracts ending after this season.

ArgSpursFan.
11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
well,the Rockets are better with Scola tham without him.
And that´s bad business for the spurs.

WalterBenitez
11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
"But recent days also suggest they will have a few more things to argue about. Luis Scola showed the Spurs what they had given to Houston, and Beno Udrih showed what Spurs' scouts always thought was possible."

I have mixed emotions about them (Luis and Beno), I'd like they could get what they deserve, :king but at the next second I don't care since they aren't in spurs uniform anymore. :nerd

Scola Trade
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Scola's contract is bigger than Bonner's one : Scola costs $10M/3 years (including $500K given directly to Tau) while Bonner costs $9M/3 years.

WTF :wtf. The difference is only what? $1M/3 yrs.
And we got rid Butler for what to re-signed another scrub for 3 yrs (Bonner).

ploto
11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I never saw anybody saying Beno didn't have any talent.
Actually everybody said that Beno was very talented
You must have not been paying attention There was a whole thread where people kept coming in and saying they never saw any NBA level talent in Beno.

picnroll
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I've watched most of Beno's games with the Kings and I'm still not impressed.

SpurOutofTownFan
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
There was a slim chance to have Scola as a Spur. That's the truth. I'm sure they tried everything they could without dismantling or jeopardizing what they currently have and future plans. The buyout clause was the main obstacle and then Scola was about to get an extension which would have meant the end of his possibility to ever come to the US. At the end of the day, they had to release him and create some room for the future. Yes, a direct opponent now has him on its roster but on the other hand you maintain yours and create a better situation for the future.

All the talks about how good he is (which he is) and that being bad for the spurs is BS, look at Boston now and other teams. Those things you can't prevent and there are there. The Scola situation was just very difficult and I'm sure they thought it out very well. If you don't believe me just watch what the rockets GM said about everything.

BeerIsGood!
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Beno has talent, but the sample size with the Kings is too small right now, and the chances of that team actually playing a meaningful game this season is really low. I think he would choke if he actually found himself in a meaningful game.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Does this mean Pop and Buford soap each other's cocks and feed each other baklava?No, you've got it backwards; it's the Mavs who've been copying the Spurs.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Guess all those who claimed Beno did not have any talent can eat their words today.Yes, why don't you link all those threads where people said Beno did not have any talent?

timvp
11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
:lol 99% of Spurs fans have said all along that Beno has talent. There were two maybe three Spurs fans that said they didn't see the talent.

That's why moving Jackie Butler meant so much last summer. They had made a mistake on him, and they needed to trade the $5 million they owed him.
The Spurs owed him $2.3M. The $2.7M third year of the contract was unguaranteed.

thekingrobert
11-20-2007, 05:36 PM
best for scola and udrich

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Everything else on the side of the FO is just rationalizing a screw up, by the division rival part alone. I'm actually glad Pop is displeased on their mistake, shows they're self-aware, and not deluded in hindsight.

Money can affect any marriage, and Peter Holt's lack of it does. He ranks at the bottom of NBA owners in personal wealth, with an estimated worth of merely $30 million. Popovich and Buford work within his budget.

:huh Can anyone clarify if that's a typo or not?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
:huh Can anyone clarify if that's a typo or not?
That's correct. Holt is one broke ass bitch.

ArgSpursFan.
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
You must have not been paying attention There was a whole thread where people kept coming in and saying they never saw any NBA level talent in Beno.
^
Ploto,Most spurs fans were pissed at Beno actually because everybody knew He was VERY talented.
When you know a guy can play,and dont do much about getting better and getting with the system,of course it's gonna piss everybody off.
Beno needs to grow up,that's the bottonline.Maybe finding a good wife would help him out as far as work ethics go and trying to get to the next level.
I wish him well with the Kings though.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
The Spurs owed him $2.3M. The $2.7M third year of the contract was unguaranteed.

http://www.cerritoscenter.com/event_calendar/upload/Ed%20McMahon.jpg

Hi-OOOOO!!!!

DAINTX
11-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Listing of the net worth of the NBA's owners as compiled by USA Today Sports. I do not vouch for it's accuracy.

Owner Team Net worth
Paul Allen Portland $20 billion
Micky Arison Miami $5.3 billion
Rich DeVos Orlando $3 billion
William Davidson Detroit $2.8 billion
Glen Taylor Minnesota $1.8 billion
Melvin Simon Indiana $1.6 billion
E. Stanley Kroenke Denver $1.4 billion
Mark Cuban Dallas $1.3 billion
Herb Simon Indiana $1.2 billion
Michael E. Heisley Memphis $850 million
Robert Johnson Charlotte $750 million
Howard Schultz Seattle $700 million
Donald Sterling L.A. Clippers $500 million
Cablevision New York $494 million
Larry Miller Utah $480 million
Dan Gilbert Cleveland $478 million
Bruce Ratner New Jersey $400 million
Robert Sarver Phoenix $400 million
Jerry Buss L.A. Lakers $380 million
Wyc Grousbeck Boston $360 million
Chris Cohan Golden State $325 million
Ed Snider Philadelphia $310 million
Steve Belkin Atlanta $300 million
Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment Toronto $297 million
Jerry Reinsdorf Chicago $280 million
Herb Kohl Milwaukee $279 million
Abe Pollin Washington $180 million
George Shinn New Orleans $100 million
Joe Maloof Sacramento $100 million
Gavin Maloof Sacramento $100 million
Leslie Alexander Houston $80 million
Peter Holt San Antonio $80 million

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Once upon a time nearly the entire forum was supportive of losing talent over $. A few were not.

Welcome aboard.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2007, 07:33 PM
:lmao @ anyone who thinks owners shouldn't be involved in their businesses. Every owner cares about the bottom line, why should the Spurs be any different?

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
So we're fans of the P&L statement and not the game. Grand.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
You're only a fan of your own bitching as far as I can tell.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Sometimes. Depends on the drink.

Anyways, the forum has finally seen the light.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Until the next bad Scola game, at least.

This is the NBA and it's how teams are run. All of them.

picnroll
11-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I have zero problems with Holt setting a ceiling on spending similar to what almost all other owners ceilings are and then holding the front office accountable for mistakes in signings.Whoever is assessing talent has done a sub par job since the Parker drafting.

ploto
11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Yes, why don't you link all those threads where people said Beno did not have any talent?

Wow. The Kings are going after San Antonio's table scraps. Looking for inside information? Because they couldn't be after his "talent".

I never saw where this "talent" was either. He liked to go to his left, stop, and shoot the jumper. He had trouble bringing up the ball under pressure. He wasn't a good passer.

He did have bad work ethic, but I don't think it was hiding all of his "talent."

I never thought the talent and skills were there in the first place. He was good for the first few months of his rookie season, but as soon as teams had a chance to find his many weaknesses and scout him, and then exploit those weaknesses, he was really not that good.

What I am trying to say is that he would of needed the work ethic of Michael Jordan to turn into even a marginal starting PG. The base, the skills required to be a success in the NBA were just never there in my opinion just as I said when I listed his strengths and weaknesses earlier, which I think were pretty hard to argue or disagree with.

All NBA players are capable of having games where they look like a star, it doesn't mean they have the talent to perform like that every game, even if they worked hard.

He has shown a sweet stroke, but outside of that, i'm not sure about his talent and skills.

Need more??

ploto
11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I have zero problems with Holt setting a ceiling on spending similar to what almost all other owners ceilings are and then holding the front office accountable for mistakes in signings.Whoever is assessing talent has done a sub par job since the Parker drafting.
Holt is not just involved in this way-- he is involved in player personnel decisions about specific players. I don't have a problem with that- what I have is a problem with pretending he isn't, when he is.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2007, 09:24 PM
:lol Who the hell cares about the perception of Holt involvement in personnel decisions? Most people don't even know who he is. This is getting ridiculous.

timvp
11-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Holt is not just involved in this way-- he is involved in player personnel decisions about specific players. I don't have a problem with that- what I have is a problem with pretending he isn't, when he is.I still can't believe you think it was Holt's idea to ship Rasho off.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Beno sucked balls as a Spur.

The article has a point with Scola and the trade, but gimme a break - Udrih was a fucking scrub here in SA and everyone saw it.

Quit being such a whitey lover.

itzsoweezee
11-21-2007, 12:00 AM
trade that fucker Holt. cheap bastards should not be owning nba teams.