PDA

View Full Version : Santa delivers generous holiday schedule to Nuggets' families

ducks
12-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Santa delivers generous holiday schedule to Nuggets' families
Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News

As Andre Miller emerges from the locker room, he is shadowed by an entourage of one.

Dressed in a powder-blue Denver Nuggets sweatsuit, Miller's sidekick looks the part. His faith is unquestioned, his loyalty unconditional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Duane Miller is happy hanging with Dad, but it would be tough to top the joy that Andre Miller gets from spending the holiday with his 5-year-old son.

"I'm going to take him wherever I go because I don't get a lot of time with him," Miller said. "I take advantage of it."

Because of the NBA schedule makers, Miller is getting plenty of quality time with Duane, whom he sees for only about two weeks during the season.

Since returning from a seven- game Eastern Conference trip, the Nuggets are in the midst of a 20-day stretch in which they play only six games.

Perhaps more important, the schedule does not require Denver to travel on Christmas Eve or Christmas, allowing the players to enjoy the holiday with families.

"The schedule works well for us this year," said coach Jeff Bzdelik, who will give the team the day off Saturday. "Last year, we spent Christmas serving meals to the homeless and those who aren't as fortunate as we are. We plan on doing that again this year."

With more than 16 years experience in the NBA as a coach and a scout, Bzdelik is well aware that spreading holiday cheer is part of the job description.

As an assistant with the Miami Heat in 1997, he had to say goodbye to his wife, Nina, and his two children, Brett and Courtney, on Christmas Eve.

The Heat had a Christmas game against Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Brett was 8 at the time, Courtney 4.

"They understand now that they're older, but when you're in the elementary years, that's tough," Bzdelik said.

Simone Cooper knows the feeling.

The daughter of Nuggets assistant Michael Cooper, Simone and her two brothers were relegated to watching their father on TV on Christmas while he starred for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Cooper and the Lakers played road games on Dec. 25 three times from 1981-88. Two other times, Christmas fell while the Lakers were in the middle of extended trips.

"I was so young that I don't think it's really scarred me," Simone Cooper said. "It was definitely different. All the kids in school, they had their parents. I realized that mine was out getting bread. But we always had real good presents."

Denver center Marcus Camby twice played on Christmas while with the New York Knicks, but that was before he became a father.

Camby, who treated 14 underprivileged children to a shopping spree Thursday, will spend his second Christmas with his 2-year-old daughter, Milan.

"I'll see her tear open some gifts," Camby said. "Dora the Explorer. I see that girl in my sleep."

Bryon Russell can multiply the discarded gift wrapping by three as he spends the holiday with his 9-year- old daughter, Brittani, and his 6-year-old twin boys, Brandon and Kajun.

With school on holiday break, Brandon already has caught the eye of Nuggets coaching consultant Doug Moe, who marveled at the boy's precocious hardwood skills.

"He's all right," Russell said, exercising modesty rare among many parents. "He's 6 years old and he shoots at the 10-foot goal. He's already doing good for himself. I'm hoping he'll be coming into his own."

In addition to allowing Russell and his teammates more time to spend with their family, the holiday schedule also will give the Nuggets a chance to get healthy.

Forward Carmelo Anthony has missed the past three games - all Denver losses - because of a sprained left ankle; forward Nene remains bothered by a bruised right hip; and Camby and guard Greg Buckner are battling bronchitis.

Bzdelik said Anthony is ahead of schedule and could play Sunday against the Dallas Mavericks. Losers of six of seven, the Nuggets need everyone healthy while trying to end a two-week slump.

"Everyone brings something different to the team to help this team be as good as it can be," Bzdelik said. "We need to be going on all cylinders."

NO DEAL: Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe came up empty in his attempt to add a shooting guard to the roster, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Vandeweghe made the Atlanta Hawks an offer involving draft picks for Jon Barry, but the Hawks instead traded the former Denver guard to the Houston Rockets for Tyronn Lue.

Barry averaged 6.2 points in 57 games for the Nuggets last season. He would have filled Denver's need for a reliable shooter who also could serve as an emergency point guard.

Instead, the Nuggets were unable to use their $1.6 million salary-cap exemption that was granted after they lost starting shooting guard Voshon Lenard to a season-ending injury.

The exemption expired at midnight Thursday.

[email protected] or 303-892-5388