PDA

View Full Version : In Addition to Paul, Hornets Lose Chandler

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Chandler injures knee as shorthanded Hornets play without Paul
ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 19, 2007, 11:50 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS -- Already playing without starting point guard Chris Paul, the Hornets lost starting center Tyson Chandler in the second quarter of Monday night's game against the Orlando Magic when he hyperextended his right knee.

Chandler was on crutches after the game, but smiled and said X-rays showed no ligament tears or broken bones. He added he may even return for the Hornets' next game on Wednesday night at home against Indiana.

"I'm feeling good," Chandler said. "I'm hoping not to miss anything."

The Hornets put up a fight but eventually lost to the Magic 95-88. Both teams had entered the game at 9-2.

Chandler was starting to run back to the Hornets' defensive end after a missed runner by Peja Stojakovic when he nearly tripped over a couple of players, including Stojakovic, as he turned up floor. He then took one more awkward step before collapsing, writhing in pain.

Trainers helped him to the locker room.

"I stepped on something and my whole leg went backwards and then it went numb and I thought: 'Oh god, I either tore something or I broke something.'"

Hilton Armstrong came in to replace him.

Chandler has been a force inside for the Hornets since the middle of last season, regularly getting double-doubles in points and rebounds.

This season, he was averaging 11.4 points and 11.5 rebounds per game as the Hornets got off to a franchise-best 9-2 start.

Paul's sprained right ankle kept him out of a second straight game.

Head coach Byron Scott said Paul was still sore and didn't put up much of a fight when told he was going to sit another game out.

"He's still got a little swelling there," Scott said. "He still had a noticeable limp.

"If this was game seven of the playoffs he could play," Scott continued. "But this is the 12th game of the season and he's about 50 percent. There's really no need for him to go out there and try to play right now and risk getting it even worse. So we'll wait and see how he feels for Wednesday's game" at home against Indiana.

Scott started Jannero Pargo in Paul's place, while veteran Bobby Jackson remained in his role as the Hornets' first man off the bench.

Paul averaged 19.5 points and 10.8 assists through the Hornets' first 10 games, during which New Orleans was 8-2. With Pargo starting in his spot Saturday night in Minnesota, the Hornets won 100-82. Pargo scored 15 points.

Orlando handed the Boston Celtics their first loss of the season a night earlier in Orlando.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3119561

Findog
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Those guys can never stay healthy. Last season for them was derailed by injuries. I was really counting on them to leapfrog the Warriors this year and shut them out of the playoffs.

anakha
11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Paul, now Chandler?

All you need is news of another Peja injury and you could start calling this franchise snakebit.

exstatic
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Those guys can never stay healthy. Last season for them was derailed by injuries. I was really counting on them to leapfrog the Warriors this year and shut them out of the playoffs.
I'll just bet you were. :lol:rollin

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 01:51 PM
It's a hyperextended knee. A bit of a far cry from a torn ACL for people to be getting so crazy.

sribb43
11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
did anyone not expect this?

bdictjames
11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Chandler = stud.

If Duncan or Bowen dont make it, Im pulling for him to win DPOY.

kingsfan
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
He won't be out long hopefully. Poor Hornets get ex-Kings and inherit the injury curse. Without Chandler and Paul they won't go far. Tyson is definitely a stud.

Armando
11-20-2007, 07:49 PM

:lol

1Parker1
11-21-2007, 07:20 AM
This is probably one of the main reasons I'd take Deron Williams over Chris Paul...he seems very injury-prone.

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2007, 07:26 AM
thats how noh are

they either peak to early in the season against teams that are unfit or battling injuries

then late in the season, they are either injured, or running into a healthy team who underachieved early in the season....

the 7-8th seeds in teh west are up for grabs, as 1-6 seeds are deadly locked for the western powerhouses....